flymia

Sometimes I Just Hate Cops.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Well here is a story of why sometimes I just hate cops, or speed limits in the United States. I am driving down I-95 tonight or early this mourning its around 1:30am. So there is not much traffic, I just cruise around 88mph which in my opinion is completely safe and reasonable especially compared to some of the speeds I hit when the roads are empty but the speed limit is 55mph!

Anyway while I am passing someone I see a Miami-Dade County Police officer so I slow down to the speed he is going at than I pass him very slowly maybe 1 or 2mph faster than he pulls right behind so I slow down to about 66mph and set the cruise control the cop stays behind me for about 4 miles At this point I am thinking he is going to give me a ticket once I get off the highway. Anyway a car two lanes to my left passes everyone going maybe 75mph, well the cop just pulls away from me and pulls this poor person over. This cop was just waiting to find a ticket to add to his record. This guy was not driving irresponsibly he was in the passing lane going a little bit faster than traffic, completely safe.
I just don’t get it, what is wrong about going 80mph on a straight, dry, empty highway at night? Why are speed limits so low? I understand cops in School zones and residential areas, these are places I don’t speed in but on a empty highway a cop just waiting to give a ticket just makes me mad, just seems like a waste of time for the officer while he can be protecting the streets from actual dangers not someone driving a little bit fast on a highway.

Anyone else feel this way about speed limits or cops who are just out there to give someone a ticket? A highway speed limit should atleast be 65mph.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

baylorairbear

RE: Sometimes I Just Hate Cops.

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:36 pm

I never get tired of these threads. If everyone will wait just a few minutes for me to microwave some popcorn, I'd greatly appreciate it.

BAB yes 
I'm just skipping stones...

IAH777

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:37 pm

IAH777

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:50 pm

Seriously...if I could give you a ticket for posting this thread, I would. Anyone else up for a road trip? ANC? Itsjustme? Et al?

Quoting FlyMIA (Thread starter):
This cop was just waiting to find a ticket to add to his record.

Asinine and factually baseless. You have no fecking idea what he was doing.

just seems like a waste of time for the officer while he can be protecting the streets from actual dangers not someone driving a little bit fast on a highway.

Yeah sure Just another way of saying, "Shouldn't you be out catching murderers and rapists?" Interestingly, it sounds just as douchey.

I just cruise around 88mph which in my opinion is completely safe and reasonable

At 88 mph, your stopping distance is ~1620ft. And that's just an estimate without figuring reaction time (which is increased at night) with decent tires and dry pavement. At 55mph, ~633ft.  scratchchin 

Source: http://www.csgnetwork.com/stopdistcalc.html

flymia

Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:59 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 3):

A county police officer just cruising down the highway at 68mph. And than all of a sudden pulls over the first person who passes him over 72mph? What else was he doing?

At 88 mph, your stopping distance is ~1620ft. And that's just an estimate without figuring reaction time (which is increased at night) with decent tires and dry pavement. At 55mph, ~633ft.

So you telling me the Autobahn is a unsafe highway to drive on since people cruise at 120mph on that highway.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

fxramper

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 1):
I never get tired of these threads. If everyone will wait just a few minutes for me to microwave some popcorn, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Agreed.  checkmark 

You know how many law enforcement officers are a member of this site?

flamed 

CRJ705

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:05 pm

88 miles per hour is considered safe at night? If it was early morning when there was sunlight, then I would most definitely agree with you. I speed, but within reason and definitely not going that fast at night. Your visibility is significantly reduced at such high speeds, and going 88 would probably be overdriving your headlights (where your light does not reach far enough ahead to spot an object in your stopping distance). Stopping distances are not linear, and grows exponentially as you go faster. Unlike the Europeans, which have a lot of experiences with speed and their vehicles come with headlights engineered for those speeds, most North American cars do not have that type of equipment. I used to drive everyone home at night, and the fastest I ever went on an abandoned road at night was about 75 miles per hour, and if a deer (or a pedestrian, like some drunk person) would have jumped into my path my car would have been toast. The speed limit was 55, and the cop did not seem like he was that unjustified to pull him over if he was going 20 miles per hour over the speed limit. Most police officers give about 5-10 miles per hour of leeway when it comes to speeding, and this person clearly exceeded that.

All that being said, I do like driving fast, and that is one of the reasons I like going to Germany so much. I drive fast with no pressure to look out for radar or hitting a pothole (Albertan roads arn't exactly smooth) when I am on the sections of the Autobahn with no speed limits. I also agree that most roads have ridiculously low speed limits, and that most modern cars are capable of exceeding those limits safely, assuming visibility is good and traffic is light. I am hoping that if provincial/state governments receive more money for infrastructure, that we would improve the quality of the roads, raise the licencing standards, and increase most of the speed limits in North America. Until then there is always Germany...

Regards
CRJ705

Edit: Regarding the Autobahn comment posted, German cars (at least the ones I drove) came with aimers for their headlights, so they can be aimed at varying distances, and the farthest I have aimed it made me feel safe cruising at 90 miles per hour. The Autobahn might have unlimited speed limits, but at night most people use common sense and don't drive over 100miles per hour. During the daytime it is much easier to anticipate problems and adapt to them, and as such I got passed doing 120 miles per hour, but at night I got passed very infrequently going 80 miles per hour.

[Edited 2006-12-23 09:11:03]

AeroWesty

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 1):
If everyone will wait just a few minutes for me to microwave some popcorn, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll share some of my licorice whips for some popcorn.
International Homo of Mystery

flymia

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:15 pm

Quoting CRJ705 (Reply 6):
Your visibility is significantly reduced at such high speeds, and going 88 would probably be overdriving your headlights (where your light does not reach far enough ahead to spot an object in your stopping distance). Stopping distances are not linear, and grows exponentially as you go faster. Unlike the Europeans, which have a lot of experiences with speed and their vehicles come with headlights engineered for those speeds, most North American cars do not have that type of equipment. I used to drive everyone home at night, and the fastest I ever went on an abandoned road at night was about 75 miles per hour, and if a deer (or a pedestrian, like some drunk person) would have jumped into my path my car would have been toast.

Well first I drive a German car, made to be driven on the autobahn with good headlights and big breaks. ( but not those aimer headlights )
But I am talking about a well lighted interstate in the middle of Miami, no deers and plenty of street lights. I would never speed on a dark rural road. Whenever I am driving over 80mph I will always be looking whats ahead like cars on the side of the road or even the very rare pedestrian on the interstate.

I guess I really need to visit Germany some day and rent a nice car.  

[Edited 2006-12-23 09:17:25]

[Edited 2006-12-23 09:18:14]

FlyingTexan

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:20 pm

yea this will be another fun thread . . .

just cruise around 88mph which in my opinion is completely safe and reasonable

you pay your own insurance? are the rates reasonable?

cause and effect anyone?
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

flymia

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:25 pm

I guess my driving habbitats belong in Europe. Its not like I overtake cars on the right and cut in and out of traffic. I am talking about passing from the left lane and going on a straight dry highway at 88mph (which really is 85mph since my spedo is +3mph) in a car which is made to hit speeds over 130mph.

IAH777

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:31 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):

::bites:: WTF? This isn't licorice! This is....leather?!? Wrong bag, dear.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 4):
A county police officer just cruising down the highway at 68mph. And than all of a sudden pulls over the first person who passes him over 72mph? What else was he doing?

Let's see if I can remember that equation from my time at the Common Sense Academy...

already over the speed limit (x) + passing a cop (y) = asking for it (r²)

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 4):
So you telling me the Autobahn is a unsafe highway to drive on since people cruise at 120mph on that highway.

Perhaps not for someone with more than 10 minutes of driving experience. Additionally, (if I'm not mistaken) access to the 'Bahn is a little more controlled than I-95.

IAH777

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 10):
habbitats

Going for "habitats" or "Hobbit tits" here?

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 10):
in a car which is made to hit speeds over 130mph.

I believe you'll find your VW is "capable" of that speed. That is infinitely different than "made for." The speedometer on my Yukon goes to 120, but I'll bet if you ask GMC they'll advise you not to do it. Not to mention I don't think it could hit 120 falling off a cliff with a tail wind, but I digress.

flymia

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:39 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 11):
Let's see if I can remember that equation from my time at the Common Sense Academy...

already over the speed limit (x) + passing a cop (y) = asking for it (r²)

Yes true thats why once I passed the cop my self I stayed at a steady speed which was about about 10 over the limit. I think this guy thought the cop would not pull him over or he just did not see him. But I just dont think 72-75mph is a justifible ticket since just 10miles north of where the guy was pulled over the speed limit is 65mph on the same highway but different county.

AeroWesty

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:48 pm

Oh dearie! My bad.  ziplip  I should do better than just label things "whips". (But then BAB would be over here every night and I'd have to start saying things like "bugger off" to him, and he'd get quite cross.)

IAH777

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 14):
(But then BAB would be over here every night...

As if he's not already.

baylorairbear

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the guy that was pulled over received a ticket?

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

AeroWesty

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:54 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 16):
the guy that was pulled

Now, stop all that sex talk!

ACDC8

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:06 pm

I'll get it on this one if you don't mind. I don't know about the US, but up here in Canada, more or less BC, the speedlimits are a joke. The "fastest" road we have is 110km/h. Most highways that have been improved by adding extra lanes, longer curves have not only had the speedlimits stay the same, some parts have actually had the speedlimits reduced! But of course, the big scare tactic from our Government owned insurance company (ICBC), is "Speed Kills". What a load of propaganda! Speed does not kill, stupid driving does and there is a big difference between the two.

Again, I can't say much about the US, but around here, that is exactly what they do. ICBC (insurance company) is low on cash, they go out on a big "campaign" and the RCMP fill their quota.

At 88 mph, your stopping distance is ~1620ft. And that's just an estimate without figuring reaction time (which is increased at night) with decent tires and dry pavement. At 55mph, ~633ft

What is your point with this? The faster you go, the longer you stopping distance is. If your car is mechanically sound, the road/weather/traffic conditons are OK and you are in control of the vehicle, there is no reason not to speed.

German cars (at least the ones I drove) came with aimers for their headlights, so they can be aimed at varying distances, and the farthest I have aimed it made me feel safe cruising at 90 miles per hour.

These are used to keep your headlights low when you are towing a trailer or have a heavy load in the back of the car, this way you don't blind oncoming traffic. Also, they are quite usefull while driving in fog at night. But the highest level is not much different then a normal lowbeam.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

aloges

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 8):
I guess I really need to visit Germany some day and rent a nice car.

Yes, because we definitely need more people speeding. Just FYI, the "recommended speed limit" is 130 km/h. If you're faster than that and get into an accident, part of the blame will be on you. And if you speed recklessly and cause an accident, the fine will be hefty.

Additionally, (if I'm not mistaken) access to the 'Bahn is a little more controlled than I-95.

All vehicles to enter it must be capable of doing more than 60 km/h, for example. All exits have on- and off-ramps.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 18):
German cars (at least the ones I drove) came with aimers for their headlights, so they can be aimed at varying distances, and the farthest I have aimed it made me feel safe cruising at 90 miles per hour.

These are used to keep your headlights low when you are towing a trailer or have a heavy load in the back of the car, this way you don't blind oncoming traffic. Also, they are quite usefull while driving in fog at night. But the highest level is not much different then a normal lowbeam.

checkmark 

[Edited 2006-12-23 10:21:09]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:20 pm

88 mph is speeding. You deserve to get a ticket. The law doesn't give a shit where your car was made or that you chose to break the law out of spite.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 8):
good headlights and big breaks.

Besides, you shouldn't be driving a broken car at that speed.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

IAH777

Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:28 pm

...there is no reason not to speed.

Except its the law. That sounds to me like "Its not illegal if no one gets hurt." I understand your point. But the bottom line is if you choose to exceed the speed limit, part of that is accepting the possibility that you might get a citation.

What is your point with this?

That can be answered with this guy's statement....

The faster you go, the longer you stopping distance is.

Especially at night, a driver's sight distance is dramatically decreased. At 88mph, you're over-driving your headlights' ability to pick-up possible hazards ahead. Pair that with standard reaction time and it sounds like a pretty decent argument for lower speeds.

All that being said, I'm a huge hypocrite when it comes to speed. I've found my comfort level on a well-lit, familiar, controlled-access highway is around 80mph. But I sure wouldn't in a 55 zone when I see a cop. That's just stupid.

VonRichtofen

Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Speed is not always dangerous as people over here make it out to be. European highways are signifigantly faster than in North America yet their accident rate is half of what it is over here. The reason: Drivers education, they actually teach people how to drive on a freeway (left lane=fast lane, etc.), and the police actually enforce these rules.

There's talk of lowering the speed limit on our freeway here in Calgary from 100km/h to 80km/h  Yeah sure because of so many accidents, but the freeway is so busy that you can rarely do 60km/h anyway so I'm really sure it's speed that's causing the accidents.  Yeah sure

Kris

NeilYYZ

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:09 pm

If you go over the posted limit, and get caught, too friggin' bad! Deal with it, the limits were set for a reason, to keep you safe, if you don't like it, pack up all your crap and move to Germany, I'm sure Lufthansa flies out of MIA.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

miamiair

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:46 pm

I just cruise around 88mph which in my opinion is completely safe and reasonable especially compared to some of the speeds I hit when the roads are empty but the speed limit is 55mph!

30 mph over the limit is reckless driving and is an arrestable offense.

You don't know if the other driver was cited do you?

You have been driving for how long?

I would hate to see you crying if you were the one that got cited. Quit your bitching and grow up.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

OU812

Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:53 pm

. This cop was just waiting to find a ticket to add to his record.

How do you know if this other person got a ticket? Also,the cop might have pulled this person over because he/she looked suspicious. He needed a reason to pull this person over.

I just don't get it, what is wrong about going 80mph on a straight, dry, empty highway at night?

It's against the law. And at night is when more bad people come out.

Anyone else feel this way about speed limits or cops who are just out there to give someone a ticket?

They're just doing there jobs. You know what's worse when dealing with speeding? While I was in Phoenix visting my Uncle this passed Oct.. I was photographed on [I think] I-10 doing 77 mph. 1 mph over the speed thresshold. I got the ticket from the radar/photo company when I returned from my vacation. Could not dispute it. If I got pulled over by a cop. The cop would have saw I haven't had a moving violation since the 80's and let me go with a warning or a seat belt ticket.

I think you're being a bit hard on cops. Police already get a bum rap. Give them a break.

Go3Team

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:04 pm

Either way, you both were asking for it. The cop probably knew you were hauling ass, but some I imagine have their own rules for when they will write a ticket. I got one the other day that really didn't make sense at all, but I am owning up to it. I was busted at 58 in a 45 while looking at a 55 sign just a few feet from where I was stopped. This was my first moving violation in 5 years, and I had driven around 650,000 miles since then. I sure did wish death, cancer, and all kinds of evil shit on the trooper, but in the end, it is my fault.

One place comes to mind, where the cops don't really bother people, unless they are really being an ass, and thats I-495 around Wash. DC. I have passed, and been passed by Cops at 75 (its 55 all the way around) and never have had a problem. I have seen people pulled over, but didn't see what they did. I have even broke down on 495, in the freezing cold and snow, and not one cop/trooper/deputy stopped to check on me in the 12 hours I was there. I am sure I was pretty close to hypothermia that night.
Yay Pudding!

pelican

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:33 pm

The Autobahn might have unlimited speed limits, but at night most people use common sense and don't drive over 100miles per hour. During the daytime it is much easier to anticipate problems and adapt to them, and as such I got passed doing 120 miles per hour, but at night I got passed very infrequently going 80 miles per hour.

Bah common sense is boring. 260kph all the time... Big grin

Back to original topic. If it's a law cops have to enforce them. Isn't that the genuine purpose of cops - to enforce the law?

I could endlessly rant about some stupid speed limits and fines here in Germany. Like why would I get the same fine for doing 10kph more on a road with a speed limit of 100kph as for doing 10kph more on a road with a limit of 30kph? That's stupid!
Nonetheless if I'm caught breaking one I wouldn't argue with a cop. Cops don't make neither laws nor speed limits.

pelican

NeilYYZ

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Quoting Pelican (Reply 27):
Cops don't make neither laws nor speed limits.

That fact seems to be lost on a lot of people, the reality is, the police are sworn to protect and uphold the law, it's not supposed to be up to their interpretation, or ours. If you don't agree with a specified charge, that's why trials and judges exist. And the speed limit is a pretty black and white issue, you were either above the limit or you were not.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

ajd1992

Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:38 pm

I've joined late on in this thread, but here's my 2p. You hate a police officer for doing his job? Think about it... sounds stupid in reality.

Cadet57

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 29):
u hate a police officer for doing his job? Think about it... sounds stupid in reality.

Well shit... You and I agree on somethin!  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

KFLLCFII

Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 13):
But I just dont think 72-75mph is a justifible ticket since just 10miles north of where the guy was pulled over the speed limit is 65mph on the same highway but different county.

I'm gonna have to add my two cents in on this one, because there's a big distinction that needs to be made.

Have you paid attention to the physical road surface conditions on I-95 in Miami-Dade County vs. Broward County?

Have you noticed how much more concrete was used vs. asphalt for surfacing in Miami-Dade, which has been allowed to crack, chip, and dent over time? Have you also noticed how much closer the exits are spaced, and how much more limited the visibility around corners is, since there's almost always a bridge associated with a turn?

Drive 88mph on I-95 in Miami-Dade, with or without heavy traffic, and you're looking for the scene of the accident. REGARDLESS of what kind of car you drive.

(Or, you're just looking to travel through time.  Wink )
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

vikkyvik

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:22 am

But I just dont think 72-75mph is a justifible ticket since just 10miles north of where the guy was pulled over the speed limit is 65mph on the same highway but different county.

So you KNOW that the speed limit is lower, but you still want to drive just as fast?

I don't get it.

I haven't seen you make any good arguments, really. It comes down to the fact that the speed limit is the law. End of story.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

flymia

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 16):
Just out of curiosity, how do you know the guy that was pulled over received a ticket?

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 24):
You don't know if the other driver was cited do you?

I am just using this as an example, I have a friend who got a ticket at 2am for going 72mph on I-95. I also have a friend who got pulled over when an unmarked police car pulled up behind him so the guy speed up to change into the right lane and let the guy pass, once he increased his speed the cop put his lights on and gave him a ticket.
I understand the cop is just doing his job, but there are more important jobs a Miami-Dade county police officer can be doing, I thought the Highway Patrol should patrol the highways? I dont mind police officers stopping people from speeding in residential areas ect... But on a clear night on a empty highway I just dont see the point.

I guess what I am really against is the speed limit system and how easy it is to get a license to drive in this country.

Cadet57

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 33):
I guess what I am really against is the speed limit system and how easy it is to get a license to drive in this country.

Yeah... I know what you mean with all those kids doing 88 on a 55 road..  sarcastic 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

RobertNL070

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 34):
I know what you mean with all those kids doing 88 on a 55 road..

...and then whinging when they get pulled over and ticketed  Yeah sure
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

TPAnx

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:54 am

IIRC, thread-starter has posted this sort of argument before. Feels that he has the right to set his own limit. Probably also feels indestructible..as so many kids his age do.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 31):
Drive 88mph on I-95 in Miami-Dade, with or without heavy traffic, and you're looking for the scene of the accident. REGARDLESS of what kind of car you drive.

I've been passed by someone in the breakdown lane doing about 85..at night.
It's not much more fun in the daytime...
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

ANCFlyer

Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:56 am

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Seriously...if I could give you a ticket for posting this thread, I would. Anyone else up for a road trip? ANC? Itsjustme? Et al?

Yup, but there's no charge in Alaska for Driving while Sniveling like a Third Grader.
. . . . .

So let me see if I get this right . . .

You're blowing down the highway some 30 mph over the limit.

You slow down when you see a Miami/Dade Cty Cop.

He trails you for a bit - likely running your plate number and any wants/warrants. He finds none - I'm guessing. But he stays with you and doesn't stop you. Hmmmm, he's accomplished his mission of slowing you down and hasn't caused you any harm.

Then . . .

Some moron passes you both, exceeding the speed limit, without so much as blinking an eye.

The cop pulls this guy over. And you presume there was a citation issued.

Conclusion:

First, the officer didn't stop or ticket you. He did however get you to slow down. Officer 1, FlyMIA 0

Second, an idiot blows by the two of you, and the officer stops him, not you, for being stupid enough to blow by the two of you at an excessive speed. Officer 2, FlyMIA 0

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 24):
Quit your bitching and grow up.

checkmark 

I love these threads every couple weeks . . . . they are entertaining and the OP is usually shown to be . . . well, juvenile.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):

rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

David L

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:03 am

This cop was just waiting to find a ticket to add to his record. This guy was not driving irresponsibly he was in the passing lane going a little bit faster than traffic, completely safe.

Isn't it his job to patrol the highways and stop anyone he sees who's breaking the law?

What has the speed limit "somewhere else" got to do with anything? You can argue all you like about the "stupidity" of a particular law but you can't be surprised if you get busted for breaking it. When I was 16-20, I probably thought I knew it all, too.

At 88 mph, your stopping distance is ~1620ft. And that's just an estimate without figuring reaction time (which is increased at night) with decent tires and dry pavement. At 55mph, ~633ft

What is your point with this? The faster you go, the longer you stopping distance is. If your car is mechanically sound, the road/weather/traffic conditons are OK and you are in control of the vehicle, there is no reason not to speed.

So, 500 mph would be "OK" as long as the road/weather/traffic conditions are OK and you are in control of the vehicle? You'd be quite happy knowing that if there's a pile-up something like half a mile in front of you, you'd have no chance of avoiding it? The point is that you seriously reduce your chances of avoiding something ahead the faster you go. Visibility, road conditions and vehicle control are only part of the story. Basic physics is a major part.

AirWillie6475

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 33):
understand the cop is just doing his job, but there are more important jobs a Miami-Dade county police officer can be doing, I thought the Highway Patrol should patrol the highways? I dont mind police officers stopping people from speeding in residential areas ect... But on a clear night on a empty highway I just dont see the point.

Well everybody knows that they have to give out tickets, that's how they generate revenue, if they don't, they get ball busting by their superiors. If you happen to be on the radar of a cop at the end of the month watch out! Still regualr cops are fine, I have a problem with airport police. But that's a whole different thread. Is anybody out there an airport police?

ACDC8

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 21):
Except its the law. That sounds to me like "Its not illegal if no one gets hurt." I understand your point. But the bottom line is if you choose to exceed the speed limit, part of that is accepting the possibility that you might get a citation.

True, to a point. It is the law, if you break it, you have to accept the chance and responsibility of getting caught. But, when laws (speedlimits) are put in place and enforced for purposes other then the publics safety, thats not right. School zones are 30km/h, and there is a very valid reason for this. Cities and built up areas are 50-60km/h, and there are very valid reasons for these. But when a highway gets 2 extra lanes added, made straighter and flater, the speedlimit reduced from 80km/h to 70km/h, then you have the local RCMP sitting at both ends pulling over people for "speeding", that is not law enforcement, that is just a straight out tax grab. Now, I'm not blaming the members of the RCMP for this, they are just doing there job, but I do blame the Government for their greedy pocketbooks. Also, the law here states that if you go up to 15km/h over the limit, the officer does not have to pull you over, it's up to there discretion. Sounds reasonbable, but unfortunatly, they do let personal issues play into this. If they are having a bad day, your chances of getting a ticket are higher then if they are in a better mood.

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 21):
Especially at night, a driver's sight distance is dramatically decreased. At 88mph, you're over-driving your headlights' ability to pick-up possible hazards ahead. Pair that with standard reaction time and it sounds like a pretty decent argument for lower speeds.

Again, I agree to a point. Your visibility distance is reduced at night, but cars today have much greater visibility then they did 20 or 30 years ago but the speedlimits (again, I am referring locally here) are very rarely adjusted accordingly. Cars today are faster, stop quicker and have various safety features such as ABS and a stability feature to provide quicker and safer stops. Roads are improved by adding extra lanes, better road markings, fences to keep out wildlife and dividers in the middle. But yet, speed limits remain the same as they did 30 years ago. That makes no sense what so ever.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 22):
Speed is not always dangerous as people over here make it out to be. European highways are signifigantly faster than in North America yet their accident rate is half of what it is over here. The reason: Drivers education, they actually teach people how to drive on a freeway (left lane=fast lane, etc.), and the police actually enforce these rules.

Exactly! Drivers education here is an absolute joke. No need to go to driving school, just let mom and dad teach you all there bad habits. But of course, that doesn't cause accidents, going 20km/h over the ridiculously low speed limit does. Another thing about safety in Europe such as in Germany. Every 2 years your vehicle must go through a stict safety inspection. If your car fails, you don't get any insurance. IIRC, Alberta has something similar to this in place, do they not? But in BC, the amount of vehicles driving around that should be pulled off the road is alarming. But again, its speed that kills.

If I get a ticket, I accept it and don't blame anyone (but the Government and ICBC), but when the issuing officer starts up with his/her "Do you know why I pulled you over?" spiel and starts lecturing me on the dangers of speeding, then I get pissy at the officer. Just write me the damn thing so I can be on my way.

ACDC8

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting David L (Reply 38):
So, 500 mph would be "OK" as long as the road/weather/traffic conditions are OK and you are in control of the vehicle?

Let's not get too carried away now, shall we?

You'd be quite happy knowing that if there's a pile-up something like half a mile in front of you, you'd have no chance of avoiding it?

Again, depending on the road conditons, good vehicle maintanence, vehicle control (which includes keeping your eyes farther then 50ft down the road) there is no reason why you can not drive faster and still have enough time to stop for a hazard. There are just as many people who hit hazards while driving less then the speed limit as there are people driving faster.

The point is that you seriously reduce your chances of avoiding something ahead the faster you go. Visibility, road conditions and vehicle control are only part of the story. Basic physics is a major part.

I agree, your stopping time/distance increases the faster you go. But again, visiblity, conditions and control are the major factors in this, period. Physics also plays a major role in this, but the bottom line is, if the conditons and your vehicle and ability allow it, driving faster can be very safe.

Now, just to make a few extra points here. Having lived the last 10 years in Germany, the comparison of speed limits between there and Canada is mind boggling. I'm not even going to bother talking about the Autobahn, as most of us who have driven it know very well how it's built and how safe it is. Lets use the Bundesstrassen for arguments sake. How is it, that a narrow, windy, busy, roads/driveways coming in and out of it, road has a speedlimit of 100km/h yet a major divided highway that has very few exits/entrances and only half the traffic as a Bundesstrasse, only has a speedlimit of 90 or 80km/h?

It all comes down to driver education, vehicle and road maintanence, vehicle control and traffic, weather and road conditions. Pure and simple. Physics are the same in Germany as they are in British Columbia. Yet we have more accidents with lower speedlimits, go figure.

David L

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:51 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 40):

Exactly! Drivers education here is an absolute joke.

We still get busted for speeding here. Again, that's not the fault of the police. They don't set the speed limit but they do have to enforce whatever limit is set.

As for the "I'm a safe driver" argument, how would one set speed limits based on differing driver ability? You have to set one limit and it would be foolish to gear that to the safest drivers. We all think we're safe, capable drivers, even those "idiots" we see around us.  Smile

I'd love to see our police focus more on tailgating, overtaking on the inside, hogging the outside lane, last minute lane-changes, etc. but that's no excuse to break the speed limit. Of course I don't always stick to the speed limit but I'd have no defence if I was caught.

left lane=fast lane

In the UK that misconception causes a few problems (even substituting "right lane"). The outside lane is for overtaking traffic in the middle/inside lane, the middle lane is for overtaking traffic in the inside lane. That might not be what you meant but there are some here who think the outside lane is for anyone travelling at speeds above some arbitrary value - I'd like to see where they get that arbitrary value from.

Queso

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
Yup, but there's no charge in Alaska for Driving while Sniveling like a Third Grader.

How about Aggravated Dumbass?

A332

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:00 am

Sometimes I just hate cops too... the few meetings I have had with local police in Calgary and the RCMP back home in BC were all very unpleasant experiences... talk about 'small man' complex, etc...

...but you know what, at the end of the day, I was busted for breaking the law and each ticket was rightfully 'earned'...  Wink

My complaints are always about the officer's pompous demeanour, not the fact I was handed a ticket for speeding.

There's talk of lowering the speed limit on our freeway here in Calgary from 100km/h to 80km/h because of so many accidents, but the freeway is so busy that you can rarely do 60km/h anyway so I'm really sure it's speed that's causing the accidents.

Yeah I have read letters in the local paper on that sort of thing. Until people in Calgary learn to stop driving like morons the deaths will never cease to occur. No one knows how to merge on to Deerfoot or stay the hell out of the left lane except to pass... lowering the speed limit does not educate idiot drivers.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

David L

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 41):
Let's not get too carried away now, shall we?

Well, it was you who implied that.  Smile

Again, depending on the road conditons, good vehicle maintanence, vehicle control (which includes keeping your eyes farther then 50ft down the road) there is no reason why you can not drive faster and still have enough time to stop for a hazard.

But you assume the hazard is already there. The faster you go, the more chance there is of a hazard materialising within your "danger zone", as it's significantly larger, e.g. a car crossing from the other carriageway, something falling off the back of a truck, someone changing lane right in front of you, a horse running on to the road.

There are just as many people who hit hazards while driving less then the speed limit as there are people driving faster.

Of course but the fact remains that any individual will have significantly more chance of avoiding a hazard if they're not speeding. You can't set a speed limit that doesn't take at least most drivers into account and leaves a margin of safety.

ACDC8

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting David L (Reply 42):
We still get busted for speeding here. Again, that's not the fault of the police. They don't set the speed limit but they do have to enforce whatever limit is set.

Yes, they are only doing there job by enforcing the law, but sometimes the "law" can be quite questionable.

As for the "I'm a safe driver" argument, how would one set speed limits based on differing driver ability? You have to set one limit and it would be foolish to gear that to the safest drivers. We all think we're safe, capable drivers, even those "idiots" we see around us.

I wouldn't use the "I'm a safe driver" argument as most people who think they are "safe drivers" are the most dangerous. Speedlimits should be set accordingly to the road it is posted in on and not simply kept as is because that was the speedlimit on that road 30 years ago. Drivers need to be educated in controling their vehicle and not just go in for a 20 question test in order to get your learner's permits so you can go out and let mom and dad teach you their bad habits. That is how we end up with most of the idiots around us on the road.

I'd love to see our police focus more on tailgating, overtaking on the inside, hogging the outside lane, last minute lane-changes, etc. but that's no excuse to break the speed limit. Of course I don't always stick to the speed limit but I'd have no defence if I was caught.

This is another good point. Do you know why the police usually focus more on speeding then other traffic violations? Because its hard for the driver to contest it. The speed limit is 100km/h, you're doing 120km/h (which most of the time is very reasonable), but you were breaking the law. As far as other traffic violations go, there are more arguments you can use in court to try and fight it. Simply put, speeding tickets, are for the most part, guaranteed $.

Having said that, there are many times that speeding tickets are given out and they deserve to be given out. Again, speeding and stupidity/recklessness are two very different things.

ACDC8

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting David L (Reply 45):
Well, it was you who implied that.

Where did I imply going 500mph? As I said, lets keep this reasonable.

But you assume the hazard is already there. The faster you go, the more chance there is of a hazard materialising within your "danger zone", as it's significantly larger, e.g. a car crossing from the other carriageway, something falling off the back of a truck, someone changing lane right in front of you, a horse running on to the road.

This is where vehicle control and driver ability comes in to play. Let's say you're driving down the highway and something falls off a truck. There are enough people out there doing the speed limit (or even under) that will hit the object. Why? Because they lack any sort of control. They see the object, get startled and don't know what to do. If you do have control of your vehicle and are paying attention, you have a very good chance of avoiding an accident even if you are going faster. Vehicle control includes keeping a safe distance from vehicles in front of you, constantly scanning your environment and always keeping a way out if something does happen.

Of course but the fact remains that any individual will have significantly more chance of avoiding a hazard if they're not speeding.

Not true. You have to be very careful with statements such as this. Reckless drivers have a much better chance of hitting a hazard, not necessarily drivers who are speeding. Speed does play a factor, but it is only part of the equation.

You can't set a speed limit that doesn't take at least most drivers into account and leaves a margin of safety.

But they must take into account the evolution of road improvements.

David L

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 46):
Do you know why the police usually focus more on speeding then other traffic violations? Because its hard for the driver to contest it.

I don't know why it is but I assume it's because the technology to detect speeding is simple, precise and requires less personnel to operate. Judging how close someone is tailgating or what constitutes dangerous lane-changing still, as far as I know, requires a policeman (two in Scotland, I believe) to judge on the spot. People who speed tend to do so over long distances while a dangerous lane-change has to happen in the vicinity of a patrol car in order to be spotted. I'd have thought tailgating would be spotted more often, though, as that tends to happen over longish distances, too.

On the other hand, it's very annoying when all the traffic in front of you drops to 5 to 10 mph below the speed limit at the first sign of a police presence. In the UK, police cars tend to travel a few mph below the limit or several mph over the limit, precisely to avoid traffic bunching behind them. There are few things I enjoy more than when the traffic ahead of me slows to a crawl and eventually pulls in behind the police car and I cruise past them all with my speedometer showing about 5% over the limit. It means I might be doing 1 or 2 mph over the limit but I'm not going to be stopped for that and everyone just disappears slowly behind me - bliss.  Smile

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:47 am

This is still going on? I thought we've had this argument 100 times, at least.

Let me tell you something I like about cops.

A couple of nights ago it was pouring cats and dogs (and damn, were they ever loud!). There's a major road that runs in front of my complex, and while I was sitting up in bed around 10pm at night, I heard a horrific crash. In the aftermath sounds, I literally thought one of the cars was going to come careening down the hill into the parking lot here.

I opened the blinds and window to see one car hanging on the side of the road, about to pitch over, and heard a woman screaming from a car I couldn't see up on the road.

I picked up the phone, called 911, and described exactly that. I didn't know if the woman was screaming because she was injured, or that her car had just been smashed up, and I said so.

It wasn't more than 90 seconds when I heard the first siren, and within 3 minutes there were two patrol cars, an ambulance, and a fire engine at the scene. They all raced there in obviously dangerous conditions to find out what was going on and help these people.  thumbsup 

Now if you want to whine about some perceived slight from someone who puts his/her life on the line everyday for simply doing their job, go right ahead. You'll only end up looking like a fool in the process, though.

Have a nice day.