jimyvr

Adultery = Life In Prison In Michigan

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:19 am

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070115/COL04/701150333

Adultery could mean life, court finds

January 15, 2007
BY BRIAN DICKERSON
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

In a ruling sure to make philandering spouses squirm, Michigan's second-highest court says that anyone involved in an extramarital fling can be prosecuted for first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a felony punishable by up to life in prison.

"We cannot help but question whether the Legislature actually intended the result we reach here today," Judge William Murphy wrote in November for a unanimous Court of Appeals panel, "but we are curtailed by the language of the statute from reaching any other conclusion."
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

IFEMaster

RE: Adultery = Life In Prison In Michigan

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:26 am

Shouldn't worry. It won't affect the large majority of a.net.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:14 am

That's just a messed up law. Comparing adultery to CSC1....ridiculous.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

AirCop

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:49 am

Appears just another case where the state legislature passed a bill (probably written by someone on a cause) without reading or understanding it. It shocking the number of time legislators will vote on a bill without reading it, instead their vote is based on a quick summary or that someone asked them to vote one or another.

futureualpilot

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:57 am

So if two consenting adults choose to have sex, they can be put away for life simply because one or both are married? Well f*ck me, and here we were thinking allowing homosexual marriages would "destroy the sanctity of marriage." This is just dumb.  Yeah sure
Life is better when you surf.

jamotcx

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:39 am

Hmm interesting law. And to be honest with you I feel a good law. I've known few people where the other half has cheated. As far as I'm concerned the cheater deserves to be punished. At least end the marriage or relationship before having sex with someone else.

Jamo

LHMark

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:46 am

Wow how ironic is it that this whole thing was triggered by Attorney General Mike Cox?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

fumanchewd

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:48 am

Looks like no one from Michigan will be visiting the Jerry Springer Show for awhile.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

TedTAce

Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:51 am

I'm surprised there was no 'Signed by: TedTAce'
This space intentionally left blank

DrDeke

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 6):
Wow how ironic is it that this whole thing was triggered by Attorney General Mike Cox?

In addition to the name, it's ironic that Mike Cox himself admitted to having committed adultery back in November of 2005: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=/20070115/COL04/701150333&&&imw=Y

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

CF188A

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 am

sorry can someone tell me how that law differs from somalias if you dont pray 5 times a day you will be beheaded? Adultery will always happen now the Government is playing God? How cute
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

AA787823

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:26 pm

There we go, overly conservative and prude America at its best!
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

oly720man

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Ah, life in prison.... in some places people would be delighted with life in prison for adultery.

http://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/strange/sexlaws3.htm
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

MDorBust

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting CF188A (Reply 10):
sorry can someone tell me how that law differs from somalias if you dont pray 5 times a day you will be beheaded?

Just guessing, but is no beheading the difference?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

AirframeAS

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 am

Isn't adultry committed on a daily basis?! Stupid law if you ask me.

filler filler
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:31 am

While we're on the topic of adultery. Minnesota has kind of a screwy law:

609.36 ADULTERY.
Subdivision 1. Acts constituting. When a married woman has sexual intercourse with a man
other than her husband, whether married or not, both are guilty of adultery and may be sentenced to
imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both.
Subd. 2. Limitations. No prosecution shall be commenced under this section except on
complaint of the husband or the wife, except when such husband or wife is insane, nor after
one year from the commission of the offense.
Subd. 3. Defense. It is a defense to violation of this section if the marital status of the woman
was not known to the defendant at the time of the act of adultery.

So basically, a married woman can only have sex with her husband. A married man though, can have sex with any woman, as long as she is not married  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

CF188A

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:27 am

the world of Bible thumpers..... great! I am sure God gave them the power to make all these wonderful laws which will govern my life. Screw them Smile God I love Canada.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

CastleIsland

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:54 am

Here's a good quote:

'Cox's spokesman, Rusty Hills, bristled at the suggestion that Cox or anyone else in his circumstances could face prosecution.

"To even ask about this borders on the nutty," Hills told me in a phone interview Saturday. "Nobody connects the attorney general with this -- N-O-B-O-D-Y -- and anybody who thinks otherwise is hallucinogenic."'

I didn't realize that some people are actually drugs capable of producing hallucinations.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

searpqx

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:27 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 17):
I didn't realize that some people are actually drugs capable of producing hallucinations.

I don't know which is worse, that you're enough of a geek to catch that misuse of the word, or that I'm geeky enough to think it was funny? Big grin

Before people get too wound up about the US and its puritanical sexual mores, as AirCop pointed out, this is probably more of a case of unintended consequences than it is to legislate adultery. Lets be honest now, adultery is all but accepted in the world of politics these days. Long gone are the days of Gary Hart and the Monkey Business.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

CastleIsland

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 15):
While we're on the topic of adultery. Minnesota has kind of a screwy law:

Now you're just being redundant.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
I don't know which is worse, that you're enough of a geek to catch that misuse of the word, or that I'm geeky enough to think it was funny?

They're both equally pathetic, no?  Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 19):
Now you're just being redundant.

Department of Redundancy Department? How am I being redundant?

CastleIsland

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 20):
How am I being redundant?

A "screwy" law regarding adultery. It's always funnier when I have to explain it.  Wink

bushpilot

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:51 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 15):
So basically, a married woman can only have sex with her husband. A married man though, can have sex with any woman, as long as she is not married

A case of institutionalized sexism there. Sad this happens still. I cant believe that one hasnt been changed around.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
this is probably more of a case of unintended consequences than it is to legislate adultery.

This is more or less correct. Laws are written, and voted on, and often times not read thoroughly by those voting on it. A word here, a comma there and the meaning is skewed. I have the feeling this will be re-written ASAP.

WellHung

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 am

Let's say husband and wife decide to have some fun with a third party and videotape it for posterity. If the couple have a falling out, can each use the tape to send the other to prison for life?

Molykote

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm not advocating life in prison for this offense, but....
...following the link below I could certainly see some form of compensation being owed toward a betrayed spouse by both the cheating spouse and/or his/her other "partner".

Although the context (employment) of the link below is certainly different than that of marraige, this link does detail specific "emotional distress" criteria and the compensation that has been received for each. I'd have to imagine that an adultery victim could make a legitimate claim (by "emotional distress" standards) for many of these items.

http://www.theemploymentlawyers.com/...Emotional%20distress%20damages.htm

Is anyone aware of any cases where "emotional distress" was invoked in a case of adultery? Has the concept of a "verbal contract" ever been played out with marraige vowels?, etc?

I have some ideas on the whys and why nots of this scenario. However, I am not a lawyer and would be interested in any input from those more educated in this regard than myself.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

saintsman

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Whilst not always the case, adultery is usually a result of the other partner not meeting the former's needs. If you can't get it at home you will look elsewhere. Both partners can be just as guilty.

FlyboyOz

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Well I think that MI is the largest chrisitian community. I know lots of christian friends who live in MI.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

RichardPrice

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Jamotcx (Reply 5):
nd to be honest with you I feel a good law. I've known few people where the other half has cheated. As far as I'm concerned the cheater deserves to be punished.

Sure the cheater needs to be punished, but not by the criminal legal system - if the hurt spouse feels she is due some sort of justice, then she can persue the case through the civil courts! This is an insane law.

itsjustme

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
Shouldn't worry. It won't affect the large majority of a.net.

True. Not that many of us live in Michigan.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 21):
A "screwy" law regarding adultery. It's always funnier when I have to explain it.

Doh!

N1120A

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:00 pm

I think the Michigan Supreme Court needs to throw this sucker out.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss