3 Year Old Shoots Self With Parents' Gun

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:49 am

I figured my Birmingham friends would like this one :P

SOURCE: WGCL CBS Atlanta, Ga.

INFORMATION:
A 3-year-old boy was killed early today (Friday, 1-5) after accidentally
firing
his parent's gun.

The boy was the son of a Henry County police officer, authorities said.

The accident happened shortly after midnight when Marcus Kitt found the gun
in a
closet in his parents' bedroom, Clayton County police Capt. Robert Tomlin
said.

The gunfire woke up the boy's mother.
It was not immediately known if the gun was the father's service gun.

The father was in Texas on business at the time.

more at
http://www.cbs46.com/
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

miamiair

RE: 3 Year Old Shoots Self With Parents' Gun

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:51 am

That is why mine are locked in a safe. It breaks your heart to hear these stories.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

adopim88

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:53 am

That's sad. They should have taken better care to lock up their firearms, or put it up high where a child can't find it  Sad It's always sad to hear of a child shooting himself or herself on accident. When they don't know any better. He was 3... He probably thought it was a toy.
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

yowza

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:55 am

I think the real solution is to introduce kids to guns at birth. That way they become comfortable around them and are less likely to have an accident.

Signed,
Charlton Heston and the NRA Nutjobs

stlgph

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):

I think MiamiAir needs to chime in on this one. From what I understand he does happen to have a young son who is very familiar with proper firearms management.

Now if only his Spanish grades were better....

Queso

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):
I think the real solution is to introduce kids to guns at birth.

That's a bit early, but 4 years old is not unreasonable.

Quoting STLGph (Thread starter):

Like this one? It is a very sad and unfortunate story and I am puzzled at why you would introduce it in that manner.

scbriml

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):
I think the real solution is to introduce kids to guns at birth. That way they become comfortable around them and are less likely to have an accident.

Signed,

rotfl 

Indeed, I can see an "Adopt a womb" campaign from the NRA where members are encouraged to expose embryos to the soothing sounds of guns being loaded and cocked. Or selling tapes of "gun sounds" that expectant mothers can play to their lumps. It can't hurt to prepare them too soon!

Never forgetting, of course, that it's not the guns that kill people.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

stlgph

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):

Because as I was discussing with ILikeYYC the other day, threads here about driving through a White Castle drive thru backwards either go Pro/Anti-Bush or Pro/Anti - gun control in a matter of two words.

But what's usually missing is the opportunity for gun enthusiasts to come forth and concretely state their just cause. Remember in college when you had to pick a topic and essay a paragraph with an opposing viewpoint and sell it to the audience?

So, here's your platform.

agill

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:13 am

This must be among the most tasteless comments ever written on this board...

mt99

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):

Does TONKA make guns?

Fischer Price: My first 9mm...
Step into my office, baby

CroCop

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 1):
That is why mine are locked in a safe. It breaks your heart to hear these stories.

I agree, this is heart wrenching.
Mirko "CroCop" Filipovic

MDorBust

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):
Signed,

Being a life member, I guess I qualify as a NRA Nutjob.

Storeing your firearms where children can access them is idiotic, and criminal. What happened here is tragic and was completely preventable with very little effort. It's doubly tragic that this happened to the child of a police officer. Officers should know proper firearm safety better than any one else out there, and most certainly know what happens without proper firearm safety.

The newscopy leaves me with some questions.

Where exactly in the closet was the weapon that a three year old child could get it? On the ground?

What was a child doing roaming around the house after midnight? And what was the parent doing sleeping while the child was roaming the house?

Lock your weapon up. Secure and quick to access weapons safes are not very expensive and easy to obtain. There is no excuse to have an unsecured firearm.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

miamiair

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 4):
I think MiamiAir needs to chime in on this one. From what I understand he does happen to have a young son who is very familiar with proper firearms management.

Now if only his Spanish grades were better....

He's eight now, and his Spanish grades are going south. He is older than the subject of this thread. The only thing you can do for children that age are keep your firearms locked away. After that, it is education and practice. Here he is...

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/miamiair/IMG_0683_1U-Range.jpg

LeonB1985

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 12):
The only thing you can do for children that age are keep your firearms locked away. After that, it is education and practice.

Or live without firearms around - probably safest option all round, or not?
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

Queso

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 13):

Not if an assailant breaks into your house at 3am and the cops are not standing at the door waiting for them.

miamiair

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:29 am

Different culture. You mean to tell me the criminals aren't the only ones armed now in the UK(Except the police)?

It is a freedom, liberty, and a right to arm yourself in this country. I don't see that changing any time soon.

ilikeyyc

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 11):
It's doubly tragic that this happened to the child of a police officer. Officers should know proper firearm safety better than any one else out there, and most certainly know what happens without proper firearm safety.

My uncle tells me a story of an officer on the force who cleaned her gun by putting it through the dishwasher.....so there are a few clueless officers out there.

No I don't like this one because its a very sad story. More proof that with power comes responsibility. With kids in the house, it is the responsibility of the firearm owner to lock up all guns. Even if you have a "bump-in-the-night" gun, it needs to be locked up.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):

As facetious as you were, you are not too far off the mark. I was brought up around guns and hunting so I was very aware of their power. As a result, I was never curious about them.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

Falcon84

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):
Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):
I think the real solution is to introduce kids to guns at birth.

Yeah sure

Maybe try not introducing to them at all?

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 11):
Storeing your firearms where children can access them is idiotic, and criminal.

Yes, if you're going ot have them, that's the safest thing to do.

Quoting Queso (Reply 14):
Not if an assailant breaks into your house at 3am and the cops are not standing at the door waiting for them.

Which happens almost never, and is just another cop-out for people who have a fixation with firearms.
Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:03 am

God bless America and their wonderful gun rules!
 Yeah sure
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Pope

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:07 am

The parents needs to be in jail.

It is just criminally negligent to leave a loaded unlocked weapon in a house with minor children.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Jalto27R

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 17):
Which happens almost never, and is just another cop-out for people who have a fixation with firearms.

Whenever I'm up at night, and have my radio on, that's all you ever hear. "Break In" in progress at this house, half an hour later at another. Maybe it's cause I live 5 miles from Camden, but hell, to say it never happens is a load of horse s#$t.

Falcon84

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting Jalto27R (Reply 20):
Whenever I'm up at night, and have my radio on, that's all you ever hear. "Break In" in progress at this house, half an hour later at another. Maybe it's cause I live 5 miles from Camden, but hell, to say it never happens is a load of horse s#$t.

Read what I said: almost never. And how often do you hear of a homeowner beating back burglers with a gun? Almost never, as I said, because such confrontations don't happen more than once in a blue moon.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Pope

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 21):
Read what I said: almost never. And how often do you hear of a homeowner beating back burglers with a gun? Almost never, as I said, because such confrontations don't happen more than once in a blue moon.

Is that because the burglars know that certain houses are likely to have guns?

For example, just about every Israeli house has an assault weapon in it because of the reserve military component to their armed services. You don't hear many reports of home invasion robbery in Israel do you? Now is that because there are no criminals in Israel or that the criminal in Israel know that if they try to break into a home there is a very high likelihood that the homeowner might fight back?

dl021

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:46 am

The person who leaves loaded firearms within reach of children unsupervised by adults needs to be locked up.

The parents of this child are culpable, and deserve prosecution....in addition to the guilt they must feel already.

Responsible firearms ownership requires proper storage. A safe is much less trouble than a dead kid.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Jalto27R

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:50 am

Happened to a cop friend of mine while he was home asleep a few months ago. Crack head was going around trying to break into unlocked house doors/cars, and he heard the glass on a car window break. Went outside and the guy tried threatening him with a crowbar, and he had to put him down at gunpoint. Happens much more than you think.

N174UA

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):

Signed,

I think the real solution is to educate kids on how to handle and respect a firearm if they come across one, rather than being scared of it and having an accident happen. Regardless of whether guns are in the home or not. But then you won't hear the media talk about that will you? No, they instead preach fear of guns instead.

Signed,
Responsible people who know how to handle, respect, and use firearms.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 6):
Never forgetting, of course, that it's not the guns that kill people.

Of course. A gun is just a piece of forged metal, just like a knife or baseball bat or automobile or an airplane. In the hands of someone who knows how to respect and operate it, and knows its limits, there is no problem. In the hands of someone who doesn't know anything about firearms, then it's a disaster waiting to happen.

I can use a baseball bat to hit a baseball...or I can use it to kill someone.
I can use a knife to chop garlic or cut a steak, or I can stab someone.
I can drive a car to the store, or I can drive it into a crowd and hurt/kill.
I can fly a plane from SEA to PDX, or I can fly it into a skyscraper to kill.
I can use a gun to hit a paper target, or I can kill people.

So yes....you're right...many objects can be used for their intended purpose, if in the hands of someone who is trained and responsible. Do we ban knives and baseball bats and cars? Or do we punish those severely who don't accept responsibility for their own actions?

Proper gun safety is the answer, not knee-jerk reactions that take away the rights of responsible, law abiding people.

When you awake from fantasyland, educate yourself on how to use a firearm, rather than let the liberal news media scare you.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 23):
The person who leaves loaded firearms within reach of children unsupervised by adults needs to be locked up.

This includes law enforcement personnel, who should know better than the rest of us on how to properly store and handle firearms.

[Edited 2007-01-05 23:16:38]

Pope

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting Jalto27R (Reply 24):
Happened to a cop friend of mine while he was home asleep a few months ago.

I had a much less intense story that really freaked me out about 4 years ago. Our housekeeper at the time gave her son our house key. On a Friday night about 11:30PM my wife and I heard noises at the front door. We rushed there just as the son (24) was opening our door. The alarm warning sounded and I managed to put my foot in front of the door so it would only open about 4 inches.

The kid was strung out on drugs and was babbling about how his mother had sent him over to pick up something that she had left. My wife wacked his hand with a book and he released the door. I closed the door, turned on all the lights in the house and hit the panic code on the alarm as my wife went to grab our one year-old. The alarm went off full blast and the cops came and found the kid walking around the neighborhood.

I don't really think that he was too dangerous but God knows what could have happened. The very next day we put a chain mechanism on the door and fired the housekeeper, changing all the locks on all our doors. To this day I don't know what I would have done if I had a gun but I do know that I felt very defenseless and powerless to protect my family not having one.

Though I haven't yet purchased a gun (I'm right on the fence), I do have a expandable baton, a stun gun and mace in the house. The baton is under my bed, and the mace and stun gun are in the TV wall unit in our bed room.

ilikeyyc

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:07 am

Happens more than you think, here is a small sample:

http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

"Teen shoots, kills 2 would-be robbers

An overnight home invasion robbery attempt in northeast Harris County ended in a hail of gunfire that left two suspects dead.

Investigators said a 17-year-old was home with his cousin when four armed men kicked in the door and started shooting.

The teen pulled out a shotgun of his own and fired back at the suspects, killing two of them.

Two other suspects were later caught.

The 17-year-old asked to not be identified.

“Truthfully, it was either them or me, regardless of who was on the other side of that door or whoever kicked my door down, it was either him or me,” he said. “I’m thankful to be standing here today. I thank god.”

Authorities said at this point they are not planning on filing charges against the teen. "

lowrider

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:12 am

And how often do you hear of a homeowner beating back burglers with a gun?

Rarely, but it wouldn't make for a good news story. Just like non-fatal auto accidents.
Proud OOTSK member

ANCFlyer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:20 am

Oh goodie, another bash the gun owners thread!

Isn't this special.

And the same BS from the same anti-gun lobby as well . . .

Predictable.

Once a week, need it or not, just like an Anti-Bush thread . . . .

One moron leave a gun unsecure, someone does something stupid with it, and everyone else that owns a weapon is now labeled an irresponsible louse. Some of you really need to get a life . . . desperately.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MD11Engineer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 am

German firearms law:

Giving unauthorised persons access to guns, either intentionally or inadvertently, 2 years in prison. This is if nothing bad happens out of this.

I fully agree with this law.
This comes from a liberal who is interested in guns.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

bhmbaglock

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting Jalto27R (Reply 20):

I used to live one county over in Shamong and the difference is amazing. It's pretty well known that Burlington County, NJ has a very high rate of gun ownership, particularly for the region, and as a result it's pretty much break in free. Plenty of crime to the east in Camden and the west in Atlantic City but nothing to speak of in our area. Of course, I was working in Pennsauken at the time so I got plenty of exposure to the not so nice part of southern NJ as well.

Back to the original topic, at least one parent should be prosecuted and the department the officer worked for should review its training policies to see if they in any way contributed to this tragedy.

btw, for all of the BHM attendees, I ran into John Blue yesterday and he asked me to let everybody know he enjoyed the day greatly and was pleased to hear that we would be doing it again this year.
Where are all of my respected members going?

blrsea

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:22 am

It is very sad to hear of the kids death. But I guess people will just have to live with it as long as they are happy with their freedom to bear arms. There will be some bad side-effects of many laws in many countries. Majority of the US citizens have determined that a deaths of a few innocents per year is a price worth paying for their right to bear arms, and it is a democracy after all.

Falcon84

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
Is that because the burglars know that certain houses are likely to have guns?

v

rotfl 

Do they have something like a gun "geiger counter", that can tell them when there's a gun present.

Actually, no, Pope, I don't think many of them have a clue if a gun's in the house. In fact, I'm sure that many who target a house try to do so when they're pretty damn sure no one is IN the house. That's the safest thing for them, isn't it?

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
For example, just about every Israeli house has an assault weapon in it because of the reserve military component to their armed services.

Uh, what does a nation that is surrounded by mortal enemies, and on 5-minute war readiness have to do with weapons in the U.S?  Yeah sure
Work Right, Fly Hard

174thfwff

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:41 am

I own a Beretta CX4 Storm and thank god I don't have kids to worry about.The only time I keep it locked up is when I'm out of the house. It's a tragic situation. Even though the father was a cop... it has to make you wonder what the kid was doing up around midnight. And you'd also figure he'd keep a loaded fire arm out of arms reach of a three year old son.

That just sucks.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

Queso

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 31):
btw, for all of the BHM attendees, I ran into John Blue yesterday and he asked me to let everybody know he enjoyed the day greatly and was pleased to hear that we would be doing it again this year.

Outstanding! Hope he is doing well and that he can be there with us again this year too! He's a pretty good plate shooter! I really enjoyed visiting with him.

Thanks for passing that along!

Pope

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):
Uh, what does a nation that is surrounded by mortal enemies, and on 5-minute war readiness have to do with weapons in the U.S?

If the thesis is, does the presence of a weapon in a house affect the rate of violent crimes like home invasion robbery, then I think that it serves as a pretty good control.

I guess the logic process is just too complicated for you.

Pope

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 am

Do they have something like a gun "geiger counter", that can tell them when there's a gun present.

That just shows your ignorance with respect to crime. Truly random acts of violence are far fewer than the acts of violence when the criminal has some connection to the victim. Criminal often stakeout their targets or know them, directly or indirectly. Therefore, while I am not aware of a geiger counter device, I do believe that a gun owner frequently have many common attributes that the criminal element my observe or be told about.

ANCFlyer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:54 am

rotfl 

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Falcon84

Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 36):
If the thesis is, does the presence of a weapon in a house affect the rate of violent crimes like home invasion robbery, then I think that it serves as a pretty good control.

But your 'thesis" is way off base: you're comparing a nation constantly at war, with one that doesn't have mortal enemies on it's border. Sure, in Israel, I'd think home burglaries are pretty low, because of that fact.

But that average Joe Burgler in the U.S., looking to heist somethng from a house, doesn't have a clue if a gun is in the house, and, again, he's probably gonna strike when he thinks no one is home. This isn't Israel, if you didn't notice.

Quoting Pope (Reply 36):
I guess the logic process is just too complicated for you.

God, but you're a piece of work.  rotfl 
Work Right, Fly Hard

bushpilot

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:03 am

What a sad story. The guilt the parents must feel would be excruciating. I dont know if throwing them in jail is the right thing to do. That isnt for me to decide. But when you have a three year old or any young kid for that matter, firearms need to be put away, and even a three year old can be taught not to touch a gun. I know I was.
Education is the key to firearms and kids. But the first step from them being able to understand directions is dont touch hot stuff or guns if they are around. Learning to handle them comes later.

Queso

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 38):

Especially coming from Falcon....shows he's hit the end of his argument and has no facts to bolster his argument....

And how often do you hear of a homeowner beating back burglers with a gun? Almost never, as I said, because such confrontations don't happen more than once in a blue moon.

Hurricanes almost never hit New Orleans too, but they are building levees around it again. Why? Could it be to defend the city? It's called preparedness and you do it in your life in different ways each and every day. The difference is that you are not prepared to be faced with a life-threatening situation at the hands of a violent human being who has no respect for law.

Falcon, your arguments are totally without fact, they are assumptions with NO sources or facts to back them up.

You are wrong. See the below links:
http://www.tsra.com/?p=news&cat=6
http://www.nrapublications.org/armed%20citizen/Index.asp

ilikeyyc

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:07 am

Actually, no, Pope, I don't think many of them have a clue if a gun's in the house. In fact, I'm sure that many who target a house try to do so when they're pretty damn sure no one is IN the house. That's the safest thing for them, isn't it?

In 1982, the city of Kennesaw, Georgia passed a law that required all heads of houseold (with a few exceptions) to own and maintain a firearm in the house with ammunition. As a result, crime in the city dropped an estimated 89% and has stayed low since the law was passed.

http://www.rense.com/general9/gunlaw.htm
http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/crime_rate_plummets.htm

kmh1956

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting N174UA (Reply 25):
I can use a baseball bat to hit a baseball...or I can use it to kill someone.
I can use a knife to chop garlic or cut a steak, or I can stab someone.
I can drive a car to the store, or I can drive it into a crowd and hurt/kill.
I can fly a plane from SEA to PDX, or I can fly it into a skyscraper to kill.
I can use a gun to hit a paper target, or I can kill people.

The only flaw in that argument is that guns are made to kill, not chop garlic or drive or fly. If I want to hit a paper target for fun, I'll ping a rubber band at it.
While I respect that Americans have the right to bear arms, guns terrify me.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:20 am

How often do emergency evacuations happen on aircraft? Not often, but the aircraft is still equipped with the necessary equipment should the need to evacuate the aircraft quickly arise, and the crew is trained how to use it. Just as I will keep a gun in my house and will know how to use it should the need arise to.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 9):
Fischer Price: My first 9mm...

rotfl 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

ilikeyyc

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:26 am

I would love to stick around and debate this all night, but I must leave for work soon.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 43):
The only flaw in that argument is that guns are made to kill, not chop garlic or drive or fly

Bows and arrows were meant to kill things, but I don't see people "up in arms" trying to ban them.

I see where you are coming from, but when someone is about to kill another person with a car, knife, or toxic chemical, the last thing anyone would care about is what purpose it was designed for. Deadly objects are deadly objects, not matter what.

Falcon84

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting Ilikeyyc (Reply 42):
In 1982, the city of Kennesaw, Georgia passed a law that required all heads of houseold (with a few exceptions) to own and maintain a firearm in the house with ammunition. As a result, crime in the city dropped an estimated 89% and has stayed low since the law was passed.

To be honest, I think it Unconstitutional to force residents to own firearms-and I think the same about any municipality that forces people not to have a registered firearm. I thnk that's just ignorant, to be honest, either way.
Work Right, Fly Hard

davestanKSAN

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:00 am

Sad Really sad. How awful. Man my prayers are with this family, just a horrible accident.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

luv2fly

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:09 am

Agree!

Quoting Queso (Reply 41):
Especially coming from Falcon....shows he's hit the end of his argument and has no facts to bolster his argument....

No shows that he has hit the proverbial nail on the head!
You can cut the irony with a knife

Falcon84

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:13 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 41):

Maybe it just shows I have a freaking sense of humor over the whole thing, Queso, and I don't take myself too damned seriously.

Yeah sure

But I don't like guns-ask ANC, he just saw an episode of MASH, with my favorite saying on it.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard