IFEMaster
Topic Author

Need To Protest? Hire A German!

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:26 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6292341.stm

To quote 'The Day Today', this is "proof, if proof be need be", that democracy is finally for sale.

Honestly, it's pretty ridiculous, don't you think? I wonder if there is a contract of sale involved, like the hired protester won't engage in anything illegal, or if arrested that the person hiring will pay for legal fees etc.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

SkyGourmet

RE: Need To Protest? Hire A German!

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:39 am

I read an article about that recently. Yes, it is a very worrying trend, public opinion shouldn't be purchasable. But I guess it shouldn't be too hard to find out which demonstration is real and which one is a setup. The article stated that the protesters can choose whether they want to support a demonstration which they don't agree with.
Meine dispatcher says there's something wrong mit deine Kabel?

lijnden

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:42 am

Is this really new to Germany? Look at the propaganda reels of Hitler in the 30's and 40's.
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

aloges

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:45 am

When I read this the first time my reaction was very Homer Simpson-like. It baffles the mind; you could however argue that democracy has always been for sale, why shouldn't the lower classes profit from it for a change?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

pelican

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:21 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Thread starter):
or if arrested that the person hiring will pay for legal fees etc.

You won't get arrested for protesting over here (as long as you respect our constitution). Those people get hired from political pressure groups so no danger of getting arrested.
There was an association of physician who hired protesters so they wouldn't have to close their practices.

Quoting Lijnden (Reply 2):
Is this really new to Germany? Look at the propaganda reels of Hitler in the 30's and 40's.

This is kind of protest renting is new. The Nazis didn't need to rent people for their cause.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
you could however argue that democracy has always been for sale, why shouldn't the lower classes profit from it for a change?

That would be a bold statement.
In the end it's questionable that those people profit from it in the long run. Who hires them has money and probably not a generous reason.
BTW it sounds like a student job. Hmm, I'm one and I'm living close to the political action... I think I've found a knew job  Wink

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:34 pm

An idea that would surely cut Poland's unemployment in half: Rent-a-car thief.