jcs17

Two Computers, One IPod?

Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:23 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but I have a 2nd generation iPod that I first attached to my desktop and from there it has about 3000 songs (so currently, the iPod sits at 3022 songs). I recently got a laptop (six months ago), from where I have downloaded about 1500 songs. Is there any way to get the songs from my laptop to my original iPod, without having to buy a new one? I plugged my iPod into the laptop for the first time and it doesn't recognize it. Argh.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

hawaiian717

RE: Two Computers, One IPod?

Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:57 am

Did you install the iPod software on the laptop? I'm assuming you're using Windows, not a Mac.

TedTAce

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:16 pm

I use my ipod at work and home on two computers at home (3 total).
Only 'problem' is on content I have purchased asking me if I want to 'authorize' my work computer as 1/5 computers. Granted I haven't tried to add content at work or on my laptop, but I would be stunned if it didn't work.

Next thing I have to do is figure out sharing one computer with 2 ipods. Merry Effing X mas!!!
This space intentionally left blank

aviatortj

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:32 pm

Josh, iPods are only able to be synced with one music library. In order to get your songs from the laptop to the iPod, you will have to transfer them to the desktop (possible with iPod disk mode) and add them to that library. It is a pain in the ass, but I manage to make it work. Hopefully this is relatively clear to you.

IFEMaster

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting AviatorTJ (Reply 3):
iPods are only able to be synced with one music library

checkmark 

Correct, although it's perfectly possible to copy music from both computers. In iTunes, you select the 'Manage my device manually' option, and you can then click and drag music to your iPod. I do it all the time - between home and work desktops, and my laptop.

2 iPods on 1 computer is a no-brainer. You just plug in and go. There are no limits to how many iPods you can own and sync with a single computer. Between my wife and I, we have 5. I have a 60GB Video (which I use for music and video) and a 4GB Nano (which I use for podcasts). My wife has the same for the same purposes. And then we have shuffle that we share for quick playlists going to the gym etc.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Mikey711MN

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:10 am

Personally, I'm a fan of Anapod Explorer. There are lots of features I don't use, but for the select few that I do, it's well worth it.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...