AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

How Not To Tow A Car

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:10 am

Looks like the wannabe rice racer's steering wheel locked up. What country is this? Sounds like he mentions "miles per hour" at the 11 second mark.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ilikeyyc

RE: How Not To Tow A Car

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:19 am

What kind of car is it? Almost looks like a Subaru.

edit:

Scratch that earlier remark.

[Edited 2007-01-01 22:25:09]
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

Marquis

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:28 am

Yep, has to be an Subaru Impreza STi ('92-'95 model).
Riding the radials...

ACDC8

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:36 am

I always wondered why cars in North America don't have the tow points such as the ones in Europe.

Lot's of fun getting my cousin towing my Peugot to the shop
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Leezyjet

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Thread starter):
What country is this?

Well it isn't the UK thats for sure, but it is some other country where they drive on the left.

I bet the guy didn't realise you had to keep the ignition on when towing to stop the steering locking up !!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

Queso

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
I always wondered why cars in North America don't have the tow points such as the ones in Europe.

Because cars built in North America are much more reliable than ones built in Europe.  duck 

ACDC8

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):
Because cars built in North America are much more reliable than ones built in Europe.

rotfl   Wink

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 4):
Well it isn't the UK thats for sure, but it is some other country where they drive on the left.

Australia, New Zealand or South Africa perhaps?

AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):

Most Fords have them. My two Ford Contours (Mondeos) had them and my current vehicle, a Sport Trac, have a pair of them in the bumper.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

L-188

Great example on how not to tow a car

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
I always wondered why cars in North America don't have the tow points such as the ones in Europe

We have them, usually there are a couple of slots cut into the frame, you would have to look to see them.

We also put the steering wheels on the side of the car too.

Note to everybody, if your engine isn't running it ain't driving the power steering pump. That is why he crashed. He was trying to force the wheel.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ACDC8

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:38 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
My two Ford Contours (Mondeos)

Which was a European designed car.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
a Sport Trac, have a pair of them in the bumper.

Pick-up's and Jeep's have them I know, I'm assuming to get them out of any problems they may encounter while going 4x4ing.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
We have them, usually there are a couple of slots cut into the frame, you would have to look to see them.

What kind of vehicle do you have?

Most of the vehicles in Europe have them intergraged into the bumber or just under and are very easliy accesible.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
That is why he crashed. He was trying to force the wheel.

But as long as the key is in the ignition, the wheel won't lock. When the vehicle is in motion, not having power steering is not difficult to handle, the wheels turn quite freely.

AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:55 am

A couple oldie-but-goody towing mishaps.

Mark

ACDC8

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:02 am

I saw that second one a couple of years ago. Thought it was funny as hell!

BTW, Mark, you have the SportTrac, I'm not a pick-up fan, but I do have to say that the SportTrac is one of the nicest vehicles on the road.

jafa39

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:51 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Thread starter):
What country is this?

Judging by the scenery I would say they were English guys (Immigrants) in New Zealand, there is a palm tree and the electricty poles etc look Kiwi.

A lot of Subarus down here and a lot of twats driving them too!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

JAGflyer

Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:42 pm

The guy in the white car is a fucking idiot. Hes driving waaay to fast for that road, let along while towing a car. His turns are way to sharp too.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

jafa39

Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 12):
Judging by the scenery I would say they were English guys (Immigrants) in New Zealand,

Bu then again...the "Sharp bend" signs are the wrong colour, the house, the steep bank at the side of the road and the palm trees make me want to revise that opinion to ..Torquay????
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

BigMac

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 13):
The guy in the white car is a fucking idiot. Hes driving waaay to fast for that road, let along while towing a car. His turns are way to sharp too.

checkmark ,  checkmark ,  checkmark  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> They're all idiots.  Yeah sure
To fly, or not to fly: that is the question

Ryan h

Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:05 pm

The same sort of thing happened to dad many years ago. Car broke down, got a friend in a tipper truck to give him a tow, but the guy driving the truck took the keys. At first dad was alright until the steering locked so the truck was dragging him sideways and flattened road signs, uprooted bushes etc.

Dad was tooting and swearing but no one could hear him.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

andz

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:03 am

They drive on the left in Hong Kong, Japan and Mauritius too!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

ACDC8

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:15 am

I never found the lack of power steering to be a problem, but the lack of power brakes always seemed to be a challenge during city driving.

IFEMaster

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):

confused 

All the cars my wife and I have owned since moving to the states have had them - 2 Honda Civics, a Honda Accord, a Toyota Solera, and currently a Saturn Vue and BMW X5.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

ACDC8

Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 19):
All the cars my wife and I have owned since moving to the states have had them - 2 Honda Civics, a Honda Accord, a Toyota Solera, and currently a Saturn Vue and BMW X5.

I guess I should rephrase the question. What I should have said, easily accessible tow hooks. European cars usually have them in the front bumper, or just under, and are hidden by a plastic cover.

mhodgson

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:02 am

I believe the video was shot in Antigua  Smile
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Fly747

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 19):

These are Japanese cars and a couple of SUVs, he's talking about American made cars.

Ivan

IFEMaster

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 22):
These are Japanese cars and a couple of SUVs

The Saturn Vue is an American car and the X5 is a German car. The other two models sell at such volume in the US that the respective manufacturers have entire divisions dedicated to their respective markets, and that includes design differences. Compare the European Civic with the US Civic, for example.

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 22):
he's talking about American made cars.

I don't see that constraint to his original statement:

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):

ACDC8 has already clarified his statement a bit with:

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):
I guess I should rephrase the question. What I should have said, easily accessible tow hooks. European cars usually have them in the front bumper, or just under, and are hidden by a plastic cover.

However, the tow hooks on the X5, the Vue, and the two Civics, were easily accessible - no covers, no hidden enclosures, just hooks under the front bumper.

Fly747

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 23):
The Saturn Vue is an American car and the X5 is a German car

In North America they are not referred to as cars, they are SUVs and I know their origins, thanks.
I had an American made car, a Ford Crown Vic which didn't have any hooks whatsoever and I have a Japanese car which has hooks. I also have an American SUV which has hooks.

Ivan

IFEMaster

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting Fly747 (Reply 24):
In North America they are not referred to as cars, they are SUVs

In North America, at least where I live, the word 'car' is more often used as an envelope term for an automobile, rather than a myopic term for something that fits within a certain shape or category.

WildcatYXU

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:30 am

It looks like the original post was deleted. Can somebody post the link to the video, please?
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

AsstChiefMark
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 25):
In North America, at least where I live, the word 'car' is more often used as an envelope term for an automobile, rather than a myopic term for something that fits within a certain shape or category.

Everyone around here calls an SUV a car. I call my Sport Trac "my car."

Mark

IFEMaster

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 27):

My point exactly. My wife drives the Vue. I drive the X5. We both refer to them as our 'cars'.

GQfluffy

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:28 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 27):

Same here...with one exception; everyone I know who owns a Jeep in some form or another...calls it 'jeep'. Not SUV, not car...  bigthumbsup 
This isn't where I parked my car...

adopim88

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:21 pm

What a wonderful video.... right. LOL. Sometimes I wonder about some people and their ideas. lol
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):
But as long as the key is in the ignition, the wheel won't lock

Well, simply having the key in the ignition doesn't do you any good. Need to turn it to on as well.

Oh, and yes, these guys are idiots  Smile

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 10):
A couple oldie-but-goody towing mishaps.

Take a look at the license plate on the second one, you'd think us here in Minnesota would know better...idiots  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MDorBust

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):

Made in America
Tow hook next to the fog light.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 62kb
My dirty Yeep
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 31):
Well, simply having the key in the ignition doesn't do you any good. Need to turn it to on as well.

Sorry, my mistake, meant to say in the on position. But I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 32):
Made in America
Tow hook next to the fog light.

Thanks, but ....

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):
Pick-up's and Jeep's have them I know, I'm assuming to get them out of any problems they may encounter while going 4x4ing.

I think I'm going to need to dig up some pictures to be a bit more clear on this one.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 33):
But I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Wanted to make sure  Smile Wouldn't want to see you starring in a YouTube video  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 34):
Wanted to make sure Wouldn't want to see you starring in a YouTube video

Not even in one of those cool "Star Wars Guy" videos?  Silly

Anyway, this is what I meant with tow hooks in Europe ...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/alizee340/2005-07-VW-Passat-Variant-autobisch.jpg

In the older cars, they are quite visible, in the newer ones they are hidden in the grill or bumper. The cover piece simply snaps out of place.

I've never seen anything like these on American (GM, Ford) cars (not pick-ups, not SUV's). My dad's Buick has no hooks what so ever, neither did my old Sunbird or Mustang.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 35):
I've never seen anything like these on American (GM, Ford) cars (not pick-ups, not SUV's). My dad's Buick has no hooks what so ever, neither did my old Sunbird or Mustang.

And then you end up with idiots like those in AsstChiefMark's second video  Smile

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 36):
And then you end up with idiots like those in AsstChiefMark's second video

I put my Mustang into a snowbank a couple of years ago (my fault), I took the traction control off and hit some black ice. Anyway, the only place to tow it out was by the rear axle. Of course the tow truck driver ended up bending it somewhat, which could have easily been avoided if the vehicle did have proper tow points such as on SUV's and such.