AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Safe And Healthful Places To Visit In Africa

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:24 pm

Africa is a continent riven by more than its share of strife, disease, and disorder.

What are some of the better places to stay in Africa from the point of view of personal safety and well-being? What are some of the places to avoid?

I am aware that the largest and most tourist-oriented cities in, for example, South Africa are probably relatively safe to visit, but are there others? What are some of the most healthful places to visit in Africa?

Further, what, in your view, are some of the places in Africa that are usually considered safe or healthful to visit, that really are not?

Thank you in advance.

[Edited 2006-12-27 14:27:05]
What's fair is fair.

miamiair

RE: Safe And Healthful Places To Visit In Africa

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:28 pm

Do you post whatever random thoughts careen through your mind?

Sheesh.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Doona

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:39 pm

"Healthful"? What does that mean?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 1):
Do you post whatever random thoughts careen through your mind?

Not at all. Naturally, I follow a carefully screened mindprogram provided by the Airliners.net Posters Syndicate, situated in the capital city of the seventh planet of the brightest star in the constellation of Orion.

Doesn't everyone?
What's fair is fair.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:41 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 2):
"Healthful"? What does that mean?

By "healthful" I mean not only beneficial to one's health, but also posing the least risk to it.
What's fair is fair.

53Sqdn

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 3):
Not at all. Naturally, I follow a carefully screened mindprogram provided by the Airliners.net Posters Syndicate, situated in the capital city of the seventh planet of the brightest star in the constellation of Orion.

Here's me thinking 'I' was 'shot' away. Jeez ASF, I'm an amateur compared to you. So, are you on planet nine at the moment?

frequentflyer

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Well I know a place where I am sure you would be safe and "healthful" whatever the length of stay, however it is not in Africa per se, rather about 1000 Miles off the coast of Kenya: The Seychelles.

I have been there numerous times, cannot wait to go back. Nice people, paradisiac scenery, wonderful beaches and warm climate.

Let meknow if you need some more details, I would be happy to provide them, incl. re: accomodation and things to do.

Cheers,

Pat
Take off and live

kalakaua

Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:53 pm

I've always wanted to visit Kenya just for The Carnivore.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

DernierVirage

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting Kalakaua (Reply 7):
I've always wanted to visit Kenya just for The Carnivore.

I have been there 3 times, and really enjoyed it. it is maybe more "tourist orientated" now, but I hope that it is still as good as before.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:17 am

My dad has friends all over Tanzania and Kenya, and both are nice and safe places.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting 53Sqdn (Reply 5):
Here's me thinking 'I' was 'shot' away. Jeez ASF, I'm an amateur compared to you. So, are you on planet nine at the moment?

Strangely, I have no idea! Generally, I try to stay on Earth, but there are times when I'm a thousand light years away.

Quoting Frequentflyer (Reply 6):
Let meknow if you need some more details, I would be happy to provide them, incl. re: accomodation and things to do.

The Seychelles sounds wonderful, Pat. I would indeed be interested in knowing a bit more about your experiences there, when you have the chance.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 9):
My dad has friends all over Tanzania and Kenya, and both are nice and safe places.

Thank you for that information, KaiGywer.

I studied about Tanzania and Kenya in a course at college, and there were comparisons between the two that favored Kenya. Sadly, it seems to me that, at least according to the news, times have worsened a bit even for Kenya, although it is quite possible my information may be dated. It's of interest to me what the situation is in both places at present, and your response is encouraging.
What's fair is fair.

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
I am aware that the largest and most tourist-oriented cities in, for example, South Africa are probably relatively safe to visit, but are there others? What are some of the most healthful places to visit in Africa?

I have been to Senegal, the Gambia, Namibia, and Cape Town in South Africa, and I have never ever felt unsafe....even wandering around Dakar after the electricity was cut. Moreover, I've never gotten sick (now I've jinxed myself...haven't I?). My friends have also been to Niger and Tunisia, and I would have gone to those as well had I not either been bumped from the flight (AF is dead to me) or changed jobs. Again they never felt unsafe nor did they ever get sick. And we all stick out like sore thumbs anywhere in Africa. We are planning to go to Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Somaliland this coming Thanksgiving, assuming that whole region doesn't go to sh!t in the mean time. I think as long as you're cogniscent of your surroundings, you don't look like you're worthwhile robbing, and you make sure everything you eat is reasonably safe (ie steaming hot, or cooked in front of you, or peeled, etc), you should be fine. That said, just about everyone we met on the continent warned us about JNB, which I thought was odd. I've never heard one city so uniformly condemned.
E pur si muove -Galileo

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:21 am

^^ Your comments are very helpful, Maverick. I had no idea that Senegal, the Gambia, Namibia, and Cape Town were all that safe. I will certainly look into it. I'm also interested in why JNB is deemed so dangerous.

Our media's coverage of Africa here is rather abysmal. We hear about Darfur, for example, and various other regions of war or famine, but there is hardly ever any other information on what Africa can offer. This creates an information vacuum that must be quite frustrating for those who would like to travel in appreciation of places where, like some areas of Africa, wildlife such as elephants, rhinos, and lions must roam in abundance.

I would imagine that even a quick read of any of the popular travel guides (e.g., the Lonely Planet series) could provide a thousand times as much information about a particular African country than one would generally receive on a typical day here in America.
What's fair is fair.

Flyer732

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:33 am

I wouldn't go as far as to call any of them "safe" just keep your head on straight and don't do anything stupid. Common sense goes a long way.

That being said, for the next several months I'll be travelling back and forth from Europe to Ethiopia via Cairo and Khartoum, Sudan...I can't say I'm at all thrilled about that last one, but I'm getting paid for it so who am I to complain?

I would also look into somewhere like Namibia, some of the best desert scenery in the world, and off the beaten-track...I've never heard a bad thing about the place.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
We are planning to go to Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Somaliland

Interesting...my company used to operate to Djibouti, and the state department highly advised against us keeping a crew there, let alone keeping the plane there. So we never did. I also can't say Somalia would be high on my travel list....and I'd go just about anywhere.

soups

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:47 am

From experience South Africa, Ghana, Mozambique and Namibia. Kenya is way too touristic now. Seychelles is very expensive compared to other ones.
Ho about Mauritus? Madagascar?
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

frequentflyer

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 10):
The Seychelles sounds wonderful, Pat. I would indeed be interested in knowing a bit more about your experiences there, when you have the chance.

AFan: well you may want to plan for 5 days in Mahe (the main island) and then go by boat to La Digue or Praslin, smaller islands but.. God, what a scenery! Stay a couple of days there. Sailing, fishing, Snorkeling, Scuba, paragliding and canoe + swimming in pristine unscathed waters, that's what I've done so far in Seychelles and believe me it is wonderful, even if a bit pricier than Mauritius or Reunion or even Maldives. When you stay on Mahe, try the Beauvalon Beach resort, and ask for a chalet, as close as possible to the Sea. The magnificent beach is yards away. On La digue, go to Anse Boudin, one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Bring a lot of sunscreen with you!
Take off and live

cedars747

Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:19 am

From my experiance,Abidjan(The Paris of West Africa) in Ivory Coast is a wonderful place to visit.Nice hotels,elegant restaurants and crazy discotheques

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

avt007

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:31 am

Libya is quite safe and stable. If you are a fan of Roman ruins, they have some of the best in the world. Don't expect Western style service, as they are just now adapting to the idea of the whole tourism thing, but they are nice people, the climate is nice and it's off the beaten path.

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 16):
From my experiance,Abidjan(The Paris of West Africa) in Ivory Coast is a wonderful place to visit.Nice hotels,elegant restaurants and crazy discotheques

It definitely was once upon a time. However the country went down the toilet starting in 2002, so I'm not sure how dodgy it is now.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Doona

Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 18):

It definitely was once upon a time. However the country went down the toilet starting in 2002, so I'm not sure how dodgy it is now.

And that freaky toxic waste scandal a few months ago. Put 60,000 people in the hospital. I've heard good things about Gambia from friends who've been there. Libya also seems like a nice place to visit (though Americans might not be all that welcome...).

Quoting Flyer732 (Reply 13):
I also can't say Somalia would be high on my travel list....and I'd go just about anywhere.

Somalia and Somaliland are not the same thing. Though Somaliland is located in the northern part of Somalia, it is in most other aspects a country in it's own. Apparently the local chiefs and elders pulled their communities together and managed to keep war and famine away, even during the problems of the early 90's. Problems is that no-one outside of Somaliland will recognize them as a sovereign nation, as that would violate principle of sovereignity, as the [rather disintegrated] Somali government doesn't want to let them go. I think they deserve independence, as they've done a much better job than the Somalis when it comes to, you know, taking care of its people.  banghead 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

kbfispotter

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:44 pm

The only African country I have been to is Mali in 1998, and I would love to go back sometime in the future... I only spent three days in Bamako, but I liked the city. It does not have too many western influences, and is a great place to explore. I also had the unique opportunity to spend a month in the mythical city of Timbuktu, about four hundred miles (IIRC) north east of Bamako. I was impressed by the city, and by the generousity of the nationals. Although I was there on a summer missions trip with a church group, we still found the time to explore the city and the surrounding desert.

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

andaman

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Talking about the whole African contident, I have been only in Morocco. In winter the North-African countries like Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt are inexpensive package holiday destinations for Finns and other Nordics.

I liked Morocco, it's an interesting mix of Arab, black African and French influences. Very pleasant climate in winter, great food and the Sahara desert is one of the most beutiful places I have ever been.
The only difficult thing for me was that I wasn't left much personal space,
local guys often came VERY close physically.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

TNNH

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:26 am

W Retreat in Maldives

soups

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting TNNH (Reply 22):
W Retreat in Maldives

Thats not in Africa
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

cedars747

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting SOUPS (Reply 23):
Thats not in Africa

Definitely not,the Maldives belongs to Asia
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

kalakaua

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:00 am

Quoting DernierVirage (Reply 8):
I have been there 3 times, and really enjoyed it. it is maybe more "tourist orientated" now, but I hope that it is still as good as before.

That's a shame. A couple of my friends are from Kenya, and they keep raving about that place. I'm looking forward to eating some zebra or wildebeest.  yummy 
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

AirCop

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:52 am

I hear that Burkina Faso is an exciting place to visit.
I believe Sahara was filmed there. Its one of the poorest countries in the world, the economy is based on international aid. High rate of emigration, gotta be safe everyone is leaving, better yet just find some where else in Africa. (To be honest with you I didn't know this country existed until my sister-in-law who works for the US government got posted there.)

overlander

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:35 am

AerospaceFan,

My recommendation to you is pick a country, any country in Africa, and go and try it.

You might find they are people too. They are not disease ridden robbers looking to pinch your last penny.

They may even have hopes and aspirations like as all and be graceful, kind people who welcome visitors who travel with a good heart.

All the best in your travels.

Overlander
It is better to travel hopefully.............but, always be prepared for the worst!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:54 am

I've been reading the new comments in this thread with interest. Again, they are most helpful.

Quoting Overlander (Reply 27):
All the best in your travels.

Your kind wishes are much appreciated! Thank you very much for them.

I do believe that travel is broadening for the mind, and I hope to do some of it in the near future.
What's fair is fair.

andrewuber

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:30 am

The first class section of an EK A340-500 is a "safe and healthful" place while it's overflying Africa at 40,000 feet... that's one place I wouldn't mind going!
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

JRadier

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Flyer732 (Reply 13):
.I can't say I'm at all thrilled about that last one, but I'm getting paid for it so who am I to complain?

It's your health, not theirs. If you do not feel safe doing it (and I don't mean a little bit, but seriously unsafe) I wouldn't go there.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

gkirk

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:00 am

Tunisia, Egypt and Morrocco. Perhaps South Africa too  duck 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:20 am

I've only been to Morocco, but Kenya, Tanzania, and South Africa are on my list. Can't beat free accomodation  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Flyer732

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 30):
It's your health, not theirs. If you do not feel safe doing it (and I don't mean a little bit, but seriously unsafe) I wouldn't go there.

You only live once I suppose! By the time I actually get there, I will have been flying for like 20 hours, and won't know which end is up anyways.

JRadier

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Flyer732 (Reply 33):
You only live once I suppose!

Yep, and I intend to make the most of it. I'm not affraid of a small risk, but I'm not interested in putting myself in serious danger (not specifically talking about Sudan tho)
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

connies4ever

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 21):
I liked Morocco, it's an interesting mix of Arab, black African and French influences. Very pleasant climate in winter, great food and the Sahara desert is one of the most beutiful places I have ever been.
The only difficult thing for me was that I wasn't left much personal space,
local guys often came VERY close physically.

1st part:  checkmark 

2nd part: Women get that in a lot of places, unfortunately. I remember my g.f.
being distinctly uncomfortable about Italian guys when we were there, many years ago.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

trvyyz

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:48 am

How is Zimbabwe? I've seen their cricket team and it looks pretty similar to the SA team.

connies4ever

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:13 am

If you are interested in nature, and want something exotic, try here:

http://www.ftiyemen.com/socotra.htm

Just don't have an Israeli stamp in your passport.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kbfispotter

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Trvyyz (Reply 36):
How is Zimbabwe?

Zimbabwe is not a place I would visit at the moment... The current government is anti-western. A few years ago, the president demanded that all whites leave the country, and announced that any land they owned now belonged to the state. Several westerners had been murdered due to the fact they were white, European, or American. I have some friends who are missionaries and the barely made it out of the country with the clothes on their back. They are no win Zambia waiting for the time they can go back to Harare. Instead of Zimbabwe, I would recommend visiting Zambia, a country next door...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

MAH4546

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 am

Nobody has mentioned Accra. Accra is arguably the most modern, cleaniest, and safest city in Africa outside of South America and Botswana, as is Libreville in Gabon. These two cities best represent modern Africa.
a.

EZEIZA

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:17 am

Accra is wonderful, I had a great time there, including a weekend in a resort in a town called Ada. Great people, and also safe to walk around. The other place I enjoyed was cotonou, in Benin.
Lagos, no offence to anyone, is another story. That would be a place I would recommend no one to go.
That's my entire African experience, would love to have more though!

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:06 am

I've checked out a reference on Accra (accra.com, to be precise), and from appearances, it does seem to be a most modern place. This is a most welcome indication that parts of Africa remain conducive to inexperienced travelers such as me.
What's fair is fair.

AirCop

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:18 pm

Just curious AF what was the purpose of the thread, apparently you have no plans to travel to Africa.  scratchchin 

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 41):
inexperienced travelers such as me.

I would suggest that you save your pennies, and start traveling before you get to old, its the best way to understand the world. By your age I had travel down under three times, New Zealand, Europe three times, Central America and still had money to invest for retirement and raising kids on a California State Employee salary.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 42):
I would suggest that you save your pennies, and start traveling before you get to old, its the best way to understand the world. By your age I had travel down under three times, New Zealand, Europe three times, Central America and still had money to invest for retirement and raising kids on a California State Employee salary.

Thank you, AirCop. I appreciate your advice, and marvel at your resourcefulness.
What's fair is fair.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:23 am

-
I might recommend Banjul/Gambia and Dakar/Senegal, two very nice places with beautiful beaches for good swimming and nice and hospitable people
-

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 17):
Libya is quite safe and stable. If you are a fan of Roman ruins, they have some of the best in the world.

except that by "Africa" people generally mean the MAIN Africa south of the desert. And the handicap of Libya in touristic terms is that it in contrast to Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt does NOT allow any alcoholic beverages. The country on this is together with Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Sharjah .
-
And, well, if you mention North Africa, the places I would recommend are Casablanca, Rabat, Fez, Tangiers, Oran, Algiers, Constantine, Tunis, Alexandria and Cairo --- with my personal favourite being Alexandria
-

-

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 44):
And the handicap of Libya in touristic terms is that it in contrast to Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt does NOT allow any alcoholic beverages.

Most interesting! I did not know that any of these countries allowed the consumption of alcoholic beverages.
What's fair is fair.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 45):
And the handicap of Libya in touristic terms is that it in contrast to Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt does NOT allow any alcoholic beverages.
--
Most interesting! I did not know that any of these countries allowed the consumption of alcoholic beverages.

-
Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt are wine-producers. Tunisia also produces various spirits and liqueurs like the most recommendable Thibarine. Morocco some years ago established the "appelation controlee" along the lines of France. All 4 countries also produces beer, Morocco for instance the "Casablanca" which even is available in Europe and Egypt the Stella (originally under Belgian licence but independent now for half a century. While the Egyptian wines have become acceptable, and the Tunisian and Algerian ones are good, it is Morocco which has taken the lead with excellent wines like the Guerrouane and the Boulaouane. Most of the North African wines are red wines, but Egypt offers some excellent white wines and roses.
-
here some links :
-
www.chateaukefraya.com > Ch�teau Kefraya, Lebanon
www.chateaukafra.com > Ch�teau Kafra, Lebanon
www.chateaumusar.com > Ch�teau Musar, Lebanon
www.buylebanese.com > Arab food, Arak, Water-pipes, - - for sale worldwide
www.aldoukan.com > Lebanese specialities, Foods, Drinks
www.sincomar.com > Sincomar, Moroccan Wines
like Boulaouane, Gerouane, Ch�teau Amjad,
A�t Souala, Beni Amar
www.narbey.com/navigation.htm > Lebanese+Moroccan wines, Maiche/France
www.volubilis2000.com/index.html > Lebanese+Moroccan wines, SanDiego/CA
-
and in the Maghreb countries, many food-shops sell alcoholic beverages, and in Egypt it is specialized shops who do so
-

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:16 am

^^ How are the wines by way of prices? I haven't seen many of them sold around here.

We have European (e.g., French, Italian) and even Australian wines, in addition to Californian, but I don't remember seeing any North African wines. That's something to look for, I think.

Of course, I'm not a wine snob, by any means; I just pick them up at the local supermarket.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:17 am

I can recommend Agadir in Morocco if you like beaches. Nice beaches, and just a few hours away from Marrakech, which is another nice city.

Agadir has lots of good food and pretty cheap!  Smile

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:21 am

I wish there was weekly travelogues of places like that. I guess maybe there are on some of the cable channels and I simply haven't had time to watch them. (There are entire channels devoted to travel, food, etc.) I should start looking for them. Should be most entertaining!
What's fair is fair.