NWDC10
Topic Author

BEWARE: "Happy New Year Worm"

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:45 pm

BMIFlyer

RE: BEWARE: "Happy New Year Worm"

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Yet another reason why I only open emails from people I know.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

AirCop

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Thanks for the warning.  irked  Why do people need to do this sort of destructive behavior?

BMIFlyer

Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:54 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 2):
Why do people need to do this sort of destructive behavior?

Makes them feel good  grumpy 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

TACAA320

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:06 pm

ThreatCon Level is 2

The ThreatCon is being maintained at Level 2. DeepSight sensors are reporting moderate activity targeting TCP port 2967. This activity is believed to be related to the propagation of the 'W32.Sagevo' worm. This worm propagates by exploiting the Symantec Antivirus Remote Stack Buffer Overflow Vulnerability (BID 18107). An Analyst Watch has been in place for this activity since 11/27/2006; however, a substantial spike in activity was observed on December 20, resulting in the release of this ThreatCon alert. Customers are strongly advised to restrict access to TCP port 2967 at the network perimeter until this malicious activity subsides. This vulnerability was addressed on May 25, 2006; if patches have not been deployed already, install them immediately. Symantec Remote Management Stack Buffer Overflow (http://research.eeye.com/html/advisories/published/AD20060612.html) Three Microsoft Word zero-day exploits are circulating in the wild. Customers are advised to ensure that antivirus signatures are updated on a regular basis until patches are available and to enforce strict filtering policies to prevent the distribution of malicious Word documents. More information will be made available as it is uncovered.

www.symantec.com
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Go3Team

Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:08 pm

/me goes to check inbox... Nope. I'm not popular enough to get emails.
Yay Pudding!

adopim88

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 5):
/me goes to check inbox... Nope. I'm not popular enough to get emails.

aww, me niether  Sad
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:34 pm

So cool!

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Cadet57

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:24 pm

Boy, Im glad I bought a mac! See, I just plug along, the bad emails go straight to me trashcan an I never see them, Its magical. It really is.  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

GuitrThree

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:41 am

And they do to on a PC, at least when using Office, or the new Windows Vista Mail program. I love Macs, but get off of it already. It has been proven that Mac's ARE susceptible to virus's and spyware, just like PC's. The problem is that with such little market share, it isn't in hackers interests to do anything with Macs.. maybe if the Apple would get a clue and open their stuff up to third party vendors, they might actually gain above their pitiful 2% or so of the computer market. And before you pop a valve on that statement, what other company makes such a better product which can't compete with another format? Sorry, but Apple's marketing and/or engineering department is screwing the big dog here..

And besides that, and more importantly, Mac users tend to be more computer savvy, while you have everyone from the 6 year olds to the 80 year old Grandmothers running PC's who love (and insist) on opening everything sent to them. So what I'm saying it's no more safe on an Apple vs a PC, it just depends on who's driving it.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

Klaus

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 9):
It has been proven that Mac's ARE susceptible to virus's and spyware, just like PC's.

No such thing. Like every other Unix, MacOS X has none of the many Windows-exclusive vulnerabilities which are one of the main reasons why the situation is as desperate there as it is.

MacOS X is thoretically capable of being infected just like Windows. But that is the only similarity here. There is no justification to equate the two, most specifically not in real life.

maybe if the Apple would get a clue and open their stuff up to third party vendors, they might actually gain above their pitiful 2% or so of the computer market.

Or so.  crazy 
At the current growth rate (solidly in the double digits) Apple has little to worry about in that department while their competition is mostly stagnant at the same time.

Sorry, but Apple's marketing and/or engineering department is screwing the big dog here..

Nothing could be further from the truth. Please update your estimates.

So what I'm saying it's no more safe on an Apple vs a PC, it just depends on who's driving it.

At this point (and most probably for quite some time to come), that is simply not true.

Even the most careless Mac user simply couldn't have his system infected at this point. And in the near to medium term it is extremely unlikely that the outright horrific Windows mess could be matched, let alone surpassed.

Common sense and a reasonable amount of caution will always be recommended, but it speaks of a great deal of both ignorance and wishful thinking to confuse the two platforms in the way you've done above.

panam330

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:08 am

What's a virus?

Signed,
MacOS Users

GuitrThree

Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 10):
No such thing. Like every other Unix, MacOS X has none of the many Windows-exclusive vulnerabilities which are one of the main reasons why the situation is as desperate there as it is.

Oh really?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/04/09/apple.trojan/

Text:

Virus tries to take bite out of Apple's security
Attack remains low risk
By Daniel Sieberg
CNN
Monday, April 12, 2004 Posted: 7:19 PM EDT (2319 GMT)

(CNN) -- The first Trojan horse virus to target Apple's latest operating system was discovered this week, and it appears to prey on the popularity of Apple's popular music service. However, it has not been released into the "wild" or on the Internet, and therefore remains low risk.

Trojan horse viruses typically open a secret door for hackers to exploit at a later time.

Macintosh security firm Intego received an e-mail copy of the virus on April 6, but stressed that it is not spreading through replication like a typical virus.

Intego dubbed it "MP3Concept" because of its "proof-of-concept" nature and because the malicious coding can be hidden within an attached MP3 music file. A modified version could also be inserted in other types of files, such as photos.

"We take this first Trojan very seriously," said Intego CEO Laurent Marteau. "This is very easy to modify and create a different version of the same problem."

Apple's operating system, Mac OS X, was released in early 2001, while Apple's iTunes music service was introduced in late 2003.

Double-clicking on the attached MP3 file launches the iTunes music program and simultaneously spawns the Trojan program in the background, said Marteau. But he added that it does not appear to be destructive except under certain computer settings. Intego stressed that this Trojan horse does not exploit any vulnerability in iTunes.

Security firm Symantec said Friday it was analyzing the virus for more details and agreed with the minimal damage level suggested by Intego.

Meanwhile, Apple said Friday that it's responding to the would-be threat and released the following statement:

"We are aware of the potential issue identified by Intego and are working proactively to investigate it. While no operating system can be completely secure from all threats, Apple has an excellent track record of identifying and rapidly correcting potential vulnerabilities."

Macintosh users have historically touted more robust security on Apple's machines. Security analysts also note that Apple retains less than 5 percent of the overall computer market, making it a much smaller target for hackers than Microsoft's Windows systems.

Seems to me that's EXACTLY what I've said, well, I said 2%, and it's really 5, but still...

LH526
Crew

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:11 am

Virus??

Signed,
MacOSX Users
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

halls120

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 11):
What's a virus?

Signed,
MacOS Users

rotfl 
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Klaus

Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 12):
Oh really?

Yes, really.

The link you provided - like a bunch of similar desperate attempts to gain attention - refers to proof of concept malware which was deliberately cooked up by the "security" vendors to peddle their "protection" software. I guess they also go around busting the kneecaps of people who don't pay up...!  mischievous 

No cause for a sense of false security - but as long as we still have real security, a normal level of attention is sufficient on a Mac.

Meanwhile under Windows, something between panic, frustration and desperation is usually the motto of the day.

Just ask yourself: Are you really ready for another year of that?

In that vein, have a nice day!  innocent 

(And a really good new year as well!)

NWDC10
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:18 pm

By the way: i believe there are no computers that are absolutely clean of spyware. We ALL have spyware wheather we realize it or not. Robert NWDC10

Klaus

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 16):
By the way: i believe there are no computers that are absolutely clean of spyware. We ALL have spyware wheather we realize it or not.

Looking from a Windows perspective this kind of paranoia is understandable, but even there it would be slightly exaggerated... Of course there are many systems which are free of spyware, even some Windows ones...

NWDC10
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 17):

Looking from a Windows perspective this kind of paranoia is understandable, but even there it would be slightly exaggerated... Of course there are many systems which are free of spyware, even some Windows ones...

Do you not even know Micro$oft software contains spyware even?

Robert NWDC10

itsjustme

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 11):
What's a virus?

Signed,
MacOS Users

Well, seeing as you asked...

http://antivirus.about.com/od/macint...iruses_and_Mac_Virus_Resources.htm

From Mary Landesman, your guide to Antivirus Software, resources for Macintosh users. Macs aren't immune to viruses, but they are very rare. Learn which viruses infect Macintoshes and what solutions are available to defend against them.

flymia

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:08 pm

All I know is I got an e-mail saying HAPPY NEW YEAR in my Spam folder, well it was from some hotmail adress and I made sure to get rid of it.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

WestJetForLife

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:18 pm

My e-mail server hates me, so I use hotmail.

I don't even open e-mails from people I know, in fear of getting some virus and frying my motherboard for the umpteenth time.

Thanks go to $6,300 worth of computers destroyed by viruses because my sister doesn't know how to use a virus scanner.
I need a drink.

jfkaua

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting WestJetForLife (Reply 21):
I don't even open e-mails from people I know, in fear of getting some virus and frying my motherboard for the umpteenth time.

Thanks go to $6,300 worth of computers destroyed by viruses because my sister doesn't know how to use a virus scanner.

contrary to popular believe

1) you cant get a virus from opening just opening an email, only an attatchment

2) Virus's dont break anything... just corrupt the software, you can just re-install the operating system... Next time you get a "broken" computer from a virus, instead of throwing it out, just ship it to me... I'll even pay the shipping  Wink

Klaus

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 19):
From Mary Landesman, your guide to Antivirus Software, resources for Macintosh users. Macs aren't immune to viruses, but they are very rare. Learn which viruses infect Macintoshes and what solutions are available to defend against them.

Yeah. The "security" vendors are positively desperate to sell their products to Mac users as well, so in the absence of actual threats they have begun to cook up "proof of concept" malware and launched scare campaigns which are primarily based on disinformation.

There is always good reason to be cautious and to keep one's eyes open, but at this point blindly installing "protection" software on a Mac would be pointless and could even lower your security level in some cases.

This may change some day, but at this point on a Mac you're best served by keeping your system updated (enable Software Update to check regularly, preferably daily) and by being reasonably cautious:
- don't run software from dubious sources (this includes shell- and AppleScripts)
- don't enter your admin password unless you're sure it is requested for valid reasons

Things may change in the future, but among the biggest threats for Mac users at this point, disinformation spread by particular interested parties is one of the more dangerous ones!

itsjustme

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 23):
Yeah. The "security" vendors are positively desperate to sell their products to Mac users as well, so in the absence of actual threats they have begun to cook up "proof of concept" malware and launched scare campaigns which are primarily based on disinformation.

Geez Klaus, what is it with you and Apple? I am guessing you're a share holder. Whenever anyone says something that could be negative about the (not so) great and powerful Apple, you always seem to take it personally. Chill man. It's not only a machine, but it's a machine that connects to the Internet and those two facts alone make it susceptible to malfunctions and virus attacks.

Klaus

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 24):
Geez Klaus, what is it with you and Apple?

I hate disinformation of any kind, and there aren't many areas where it is as rampant as regarding computer security. Or, for that matter, the Macintosh as perceived by people who've never used one let alone examined the technology in greater detail.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 24):
It's not only a machine, but it's a machine that connects to the Internet and those two facts alone make it susceptible to malfunctions and virus attacks.

No, it is actually not that simple. The threat level at this point is still vastly different between Windows and MacOS X. And trying to scare people into the premature installation of unproven software is at least dubious, if not outright reckless.

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 25):
Hey guys, Just a quick question.

My PC has 4 RAM slots. At the moment only one is being used, and has a 512mb card in it. Im going to upgrade the pc to 1 or 2 gig in the near future I also have a 256 mb ram card on my desk. Could I plug that into another slot and have a 768mb RAM?

Provided it matches the required specs, it should in fact work. Installation of matched pairs of RAM modules may provide an increased performance margin on some systems, but even in those cases you might not get much real-life effect out of it.

itsjustme

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 25):
The threat level at this point is still vastly different between Windows and MacOS X.

I'm not disputing this. Well, let me rephrase that. I don't know enough about the MacOS X to dispute it. But you don't seem the least bit willing to admit or recognize the fact that MacOS only holds about 5% (if not less) of the OS market which makes it a lesser target of interest for hackers. Just like when Firefox first came out, it was virtually spyware and secuirty flaw free being that it only had about 2% of the browser market. Now, however, since that market share has grown to roughly 10% (give or take), it has become a larger target for spyware and security flaws.

No machine or OS is 100% exempt from security attacks and breaches.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 25):
I hate disinformation of any kind,

Yet you take the biggest exception to anyone who spreads "disinformation" in your opinion, about an Apple product. You seem suspiciously overly protective of Apple and their products. Is your last name Jobs by any chance?

tmatt95

Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 26):
Yet you take the biggest exception to anyone who spreads "disinformation" in your opinion, about an Apple product. You seem suspiciously overly protective of Apple and their products. Is your last name Jobs by any chance?

Or Wozniak, the other co founder of Apple  Smile. Sorry for taking this thread off onto another subject but there is a great set of videos on the Internet documenting the beginning of Apple/ Microsoft. Here is the first one and a link to the other parts (not in correct order. The number at the end of the title refers to the order  Smile Sad

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jjepLRzH8o
Matt

itsjustme

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 27):
Or Wozniak, the other co founder of Apple Smile. Sorry for taking this thread off onto another subject but there is a great set of videos on the Internet documenting the beginning of Apple/ Microsoft.

Yep, "Pirates of Silicon Valley" with Anthony Michael Hall (Bill Gates) and Noah Wiley (Steve Jobs). One of my all time favorite movies. It shows how Jobs and Wozniak took Apple Computer from, literally a garage-run hobby, to a multi-billion dollar company. A must see for anyone interested in computers and their development.

MDorBust

Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:39 am

Geez Klaus the shine really has you blinded.

If a "security vendor" can write an effective piece of malware, then a bored hacker in his moms basement can write it too.

If we continue on your line of reasoning, we could all call OS2 the most secure operating system, since there isn't a single piece of malware out there that effects it.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Klaus

Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:24 am

But you don't seem the least bit willing to admit or recognize the fact that MacOS only holds about 5% (if not less) of the OS market which makes it a lesser target of interest for hackers.

Where have I denied that that could be a contributing factor?

The problem is that people who know nothing besides Windows simply - if understandably - extrapolate from the situation they know and assume that it would be more or less the same everywhere else.

But going from Windows is quite similar to extrapolating from a life-long exclusive Mc Donald's diet: Insisting that every other food would certainly be just as tasteless, just as fatty and just as unhealthy would be understandable, but still wrong.

You seem suspiciously overly protective of Apple and their products.

"Over"protective? I don't think so.

Apple's products differ from most of the competition mainly by sucking less. One of the consequences is that people actually like what they experience and that they'll try to spread the information. It's not a unique phenomenon, just one that is utterly incomprehensible to most people stuck with Windows.

Is your last name Jobs by any chance?

Not that I know of... Big grin

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 29):
If a "security vendor" can write an effective piece of malware, then a bored hacker in his moms basement can write it too.

Most of those "proof of concept" programs actually aren't effective malware. They're just enough to get the press all hot and bothered.

If you stopped panicking for a moment, you might want to read my posts again - I've nver advocated carelessness, just an appropriate level of attention.

And for MacOS X at this current point this means that installing any random "security" package and be done with it would be a very bad idea and most probably counter-productive.

The substantial difference between Windows and MacOS X means that the ways to keep the system secure also have to be different.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 29):
If we continue on your line of reasoning, we could all call OS2 the most secure operating system, since there isn't a single piece of malware out there that effects it.

And it probably is - if you can live with its restrictions.

Which would be one of the reasons why it's still being used in some corporations.

GuitrThree

Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 30):
Apple's products differ from most of the competition mainly by sucking less. One of the consequences is that people actually like what they experience and that they'll try to spread the information. It's not a unique phenomenon, just one that is utterly incomprehensible to most people stuck with Windows.

And this is where you are wrong. Like I said above, a far superior product should be kicking the others hand over foot. But why not in this case? It's not that people are "stuck" on windows, it's the fact that they can walk into a CompUSA and get a DARN nice, Windows Based 17" HD widescreen, loaded to the gill's with crap, DVD burner, Camera installed, Software Galore, etc, etc, for about $700-$1000. Then they walk over to the same equipped Mac and they are $2,500 to $3,000. To the average consumer, who the hell would pay almost 3 times as much? No one.. and THATS why I said this...

maybe if the Apple would get a clue and open their stuff up to third party vendors, they might actually gain above their pitiful 2% or so of the computer market. And before you pop a valve on that statement, what other company makes such a better product which can't compete with another format? Sorry, but Apple's marketing and/or engineering department is screwing the big dog here..

So Klaus, if you keep yourself true to your word, that you don't just praise Apple for everything they do, why did you say this in response?

Sorry, but Apple's marketing and/or engineering department is screwing the big dog here..

Nothing could be further from the truth. Please update your estimates.

It doesn't take much to figure out that Apple's Problem with being only 5% of the market share is nothing more than price point, and until they figure this out they will stay there, and you will go around continuing to scratch your head why...

Klaus

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:08 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 31):
And this is where you are wrong. Like I said above, a far superior product should be kicking the others hand over foot. But why not in this case? It's not that people are "stuck" on windows, it's the fact that they can walk into a CompUSA and get a DARN nice, Windows Based 17" HD widescreen, loaded to the gill's with crap, DVD burner, Camera installed, Software Galore, etc, etc, for about $700-$1000. Then they walk over to the same equipped Mac and they are $2,500 to $3,000. To the average consumer, who the hell would pay almost 3 times as much? No one.. and THATS why I said this...

Be my guest and configure a professional-grade PC matching the MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications at the price range you indicated above.

Please be sure to have a metal enclosure and to exceed neither size nor weight.

As a special bonus we'll ignore the biggest difference, the capability to run both Windows and MacOS X (even concurrently).

So Klaus, if you keep yourself true to your word, that you don't just praise Apple for everything they do, why did you say this in response?

Because you were simply not realistic, in neither respect.

It doesn't take much to figure out that Apple's Problem with being only 5% of the market share is nothing more than price point, and until they figure this out they will stay there, and you will go around continuing to scratch your head why...

I've never wondered why people bought PCs even when better alternatives were available. It just makes less and less sense to continue on that path - and people are increasingly realizing it.

Hence the rapid growth of the Macintosh segment of the market.

Prices are actually not significantly different - Apple just refrains from competing in the low-quality bottom-of-the-barrel market segment.

itsjustme

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:15 pm

A heads up for PC and (oh no!) Mac users:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6146615.html

A newly disclosed security vulnerability in Apple Computer's QuickTime software could put both Macs and Windows PCs at risk of cyberattacks, experts have warned.

The publication on Monday of the vulnerability and detailed attack code kicks off the "Month of the Apple Bugs" project, which promises to feature a new Apple software bug each day in January.

WestJetForLife

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting Jfkaua (Reply 22):

2) Virus's dont break anything... just corrupt the software, you can just re-install the operating system... Next time you get a "broken" computer from a virus, instead of throwing it out, just ship it to me... I'll even pay the shipping

Haha, next time I will remember that, sir. Thanks.
I need a drink.

itsjustme

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm

I disagree. If your email software (MS Outlook, Outlook Express, etc...) or your web browser (used for accessing your email) automatically displays HTML messages or if they allow Javascript or ActiveX directives, then it is possible to contract a virus simply by opening an email. It's for this reason that experts advise to disable all email previewing options.

Virus's dont break anything... just corrupt the software,

Again I disagree. While a virus usually only effects software, among other things, a virus can disable a PC by reproducing itself in the computer's random access memory or hard drive. It can also cause problems with other hardware including, printers, monitors and keyboards.

Goldenshield

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:22 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 32):
Be my guest and configure a professional-grade PC matching the MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications at the price range you indicated above.

That's simply impossible given the fact that Mac OS runs only on Mac hardware.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Klaus

Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 33):
A heads up for PC and (oh no!) Mac users:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6146615.html
A newly disclosed security vulnerability in Apple Computer's QuickTime software could put both Macs and Windows PCs at risk of cyberattacks, experts have warned.
The publication on Monday of the vulnerability and detailed attack code kicks off the "Month of the Apple Bugs" project, which promises to feature a new Apple software bug each day in January

It's a known attention-hungry windbag who is apparently collecting, withholding and then immediately publicizing potential vulnerabilities right with ready-to-build malware templates for any criminal to use, without giving the respective manufacturer a chance to check and remove the vulnerability before the exploit is publicized.  yuck 

The apparent modus operandi invalidates any claims of him actually wanting to promote security - it is pure attention-whoring with a good dose of misery-loves-company thrown in.

At least the second of the reported vulnerabilities isn't even in an Apple product - it is in a cross-platform open source media player. But don't let that stand in the way of a good Apple bashing...!  crazy   Yeah sure

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 36):
That's simply impossible given the fact that Mac OS runs only on Mac hardware.

Absolutely not - MacOS X and the applications which run on it probably contain hundreds if not thousands of bugs and potential vulnerabilities.

But:

a) This dirtbag is clearly out for inflicting actual damage - both to Mac users and to Apple as a company.

b) None of the demo exploits he so helpfully supplied so far  Yeah sure allow privilege escalation - they only run with the reduced privileges of the current user.

c) All of the vulnerabilities could have been easily fixed by Apple or by the respective project maintainer(s). But since he chose to gain the maximum of publicity instead of actually supporting security, users may get exposed before the respective fixes can be provided.

d) All of the vulnerabilities so far are low probability, low to medium impact ones and can be easily prevented by responsible behaviour of the user (not visiting dubious sites) and/or by simple reconfiguration (such as disabling automatic examination of certain internet data types until the fix is out).

This is an exercise in malicious publicity more than anything else - having those bugs fixed is indeed important and none of them should have existed in the first place, but this hacker clearly hasn't any benign intentions.

And even so, with responsible behaviour and an appropriate level of caution, using a Mac is still worlds apart in security from the morass of the regular Windows infection defense.

Goldenshield

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
Absolutely not - MacOS X and the applications which run on it probably contain hundreds if not thousands of bugs and potential vulnerabilities.

What does that have to do with a custom built computer?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Klaus

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 38):
What does that have to do with a custom built computer?

Sorry - my mistake. I had initially read your post correctly but while writing my reply it somehow got "run over"...!

You're correct - it's impossible to match a PC exactly to a Mac; That's why I relaxed the requirements a bit by ignoring the capability of running MacOS X, even though it's the biggest differentiator in practice.

But it seems he still wasn't able to do it, even under these simplified conditions.