NAV20
Topic Author

Only In Australia - Fire, Floods, Gales In One Day

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:06 pm

Thought this might be of some interest - it's been an unusual day even by Australian standards, the authorities really don't know which 'dire warning' to issue next:-

"Homes in bushfire ravaged western Victoria have been flooded and residents elsewhere are bracing for more of the same as a massive rain band switches the threat from fire to floods.

"About 20 homes in Kaniva and Stawell were flooded as the state's west struggled to cope with rainfall nudging 100mm in some areas from the rainband moving across the scorched, tinder-dry state.

"The State Emergency Service (SES) is on high alert as the rain band moves across Victoria, unleashing expected dumpings of up to 50mm.

"But it is unlikely to be enough to douse the bushfires raging in the state's south-east.

Meanwhile, humidity and wind warnings pose new threats as Victorians endure a cocktail of weather extremes."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...avoc/2007/01/20/1169096017355.html
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

VHVXB

RE: Only In Australia - Fire, Floods, Gales In One Day

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Thread starter):
"The State Emergency Service (SES) is on high alert as the rain band moves across Victoria, unleashing expected dumpings of up to 50mm.

rain rain rain. Why doesn't it ever happen over the catchment areas?

Banco

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:29 pm

When I was last down there, I was reading in one of the papers an interesting article speculating (and little more than that) that the current lack of rainfall might be more of the historical norm for Australia and the last couple of hundred years has been something of an exception.

Part of the rationale for that was that the aboriginal people had been there for thousands of years, but never became farmers indicating (so it goes) that farming hasn't been that viable over the long term.

I'd be interested to hear from Australians what they think of that theory.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

NAV20
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 2):
an interesting article speculating (and little more than that) that the current lack of rainfall might be more of the historical norm for Australia and the last couple of hundred years has been something of an exception.

Plenty of theories/speculations, Banco, any one of which might be correct.

Purely a personal impression, and less than 48 hours old - but the humidity is high and the ground is 'staying wet.' If this sort of weather keeps up for another week or so I think we might be able to start hoping that the drought has broken. The last really long drought (in the '80s) broke the same way, suddenly and unexpectedly, and confounding all the experts.

Just hoping I'm right at the moment.
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

melpax

Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:41 pm

I hope you're right. The last couple of days have been very humid here.

Bushfires one day & floods the next, only in Australia............
Essendon - Whatever it takes......