EMA747
Topic Author

Safest Country/town?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 pm

I have just reading the interesting thread about the worst parts of towns around the world. It made me think though, everyone always says how bad their town/counrty is (I live in Nottingham,UK and people are always going on about how bad it is!) but people rarely say how safe their country or town is. I think that when you live somewhere you tend to see its bad points and notice crime and violence a lot more.

So, I want to see if there is anyone thats feels that their country/town are safe places to live. Please only coment about the country/town you live in and not places you have travelled to unless you have lived there for a year or more for the reason stated above.

I await some replies and am quite interested to see what you have to say.

Andy S
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

vikkyvik

RE: Safest Country/town?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Bedford, Massachusetts (where I grew up) is extremely safe, as is a good deal of suburban Boston.

I'd wager that Massachusetts as a whole is a relatively safe place to live.

Somerville, MA, where I currently live, is OK. Not great, not bad. I have no problem walking around outside at night.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

kaddyuk

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:57 pm

Safe Places? There aren't any left... I live in Crawley, W.Sussex which is right next to Gatwick Airport. It has its problem areas however i live in one of the quieter areas.

Its not crime free (I've been attacked once and a Car was stolen from outside my house). But i've no worries about walking the streets at night. For the most part its a quiet town. That being said, I wouldnt leave my doors open and If I had children i'd want them inside before sundown.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Superfly

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:18 am

I can't speak for the U.K. but here in North America, I'd say Canada would be the safest country.
Here in the United States, safe cities I'd pick;

(small towns)
Madison, Wisconsin
Arcata, California
Black Rock City, Nevada

(big cities)
San Francisco,Ca
Minneapolis, MN
Honolulu, HI
Bring back the Concorde

PlymSpotter

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:22 am

I live just outside Plymouth, in a village called Roborough. It's pretty safe, I will often go walking alone at night, out in the countryside and on Dartmoor where I can watch the stars, the only thing I really have to be worried about is running into a pack of squaddies or getting mauled by one of the big cats people keep seeing. silly 

That said, Plymouth, like many UK cities is over-run with anti-social chavs who like to make a habit of being assholes. There are murders here, probably 10-20 a year, maybe more, but generally where I live is very safe. *Touch wood* there have been no burglars near me for years; thanks to a neighbourhood watch scheme which actually works and the nearest we have got to car crime was somebody nicking a tyre one night!

I also live in Birmingham, just about a mile from Perry Barr at my university address which is where all the race riots were taking place a couple of years ago. Not the safest of places, although the part I live in is fairly respectable, I was still shot at with an air rifle one day when out cycling though, not good at all. I tend to make sure I have a weapon or means of self defense on me at all times.

Finally there is Cala en Porter, Menorca Spain where I have lived for a couple of years, and return to during holidays. Very safe, completely safe until recently when undesirables have started to come across from the mainland to rob the "rich pickings" that are holiday homes left shut up during the winter months. Still, there is a very strong sense of community spirit, especially among the ex-pats and it's safe to walk around anywhere you like at night, oh, so long as you avoid the inevitable bunches of drunken British louts... says a lot really.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

skidmarks

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:31 am

The Isle of Man has to be one of the safest places in the world to live. Here, you can leave your doors unlocked and open, your cars unlocked and know they won't get stolen or walk the streets at night knowing the chances of getting mugged are next to zero. We do have some crime but, on an island, where do you run to? Unemployment is measured in fractions of percent and most of the populace are fairly content, despite the whinges and moans you hear around.

I'm in the process of looking for a new job because British Airways is pulling the plug on my job soon. I don't want to move back to the UK - or to anywhere else for that matter. The thought of living across is quite frightening. But I guess I'll have to. But hopefully, whatever I end up doing, I'll be able to keep my island home and retire back here where it is safe and old people are better looked after.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

burnsie28

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 am

Grand Forks, ND was just recently announced as the best place to raise a child for low crime rate, plenty of parks, excellent schools etc.

CPH813

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:32 am

Denmark is in general a very safe country, and where I live is just extra safe as police patrols the street every 30 minutes as I live right next to the embassies of Poland and Switzerland. I would have no problem sleeping with my door unlocked.

mauriceb

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 am

probably the Island of Saba...

They have 1 police man which is also the butcher. (kind of scary i must say)

pelican

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting CPH813 (Reply 7):
Denmark is in general a very safe country, and where I live is just extra safe as police patrols the street every 30 minutes as I live right next to the embassies of Poland and Switzerland. I would have no problem sleeping with my door unlocked.

I can only agree. I lived in Copenhagen for half a year and I've never felt unsafe in such a (relative) big town . Even when I went home during the night I never felt unsafe and there was never an incidence which would have alarmed me.

(okay there was this nervous bearded terrorist cliché look-alike student in the metro once who fumbled with his mobile all the time)

Here were I live in the moment I couldn't feel safer, too. But that's only true for the quarter were I live. Although my hometown Potsdam is also not unsafe. Berlin is quite a bit different, but again not dangerous, too.

pelican

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:02 am

Zurich is generally regarded as fairly safe, but while you could keep doors open at least during the day in the 50ies/60ies, up from the 70ies no-go without a key. And police tell you never to leave your keys in the car, even when just getting out for a minute. But to be on your way be feet at night is no problem generally.

qr332

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:23 am

Qatar as a whole is a very place safe - even though its not that small of a place (the population is about 650,000), people always leave their doors unlocked and you feel safe almost anywhere. When I go down to the supermarket to grab something quickly, I almost always leave my car running and nobody ever touches it - it is a great place to grow up.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

ANITIX87

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:27 am

Well I go to school in Bethlehem, PA and it was voted the best place to live in the USA by some magazine.

Having said that, nobody dares walk off campus at night alone. The chances of getting shot or robbed are way too high, haha.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

AsstChiefMark

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 3):
Minneapolis, MN

The local news in Minneapolis is clogged with shootings, murders, and assaults every day. Even the once-safe entertainment district isn't safe.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ME AVN FAN

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 12):
go to school in Bethlehem

-
must go with the name ! also "original" Bethlehem is not too safe in these days

AirframeAS

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:56 am

No matter where you go, there is always crime. IMO, there is no such thing as a 'safe' town or country.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ZKSUJ

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
No matter where you go, there is always crime. IMO, there is no such thing as a 'safe' town or country.

That is true, but I think some places have a safer probability than others. i.e. You can't say that the chances of being killed by use of a gun or bomb is equal in Fiji as opposed to Iraq. It's all about Chances and how big they comparitively are.

IMO, Pacific Islands are usually pretty safe. Singapore is quite safe as is NZ when compared to many parts of the world

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:42 am

According to Marion Barry: "If you take out the killings, Washington [D.C.] actually has a very very low crime rate."
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

aa757first

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:50 am

My very small town in the United States is very safe. I could walk around at 4:00 AM and the only person that would probably approach me is someone asking if I'm okay.

AAndrew

kiwiinoz

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:21 am

My money's on Singapore

flight152

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):

That is a ridiculous statement.

bushpilot

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 am

Well where I live, it is a very small remote town. In the 6 years I have lived here full time, my house has not once been locked, and my car keys have never left the ignition. Hell I dont even know where my house key is.
But we do have problems with alcohol related crimes such as DUI, domestic violence etc.

copaair737

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:45 am

Arcata, California

WTF? I agree that it's safe, but damn are there a lot of panhandlers and just bizarre people there. The Arcata Plaza has the biggest collection of the strangest people I've seen anywhere. ANYWHERE.
I agree though, it is a safe place. Nothing really happens there, outside of a lot of Marijuana being grown.

Big cities...I'd say San Francisco.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

Superfly

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 22):
I agree though, it is a safe place. Nothing really happens there, outside of a lot of Marijuana being grown.

Nothing bad happens because everyone is stoned.  goodvibes 
Bring back the Concorde

copaair737

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 23):

Nothing bad happens because everyone is stoned.

Without a doubt. The bars in that square are pretty fun too. HSU looks like it could be my destination for a transfer school, having lived up in Eureka and gone to JC there, it'd be alright. I might head down to Cal Poly-SLO as well.
That plaza is full of nutty people though. They never bother me, but its fun to watch them tweaking out. Really funny.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

EMA747
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:54 pm

I have felt safe whenever I have been in Copenhagen.

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 19):
My money's on Singapore

Yea Singapore is very safe I think.

How about Hong Kong? I have been there quite a few times and have never felt unsafe at any time of the day or night.

TheSonntag

Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:25 am

I agree 100%, when I lived there I always felt safe.

However... My bike was stolen in Viborg, during the day. So nobody is perfect  Wink

NZKTBOY

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:03 pm

norfolk island

if u take any thing theres no were to go u cant sell it and everybody KNOWS who u are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do i have to live here??

kiwiinoz

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting EMA747 (Reply 25):
How about Hong Kong? I have been there quite a few times and have never felt unsafe at any time of the day or night.

Very safe, but probably not as much as Singapore. Still a lot of gang related crime. I guess if you don't own racehorses it wouldn't be a problem

Doona

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:27 pm

My town of Lund here in Sweden is fairly safe. The cops here busy themselves with throwing drunken students in the lock-up to sober up, but other than that, they don't appear to have alot to do.

And while I don't really count theft when it comes to safety, bikes are stolen pretty much all the time, mine was pinched from right outside my window a couple of months ago. This pisses me off a little, since there are plenty of better bikes around, all with cheaper and crappier locks than mine. But hey, it happens to everyone at least once here, nobody really cares. Most of us have cheap used bikes anyway.

Japan is pretty safe as well. Street crime is pretty much non-existant. When you hear about murders or beatings it's usually freak-events. The Yakuza mobs seem to monopolize other sorts of crime, and keep it pretty civilized. Anyone with a different impression than me, go ahead and shoot me down  Smile

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Arniepie

Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 pm

For the big cities I would say TOKYO and the KOBE/OSAKA/NAGOYA area are places you feel safe any time of the day.
Also I must say that although not safe to some countries standards New York improved vastly the past 10 years.
[edit post]

raffik

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:30 pm

I was born and lived in Southend On Sea for 21 years. It was voted as the safest town in the United Kingdom last year. I know live in Nottingham, which was voted as the most unsafe place England, although the figures are always disputed.

Nottingham is a lot more chavvy than Southend, perhaps because the economy in the North is worse than the South and people cannot afford proper clothes made out of cotton and silk.
- Alec

ag92

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:33 pm

Well the safest country could possibly be Singapore

Being a resident at the age of 14 I can safely say that I have been traveling alone since I am 8 or 9. I will have no worries whether it is midnight or daytime.

I remember one day a couple of years ago, where I had to go home for an emergency and no one could accompany me. It was approx. 1am local time and I just hopped on to a cab and told him to go to back to home

Regards

Aeroflot777

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:00 am

San Francisco is a very safe city to live in. Crime rate is going down at the moment. Because it's pretty lively at night, many things are going on at night, and it's pretty darn safe to roam the streets worry-free. Obviously don't go into the stereotypical bad neighborhoods such as the Tenderloin.

Aeroflot777

Superfly

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 33):
Obviously don't go into the stereotypical bad neighborhoods such as the Tenderloin.

The Tenderloin isn't dangerous. It's just dirty and has a lot of panhandlers and transvestites. All they'll do is beg for money. Nothing life threatening.
The scary part is Bayshore/Hunters Point.
Innes street is the worst.
Bring back the Concorde

HUYguy

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 31):
Nottingham is a lot more chavvy than Southend, perhaps because the economy in the North is worse than the South and people cannot afford proper clothes made out of cotton and silk.

Lol, that made me laugh. We have Primark now, there's no excuse for wearing cheap trakkies! I personally wouldn't count Nottingham as North either, I live in Lincoln, which is further north and its counted as the East Midlands. Also, I can safely say that I own no clothing items made of silk.

EMA747
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:21 am

I know live in Nottingham

So do I.  bigthumbsup 

You Southerners! lol  Big grin I dont own any chavvy clothes at all. I have to agree with you though that it is pretty chavvy. Friday and Saturday nights are pretty rough, but its like everywhere, if you go to the wrong places you are asking for trouble.

qr332

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:50 am

If all goes well, i'll be joining all you "Shottingham" residents in 9 months time. I've got my offer from the University of Nottingham, now I just need the grades... i've heard great things about it though, despite the gun crime problems. But generally, people say as long as you stay away from the bad areas, your fine.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

767Lover

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:04 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 33):
San Francisco

mmm, SF reported more instances of violent crime in 2006 than San Diego and San Jose, both of which are larger cities population-wise.

Also, the crime rate 2005-2006 went up.

Source:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/prelim06/t4al_ca.htm

texan

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 18):
My very small town in the United States is very safe. I could walk around at 4:00 AM and the only person that would probably approach me is someone asking if I'm okay.

Up here in rural Vermont it is the same way. Except that nobody else would be out at 0400  Silly

I have not heard of a crime being committed in this area since moving up here in August, other than a couple students being arrested for DWI or DUI after leaving the bar (there is only one bar in a 20 mile radius and there is only one road leading to it. The state troopers simply sit at the bridge and wait for people to do something wrong like not come to a complete stop, improper use of a turn signal, etc). Although apparently someone's house was burgled 3 or so years ago. The benefits of living in an area whose population is less than 2,000.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

EMA747
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:40 am

QR332, let me wish you an early welcome to Nottigham. Hope you get the grades for University of Nottingham, I am a Nottingham Trent student (the enemy of Nottingham University and vica versa  Big grin) but I have to say that Nottingham University is very good and the university grounds are really beautiful. You will have an excellent time here.

raffik

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am

Quoting QR332 (Reply 37):
If all goes well, i'll be joining all you "Shottingham"

It'll be a pleasure to have you join us! Please don't read any of the misguided, headline grabbing stories and statistics that the media throw around about Nottingham.

I was in a rush earlier so I didn't get to the point with my post! I lived in Southend, supposedly the safest place in England (!) I experienced more crime there than I have in Nottingham. True, there are some dodgy areas of the city, (as are in virtually all major cities) and areas you would avoid (St Annes, Lenton, Forest Fields... sorry for offending anyone who lives there!)

But the city is buzzing- always lots to do. Geared towards young people with clubs, bars, galleries and pubs, it's alive. The architecture and parks in Nottingham are lovely, and it's surrounded by wonderful countryside and located conveniently in the country- 2 hours to London by train, within the cachement of East Midlands airport, that has connections accross the world, and MAN, LBA, BHX etc.

I like Nottingham because the people are a great deal friendlier than those in the South and the city is vibrant.
- Alec

DALelite

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:51 am

Basel/Switzerland is somewhat safe...
San Juan/Pueto Rico is somewhat safe...

these are places i know... but there are many others...

find peace: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

Aeroflot777

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 38):
Also, the crime rate 2005-2006 went up.

I don't know, I guess I'm wrong them. But about a month ago, all news stations we're reporting a decrease in crime rate from last year.

Aeroflot777

EMA747
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:29 am

Quoting Raffik (Reply 41):
Please don't read any of the misguided, headline grabbing stories and statistics that the media throw around about Nottingham.

Couldnt agree more.

max999

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 am

I can't speak for the U.K. but here in North America, I'd say Canada would be the safest country.
Here in the United States, safe cities I'd pick;

(small towns)
Madison, Wisconsin
Arcata, California
Black Rock City, Nevada

(big cities)
San Francisco,Ca
Minneapolis, MN
Honolulu, HI

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 30):
Also I must say that although not safe to some countries standards New York improved vastly the past 10 years.

According to the FBI, New York City is the safest large city in the US.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14910822/
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Cory6188

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Hanover, NH, where I go to Dartmouth, is about as safe as you can get. In fact, they only put locks on the dorm buildings in like 2003 because students' parents demanded it, not for any particular reason otherwise...

ba757gla

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:47 pm

what about glasgow?
with all them third world areas in the north and east of the city have you seen possilpark and garthamlock! jesus there a wreck !

AirframeAS

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 20):
That is a ridiculous statement.

How? Its a factually true statement. You're just in denial, man. You can still get assaulted in the smallest town you can think of. But then again, I respect your opinion.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

CPH813

Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 26):
However... My bike was stolen in Viborg, during the day. So nobody is perfect

Ah well I have gotten my bike stolen once as well  Smile But that was also because I didn't lock it :P