Derico
Topic Author

Latin Americans: Christmas, Three Kings, Or Both?

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:42 am

Hello everyone!

I was in a chat forum in this hot saturday afternoon ready to head on my vacation, and a controversy started about when people give gifts in each country for the holidays. It became rather confusing, so it left me wondering... Is it correct that in some countries the gifts are given today, in the day of Los Reyes Magos, and not Christmas day?

And in other countries, there are no gifts given today at all, only in Christmas.

In Argentina kids get gifts on both holidays! The Christmas gift tends to be the more expensive one by far, while the gifts today tend to be two or three smaller gifts. I always thought people, specially kids, got gifts on both Dec 25th and Jan 6th.

How is it where you are from?  present   present 
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

carmenlu15

RE: Latin Americans: Christmas, Three Kings, Or Both?

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:53 am

Over here the big holiday is Christmas. In fact, I didn't notice today was Día de Reyes until I was cooking lunch and looked at the calendar in the kitchen. However, when I was a child my mom used to give us something small on this day; I usually got a book and a can of Pringles. Big grin

From what I've seen on TV, this day is more celebrated in Mexico than it is here. Also, I believe it's a "big day" in Spain too.

I have to say, though, that I still get a gift on Oct. 1st (Día del Niño).  Silly
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

regupilot

Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:12 am

Here in Puerto Rico, the big day is Christmas, although Reyes is extremely important. Turns out that it used to be the big day before the Americans brought the Santa Claus culture.

In the Dominican Republic, however.. Reyes is the main thing, but Santa Claus is steadily catching up.

Something else to note, is that in Puerto Rico, Christmas are not officially over until 8 days after Three Kings day (called Octavitas), from which in the las four days takes place the Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastian (in old San Juan) to officially end the Christmas season.

LTU932

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:19 am

I don't recall there ever being presents for the "Tag der heiligen drei Könige" or "Day of the three holy Kings" as we call it.

Marcus

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:58 am

In northern Mexico the big day is Christmas by far......the further south you travel the more important "Dia de Reyes" becomes, it used to be that Reyes was the big day for giving gifts to kids, but this has been changing over the years to Christmas.

When I was a kid I got my presents for Christmas and a small one in Reyes.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

N405MX

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting Marcus (Reply 4):
When I was a kid I got my presents for Christmas and a small one in Reyes.

You get the big ones in december, the small ones -and the guy inside the cake- in january, unfortunately if you got the "monito" you´ll have to pay the tamales for february.

Saludos
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....