searpqx

Oh C'mon - Its Snowing In Seattle - Again

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:17 am

Its not enough that we had a foot in November, several inches last week and hurricane force winds in between. Old Man Winter seems to have it in for us this year.

Now before I get lambasted with tales of 'true winter', yeah yeah, I know. But this is Seattle. We get one significant snow fall every couple of years, not every month! This has truly been one of the strangest winters I remember here.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Palladium

RE: Oh C'mon - Its Snowing In Seattle - Again

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:23 am

yeah it's snowing here..... Northgate Mall area

Go3Team

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:44 am

Just so you know, I'm wearing shorts on the east coast.
Yay Pudding!

Garri767

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:03 am

Its snowing here in AMA Texas and the windchill was -2F earlier! how bad can you guys up in SEA have it?  Silly

Garri767
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

CMHSRQ

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:27 am

I believe the weather pattern is a changing. Expect winter to come to the east and it to warm in the west. Starting on Monday or so.
The voice of moderation

CastleIsland

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Searpqx (Thread starter):
Winter seems to have it in for us this year

Strange indeed. Here in BOS, we've had a nary a snowflake, it's about 50 degrees, and it's hardly been below freezing but for a couple of nights so far this winter.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

AirCop

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:33 am

Snowing in SEA and AMA, better there than here.  blush  And the UP of Michigan is suffering from a lack of snow. What a weird winter so far.

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Searpqx (Thread starter):

I'll see your foot in November and your inches last week and raise you six feet in December and another foot this weekend . . .  wink 

Record snow here for the last couple months. Everything in ANC is buried . . . main streets are clean, main sidewalks are clean, the 3 lane street in front of my Condo (76th) is two lanes, and that's being generous.

City/State crews kicking ass getting rid of it though . . . well done.

Anyway, buck up there Duane - you COULD be relaxing in Kihei about now . . .  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Banco

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Everything in ANC is buried

So not all bad news then...
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Garri767

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:53 am

Dang, i cant call you on your bet. All i have is one foot of snow to bet with this year  Wink
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

SlamClick

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:57 am

Well we had a rare occurrence of "lake effect" snow here in the desert yesterday. For forty miles or so downwind of Pyramid Lake there were steady-state snow showers most of the day. I just shoveled some two day old snow and it was still the consistency of granulated sugar but feather-light.

This morning it was 0°F (-17.8°C) at sunrise. My son had a pipe freeze and I went up to help him. Could not get my pickup started. Battery was okay, the grease on the ignition switch was frozen and I could not turn the key.

I've been burning my fire for two days now. Another day and I'll have to go get another chunk to throw on it.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

unoflygirl

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:58 am

I think everyone is getting snow, cause we're getting snow and freezing rain here in Nebraska. The temps are nearing sub-zero as well. The wind chill is like -10F.

Brrrr

Karly
"I'm not anxious to die...just anxious to matter"

TPAnx

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:00 am

Most of the strange weather seems to be due to the El Nino effect in the
eastern Pacific. Warmer water swings the jet stream in strange directions--we in Florida get more storms..like the one around Christmas that spawned
tornadoes that hit four counties..while the western US gets the snow and
wind. The jet stream keeps the really cold air away from Florida...

TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

dragon-wings

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:02 am

No snow here in New York yet.  Angry
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

searpqx

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:20 am

six feet in December and another foot this weekend . . .

Breakup is going to be FUN this year - so what are you going to do to make it through all the mud?  Wink

Anyway, buck up there Duane - you COULD be relaxing in Kihei about now . . .

:D True enough - but all this will just make me appreciate it more next month when we go spend some time in our condo! And believe it or not, other than the extended commutes a couple times, I've actually enjoyed a real winter for a change.

AirCop

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:34 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 14):
but all this will just make me appreciate it more next month when we go spend some time in our condo!

Lets look at it this way pitchers and catchers report to spring training in about a month, the first sure sign of spring.

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 14):
Breakup is going to be FUN this year - so what are you going to do to make it through all the mud?

Leave the BAFDT in 4X4 thru June  laughing  Fortunately, I ride a lot higher than those Toyota Specks and Honda Widgets on the road . . . I'll only go through about fifteen gallons of washer fluid . .  cry 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ctbarnes

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:23 am

Meanwhile in the Bay Area it is C O L D !

Temperatures in the 20's last night and tonight. After that it's in the low to mid 30's for most of next week. The citrus crop in Central California is in danger of freezing.

And we don't even have a fireplace!

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

ANCFlyer

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 17):
Meanwhile in the Bay Area it is C O L D !

Charles, Define Cold:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/csmpep/2-1-06Temp3.jpg

wink 

Plus 20s  rotfl 

ctbarnes

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
Charles, Define Cold:

Cold for this area, that is. When you are in houses that are not properly insulated or have proper heating systems for this kind of weather it can be quite difficult. Not to mention people who do not have a lot of warm clothing thinking they came to a mild climate.

Just something to ponder as you are nestled in your igloo snuggled under your polar bear skin, leaving such comfort only to slice off another hunk of seal blubber.  duck  Big grin

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

runway23

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:49 am

I was in Searhaatle on Wed/Thu and it was quite weird to see the maximum temperature at 30 and the snow. I had gone there thinking it'd be the usual 40ish temperatures.

Instead I'm now in New York where it's 55ish (I expected the mid 20s-30s here rather than in Seattle).

Very weird indeed...

ScarletHarlot

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:00 pm

I was out working at a cat adoption day in Renton this afternoon when it started to snow. We shut down early so I could get home before dark. Really though the main roads are not bad. The parking lot in Renton was bad, and the roads near my house are all iced over, making for fun driving. But I had no real problems.

You should see it out here at my house, Duane. I'll have Mr. Harlot post a picture. We always get more snow out here in Maltby, for some reason. It's beautiful.
But that was when I ruled the world

gunsontheroof

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:53 pm

I'm sick of this cold weather crap...where's the rain I've come to count on? I had to cashier at the contractor's registers for three hours next to Home Depot's huge loading door that stays open all day and I pretty much froze my ass off. I'm not too crazy about having to de-ice my car in the morning either...

Nancy

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:02 pm

It's finally winter in Rochester. We had an unuaually warm December; the tulips and crocuses started to come up. It's still warmer than average, but cold enough to snow.

searpqx

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 22):
I'm not too crazy about having to de-ice my car in the morning either...

I've had to call and get a credit card replaced after this week - I'd never bothered to get an ice scrapper (I did spend 3 years on Maui remember), and suddenly didn't have a way to get my windshields clean in the morning. Oh well, now that I've got one, I'm sure the cherry blossoms will be out by next week! Big grin

S12PPL

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:38 am

Man... You guys are getting ass raped by mother nature this year. Jeez. It's bad when we get snow down here, but you guys are getting hammered by all the wind, snow, rain...Glad we're more "mild" down here!

Good luck digging out. My girlfriend is up in the Seattle Area for a week, and she got off the train to more snow last night. Fricken nuts.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

HALFA

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:59 am

Flawless day in Hawaii today. Clear skies and 80 degrees. Our snow has almost all melted.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/wxcam/1505090/detail.html

Aloha,
HALFA
HA J Class Lie flats, coming soon to a plane near you........

thepilot

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:21 am

Yeah, I got a few inches at my house. It is beautiful, yet it is very icy. Lucky I have a 1967 VW Bug, which is pretty much made for snow!
From YVR

RIXrat

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:46 am

Hurricane-force winds and some rain are ravaging Latvia as we speak and my lights are flickering, but the metro people promise that everything will quiet down by Monday morning. The temperature, up until now, however, has stayed well above freezing. Yes, the grass is getting greener and some flower buds are coming out and the farmers are in a panic because they feel the big one will eventually hit and ruin their spring crops.

ScarletHarlot

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:47 am

It is snowing yet AGAIN! This is insanity! The roads are all still ice out where I live, so we've had fun sliding in and out of our neighbourhood for the past, what, nearly week now! I really would just like to be able to plan my day without having to consider whether I can get to where I need to go or whether I am going to get stuck!

We're really not getting that much snow, but we have very little snow removal equipment around here, so it just gets nasty.

searpqx

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:56 am

Commute in wasn't too bad this morning, but thats as much because no one was on the roads as anything. I basically slid down the hills to get off Capitol Hill, but I-5/I-90 were fine. I'm hearing mixed reports now, some saying it'll start raining this afternoon, others saying its going to stay cold and possibly freeze tonight. Either way, its going to be messy. Oh well, makes for a quite office!

ScarletHarlot

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:01 am

And I never get snow days because I work from home. This is good, because I never feel any pressure to try to drive in when I feel it is unsafe, but then, I never get a day off due to the weather either (unless the power goes out!).

AeroWesty

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:24 am

Woke up to a beautiful snowfall in Portland this morning, and it's still comin' down. Keep it comin'!  Big grin
International Homo of Mystery

Superfly

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:54 am

Send some snow down this way!
It's been cold enough for it here in San Francisco.
It dipped down to 21 degrees a few nights ago. The highs have been in the low to mid 40s throuh out the past few weeks.

A good snowfall of about 10" is what this city needs to bring things to a stand still. That way I wouldn't be expected to show up for work and I could sleep in.
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):
A good snowfall of about 10"

wideeyed  10" and the city would do more than come to a standstill! Any major metropolitan area that isn't used to snow, and then gets more than a couple inches, is going to come to a grinding halt. Heck, even though it happens at least once a year, Seattle still freaks over 2 inches. The few people that came in today are already heading out, and its only 12N! Oh, and its snowing still. . .

Superfly

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 34):
10" and the city would do more than come to a standstill!

Very true and that's not always a bad thing either as long as no one gets hurt. It just means lots of unusual breathtaking photo opportunities around the city and the Bay Area. It would be nice to see Golden Gate Park, Twin Peaks, Marin Headlands, Duboce Park, Dolores Park and the Presidio blanketed with snow.
It's happended before back in the 1930s I believe.
The few times it has snowed here in San Francisco, it was about an inch or less and lasted for about an hour.
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
It would be nice to see Golden Gate Park, Twin Peaks, Marin Headlands, Duboce Park, Dolores Park and the Presidio blanketed with snow.

You're right about that - those would be stunning vistas. Can you imagine the GG Bridge blanketed with about six inches of fresh undisturbed snow, the color contrasts and geometry would be incredible.

Superfly

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 36):
You're right about that - those would be stunning vistas. Can you imagine the GG Bridge blanketed with about six inches of fresh undisturbed snow, the color contrasts and geometry would be incredible.

Yes indeed.
I am sure there are many that saw that in the late 1960s if they had a good acid trip.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

ScarletHarlot

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:29 am

The snow truly is beautiful - especially out in the boonies where I live.

This is our backyard.

Big version: Width: 1536 Height: 1024 File size: 614kb
Our backyard - snowstorm January 11, 2007

We went out to look for Comet McNaught and Mr. Harlot took a picture from the hill near our place.

Big version: Width: 1536 Height: 1024 File size: 49kb
Sunset after snowstorm

One of our local critters coming by for a meal.

Big version: Width: 1229 Height: 819 File size: 136kb
Local forest resident after snowstorm