YWG
Topic Author

Rental Car Bashing: Toyota Yaris

Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:49 am

Hey guys,

This is more of a rant then a review, but the other day some fool backed into my '04 Alero GLX causing $2000 in damage to my drivers side door and fender. Obviously it wasn't my fault nor do I pay a cent, and thanks to third party liability insurance I am entitled to a rental car free of charge. I've driven two other rentals in the Past (Chevy Aveo, Chevy Malibu) from the groups Enterprise Car Rental agency. Yesterday when I took my car into the dealership body shop, they had arranged for my rental so I was picked up and driven to Enterprise only to pull up and see this disgusting, joke of a car, white Yaris with my name on it. I was obviously not impressed and the clerk could tell with my sigh of disgust. She said that sadly this was the only car the dealership had because of the high amount of collisions due to our icy weather lately, so I had no choice but to accept it. At first I thought, "Well how bad could it be" and then I sat down inside it.

-I'm 6' 6" tall: My knee's literally straddled the steering wheel like a cheap hooker with the seat fully back and the steering wheel all the way up.
-Immediately upon turning on the heat, the knob itself fell clean off (the car is brand new only 9000km on it), all I can say is wow.
-It has a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine (105hp) comparable to that of a golf cart, absolutely zero power, making highway driving and merging nothing short of a joke.
-Upon figuring out the stalk sound system to make my ride a little less aggravating, I realized the "4 speaker" system has only two of the speakers installed, while the mesh holders in the back remain empty. It is at this point that I realized this was the most basic of base models.
-No power windows/locks what so ever, I'm surprised the thing has power steering.
-Lastly, it's almost embarrassing to drive. I don’t want to sound like a stuck up "too good for anything" a-hole, but this car is absolutely alarming. I refuse to park it outside, but instead hurry to hide it in my garage as soon as I get home.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the delight of driving one of these quality automobiles or had a similar experience with a rental car?

[Edited 2007-01-25 23:22:00]
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

aa757first

RE: Rental Car Bashing: Toyota Yaris

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:03 am

But its so good for the environment and it gets great fuel economy!

AAndrew

luisde8cd

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:03 am

The Yaris is a very tech advanced piece of machine. That little engine is very powerful for being just 1.5L. Other car makers would envy the ability to get 105hp out of that kind of engine. The car is very light so 105hp is more than enough. Do you drive a BMW M3?

It seems like you got a very basic model, the model sold here in Venezuela comes with a 6-speaker system, leather seats, digital-panel A/C, etc...

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

A332

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:07 am

I wouldn't touch a Toyota Yaris with a ten foot pole... but that is just me.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

AirCop

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting YWG (Thread starter):
I'm 6' 6" tall: My knee's literally straddled the steering wheel like a cheap hooker with the seat fully back and the steering wheel all the way up.

I feel your pain, I would ask the firm to exchange cars when a bigger one is returned. (Actually it shounds like the other insurance company is being cheap) Frankly, just size alone makes the Yaris look like a death trap, of course its just my opinion.

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:21 am

Ahhh...the Yaris.

I call it 'The Sunshine Coach'.

Terrible, terrible vehicle.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

SWISSER

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:23 am

Yeah, rental cars...
Sometimes they shock you how good they are though, I once rented a Corolla,
i cannot help it to say, but that car is good for what it is!
I would never buy it though, but I get why people like it!
What time is top of descent?

aerobalance

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 2):
That little engine is very powerful for being just 1.5L

I disagree, 150 hp would be respectable from 1.5L. 105 hp is just plain lousy.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

photopilot

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:16 am

Lastly, it's almost embarrassing to drive. I don’t want to sound like a stuck up "too good for anything" a-hole, but this car is absolutely alarming. I refuse to park it outside, but instead hurry to hide it in my garage as soon as I get home.

Sad really, that you're so obviously insecure with yourself that you feel what you drive defines who you are as a person. I guess "size" really does matter to you.... or could that be another insecurity peeping through? Big grin Big grin

LOT767-300ER

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:40 am

The Yaris is a very tech advanced piece of machine. That little engine is very powerful for being just 1.5L. Other car makers would envy the ability to get 105hp out of that kind of engine. The car is very light so 105hp is more than enough. Do you drive a BMW M3?

The Yaris is a piece of shit. Who cares if its 1.5L and outputs 105hp. 105hp is a joke of a lawnmower. I had to drive a 1.0L Yaris for a month in Poland and I felt like I had nothing more than a mosquito screen protecting me.

-I'm 6' 6" tall: My knee's literally straddled the steering wheel like a cheap hooker with the seat fully back and the steering wheel all the way up.
-Immediately upon turning on the heat, the knob itself fell clean off (the car is brand new only 9000km on it), all I can say is wow.
-It has a 1.5L 4 cylinder engine (105hp) comparable to that of a golf cart, absolutely zero power, making highway driving and merging nothing short of a joke.
-Upon figuring out the stalk sound system to make my ride a little less aggravating, I realized the "4 speaker" system has only two of the speakers installed, while the mesh holders in the back remain empty. It is at this point that I realized this was the most basic of base models.
-No power windows/locks what so ever, I'm surprised the thing has power steering.
-Lastly, it's almost embarrassing to drive. I don’t want to sound like a stuck up "too good for anything" a-hole, but this car is absolutely alarming. I refuse to park it outside, but instead hurry to hide it in my garage as soon as I get home.

You should now be thankful for Americans and their size!  Silly . This country surpressed these bullshit go-karts for a long time and should continue to do so. Thankfully the Japanese and European carmakers have to adjust their cars for our markets and not bring forth 90% of the garbage tin junk they make because I would hate to drive a piece of shit Peugeot 207 or Mercedes A170.

To add to this point, beside my biases I support FULLY the US spec Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, Titans even US Spec Civics.
Please just keep the cars that can fit in my microwave and have the horsepower of my garage opener.

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 6):
i cannot help it to say, but that car is good for what it is!

Yea, a rental Corolla is nice if you're a 19 year old girl who works at a Sprint selling phones to NASCAR fans...either that or you have to drive half the country on one tank of gas.

This is what I think about the Toyota Yaris on US roads:

YWG
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:17 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 4):
I feel your pain, I would ask the firm to exchange cars when a bigger one is returned. (Actually it shounds like the other insurance company is being cheap) Frankly, just size alone makes the Yaris look like a death trap, of course its just my opinion.

No the insurance company isn't being cheap, they're really fair here in Manitoba. I've had claims in the past where I've got an equivalent or better car.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 5):
Terrible, terrible vehicle

Quoting A332 (Reply 3):
I wouldn't touch a Toyota Yaris with a ten foot pole...

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 9):
The Yaris is a piece of shit. Who cares if its 1.5L and outputs 105hp. 105hp is a joke of a lawnmower. I had to drive a 1.0L Yaris for a month in Poland and I felt like I had nothing more than a mosquito screen protecting me.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one here haha Big grin I can't wait to get rid of it.

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 7):

No kidding. I've done some rough "time trials" when merging and the thing takes about a 15 seconds to get to 100km/h with just me in the car. The engine compartment is no bigger than that of its cousin the golf carts engine compartment under the seat.

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 8):
Sad really, that you're so obviously insecure with yourself that you feel what you drive defines who you are as a person. I guess "size" really does matter to you.... or could that be another insecurity peeping through?

No you're missing the point. There is a fine line between your dignity and security. It's like a man wearing a skirt in public because he's "secure with his image", you just don't do it. This is how passionately i hate the Yaris and its ridiculous commercials.

Yea, a rental Corolla is nice if you're a 19 year old girl who works at a Sprint selling phones to NASCAR fans...either that or you have to drive half the country on one tank of gas.

Hahahaha no kidding, but at this point I'd take a Corolla over my current "ride".

Cadet57

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:57 am

My mom is 5'4 and drove ours in Aruba... She hated it. You must have been tortured...

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the delight of driving one of these quality automobiles or had a similar experience with a rental car?

Welcome to our Yaris as enjoyed by me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/Justin82287/Aruba%2006/DSCF0709.jpg

Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

YWG
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):

Welcome to our Yaris as enjoyed by me...

See unlike you, I was given the hatch back, which is (believe it or not) even smaller.

Duff44

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:36 pm

Look at it this way: It's only temporary. It's not like they replaced your Alero with that go-kart...

I get a $30-ish/day rental allowance on my insurance if I ever needed it (knocking on wood!!), which can get a decent rental if need be.

I never go economy/subcompact when I rent for pleasure trips (I'm 6'0", 255lb), but can comfortably fit in a compact car. I've had a Dodge Neon and a Chevy Cobalt with no issues.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

AsstChiefMark

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:43 pm

The trashing of a Yaris:

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

LOT767-300ER

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 13):
I never go economy/subcompact when I rent for pleasure trips (I'm 6'0", 255lb), but can comfortably fit in a compact car. I've had a Dodge Neon and a Chevy Cobalt with no issues.

The Neon and the Cobalt are Sherman Tanks and have business class room compared to the piece of Japlastic we are talking about here.

YWG
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 13):
Chevy Cobalt with no issues.

That an alright car, I test drove one about a year ago when i was thinking of replacing my girl, but alas my head was all over the roof.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 14):
The trashing of a Yaris:

I'm not going to lie here...I put the E-brake through its paces (see Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift). It's so temping to ruin a rental car in an empty parking lot glazed over with snow and ice. It never gets old!!

mham001

Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:45 pm

Manual or automatic? I drove a Toyota Vios 1.3 liter 5 speed for a week in Philippines and was impressed with they way the car moved. Driving the provinces is a constant passing situation around Jeepneys and tricycles and there was never a problem even with a load. Couple of times I did think about switching off the AC for a little boost though.

ADXMatt

Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Hey YWG....
I feel your pain. I'm driving a rental right now because of break light issues on my 2007 Saturn Aura. The dealer didn't have parts and had to order them.

The dealer uses Enterprise too. The location I was brought to had no GM cars. They had to give me a GM car for Saturn to pay for it.

She wanted to give me a piece of shit car. She told me to take it to any Enterprise location and swap it out. Thats what I did and now have a Pontiac G6. I miss my Saturn though. I hope I get it back today.

Kay

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:19 pm

You think the Yaris is bad? Try the Hyundai Getz! The car is one big piece of Caoutchouc! Most unpleasant car to drive ever.

Kay

aloges

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:51 pm

Not that I'd ever think of buying a Japanese car, I'm a nationalist when it comes to that, BUT:

Why is that lousy? 100hp per litre is a very, very good value, and certainly not to be expected in a basic, stripped-of-everything, non-turbocharged petrol car.

105hp is a joke of a lawnmower.

Interesting... why do you feel that way? Is 130hp for a full-grown VW Passat station wagon also a joke? I think not, as I've happily driven one on the Autobahn with four people and their baggage in it at 160 and more km/h. For being the only people with a partly limitless highway network, we Germans sure drive a lot of "lawnmowers" as you put it.  sarcastic 

Quoting YWG (Reply 10):
No kidding. I've done some rough "time trials" when merging and the thing takes about a 15 seconds to get to 100km/h with just me in the car.

How about a bit of anticipation on the road? I hate it how people trash everything below 300hp as "too weak" when the only time they ever need that sort of power is when they have to get out of the way of a truck whose speed they didn't assess correctly.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

damirc

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 20):
Interesting... why do you feel that way? Is 130hp for a full-grown VW Passat station wagon also a joke? I think not, as I've happily driven one on the Autobahn with four people and their baggage in it at 160 and more km/h. For being the only people with a partly limitless highway network, we Germans sure drive a lot of "lawnmowers" as you put it.

I don't get his line of reasoning either.

I drive an Avensis 2.0D with 115 HP. I regularly cruise with 100-110 mph and with an average consumption of 7.0-7.2l/100km =~ 32 mpg. Sure ... the car is not a rocket. But it drives fast, not too loud and very fuel efficient.

What the flying frill do I need a 300HP behemoth in which I cruise at 55 mph and it does an amazing 15 mpg. I don't get it at all.

D.

4holer

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:14 am

I'm 6' 6" tall: My knee's literally straddled the steering wheel like a cheap hooker with the seat fully back and the steering wheel all the way up.

Couldn't find a picture of the very tall guy folded into the small car on The Simpsons, but this'll do...
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:32 am

Interesting... why do you feel that way? Is 130hp for a full-grown VW Passat station wagon also a joke? I think not, as I've happily driven one on the Autobahn with four people and their baggage in it at 160 and more km/h. For being the only people with a partly limitless highway network, we Germans sure drive a lot of "lawnmowers" as you put it.

Its a lawnmower not because of speed but because of power. And when your neighbors son is 16 years old and has something with 200hp.

Quoting Damirc (Reply 21):
What the flying frill do I need a 300HP behemoth in which I cruise at 55 mph and it does an amazing 15 mpg. I don't get it at all.

Its a question of enjoyment. Who in their right mind cruises at 55mph?

kaneporta1

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:42 am

I'm 6'4, I own a Yaris and never had a problem with my height. Same 'legroom' as my Saab 93.

Quoting YWG (Reply 10):
No kidding. I've done some rough "time trials" when merging and the thing takes about a 15 seconds to get to 100km/h with just me in the car. The engine compartment is no bigger than that of its cousin the golf carts engine compartment under the seat.

My Yaris is a 1.3, 86bhp. But initially, the engine response and acceleration is better than the Saab. (until the Saab's turbo kicks in)
I've done 100mph on the highway without a problem. As far as your 15 seconds for 100kph go, I suggest to ONLY press the gas pedal when accelerating.

As far as engine power is concerned, I guess people in North America are used to having cars with 9 liter engines that produce 150bhp, so obviously a 1.5lt 105bhp is just not enough even though the Yaris weighs about 1/5th of a 'normal' car...
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

aerobalance

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:40 am

Why is that lousy? 100hp per litre is a very, very good value, and certainly not to be expected in a basic, stripped-of-everything, non-turbocharged petrol car.

My calculator says that 105hp/1.5L = 70hp/L, where did you get 100hp/L ?

BTW, this American drives 3.0L engined vehicles putting out 100hp/L and 85hp/L respectively.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

aloges

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 23):
Its a lawnmower not because of speed but because of power.

You need to get off of your high-power drugs. A car is not autoamtically a "lawnmower" if it's unable to do 0-100 in under 8 seconds and cannot pull ten times its own weight, while weighing in at 3,5 metric tons.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 23):
And when your neighbors son is 16 years old and has something with 200hp.

I now few people who have anything with 200hp, and 16 years is not the driving age here... besides, any parent letting an inexperienced 16yo drive a 200hp car should have their driving licence revoked - considering the ever-present rants from US members about driving education in their country.

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 25):
where did you get 100hp/L

right here:

50 hp would be respectable from 1.5L.

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 25):
BTW, this American drives 3.0L engined vehicles putting out 100hp/L and 85hp/L respectively.

How much more than a Yaris did they cost then?  Wink And how often do you rev them up high to actually get all those horses into gallop?

[Edited 2007-01-26 19:53:54]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

geedo

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:28 am

Yeah it sounds like a rant all right,
I think the original poster should just be glad that there was a car for him to drive at all. I understand the height issue, but just pony up the extra money and get a car in the class that fits you. And if one rental company doesn't have one, go down the street and check at the next place.
I've worked in the auto industry for over twenty five years, and I can tell you that automotive service customers, whether it be at a dealer or a body shop or private garage, are the whiniest bunch of pussies you could imagine. Flame away with your insults of ingratitude, I have the security of knowing how stupid people have acted and continue to at my place of business.

People get waaaaay too passionate about their cars and although its a pleasure to help people with them, its always a hoot to watch they way people will happily indignify themselves in front of other people over the slightest little issues.

Word to the people : Its a car. A machine. An inanimate object. I'm not happy when mine breaks down, either, but that's why you keep a spare, right?
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

YWG
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 17):
Manual or automatic

Auto....

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 18):
Thats what I did and now have a Pontiac G6.

I don't mind the G6 especially with the panoramic moon roof, but the interior is what licks balls and kills it for me. Pontiac just has this thing with awkward looking vents and ugly curves everywhere.

Quoting 4holer (Reply 22):
Couldn't find a picture of the very tall guy folded into the small car on The Simpsons, but this'll do...

It's funny you mention that because the second I sat down in it, I thought of that old simpsons episode when that giant was driving a little car and nelson laughs at him. he grinds to a stop, gets out and makes him pull his pants down, wave and blow kisses at people while he follows!

Quoting Kaneporta1 (Reply 24):
I've done 100mph on the highway without a problem. As far as your 15 seconds for 100kph go, I suggest to ONLY press the gas pedal when accelerating.

I'm not sure I get you here? Are you suggesting that I am decelerating, when trying to accelerate?

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 27):
just pony up the extra money and get a car in the class that fits you

Quoting YWG" class=quote target=_blank>YWG (Thread starter):
sadly this was the only car the dealership had because of the high amount of collisions due to our icy weather lately

Please....read before you speak and embarrass yourself.

Flame away with your insults of ingratitude, I have the security of knowing how stupid people have acted and continue to at my place of business.

This unprovoked whining was uncalled for. It sounds to me like you enjoy living pay cheque to pay cheque and have one of these bad boys sitting in the drive way Big grin

YWG

JAGflyer

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:12 am

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 18):

Another example of American JUNK. There is absolutely not excuse for a car thats not even a year old to be having issues with lights.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting Kaneporta1 (Reply 24):
I'm 6'4, I own a Yaris and never had a problem with my height. Same 'legroom' as my Saab 93.

Great, both are small. Compare to a Accord or Ford Five Hundred.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 26):
You need to get off of your high-power drugs. A car is not autoamtically a "lawnmower" if it's unable to do 0-100 in under 8 seconds and cannot pull ten times its own weight, while weighing in at 3,5 metric tons.

Its a lawnmower if it sounds like one and has the power and acceleration of one. I wouldnt call a 2006 Civic Si a lawnmower. I wouldnt call an Opel Vectra or a Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi a lawnmower.

I now few people who have anything with 200hp, and 16 years is not the driving age here... besides, any parent letting an inexperienced 16yo drive a 200hp car should have their driving licence revoked - considering the ever-present rants from US members about driving education in their country

My brother is 17, and has been driving a 2 door Dodge Stratus 3.0L 200hp car since he was 16 without a ticker or accident. At least if he gets into a crash he wont die like he would in a Yaris.

Driver education, NOT driver age. I commend the USA for letting a 16 year old drive. If age was the issue than how do you explain 18 year olds with better abilities than 35 year olds in the USA?

geedo

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting YWG" class=quote target=_blank>YWG (Reply 28):
just pony up the extra money and get a car in the class that fits you

sadly this was the only car the dealership had because of the high amount of collisions due to our icy weather lately

Please....read before you speak and embarrass yourself.

Flame away with your insults of ingratitude, I have the security of knowing how stupid people have acted and continue to at my place of business.

This unprovoked whining was uncalled for. It sounds to me like you enjoy living pay cheque to pay cheque and have one of these bad boys sitting in the drive way

No, but I enjoy reading you taking equally uncalled potshots of your own and embarressing yourself by making unfounded assumptions about my car and payscale. Did I miss something when I joined ANET? Is there a minimum payscale I must meet to hang with you peeps? Is there something else you're trying to say? And, my apologies, I guess I didn't realize that your city was so unprepared for this weather event. Is this snow/icy thing new to your area up there? Didn't see winter coming?  devil Maybe get a few more rental cars in stock long about October!

No hard feelings, eh? You're not far off on the car, a fifteen year old Corolla!
1600 CC's of blistering power. As an auto person, I'm not unsympathetic to your situation, but don't judge a car you don't fit in because its the one they made you take. The Yaris is for a different class of people. Too bad about the hieght issue, but at least you had wheels when I'm sure others did not. Here's to a speedy repair!
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

aa757first

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 17):
Couple of times I did think about switching off the AC for a little boost though.

If you have to do that, the car is obviously underpowered. By my standards, at least.

How about a bit of anticipation on the road? I hate it how people trash everything below 300hp as "too weak" when the only time they ever need that sort of power is when they have to get out of the way of a truck whose speed they didn't assess correctly.

Safety is all about mistakes, right? If I was perfect, I wouldn't need anti-lock brakes, air bags, seatbelts or a large engine. But I'm not, so give me all of those and AWD while you're at it.

I now few people who have anything with 200hp, and 16 years is not the driving age here... besides, any parent letting an inexperienced 16yo drive a 200hp car should have their driving licence revoked - considering the ever-present rants from US members about driving education in their country.

I drove a 315 hp car two weeks after I got my license. I didn't drive it unsafely and I sure as hell want to be a 315 hp SUV that can do 0-60 in seven seconds and has half a dozen airbags then something named Yaris. Just the name conjures up images of disastrous crashes.

Even my car has 175 hp.

I've worked in the auto industry for over twenty five years, and I can tell you that automotive service customers, whether it be at a dealer or a body shop or private garage, are the whiniest bunch of pussies you could imagine.

How professional of you.

Now, of course, I don't care what other people drive. Drive a Toyota Yaris or a Suburban, as long as you can drive it. Everyone has different standards for cars and that's why there's such a large range of cars available to us.

AAndrew

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:16 pm

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 31):
No hard feelings, eh? You're not far off on the car, a fifteen year old Corolla!

Why? Honestly even $1000 can get you a more COMFORTABLE car. So screw the performance, screw the looks and just the ride quality. There is a point where people just hang on to crappy cars too long.

Damn straight, I would be embarassed about driving in a Yaris int he USA too (Especially the hatchback). It might not seem like a big deal when youre married and 40 so dont answer that question

ThePRGuy

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:18 pm

105hp is a joke of a lawnmower.

Stupid statement.
My mother has a Fiat Punto 1.2 (yes 1.2 litre) - I know you yanks can't be used to such tiny engines, and that little ticker produces 95bhp.
This will happily cruise on the freeways at 95-100 (mph), 0-60 in about 10 seconds and happily does 40+ mpg.
Hardly bad? And its good to drive.
My stepdads Vectra has a 2.2l engine and produces 180bhp, now that does fly - but it goes to show that you really don't need a 5.7l out of date V8 to run a sedan....

But on another note - the yaris is a piece of shit.

Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 34):
My stepdads Vectra has a 2.2l engine and produces 180bhp, now that does fly - but it goes to show that you really don't need a 5.7l out of date V8 to run a sedan....

You can run a Sedan with a 1.2L. or a 2.0L. However it has the power and sound of a Matel Barbie Corvette running on Duracell D Batteries.  Silly

ThereandBack

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:07 pm

That sounds like a really bad expirience. The Yaris sucks obviously.

The best rental car I've had was an Audi A4.

AC777LR

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:19 pm

The Best Rental I have had was a Jeep TJ, now that was fun. I love Jeeps too.
Member since April 2000

ABQ747

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:14 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 29):
Another example of American JUNK. There is absolutely not excuse for a car thats not even a year old to be having issues with lights.

How about a brand new Honda Accord blowing an engine with only 50 miles on it? Talk about JUNK.

[Edited 2007-01-27 07:18:39]
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

YWG
Topic Author

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:51 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 30):
Driver education, NOT driver age. I commend the USA for letting a 16 year old drive.

I flew solo before I drove solo...believe it or not. Scarey world!

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 31):
No, but I enjoy reading you taking equally uncalled potshots of your own and embarressing yourself by making unfounded assumptions about my car and payscale. Did I miss something when I joined ANET? Is there a minimum payscale I must meet to hang with you peeps? Is there something else you're trying to say? And, my apologies, I guess I didn't realize that your city was so unprepared for this weather event. Is this snow/icy thing new to your area up there? Didn't see winter coming? Maybe get a few more rental cars in stock long about October!

I can tell we don't see eye to eye, but I don't believe in "online dissing" so I'm just going to throw in the towel and leave it be ok? Because this is just going to explode into a totaly unrelated and immature argument

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 33):
Damn straight, I would be embarassed about driving in a Yaris int he USA too (Especially the hatchback). It might not seem like a big deal when youre married and 40 so dont answer that question

You have now just earned a spot of my RR listing. For understanding my dignity, my person and my feelings Big grin

Quoting ThereAndBack (Reply 36):
The best rental car I've had was an Audi A4.

I'd lose my load if I got that as a rental......

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 38):
How about a brand new Honda Accord blowing an engine with only 50 miles on it? Talk about JUNK.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Yes that rocks!

MD11Engineer

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:03 pm

A few years ago I drove one (rental car) in Ireland. While it was not my style of car (too feminine and I didn't like this screen like instrument panel on the dash board), the handling was ok.
My girlfriend liked it a lot and if she wouldn't have had a colleague offer her an almost new FIAT Punto at a bargain price, she would have probably bought herself a Yaris.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 41):
My girlfriend liked it a lot and if she wouldn't have had a colleague offer her an almost new FIAT Punto at a bargain price, she would have probably bought herself a Yaris.

Further proof why women should never buy cars.

skidmarks

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:44 pm

You got a free hire car when your own car was in dock - and you are whingeing about the size and make? Yee gods and little fishes, you are so far down the tube to be stuck in the S bend!!  devil 

How long do you have the car for? A few days? a week? Be damn grateful you got one instead of crying about the size and type and lack of facilities for gods sake!! And think what you might have got had you been the next person in line - nothing!! Because YOU had the last car available!

A set of wheels is a set of wheels, made to get you from A - B and back. Thats all.

Sorry if I sound nasty and bitchy, but I hate it when people get something for nothing and whine about it.

Incidentally, I also think the Yaris is shit, but I wouldn't say no to a free one.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:49 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 43):
Incidentally, I also think the Yaris is shit, but I wouldn't say no to a free one.

Probably better than your usual mode of transportation on that remote island you live on Grandpa Walter. Although the Yaris only slightly beats it in terms of horsepower.

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Howie-n-Karen/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/ox%20cart.jpg

mham001

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting YWG (Reply 28):
Auto....

I think that explains everything. My 1.3 in a heavier car was more than adequate when I got to shift the gears and being a rental, I wasn't afraid to rev it up into the powerband. Americans I think are not used to this.

Fiatstilojtd

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:54 pm

the car is brand new only 9000km on it

Hi YWG,

sorry but this statement does not count in the rental car world....for many people out there rental cars are rolling spare parts.....I worked for Hertz Europe.... so I know from first source that you could be lucky when the rental car especially Focus (incl. C-MAX) still have the ORIGINAL Transmission after the second rental..or Clutch, Windscreen Wipes...etc. I know from storys at German Stations (the market I mainly worked for) that people rented a car drove two streets and changed the tyres right there on the streets, or a guy who brought a BMW 5-Series back to an Austrian station with another back seat row (from an older BMW 5-Series model !!!)...and the list goes on and on....

BA787

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:58 pm

The new ones are quite good, but considering you use the 1.5l one, Im taking it you mean the old one. 105hp out of a 1.5 may be good over there, but here its not the best, we can get 90hp out of a 1.1 Big grin

rammstein

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 44):
Although the Yaris only slightly beats it in terms of horsepower.

Those are two cows, and 1 cow is about as powerful as half horse. One horse produces about 1 horsepower, therefore the machine in the picture produces 0.5 + 0.5 = 1.0 hp.

Why I'm writing this  rotfl 
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

ltbewr

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:32 pm

About 5 years ago, in late June/early July, my then car (2000 Mercury Cougar)was in the body shop for a rear end accident. It needed the rear bumper and part of the exhaust system replaced, about $1,000 in damage was done. I ended up with a 4-door Geo Metro from a local Enterprise branch where most of the cost ($15/day) was covered by my insurance carrier. It wasn't a pleasant experience. Worse was that due to the 4th of July holiday weekend, heavy business at the body shop I went to, delay's in getting parts, I ended up using this POS for almost 2 weeks, when I expected maybe a week.
I mostly drive alone, and every day I drive about a 1.5 miles each way between my home and the bus stop to go to NY City. This was in mid-summer. It was hot some days, requiring the use of air conditioning. This car had so little power, that on mild hills, I had to turn off the a/c to get up them at a decent speed. It had no power anything, it was tiny (although I am short), crude and rough in it's ride and 'feel'. The only good things were that it was good on gas and easy to park in small spaces.
From that point onward, I hoped and usually ended up with a slightly better and larger car (like a Focus or =) when I needed a replacement car although some were not so hot either (Chevy Malibu)