Blackbird
Topic Author

Can Technology Be Taken Too Far? (Opinions?)

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:32 am

I'm wondering, since technology is advancing at an unbelievable rate: Can technology be taken too far?

Just curious,

Andrea K

aloges

RE: Can Technology Be Taken Too Far? (Opinions?)

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:42 am

Quoting Blackbird (Thread starter):
Can technology be taken too far?

short answer: Yes, as soon as it says "Microsoft" on the cover.  Wink

long answer: Yes, as well. Some people argue that e.g. the Airbus fly-by-wire concept has taken technology too far. By default, the system overrides human input if that input is bound to take the aircraft out of its flight envelope; assuming I remember that correctly.
Others respond that this is just another way of making aircraft safer by limiting the possible impacts of pilot error further.

As soon as the combined stupidity of everyone involved in a technological endeavour exceeds human capabilities of correcting it on the go, we'll have taken technology too far.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Blackbird
Topic Author

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:30 am

I sometimes think technology can be taken too far as well. When people advance technology just for the sake of advancing it. I generally believe it should be advanced when necessary.

My opinion, and to my knowledge the definition of technology is the use of science applied in an effort to help mankind. When it no longer is helpful, and becomes destructive, we have gone too far.

Opinions?

Andrea K

bagpiper

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 2):

well put

When it no longer is helpful, and becomes destructive, we have gone too far.

checkmark 

nighthawk

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:45 am

I sometimes think technology can be taken too far as well. When people advance technology just for the sake of advancing it. I generally believe it should be advanced when necessary.

The problem is however, who deems what is necessary?

Should we have halted aircraft development at the 747? The majority would probably argue that there was no need to further develop aircraft technology beyond that point, as all destinations across the world were now accessible via a hub.

However others disagreed, and pushed the technology further, to the point where we are about to see the introduction of A350/787s, completely removing the need to transit a hub to access the majority of destinations.

I dont think technology can ever go too far, however I do believe technology can be used the wrong way. The example of Airbus fly-by-wire was mentioned earlier. The technology itself is a great benefit, making flying a lot safer by preventing the pilot from performing actions that endanger the aircraft. However such technology needs to be used carefully to ensure it is an aide and not a hindrance.

The technology is not necessarily bad, just the implementation of it can be.

FlyKev
Crew

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:56 am

I feel yes. Here's an example I feel 'excessive': The internet washing machine.

http://www.lginternetfamily.co.uk/washingmachine.asp

kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

DfwRevolution

Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:58 am

I don't think technology can be taken too far, but it can be taken too quickly.

TheSonntag

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:01 am

One can say so after humankind invented the A-Bomb and the H-Bomb. However, we are still alive, as mankind so far was not stupid enough to exterminate themselves. Lets hope it stays like that.

adopim88

Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:12 am

Technological advances can help people to do every day things. Sometimes they aren't necessarily good or bad, but they are there. I suppose something that somewhat scares me to a certain degree about advancing so far that everything will be done via computer, internet, or what have you (people getting lazy?). My reasoning is people. If everything was done using computers or internet or things like that, the nutjobs of the world could really disrupt things with one little virus... However, I don't know if I'll see it go that far in my lifetime, but it's just a thought.

Just my 2 cents.
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Blackbird
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:07 am

It does kind of make me nervous when people consider automating everything for the sake of automating it. It worries me because it would put a lot of people out of jobs. And technology is to help people, not put loads of people on the streets.

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:16 am

Microwave with Ipod dock...that's too far  Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

adopim88

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:18 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 10):
Microwave with Ipod dock...that's too far

Hey now! It wasn't the microwave that had the dock, I got a free AM/FM Radio that had the dock on it!

I guess I don't feel that is taking technology too far... but hey, I won't make judgements  Smile
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

N231YE

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:18 am

Yes! When most pilots are replaced with computers and/or remote control systems, aviation will no longer be a dream to fulfill...just some more automated machines and robots carrying people around or battling each other out, like that T.V. show Robot Wars.

What good is flying an SR-71 if you're on the ground flying it like an UAV, if you're lucky (and not a computer doing it)?

nosedive

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:55 am

When it no longer is helpful, and becomes destructive, we have gone too far.

It's going to be nearly impossible to establish this threshold, as most, if not all people, will have different definitions of the threshold.

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 4):
Quoting Blackbird (Reply 2):I sometimes think technology can be taken too far as well. When people advance technology just for the sake of advancing it. I generally believe it should be advanced when necessary.
The problem is however, who deems what is necessary?

checkmark 

When technology prevents us from thinking, it's gone too far. Thing is, when technological advances have been made, they make us think in different ways. Personally, technology hasn't gone too far, yet, but the ever quickening automation of the planet is troubling.