LHRjc
Topic Author

Beckham To Leave Real Madrid

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:37 pm

If anyone cares....

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1246849,00.html

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

Looks like it's official that Beckham will leave Real Madrid. Anyone wanna speculate where he's gonna go from here ?

JC
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

yowza

RE: Beckham To Leave Real Madrid

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:39 pm

I'm going to guess a short stint back in England, probably with the Gunners then over to the MLS' LA Galaxy.

YOWza

Thom@s

Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:55 pm

*** First of all, completely off topic: Love the ad just above my reply window here... "THE FART BUTTON. Press it, you know you want to."  bigthumbsup  ***

If he actually stands by what he has said earlier, he will never play for any Premier League club besides Man Utd. A respectable decision, much like the one Keane made when he left United*.

However I can't picture that move as very possible... Although Beckham claims he has sorted things out with Ferguson, I doubt Fergie would take him back just like that. Besides what would United really need Becks for? His position is filled by a certain Portuguese, and there is no way Beckham will take his place in the squad. So it would be a lot of time spent on the bench for him if he rejoined United. (Personally I think it would be fun if he did come back, and play a few matches before retiring. The no10 shirt is even up for grabs.. Hehe.)

My guess is either a different Spanish club, or possibly the move to MLS.

Thom@s

*got booted out by an angry Scotsman.
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

IFEMaster

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 1):
over to the MLS

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 2):
possibly the move to MLS

checkmark 

That's the one I'm hoping for. I'm a season ticket holder at the Galaxy, and whether Beckham goes there or to another MLS team, it will be good for the MLS in general. Beckham is a known 'personality' over here, even with those who don't like or follow football, so to get someone of his calibre in the MLS will be good for the league and good for the American game.

I know Alexi Lalas has been very vocal over his desire to see Beckham come to the Galaxy, and certainly wouldn't mind seeing him pull on the Galaxy colours. The thought of him and Landon Donovan forming a midfield partnership is quite exciting, and he would also make a great replacement for the tiring Cobi Jones.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Sabena332

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:43 am

Wow, more and more of the big names are dissapearing from Real's player list, Zidane, Figo, Beckham...

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

JamieD

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 1):
probably with the Gunners

I really can't see him being a valuable addition to our squad, nor can I see Wenger being interested in him. He's old (compared to the rest of the players), has no pace and crosses the ball too much to fit in with our style of play.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 4):
more and more of the big names are dissapearing from Real's player list, Zidane, Figo, Beckham...

True, but they're certainly investing in the club's future. Look at their latest signings: Gonzalo Higuaín (19), Fernando Gago (19) and Marcelo (18). And not to mention the more experienced players they brought in last summer like van Nistelrooy, Emerson, Diarra, Cannavaro and Cicinho. Who needs Beckham with a squad like that?

[Edited 2007-01-10 18:19:39]

Sabena332

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting JamieD (Reply 5):
Who needs Beckham with a squad like that?

I agree, Real is still a top team, also without Beckham and the others who left the club.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

cornish

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting LHRjc (Thread starter):
Anyone wanna speculate where he's gonna go from here ?

Wherever his wife wants him to go (and I'm not entirely joking).

Seeing she wants to make it big in LA, I suspect they'll head across to the states - especially as Tom Cruise and Kaydeee are their new best friends  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

kaddyuk

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 am

Beckham was never signed to Real as a football player... he sells football shirts...

Real Madrid aren't stupid...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

9V

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:15 am

Real have won nothing while Beckham has been there. They have lost 3 out of their last 4 games and he has hardly had a play. I think if he does leave Real he will head for the USA.  Wink

Thom@s

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:20 am

nor can I see Wenger being interested in him.

Well there is a vacancy as soon as Freddie is shipped back to Sweden...  Wink

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

LTU932

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting LHRjc (Thread starter):
Beckham To Leave Real Madrid

As long as he doesn't go to the Bundesliga or joins Arsenal or Celtic Glasgow, fine by me. He should have joined the LA Galaxy when Klinsmann was still around, but perhaps he should get Posh Spice to move with him to LA anyway. The less divas we have in Europe, the better.  Wink

kaddyuk

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 9):
Real have won nothing while Beckham has been there. They have lost 3 out of their last 4 games and he has hardly had a play. I think if he does leave Real he will head for the USA.

If he's hardly played, its not his fault they lost the last 3 out of 4 games is it...?
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:33 am

The US league is where some fading footballers usually end up, and i'm afraid Beck's career is winding down slowly. He has talked about how he admires and respects Arsene Wenger and Arsenal, but that's just a personal opinion. Besides, Arsenal are interested in Franck Ribery, he won't cost as much and can dribble past defenders.
In Arsene we trust!!

IFEMaster

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 13):
he won't cost as much

Well, Beckham's contract is up at the end of this season, so Beckham would be eligible as a Bosman free...that might be attractive for some, but probably not for Wenger. I could see someone like Paul Jewell or Harry Redknapp trying to lure him, though.

Thom@s

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 12):
If he's hardly played, its not his fault they lost the last 3 out of 4 games is it...?

Good point.

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 13):
Arsenal are interested in Franck Ribery, he won't cost as much and can dribble past defenders.

Ribery is a wanted man, and I don't think Arsenal are gonna get him cheap. Beckham, if sold, probably wouldn't cost as much as the frenchman, as he is out of shape and approaching retirement age for an average football player.

Thom@s

LTU932

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 15):
Ribery is a wanted man, and I don't think Arsenal are gonna get him cheap.

The FC Bayern in Germany also wants to buy Ribéry, and they're willing to pay big Euros for him.

srbmod

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:51 am

He's headed to the MLS, and I think he'll end up @ Red Bull New York. The Galaxy is also a possibility, but I think that if he does come over in time for the upcoming season, he may end up with Toronto F.C. in order to boost interest in the new club.

Thom@s

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 16):
The FC Bayern in Germany also wants to buy Ribéry, and they're willing to pay big Euros for him.

Man United were chasing him ahead of the World Cup last summer, but I don't think they are focusing much on him now. There is a certain Englishman in Bayern Munchen which Sir Alex has been drooling all over for over half a year now. (Not literally though, that would be a tad inappropriate...)

Thom@s

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 14):
Well, Beckham's contract is up at the end of this season, so Beckham would be eligible as a Bosman free...that might be attractive for some, but probably not for Wenger. I could see someone like Paul Jewell or Harry Redknapp trying to lure him, though.

The transfer fee won't be an issue, it's his wages, even if he took a pay cut we are still talking big bucks. Not only that, he wouldn't get more than a one year contract at the Emirates. It would be nice to see him here, but we do have Walcott and Hleb.  Smile
In Arsene we trust!!

LTU932

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 18):
There is a certain Englishman in Bayern Munchen which Sir Alex has been drooling all over for over half a year now.

Yes. And Uli Hoeness the FCB is drooling all over him even more than Sir Alex and ManU, so they will continue to not release him at all.  Wink

Thom@s

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 20):
Yes. And Uli Hoeness the FCB is drooling all over him even more than Sir Alex and ManU, so they will continue to not release him at all.

Well, they'll get him next summer then. I understand his contract is up then, and he hasn't exactly pleaded for a renewal...  Wink

Thom@s

LTU932

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 21):
Well, they'll get him next summer then. I understand his contract is up then, and he hasn't exactly pleaded for a renewal...

I don't know about when Hargreaves's contract is up (it's probably in 2008 though), but what you say will be true, and the FCB won't be able to do a thing by then because of the Bosman rule. Big grin

EZEIZA

Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:51 am

i for one would like for Becks to stay at RM. Granted he has not been playing very well, but this has been the general level of he whole team, so I don't think its fair to point at Beckham. What i most liked about him is that he has been in the last couple fo seasons the plaer that has proven to have more heart in the team than any other player. You could see that he suffered defeats and really enjoyed winning. Most of the pther players seem to not give a crap about the team, as long as their juicy paycheck is cashed in every month.

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

legoguy

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:19 am

It would be great to see him back playing within the UK, and considering he still loves Mancheste United....any things possible! Alot of his friends still play there such as Neville etc etc.

However where ever he goes, he's bound to get better treatment than he did at Real Madrid. He's only started 9 times this season...
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

fbgdavidson

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:05 am

He's old (compared to the rest of the players), has no pace and crosses the ball too much to fit in with our style of play.

You play for Arsenal? Cool!

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 19):
It would be nice to see him here, but we do have Walcott and Hleb.

You as well?!

I didn't realise we had two Arsenal footie players here!  Wow!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Thom@s

Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:26 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 24):
Alot of his friends still play there such as Neville

That's about his only one, isn't it? Big grin  Wink

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 25):
I didn't realise we had two Arsenal footie players here!

It's called being pashionate about your team. I you support the team, you are part of it (up to a certain point).  Wink

Btw, there is nothing wrong with a good old fashioned Viking attack...

Anyway, back on topic, it appears there is some confusion now as to whether Real have actually said Beckham is unwanted. Last I heard was that they are still negotiating, and that they are still waiting for Beckhams reply.

Thom@s

legoguy

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 26):
That's about his only one, isn't it?

And Giggs, Scholes, maybe not Ronaldo, Ferdinand. Still quite afew old buddies at Man U  Silly

In a recent interview he said that he hoped Manchester United would win the premiership.

Thom@s

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 27):
And Giggs, Scholes,

What about his pal Fergie?  Wink

maybe not Ronaldo, Ferdinand.

Why not Ronaldo and Ferdinand?  Confused

In a recent interview he said that he hoped Manchester United would win the premiership.

He probably said "I really hope Man United win the Premiership. No, I mean I hope they do well... I do of course want us (Real Madrid) to win the Premiership."

biggrin 

Thom@s

Kieron747

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:11 pm

I can't wait! I hope he comes here to the States, He's my idol. I'm his biggest fan!

Signed,

KROC
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Thom@s

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 29):
I can't wait! I hope he comes here to the States, He's my idol. I'm his biggest fan!

Signed,

KROC

Double good news for KROC, Becks is bringing the wife too. So both of Mike's idols are on the way.

Doesn't get any better than this.  

Btw, just read that Beckham is wanted in Manchester... but by City.

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/48/488/488561/becksepa_1168517529.jpg
WTF... Not City!!?

Thom@s

[Edited 2007-01-11 15:28:42]

legoguy

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 28):
Why not Ronaldo and Ferdinand?

I ment he's good friends with Ferdinand, but probably not good friends with Ronaldo after the world cup, as well as the fact that Ronaldo is the guy who replaced him at Utd.

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 30):
Btw, just read that Beckham is wanted in Manchester... but by City.

Well as long as it's in the UK  Silly

oli80

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:13 am

Watching Sky Sports news and apparently he IS going to LA.

The bbc has a link too quoting Reuters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

He can kiss his England career goodbye.

edit: he will earn a reported $200 million over 5 years.  Wow!

[Edited 2007-01-11 16:14:51]

Thom@s

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:43 am

Off to the old folks home for football legends...

Thom@s

aerobalance

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 32):
Watching Sky Sports news and apparently he IS going to LA.

Probably wants to get into acting, hold it, that's what footballers do anyways....  Smile
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 am

he will earn a reported $200 million over 5 years.

No he won't. The MLS has a salary cap, and he won't earn anywhere near that much over 5 years.

However, his presence in the MLS will garner all sorts of sponsorship deals, and he will make a mint from that.

He can kiss his England career goodbye.

He did that last summer.

I'm off to renew my season tickets...

N1120A

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 35):
No he won't. The MLS has a salary cap, and he won't earn anywhere near that much over 5 years.

You apparently haven't heard about the Beckham Rule. It was created as soon as he started talking about moving to the US to ride out his career. It allows an MLS team an extra allocation that is essentially unlimited and only counts a small part toward the cap. This means the Galaxy will be able to keep Donovan and have Becks on the team. BTW, the new talk has the contract possibly valued at $250 million.

For those who don't understand the term allocation in this context, this is the quick and dirty. In the MLS, contracts work in a way they don't work in most other pro leagues. Instead of signing with a specific team, you sign your contract with the league and are "allocated" to the team according to certain rules which are bent all the time to satisfy specific needs (Freddy Adu's start at D.C. United is a key example, as is Landon Donovan's move to the Galaxy upon his MLS return). A team can trade you for other players, an allocation or both.

FWIW, I am betting this contract has some sort of image right clause in it, similar to what his contract at Madrid had.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
You apparently haven't heard about the Beckham Rule. It was created as soon as he started talking about moving to the US to ride out his career. It allows an MLS team an extra allocation that is essentially unlimited and only counts a small part toward the cap. This means the Galaxy will be able to keep Donovan and have Becks on the team. BTW, the new talk has the contract possibly valued at $250 million.

Sure I've heard of it, but it won't be anywhere near $250 million. Lets wait and see if any of the contract details are released, but considering that MLS is barely profitable and most teams lose money, I'd be surprised if it's a figure that large. If it, then I'll gladly eat my words.

N1120A

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 37):
but considering that MLS is barely profitable and most teams lose money, I'd be surprised if it's a figure that large.

The MLS doesn't pay the players, the teams do. The Galaxy is by far the most profitable team in the MLS. That, combined with how many Beckham jerseys are going to sell at Victoria Street, will make his contract worth it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

alphafloor

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 7):
Wherever his wife wants him to go.

...where there is champagne and flash. Hollywood is a good choice for that purpose.
Whatever

oli80

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
The MLS doesn't pay the players, the teams do

Sky Sports News reckoned that the company that either have a large stake in the LA Galaxy or own the team (not sure which), are an image/marketing company and they will be footing a large part of the bill. Included in that salary are his image rights. (don't shoot the messenger if this turns out to be wrong)

edit: The company is called AEG

[Edited 2007-01-11 17:58:35]

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:59 am

The MLS doesn't pay the players, the teams do.

Wrong. The MLS pays up to $400,000 of a player's salary, the rest is up to the team. Most players in the MLS don't earn above $400,000, so are paid by the MLS, but the better players (those that have played in Europe, featured in the national team etc.). Those players that currently exceed the amount paid by the MLS will be grandfathered in to the Beckham Rule but the teams concerned won't lose their player allocation slot for players above and beyond that amount. That will exist for one season only before review, and then the rule expires in two seasons' time, where the rule itself will be up for review.

9V

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:00 am

See, told you he'd go to the US.  Wink

$250 millions not bad either. He'll be hanging around with Tom Cruise all the time now.

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 40):
Sky Sports News reckoned that the company that either have a large stake in the LA Galaxy or own the team (not sure which), are an image/marketing company and they will be footing a large part of the bill. Included in that salary are his image rights. (don't shoot the messenger if this turns out to be wrong)

Time for people to read up on how the MLS operates. There isn't that kind of money rolling around the MLS for a $250 million deal. All teams are owned and operated by the MLS. There are some outside sponsorship deals, and the MLS is moving towards independent team ownership and operation, but for the most part it is entirely a centralized operation.

Read this wikipedia article for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer

Derico

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:17 am

David Beckam is still a relevant player?

There is a soccer league in the United States?

Wow, I bet most argentines didn't even know either of those were the case.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

oli80

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:18 am

Okay,

right now they have a guy called Ivan Gazidis (spelling?) who is the MLS Deputy Commissioner on. He says that they have made a new rule allowing each team to sign 1 'extra special' player and this player is exempt from any kind of salary cap.

He stated that the owners of the LA Galaxy will be footing the entire bill - all $200-$250 million of it. He said (and this bit was speculation) that they should be able to cover their costs on his image rights alone.

Those are his words, not mine.

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 45):
He stated that the owners of the LA Galaxy will be footing the entire bill

He's bending (like Beckham?) the truth a bit...MLS will be paying the Galaxy $400,000 a year for their 'allocation'. They'll be screwed at the end of next season, though, when they end up with two 'allocation' players and only one 'allocation' slot (Beckham and Donovan).

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:03 am

I suspect it is more of a lifestyle choice than a footballing decision. He has a academy in LA, his wife likes the Hollywood bling, and he's friends with Tom Cruise. Not only that, none of the big English clubs want him, and i don't think he fancies Everton or West Ham. Whatever it is, it's a big step-down as far as football is concerned, the US league is the equivalent of the first division in terms of football.
In Arsene we trust!!

9V

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:11 am

quick and dirty.  Smile

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

fxramper

Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:37 am

with how many Beckham jerseys

I'm gonna buy one!  checkmark