desertjets

AIM 6.0, The Newest Memory Hog?

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:28 am

Since I've updated AIM to 6.0 on my work PC it has become much slower. New IM windows pop-up and take forever, typically a minute minimum to fully load, sometimes longer. And it seems to slow everything else down.

When I have an active IM chat open AIM 6.0 is eating up between 55-70k MB of memory. When it is just running in the background it drops back down to the 15-25k MB range.

My comp at work is Dell Optiplex GX270. P4 2.4ghz w/ 256mb of ram, running WinXP Pro. At home I do not have this problem w/ AIM 6.0, and its a Gateway of similar vintage (3.5 yrs old) w/ a 2.4ghz Celeron w/ 768mb of ram.

At this point I am getting ready to downgrade AIM. While I like some of the functionality of the new version, it is slowing me down and I'd like to be able to get work done and not have messages between me and my coworkers slow me down.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

TedTAce

RE: AIM 6.0, The Newest Memory Hog?

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:40 am

Use Trillian.

'The message you were about to post is too short and probably not of any higher value to the topic at hand. You should think long and hard before posting a message in this forum and make it detailed and a valuable addition to the topic discussed.'
This space intentionally left blank

174thfwff

RE: AIM 6.0, The Newest Memory Hog?

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 am

http://x.aim.com/laim/

That's the website to AIM Lite. That's what I use and it rocks.
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.