AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Have The Democrats Disappointed You So Far?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:16 am

The American electorate has spoken, and Congress is now under the control of the Democratic Party. Nevertheless, the question must be asked: What does that party stand for, and why is it that it has failed to announce its program of leadership?

When the GOP, under Newt Gingrich, took control of Congress many years ago after a long sojourn in the wilderness, it did so under the fanfare of the so-called "Contract with America". By contrast, the Democrats' so-called "100 Hours" of action appears relatively unknown -- and unimportant. It includes, for example, such earth-shaking initiatives as... lowered rates for student loans?

Really?

The Democrats control the Senate as well as Congress -- and the Senate has been, if anything, typically lethargic and nondescript.

The Democrats should seize the moment rather than grasping at straws. They have promised rather little, and I, think, have done even less.

What's next? Such exciting benefits as... amnesty for illegal aliens? How, praytell, does this serve the interests of the working American, whom the Democrats have traditionally represented, or at least, say they have?

It's time that those Americans who voted for them express their disappointment with what has occurred -- or, rather, failed to occur -- in this new era of Democratic leadership.

[Edited 2007-01-11 17:33:44]
What's fair is fair.

Dougloid

RE: Have The Democrats Disappointed You So Far?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:21 am

Well, for chrissakes...they were sworn in Monday and it's Thursday morning.....and you're already convinced they're a do nothing congress....look, fella, you'll have plenty of time to grind your axe.
Give me a fuckin' break.

confused   confused   confused 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 1):
Well, for chrissakes...they were sworn in Monday and it's Thursday morning.....and you're already convinced they're a do nothing congress....look, fella, you'll have plenty of time to grind your axe.

I believe that none other than Dick Morris, a former friend of Bill Clinton, has already criticized the Democrats during this new period of leadership.

He has done so by stating, according to one headline, that they have lessened their moral authority by taking a vacation on behalf of a football match.
What's fair is fair.

Dougloid

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:42 am

If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 3):
Morris is a horse's patoot.

Goodness; shall we refrain from ad hominen attacks?

I pray that we should.
What's fair is fair.

n229nw

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:51 am

I'm profoundly disappointed. In the long period since they took control of congress on Monday, I've been watching. For one, the way Harry Reid brushes his teeth is horrible. He misses spots and doesn't floss right. Also Nancy Pelosi got some ketchup on her sleeve at lunch the other day. I don't want to throw this word around lightly, but it's kind of...treasonous. Of course, the BBC has completely left all this out of their supposedly "even-handed" coverage, and Rush Limbaugh is being sent to Gitmo so he won't be able to expose the truth either. It only confirms my expectations, though.

Signed,
Aerospacefan

[Edited 2007-01-11 17:58:34]
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:57 am

And yet, it is true that at least one report has it that the Democrats have criticized the President's brave speech on Iraq without providing an alternative.

This -- this -- is leadership?

The Democrats have had months to prepare for this, their shining moment to prove their mettle. And, arguably, it is even a matter of years, if we count the elections of two years ago, wherein they lost their campaign for the Executive Office.

But, instead of brilliance, we are greeted with matte-like opacity. Relatively few knew what the Democrats wanted for Iraq during Campaign 2004 -- and, in 2007, even fewer know what they want now.

A plea for information from the Democratic leadership, and word of advice: "Let's cut and walk" is not a substitute for the criticism that they seek to "cut and run".

Genuine leadership requires communication. It abhors avoidance and silence, which, in turn, remonstrate those who merely seek to lead in their absence.

[Edited 2007-01-11 18:09:31]
What's fair is fair.

Superfly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:02 am

AerospaceFan:
Hate to do this to you but you have an...

This Democratic Congress thing sounds like it's eating you alive.
Take a deep breath and relax a little.

Nancy Pelosi is the most powerful woman in the world. Everything will be just fine.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:05 am

The Democrats have not disappointed me one bit. In just a couple of days in power, they've so infuriated the Rush Limbaugh crowd, just by winning, that his cult of merry men can't even quote each other right, while they stumble over each other in an attempt to discredit the freshly minted Congress.

Bliss. Pure bliss.

Carry on. And thank you, GOP.
International Homo of Mystery

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:07 am

I have an obsession, all right, and it's known as the pursuit of what's good for our country.

If they bottled it, it might be sold for a premium, but if so, only for its relative rarity.

I should like to believe, however, that it is as common as the air we breathe.

Isn't it?
What's fair is fair.

ANCFlyer

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 1):
Well, for chrissakes...they were sworn in Monday and it's Thursday morning.....

Exactly my thoughts. Hell, they haven't done anything yet . . . . talked a lot of talk, passed some benign BS bills, talk more talk, and checked out the exectuve crappers in the Hart Building . . .

So what!?

Why don't you come back in a month and ask the same question ASF, just program yourself to resend topic about then.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
Nancy Pelosi is the most powerful woman in the world.

No No NO 'Fly, only in the US . . .  rotfl 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AeroWesty

Nancy Pelosi is the most powerful woman in the world. Everything will be just fine.

checkmark   checkmark   rotfl 

Brilliant!

OlegShv

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:09 am

AF, please, relax...

I think

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 10):
Exactly my thoughts. Hell, they haven't done anything yet . . . . talked a lot of talk, passed some benign BS bills, talk more talk, and checked out the exectuve crappers in the Hart Building . . .

So what!?

The phrase, "Strike while the iron is hot", comes to mind.

Political moments are ephemeral. Call for war at the right moment, and you are a hero. Be dragged into war at the moment after, and you are a knave. We live in the age of the ICBM, the Airborne Laser, and the 15-minute news cycle. He who hesitates, is lost -- or, at least, verbally pummelled into utter submission.

As a public citizen, all I ask is that the Democrats do what is right -- for our country -- for you, and for me.

Political bullshit be damned -- the Democrats should do what they must do.

A "Democracy" is only as good as the citizenship behind it.

[Edited 2007-01-11 18:19:26]
What's fair is fair.

Superfly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:22 am

Will somebody PLEASE remove the batteries from AerospaceFan's back?
He just keeps going, and going, and going, and going, and going..........

Bring back the Concorde

UALPHLCS

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:24 am

The Democrats in Congress haven't disappointed me one bit.

They have done everything I expected they would do before the election.

They have done nothing that will earn my vote in the next election.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

CastleIsland

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 15):
They have done nothing that will earn my vote in the next election.

Thanks for giving them 3 1/2 days to change the world. Mighty big of ya.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

UALPHLCS

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 16):

They gave themselves 100 hours. I haven't seen anything earth-shaking. Besides it was supposed to be a new day in America simply because Democrats were now in control.

We wait with baited breath...

Mir

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 13):
Political moments are ephemeral. Call for war at the right moment, and you are a hero. Be dragged into war at the moment after, and you are a knave. We live in the age of the ICBM, the Airborne Laser, and the 15-minute news cycle. He who hesitates, is lost -- or, at least, verbally pummelled into utter submission.

Well, if you really want your government to run at lightning speed, I suggest you move to Venezuela, where there's really no need for debate or discussion - whatever Chavez says goes. I'll be staying here, though, where the legislative process takes a certain amount of time to unfold.

Ask this question again at the end of January and you might see some decent responses. But as of now, it's like asking how the game has gone after the opening kickoff.

I've been wondering when we'd be seeing that again.  biggrin 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

174thfwff

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:39 am

Nancy Pelosi is the most powerful woman in the world. Everything will be just fine.

I'll only judge her after her first few CYCLES... if ya'll know what I mean.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 15):
The Democrats in Congress haven't disappointed me one bit.

An appropriate response, sadly.

I am far more interested in results than partisanship, and I would have hoped that the Democrats, after such a long time out of power, would have shown their eagerness to act by means impressive to an electorate clearly interested -- by the Democrats' own lights -- in change. Sadly, what has made news, instead, is the self-aggrandizement of Speaker Pelosi upon proclaiming her uniqueness as a female politician of the highest caliber -- and this, from a liberal media!

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 16):

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 17):
They gave themselves 100 hours. I haven't seen anything earth-shaking. Besides it was supposed to be a new day in America simply because Democrats were now in control.

I do believe that the above exchange is self-contained as well as self-explanatory. Bravo, UALPHLCS!
What's fair is fair.

CastleIsland

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:41 am

They gave themselves 100 hours.

Well, then give them 100 hours.  Wink

Besides it was supposed to be a new day in America simply because Democrats were now in control.

As a liberal who has little but contempt for both parties, I never thought that.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting 174thfwff (Reply 19):
CYCLES... if ya'll know what I mean

I'm sure at 66 she's menopausal, if ya know what I mean.  stirthepot 

WellHung

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
The American electorate has spoken, and Congress is now under the control of the Democratic Party. Nevertheless, the question must be asked: What does that party stand for, and why is it that it has failed to announce its program of leadership?

When the GOP, under Newt Gingrich, took control of Congress many years ago after a long sojourn in the wilderness, it did so under the fanfare of the so-called "Contract with America". By contrast, the Democrats' so-called "100 Hours" of action appears relatively unknown -- and unimportant. It includes, for example, such earth-shaking initiatives as... lowered rates for student loans?

Really?

The Democrats control the Senate as well as Congress -- and the Senate has been, if anything, typically lethargic and nondescript.

The Democrats should seize the moment rather than grasping at straws. They have promised rather little, and I, think, have done even less.

What's next? Such exciting benefits as... amnesty for illegal aliens? How, praytell, does this serve the interests of the working American, whom the Democrats have traditionally represented, or at least, say they have?

It's time that those Americans who voted for them express their disappointment with what has occurred -- or, rather, failed to occur -- in this new era of Democratic leadership.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 6):
And yet, it is true that at least one report has it that the Democrats have criticized the President's brave speech on Iraq without providing an alternative.

This -- this -- is leadership?

The Democrats have had months to prepare for this, their shining moment to prove their mettle. And, arguably, it is even a matter of years, if we count the elections of two years ago, wherein they lost their campaign for the Executive Office.

But, instead of brilliance, we are greeted with matte-like opacity. Relatively few knew what the Democrats wanted for Iraq during Campaign 2004 -- and, in 2007, even fewer know what they want now.

A plea for information from the Democratic leadership, and word of advice: "Let's cut and walk" is not a substitute for the criticism that they seek to "cut and run".

Genuine leadership requires communication. It abhors avoidance and silence, which, in turn, remonstrate those who merely seek to lead in their absence.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 9):
I have an obsession, all right, and it's known as the pursuit of what's good for our country.

If they bottled it, it might be sold for a premium, but if so, only for its relative rarity.

Isn't it?

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 13):
The phrase, "Strike while the iron is hot", comes to mind.

As a public citizen, all I ask is that the Democrats do what is right -- for our country -- for you, and for me.

Political bullshit be damned -- the Democrats should do what they must do.

A "Democracy" is only as good as the citizenship behind it.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:45 am

^^ Would that we all grieve as much for the fate of a country so cynical of political process that we should expect nothing from them -- and receive less.
What's fair is fair.

AirCop

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:45 am

Right and the do nothing congress for the past six years was working for what's good for our country? Apparently the voters of this country had other ideas as to what is best for the United States.

UALPHLCS

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 21):
As a liberal who has little but contempt for both parties, I never thought that.

Well that's mighty big of ya!

You apparently weren't in on the memo.

searpqx

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:50 am

Isn't it?

It's more common than most think, and why, except for those with an ax to grind, most of us are willing to give them more than 3.5 days to actually do something.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 26):
Right and the do nothing congress for the past six years was working for what's good for our country? Apparently the voters of this country had other ideas as to what is best for the United States.

If your second sentence is accurate -- and let us propose, for discussion, that it is -- then why is it a question at all what the Democrats have even begun to do, let alone actually accomplished?

If to do something is what is valued, and if, it is, indeed, the mandate of the people who elected this new Democratic leadership, then why is it that the foremost news of what the party of FDR has done is to announce the greatness of its own leadership, or, failing that, stark resistance and stonewalling as to Presidential plans for change -- rather than that of transformation and renewal? And, after all, if global warming, as liberals urge, is real, why is this the winter of our discontent, rather than springtime of our renaissance?

I ask, then, not for miracles. I ask not for what is uncommon. I ask not for what the people cannot expect. It is the opposite: I ask for what the electorate appears to have demanded, and what the Democratic leadership simply has failed to provide, to date.

[Edited 2007-01-11 18:54:25]
What's fair is fair.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 28):
It's more common than most think, and why, except for those with an ax to grind, most of us are willing to give them more than 3.5 days to actually do something.

Ah, yes. Three and a half days, or 84 hours. Have we accomplished 84% of the 100-hour program of change?

Perhaps, in fairness, it is in regard to Congressional hours, and not literal.

That would, of course, account for why time off was taken for a football game.... So much better!

Or, perhaps not.
What's fair is fair.

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 30):

That would, of course, account for why time off was taken for a football game.... So much better!

Or, perhaps not.

Is there some point to this, or are you having a snow day and just bored?

mdsh00

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 am

Patience, they haven't even been in for a week!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 31):

A snow day in Southern California?
What's fair is fair.

AirCop

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 30):
Ah, yes. Three and a half days, or 84 hours. Have we accomplished 84% of the 100-hour program of change?

Need to subtract some hours, the 100 hours started Tuesday. Apparently some members of Congress wanted most of Monday off, for the BCS game. Priorities.

Superfly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:04 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 31):

According to his profile, he is in Los Angeles. No snowfall down there.

WellHung:
We've had our fights in other threads but damn, that was hella funny!  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:12 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 32):
A snow day in Southern California?

Well Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead gets snowdays and that is Southern California too.  wave 
Bring back the Concorde

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
Well Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead gets snowdays and that is Southern California too.

Touche'.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

LTU932

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:15 am

Here's a question: how can the democrats disappoint if they haven't even been in office for at least a month?

AirCop

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 28):
If to do something is what is valued, and if, it is, indeed, the mandate of the people who elected this new Democratic leadership, then why is it that the foremost news of what the party of FDR has done is to announce the greatness of its own leadership, or, failing that, stark resistance and stonewalling as to Presidential plans for change -- rather than that of transformation and renewal? And, after all, if global warming, as liberals urge, is real, why is this the winter of our discontent, rather than springtime of our renaissance?

What the heck are you talking about? What you wrote doesn't make much sense, again considering Congress has been is session for three days. May I suggest that you check out the travel section of your Sunday LA Times, there are some good vacation buys, right I forgot, in another post you mentioned that you don't leave the country.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 38):
What you wrote doesn't make much sense, again considering Congress has been is session for three days.

I wouldn't be so interested in what the Democrats should have accomplished in three days if it weren't the fact that they've sold themselves as the "100 Hour" Congress.

Essentially, we would be told that they'd be kicking ass and taking names. Instead, apparently, they're more interested in .... well, let's just say football kick-offs or playing games. No further rhyming is necessary here.  Wink

{ Rimshot }
What's fair is fair.

Superfly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 38):
in another post you mentioned that you don't leave the country.

Sounds like he doesn't leave the house either!  rotfl 
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:21 am

What cracks me up as much as your obsession with the Republican loss, is your hypocrisy. If the Republican's had won and someone had started a thread today saying, 'See, the Republicans are still in control and things aren't getting any better'; after the usual suspects got done rolling their eyes and dismissing the thread as the 'weekly Republican/Bush bashing thread', you would be on here pontificating about what a 'fallacy it is to have unrealistic expectations that such an august and stately body, as that of the US Congress, would be able to make any significant change in the course of our country, nay our history, in so little a temporal span as 84 hours or 3.5 days'.  Wink

Continental

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:26 am

such earth-shaking initiatives as... lowered rates for student loans?

I do find this rather large. As a student, along with hundreds of thousands of other students all around the country, this really is a big deal. Taking a student loan out nowadays didn't offer any benefit to taking out a regular loan. There's no need to screw over students who so dearly deserve a lowered rate for their loan.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 41):
the Republican's had won and someone had started a thread today saying, 'See, the Republicans are still in control and things aren't getting any better';

That's like saying that a Democrat should be able to complain after November 2004 about the President "still being in control" and things "still" not getting better. I'm not sure that makes a whole lotta sense.

Of course, it is true that the illegal alien thing isn't getting any better, than that's a whole 'nother festering can o' worms.
What's fair is fair.

AeroWesty

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 41):
a 'fallacy it is to have unrealistic expectations that such an august and stately body, as that of the US Congress, would be able to make any significant change in the course of our country, nay our history, in so little a temporal span as 84 hours or 3.5 days'

rotfl 

I'm glad my Suggest Deletions haven't taken effect yet, or I wouldn't have been able to read this.

Superfly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 42):
I do find this rather large. As a student, along with hundreds of thousands of other students all around the country, this really is a big deal. Taking a student loan out nowadays didn't offer any benefit to taking out a regular loan. There's no need to screw over students who so dearly deserve a lowered rate for their loan.

checkmark 
Bring back the Concorde

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 42):

Granted, and I appreciate your input.

All in all, however, it's not a big issue if you're not a student, and most of us aren't.
What's fair is fair.

Klima

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:33 am

It includes, for example, such earth-shaking initiatives as... lowered rates for student loans?

If you're paying student loans, like me, this is important. I hope they deliever.

Mir

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 29):

It is in regard to Congressional hours. While I do believe that Congress should spend more time in session, 24 hours a day would be excessive.

The 100 hours will likely be up in two to three weeks. Until then, how about giving them the benefit of the doubt? Trust me that you will still have plenty of time to do your naysaying should they prove to be a disappointment.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

searpqx

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:38 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 43):
I'm not sure that makes a whole lotta sense.

spit   rotfl 
Gotta give you credit AF, considering the thread topic, it took some brass ones to make that statement with a straight face.