SmithAir747
Topic Author

Has Anyone Ever Had His Ears "Spocked"?

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:31 am

I am a Star Trek fan, but even so, I have seen some really far-out behaviour from other Trekkies--dressing up "in character" at Star Trek conventions (I've actually seen this at two London conventions), or in the case of one guy, even remodelling his house interior into a starship.

However, I have been wondering: Has anyone, especially a Spock fan, ever gone as far as being "Spocked"--having his ears surgically altered to look like Mr. Spock's pointed ears? I can't imagine any self-respecting, professional plastic surgeon actually "Spocking" someone! (Would it even be possible surgically?) How would a "Spocked" Trekkie look to his peers--would he "hear" no end of ridicule from everyone else? I wonder if there are any actual cases of this in the medical literature--or anywhere else?

SmithAir747

[Edited 2007-01-14 21:32:12]
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

zanl188

RE: Has Anyone Ever Had His Ears "Spocked"?

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:19 am

I had an unfortunate accident with a rice picking machine... does that count?
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

VHOJC

Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:29 am

see this
Is this what you are looking for?
Just as a word of caution that website is quite graphic and also requires a subscription

Chris

[Edited 2007-01-14 22:34:30]
When there is nothing left to burn...set yourself on fire!!!

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting VHOJC (Reply 2):
see this
Is this what you are looking for?

Was this reported in any medical journals (particularly plastic surgery)?

With my medical background, I was wondering what type of plastic procedure was done to point this guy's ears. It looks to me, in order to get the pointy effect, the surgeon had to put a rib graft into the upper part of the ear and remodel the soft tissue up there around it. It looks crude, but then it's a photo taken immediately post-operatively (just after the sutures were put in), and those black lines are surgical marker pen marks that plastic surgeons use to mark the surgical site.

I wonder if these ears will come out looking anything like Spock's ears? It's VERY difficult to sculpt ears to look like the intended result--from my own experiences having ears built from scratch!

SmithAir747

ArmitageShanks

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:09 pm

Even though I think its stupid is it any different than having lots of tattoos, piercings, breast implants or those under the skin implants?

Halcyon

Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:37 pm

Well, I've had my nose Spocked...but so has my mom, so it must run in the family.  Big grin

Lucas

9V

Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 pm

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:18 am

What inspired me to do this thread?

Well, a couple of years ago, I found the old book, The Making of Star Trek (a reprint from the 1960s) for £6 at a book sale in Covent Garden in London.

I was reading about Spock's ears (the origin thereof), and Leonard Nimoy's fellow actors on the Original Series cast were trying to find a way to make those pointed ears for him. What broke the ice, and made Leonard Nimoy laugh (when he realised the humour behind this) was that the other actors (with a straight face) offered to pay a plastic surgeon to "point" Nimoy's ears for him!

Also, I just read a blog entry saying that Spock ears are now becoming the new plastic surgery craze! A Chinese man "got fed up with his ears" and decided to have a surgery to make them "alien". Supposedly this surgery (done in Nanjing, China) is the first of its kind.

Another thing--I have just read of a rare ear deformity--called Stahl's Ear Deformity, (also called Satyr, Vulcan, or Spock Ear) in which the upper part of the ear is abnormally "pointed"; medical professionals liken this to Spock/Vulcan ears. There is a surgery to "un-Spock" these ears!

SmithAir747

[Edited 2007-01-19 01:26:57]

[Edited 2007-01-19 01:28:26]

redngold

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:30 am

Wasn't this scenario on ER one time? A guy came in with his ears all cut up, one of many patients that night coming from a Sci-Fi convention...
Up, up and away!