RobK
Topic Author

Question For The Webmaster/developers Re Wikipedia

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Greetings all,

I've got a bit of a dilemma and don't know what the best course of action is to resolve it.

As some of you know, I run the site seattle-deliveries.com which is pretty much just a hobby tracking the new build Boeing aircraft test flights and final delivery info and the site's been going for about 6 months now.

I've never really been interested in the website stats or how many visitors it attracts etc but my attention was recently drawn to this by my brother whose friend had commented that for a "basic" site the visitor stats were very impressive and was also shocked to find that there's a link to it from Wikipedia which is (apparently) something to shout about.  confused 

During the conversation he'd made some comments to my brother to pass on to me that a) whatever I do, don't EVER change or remove the URL that Wikipedia is linking to you from as links from Wikipedia are excellent for improving your site's www ranking, b) get rid of the Flash button links as google doesn't like these, ie. change them to gifs or jpgs, and c) my 'Latest' page (now called Blog) is seriously hampering my site as you can't link to specific articles within the page and also the page itself is too big and takes too long to load (I never even gave it a second thought as I'm on a 10 meg line here!).

Helpful and useful info indeed and I'm in the process of changing the Flash buttons for gifs (done home page already) and should have a Blog up and running later today to replace the 'Latest' page, but my problem is that the Wikipedia link (which is on a page about Hong Kong Express Airways and links to a pic of the first Hong Kong Express 737-800) links to my 'Latest' page which I plan to remove once my Blog is up and running.

How can I get round this? Can I risk removing the page and creating a blog entry for the Hong Kong Express and then forward the new link to Wikipedia to change (will they do that?) or should I leave the 'Latest' page in place and do a re-direct to the Blog entry, or what?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Rob

IFEMaster

RE: Question For The Webmaster/developers Re Wikipedia

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:52 pm

The good news is that Wikipedia is a wiki...meaning it can be edited by anyone (or anyone with a username). Just go to wikipedia, create an account, and change the links yourself. Presto!
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

RobK
Topic Author

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:17 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
The good news is that Wikipedia is a wiki...meaning it can be edited by anyone (or anyone with a username). Just go to wikipedia, create an account, and change the links yourself. Presto!

Aha! Afraid that it's not that simple. I've already tried that but when one clicks on the 'edit' tag for references all one is faced with is

== References ==

< references/ >

and that's it!

confused 

R

kaddyuk

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting RobK (Reply 2):

read the FAQ on editing a wiki and you'll figure it out...

You need to edit the "Fleet" heading... not "References"...

[Edited 2007-01-16 06:58:11]
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

hawaiian717

RE: Question For The Webmaster/developers Re Wikip

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Rob, that means the link is provided in a citation earlier in the article. Look for the number at the beginning of the link, and then look in the article text for that superscripted number in square brackets. For example, if the number next to your link is 3., you'd look for a [3]. Then when you go to edit that page, you should find the link inside "ref" tags.

If you're still having trouble, post the link to the article in question and those of us who have more wiki experience can help.

RobK
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:25 am

KaddyUK and Hawaiian717, thanks!  bigthumbsup 

Defo a case of RTFM, oops! I now see how to change it!

Cheers,

R