9V
Topic Author

Uk Drivers To Get Points For Mobile Use

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Motorists caught using their mobile phones while driving will have three points put on their licence.

The new law will come into force on February 27.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1248351,00.html

miamiair

RE: Uk Drivers To Get Points For Mobile Use

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:47 pm

Does it count if you are using a "hands free" device?

They need to do that here in Miami. You can sit at an intersection and at least one person will blow thru the red light with a cel phone up to their ear.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

PlymSpotter

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:20 am

Good, it's just as dangerous as being drunk or incapacitated at the wheel.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

kaddyuk

Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 1):
Does it count if you are using a "hands free" device?

Nope. But technically you're not allowed to even touch the phone so its a blurry area at the moment because how else are you going to pickup or dial out...?
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

andz

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 3):
But technically you're not allowed to even touch the phone so its a blurry area at the moment because how else are you going to pickup or dial out...?

If you have a proper hands free you never need to touch the phone. What pisses me off is seeing motorists with a "hands free" in their ear, plugged into the phone, and driving with the phone held in one hand! Imbeciles.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Banco

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting 9V (Thread starter):
Uk Drivers To Get Points For Mobile Use

Maybe so, but you get more for clobbering a pedestrian...  devil   box 
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

IFEMaster

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:27 am

how else are you going to pickup or dial out...?

Bluetooth.

Voice dial, auto answer, and with many new cars, you don't even have a headset, as it bluetooths with the car's audio system.

This is a good idea.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

LTU932

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:31 am

That's a law that makes sense! Here in Costa Rica for example, there are too many idiots driving while using their cell phone and those tend to make sometimes even more accidents than drunk drivers.

If you need to use your cell phone in your car, just pull over! It's so easy. I don't know why people just don't bother.

carmenlu15

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 am

In my neck of the woods, getting caught driving while using your cellphone will get you a hefty fine. Still, some people just don't learn... I had a coworker who would always start yapping on her phone while on the road. "Blah blah blah -- could you hold on a moment please? There's a cop ahead" -- then she would put her phone down, drive past the officer, and pick it up again -- "So, where were we? Blah blah blah..."  Yeah sure
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

melpax

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:46 pm

You lose 3 points here as well, and you are also fined. You can lose a maximum of 12 points over a 3 year period, any more and your licence is suspened, I'm sure it's for 6 months.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

BCAL

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:13 pm

Well I have to say it, finally the first common-sense law to come out from Tony B Liar's government!

There have been several times when a car has sped around a corner whilst I was crossing the road and narrowly missed me. On every occasion the driver was using a hand-held mobile and neither had his full attention on the road or both hands on the steering wheel. If he had been travelling faster, or perhaps on a straight road, chances are that I would not be here.

So I say slink the book at any driver using a hand-held mobile whilst driving. Better still, give them 6 points for each and every occasion. If the phone is so urgent, why can they not pull over at the first opportunity and then answer?

devil 
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

aussie18
Crew

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Melpax (Reply 9):
You lose 3 points here as well, and you are also fined. You can lose a maximum of 12 points over a 3 year period, any more and your licence is suspened, I'm sure it's for 6 months.

Full Liscense get 12points for 3 years and start accumulating with new rule of being safe driver increase of couple points after 3years.

Suspension for Liscense.
12 to 15 points: three months.
16 to 19 points: four months.
20 or more points: five months.

Mobile phone offence is
$231 and 3 points in NSW.

gkirk

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:24 pm

But technically you're not allowed to even touch the phone so its a blurry area at the moment because how else are you going to pickup or dial out...?

Stop the car in a safe place
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

melpax

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:10 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):

Exactly. Better still, let it ring to voicemail & then pull over & check it. If a message isn't left, it's normally not important!!

aussie18
Crew

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):

Most people are in a hurry and impatient when driving so pulling over would delay them so they would rather take risk.

Beaucaire

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:16 pm

In France you have 12 points total credit -
use of mobile 3 points-
speeding less than 20 Km over limit :2points (that works already with 1 Km over limit !!!!!)
more than 20 Km over limit : 4 points
crossing the white line : 2points
no seat belt : 4 points
You have to drive three years without any incident to recover the points (which is literally impossible..)
For me,just a way to make money for the state...

you can recover four points by attending a week-end seminar that costs 300 $.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

melpax

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:39 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 15):
you can recover four points by attending a week-end seminar that costs 300 $

I'm suprised they haven't introduced this revenue-raising idea here!

aussie18
Crew

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:45 pm

use of mobile 3 points-
speeding less than 20 Km over limit :2points (that works already with 1 Km over limit !!!!!)
no seat belt : 4 points
You have to drive three years without any incident to recover the points (which is literally impossible..)
For me,just a way to make money for the state...

you can recover four points by attending a week-end seminar that costs 300 $.

Australia's very similar
NSW most cops wont book you until your doing 10% over the signposted speedlimit and usually wont waste time with drivers until their doing about 20km over speedlimit so their is abit of leanancy is always good or if your regular offender they will not be so leaniant.

15km over 3points $77
15-30km over 3points $231
30km over 4points $590.

Double Demerit periods is worst time to be caught committing driving offense,almost lose lisc with 1 or 2 offenses.

melpax

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 17):
Australia's very similar
NSW most cops wont book you until your doing 10% over the signposted speedlimit and usually wont waste time with drivers until their doing about 20km over speedlimit so their is abit of leanancy is always good or if your regular offender they will not be so leaniant.

You Sydney people are bloody lucky!

Here in Melbourne, the cops have been ordered to follow a 3km per hour tolerance - if you're caught doing 105km/h in a 100 zone, you'll be booked for doing 102km/h. With fixed speed cameras on nearly all freeways, cruise control is your friend!

777236ER

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:32 pm

So it's universally accepted that this is a good idea.

But why such anger towards speed cameras?
Your bone's got a little machine

BMIFlyer

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:34 pm

About time.

So many accidents caused by people driving using a handheld, idiots.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

melpax

Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:43 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 19):

Because the state government's here use them as a revenue-rasing source. Permament cameras are rarely placed on dangerous roads, they're usually situated on busy freeways that have thousands of cars using them daily. The state government in my state, Victoria, even includes estimated revenue from speed cameras in it's annual budget.

andz

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:07 pm

That is crazy, crossing a solid white line should be a lock up offence.

Quoting Melpax (Reply 21):

Because the state government's here use them as a revenue-rasing source. Permament cameras are rarely placed on dangerous roads, they're usually situated on busy freeways that have thousands of cars using them daily. The state government in my state, Victoria, even includes estimated revenue from speed cameras in it's annual budget.

Same here, but unlike the UK there is no law that the cameras have to be visible. Look at some of the tricks that Pretoria speed cops use to trap motorists:

I remember in one Top Gear there was a guest who JC introduced as "the minister of speed cameras" which got him a round of jeers from the audience. He said "hang on, we paint the cameras bright yellow and tell you where they are, you still get caught.. who's fault is that?"

RobertNL070

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:08 pm

Handsfree. Handsheld. Bluetooth. It's all the same to me. Unnecessary and dangerous distractions while driving. While I am behind the wheel, my telephone is off. Distractions. Things hanging from the rear-view mirror: absent in my car. Satnav: absent in my car, “be prepared” is my motto when driving – no, I’ve never been a boy scout. Loud music: not permissable in my car.

You shouldn't drive for much longer than two hours without taking a short break. Check your voice-mail then. I cannot imagine how people can take part in conversations, make good and/or difficult decisions and concentrate 100% on the matter at hand ... driving on our increasingly busier roads.

Just recently someone crashed into the rear-end of an already crash-damaged car on a motorway in broad daylight and fair weather conditions. What withheld him from noticing the obstacle on time and taking precautionary action? I don't know. Unfortunately it wasn't mentioned.

Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:28 pm

Eur 120 fine here. No points on licence. There isn't a points system here.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 8):
I had a coworker who would always start yapping on her phone while on the road. "Blah blah blah -- could you hold on a moment please? There's a cop ahead" -- then she would put her phone down, drive past the officer, and pick it up again -- "So, where were we? Blah blah blah..."

Haha, I've done that when I was driving in Norway.

Because their only purpose is to issue tickets. A cop in a patrol car can issue tickets, but will also be able to find other and more serious issues (warrants etc) or use his/her own discretion to issue a warning rather than a ticket. Often times, you will stop somebody with expired tags or for speeding in a junker car, when they are only trying to get to work. Issuing them a ticket will just make life even harder for that person and take food off their table, and in the case of expired tags...well, they for sure won't be able to afford new tags if they get a ticket for it.

Not to mention, a cop on patrol will also cover a larger area and is able to respond to calls for service. A speed cam just sits in one spot, making it useless to people who know where it is.

Now of course, people talk themselves into a ticket all the time, and then it is deserved.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

DL787932ER

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 17):

15km over 3points $77
15-30km over 3points $231
30km over 4points $590.

Quoting Melpax (Reply 18):

Here in Melbourne, the cops have been ordered to follow a 3km per hour tolerance

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):
unlike the UK there is no law that the cameras have to be visible.

wideeyed  Gas prices aside, I don't think I could afford to drive in France, Oz, or SA just based on fines and insurance alone. Are the limits set more reasonably in those countries than they are in the U.S.? Are those cameras operated by normal police radar that you can pick up with a radar detector or do they use something else?

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 25):
use his/her own discretion to issue a warning rather than a ticket

Heh...I've figured out that trick. Warnings for moving violations are issued when the officer can't actually prove you did anything wrong - for example, you pass an officer going the other way and you "looked" like you were speeding but he didn't have his radar gun on. If he pulls you over and you don't admit to speeding (which he could use to write you a ticket), you'll get a "warning" so the officer looks like he cut you a break. Equipment violations might be a different story as I think they're used more to check someone out than to actually penalize a broken taillight or whatever.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 26):
Heh...I've figured out that trick. Warnings for moving violations are issued when the officer can't actually prove you did anything wrong - for example, you pass an officer going the other way and you "looked" like you were speeding but he didn't have his radar gun on. If he pulls you over and you don't admit to speeding (which he could use to write you a ticket), you'll get a "warning" so the officer looks like he cut you a break. Equipment violations might be a different story as I think they're used more to check someone out than to actually penalize a broken taillight or whatever.

rotfl 

You just keep living that thought. Do you know how many tickets we could write if we were to write every speeder? From standby to on, the radar is immediate. Even if you have a radar detector, by the time it goes off, you're SOL.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

DL787932ER

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 27):
You just keep living that thought. Do you know how many tickets we could write if we were to write every speeder?

I believe it because it's what I observe to be true. Your mileage may vary. I know it's not possible to catch everyone who's speeding, but once someone has been pulled over avoiding a ticket is almost impossible without "knowing someone" - which I don't fault anyone for in the least; it's a job perk.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 27):
From standby to on, the radar is immediate. Even if you have a radar detector, by the time it goes off, you're SOL.

rotfl  back atcha  Wink I'll believe what I want about traffic enforcement and you believe what you want about microwave transceivers (laser is a different story, and tougher but not impossible to avoid).
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 28):
I believe it because it's what I observe to be true. Your mileage may vary. I know it's not possible to catch everyone who's speeding, but once someone has been pulled over avoiding a ticket is almost impossible without "knowing someone" - which I don't fault anyone for in the least; it's a job perk.

Maybe a little bit of politeness on your part would get you out of more tickets.

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 28):
back atcha I'll believe what I want about traffic enforcement and you believe what you want about microwave transceivers (laser is a different story, and tougher but not impossible to avoid).

Hmm, strange. I hit the button, I see your speed...next please!

vc10

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:20 am

Here in the UK so I understand the tolerance is exceeding the speed limit by 10% + 3 MPH, which I believe the police forces have accepted as the national tolerance limit. However just got done for doing 36 MPH in a 30 limit so perhaps I am wrong. Cannot wait to pay my £60 fine and get 3 points on the licence  Sad so I am going to get a camera detector

littlevc10

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:24 am

Quoting VC10 (Reply 30):
so I am going to get a camera detector

How about just slowing down?  Smile

IFEMaster

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 23):
Handsfree.

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 23):
Bluetooth. It's all the same to me. Unnecessary and dangerous distractions while driving.

Tell me how talking on a telephone hands free is any different to talking to someone sat in the passenger seat, or listening to talk radio.

Or do you drive in strict silence?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

DL787932ER

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 29):
Maybe a little bit of politeness on your part would get you out of more tickets.

Not in my experience.

Here's the typical scenario: I get pulled over. I roll my window down all the way. Turn the car off, put the keys on the dash in plain view, turn on the interior light if it's dark out, and sit with both hands open on top of the steering wheel. Officer comes to the window:

Me: Good (morning/afternoon/evening), officer. What can I do for you?
Officer: I clocked you going xx in a yy. Any reason you were going that fast? (or some variation to get me to admit I was going a certain speed)
Me: I didn't believe I was going that speed, officer.
Officer: Well, you were, because I clocked you, so don't argue with me [please note that I didn't argue]. Can I see your license?
Me: Sure, may I unfasten my seatbelt to get it out of my wallet?
Officer: Ok.

I hand over my license and he goes back to his car. Five or ten minutes later (I don't know what takes so long, although one time I watched the officer smoke a whole cigarette in his cruiser before coming back) he comes back and hands me the ticket to sign. Sometimes I get the optional lecture, and sometimes it's just a straightforward explanation of the ticket, where to go to court, etc. but in any case the ticket's already written and I don't have much opportunity to do anything but nod my head until he lets me go. Not sure how much more polite I could be in the 30 seconds he talks to me before he goes back to write the ticket. I'm still polite if I get pulled over, but I've long since stopped believing it's going to keep me from getting a ticket.

Can't tell you much more about your specific radar use without knowing the make, model, frequency, and mode you use, although I can tell you that for various reasons I have a much better record avoiding tickets by properly using my radar detector than I do being polite to the officer after getting pulled over  Wink
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:13 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 33):
Me: I didn't believe I was going that speed, officer.

Error number 1. Tell this to the judge, not the cop on the side of the road.

[please note that I didn't argue].

See above.

I don't know what takes so long,

Depending on how busy dispatch is, it can take a while to get a readback on the DL and plate.

I can tell you that for various reasons I have a much better record avoiding tickets by properly using my radar detector

If you're the only car on the road, it won't do you much good. If it goes off as other cars are being clocked, then I can agree with you.

DL787932ER

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 34):
Error number 1. Tell this to the judge, not the cop on the side of the road.

If this isn't what you as a police officer would want to hear, could you offer a suggestion that you would prefer? The officer always seems to ask some variant of that "have you stopped beating your wife" question, and I don't know the best way to answer it. Sitting in silence doesn't seem like an option. Whether or not I thought I was speeding, if I say something that implies that I admit to going that fast I'm doubly hosed because not only have I guaranteed a ticket for the full speed based on my own confession, I've lost my chances in court because regardless of any other factors the officer can just get on the stand and truthfully say that I admitted to going the exact speed he clocked me at.

I never argue, or tell the officer I think he or his radar gun is wrong. I try to indicate as politely as possible without any argument that I choose not to confess and leave it at that. Without incriminating myself (us mere civilians do have that right in the U.S., y'know) what would be a better, more polite response?
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

ryangooner

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 10):
If the phone is so urgent, why can they not pull over at the first opportunity and then answer?

Few points of Law for my fellow Brits that you may not have known (English and Welsh)...

1. Get caught using hand held mobile device whilst driving and deny it your mobile could be seized as evidence.

2. Pull over at the side of the road to answer mobile and leave your engine running but stationary still 3 points and £60.00

3. Pull over to the side of the road, switch your engine OFF and answer your mobile AND if you havent completed your entire journey still 3 points and £60.00 (point 3 very technical, im yet to see this one enforced however i am no longer in uniform and would love a tester!!! joke).

who knows i may even save someone 3 points and £60.00 with this info - AND may even save a life too....

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 35):
Whether or not I thought I was speeding, if I say something that implies that I admit to going that fast I'm doubly hosed because not only have I guaranteed a ticket for the full speed based on my own confession

Most of the time, if you fess up to your error (within reason of course), you'll get off with a verbal warning. Hell, we had one guy going 46 in a 30...let him go because he said he was about to shit himself from diarrhea Big grin

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 35):
Without incriminating myself (us mere civilians do have that right in the U.S., y'know) what would be a better, more polite response?

You could not say anything at all. If you wanna say anything at all, just accept the ticket and take it to court if you feel you were wronged.

aussie18
Crew

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Melpax (Reply 21):

Most of the ones in NSW have been put in because of Major accidents/fatalities ,Slowing traffic down on sharp corners,hills etc and busy roads to slow people down.

DL787932ER

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 37):

Most of the time, if you fess up to your error (within reason of course), you'll get off with a verbal warning.

Eh, I tried that once (the time the officer took a smoke break before giving me the ticket). I thought I had a reasonably good (and provably true) excuse, and the state I was driving through didn't report back to my home state so I knew I wasn't going to come back to fight it in court. Not only did I get the ticket for the full amount, but I got the full extended-mix lecture and at one point had to get out of the car to talk to him - between all that and the cig, I was there 20-30 minutes. At least declining to confess gets me back on my way quicker  Wink

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 37):
You could not say anything at all.

But that was my original question - that's exactly what I want to do, but I'm always asked a question that presumes I was speeding. I understand the reasoning, because getting a confession makes the ticket almost impossible to fight in court, but it also means there's no way to answer without seeming to contradict the officer, even if I really did not think I was speeding. I don't think sitting mute and pretending I didn't hear the question is an answer. Should I just say "I'd rather not say anything" or "I can't answer that question"? Is that more amenable than "I don't believe I was going that speed"?
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

777236ER

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Regarding speed cameras in the UK; they're painted flourescent, reflective yellow, and the police tell you where they are. So if you get caught, whose fault is it?

andz

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 40):
Regarding speed cameras in the UK; they're painted flourescent, reflective yellow, and the police tell you where they are. So if you get caught, whose fault is it?

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):
I remember in one Top Gear there was a guest who JC introduced as "the minister of speed cameras" which got him a round of jeers from the audience. He said "hang on, we paint the cameras bright yellow and tell you where they are, you still get caught.. who's fault is that?"

777236ER

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 41):

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):

Lol, well there you go!

melpax

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting Aussie18 (Reply 38):
Most of the ones in NSW have been put in because of Major accidents/fatalities ,Slowing traffic down on sharp corners,hills etc and busy roads to slow people down.

I've noticed that with NSW. Notable examples are just outside of Tarcutta on the Hume Highway along a dangerous strech of single lane road, and The Spit. At least you guys have large signs warning that they are ahead, so you can't complain if you're booked! I've also noticed the same thing with mobile speed cameras in Canberra, big police van on the side of the road with very prominent 'speed camera' signage. Can't miss seeing those as well. Down here, they're likely to be hidden above overhead freeway signs with no signage warning of their prescence. The mobile cameras are also well disguised, they use unmarked cars, including SUV's and utes.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 39):
Not only did I get the ticket for the full amount, but I got the full extended-mix lecture and at one point had to get out of the car to talk to him - between all that and the cig, I was there 20-30 minutes

IF this is accurate, sounds like the cop needs to spend his time better. We are taught to either give a verbal warning and "lecture" or a ticket. Not both ticket and lecture.

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 39):
Should I just say "I'd rather not say anything" or "I can't answer that question"? Is that more amenable than "I don't believe I was going that speed"?

I still believe fessing up is the best way out as most cops are willing to cut you a break (unless your record is longer than GKirk's ban list), but you need to do what you feel will benefit you the most.

Banco

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 41):
Quoting 777236ER (Reply 40):

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):

Since I've got a clean licence I have some sympathy with that view. My greatest objection to the speed camera concept is the way it is structured; that the police forces keep the revenue, thus skewing their priorities from keeping the roads safe to siting them where they can generate the most money (i.e. how often do you see them outside schools where they damn well should be), that many police forces seem to view speed cameras as a replacement for proper traffic policing, thus catching the person doing 45 in a 40, but never catching the maniac doing 150mph where he knows there aren't any cameras because there are no coppers on the roads any more and so on.

The reason people think speed cameras are there to generate revenue, not keep the roads safer is because of the way they are used. They aren't bad things in themselves, but using them in place of proper traffic management is a bad thing.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

777236ER

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 45):
My greatest objection to the speed camera concept is the way it is structured; that the police forces keep the revenue, thus skewing their priorities from keeping the roads safe to siting them where they can generate the most money (i.e. how often do you see them outside schools where they damn well should be), that many police forces seem to view speed cameras as a replacement for proper traffic policing, thus catching the person doing 45 in a 40, but never catching the maniac doing 150mph where he knows there aren't any cameras because there are no coppers on the roads any more and so on.

The problem with police and revenue goes a lot further than speed cameras. A friend of mine owns a business, and a while back one of his front windows was kicked in. The police caught the bloke, cautioned him, and fined him £70. But the police got the money. With a £200 excess on the insurance, my friend was left footing the entire bill. A small claims court action is impossible, because as could be expected, the police refuse to release the name of the person who accepted the caution and was fined, under the data protection act.

I know three colleagues who have been mugged in Manchester - the police only turned up to one of those muggings. Yet, when there's a bit of wind, the cavalry arrive promptly to shut down every major street.

The break up of the Home Office can't come soon enough. Unaccountable cheif constables earning six-figure salaries, whilst their forces sit comfortably behind money-making policies, whereby the role of the police is to not to prevent crime, but to catch criminals, and then only to ensure they get a bit of money out of it.

ryangooner

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 46):
The police caught the bloke, cautioned him, and fined him £70.

I somehow doubt this, you either have 1 or the other, plus there is no such fine of £70.00.

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

WrenchBender

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 36):
3. Pull over to the side of the road, switch your engine OFF and answer your mobile AND if you havent completed your entire journey still 3 points and £60.00 (point 3 very technical, im yet to see this one enforced

Please explain the theory behind this one ????
Pull over to the side of the road checkmark 
switch your engine OFF  checkmark 
answer your mobile  checkmark 
Mission accomplished- idiot not driving and talking on mobile.
WHY this-
AND if you haven't completed your entire journey still 3 points and £60.00

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

777236ER

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 47):

I somehow doubt this, you either have 1 or the other, plus there is no such fine of £70.00.

It was either £60 or £70.