JAL777
Topic Author

Iran Has Found A Cure For Aids

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:07 pm

Banco

RE: Iran Has Found A Cure For Aids

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:10 pm

This creates a real paradox: Who is least reliable here, Fox News or Ahmadinejad?  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Dougloid

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:11 pm

Knowing the state of tolerance in Iran these days the cure would most likely be a dose of lead administered by Doctor Kalashnikov.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

RichardPrice

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:38 pm

Im sure I saw this elsewhere a few days ago, and after a bit of digging, I certainly did!

Quote:

Mr Jammeh said last month he had begun treating 10 patients on Thursdays with secret medicinal herb ingredients.

His health minister backs his claims, saying in trials so far patients had gained weight and physically improved.

"I can treat asthma and HIV/Aids... Within three days the person should be tested again and I can tell you that he/she will be negative," he said in a statement.

"I am not a witch doctor and in fact you cannot have a witch doctor. You are either a witch or a doctor."

Gambian Health Minister Tamsir Mbow says the herbal medicines are taken orally and applied to the body.

Only in this one, its not Iran but Gambia!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6323449.stm

rammstein

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:38 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 1):
This creates a real paradox: Who is least reliable here, Fox News or Ahmadinejad? Wink

rotfl 

Anyway, it's a weak attempt to bash Iran and Mr. Ahmadinejad. Even in the industrialized, civilized Western countries, everyday someone is discovering new effective methods/cures for AIDS, including: magnetic-therapy, new-age music, homeopathy, massages, etc.
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

dl021

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:49 pm

Hey...let's see if their cure works. If so then we can give the guys the Nobel prize. If not then we can berate them for being idiots.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

LHMark

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):
Hey...let's see if their cure works. If so then we can give the guys the Nobel prize. If not then we can berate them for being idiots.

(dusting off his berating hat)
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

dl021

Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 6):
(dusting off his berating hat)

Make sure you wear your pancake in the meanwhile so you don't catch cold!
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

LHMark

Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:35 am

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

L410Turbolet

Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:44 am

Along with the claim of nuclear "rights," Ahmadinejad was set to tout a purported "herbal" cure for AIDS, the news agency Fars reported.

I'm not a botanist but are mushrooms technically considered as "herbs"??? Especially this one particular species... Sure does make the possibility of dying from AIDS in some 10-15 years a minor nuisance.

KROC

Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:07 am

Come on Mark. How are you going to screw up your own picture?

andessmf

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:13 am

OK, I'll say it, half in jest.

There are many here who have believed by the evidence presented, that Iran has no interest in a nuclear weapon. Therefore, if Iran is claiming a cure for AIDS now, the same people should applaud that achievement.

PanAmOldDC8

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 5):

Only time will tell!!!!
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

TransWorldSTL

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 9):
dying from AIDS in some 10-15 years

We're up to 25 years, with good treatment, and early detection!

This is so ridiculous. If the most technologically advanced nations in the world working together can't find the cure, I'm not sure how a relatively isolated country like Iran could find one, let alone an herbal one. I'd be extremely happy to know what kind of natural ingredients could kill such a horrible virus such as HIV/AIDS

RichardPrice

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 13):
This is so ridiculous. If the most technologically advanced nations in the world working together can't find the cure, I'm not sure how a relatively isolated country like Iran could find one, let alone an herbal one. I'd be extremely happy to know what kind of natural ingredients could kill such a horrible virus such as HIV/AIDS

While I doubt the claims by both Iran and Gambia, the actual concept isnt as far fetched as you might think.

Many times drug companies have refined a herbal or plant extract treatment in use by 'relatively isolated' and even unsophisticated tribes in south africa, south america and other places and came up with powerful drugs that are used today.

Penacillin was found by accident by scientists with lower technology than even a school child has access to with off the shelf chemistry kits.

It happens, and it happens a lot more often than you like to think.

But these specific claims are nothing more than a PR stunt until they have been verified by independant scientists (peer review).

Mir

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 2):
Knowing the state of tolerance in Iran these days the cure would most likely be a dose of lead administered by Doctor Kalashnikov.

Most likely.

An herbal remedy for AIDS? I wonder what "herbs" they were smoking when they came up with that one.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PlymSpotter

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:16 am

I'm not sure about this 'cure'. When I was in Syria I saw a lot of flyers on lampposts claiming that Islam had a cure for AIDS - and from what I understood, the cure was converting to Islam and then using your faith. Much as I'm for religions thinking positively and the use of will power to cure ailment, I really don't think in this case it's going to work and giving impressionable people false hope like this is wrong.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Dougloid

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 14):
Penacillin was found by accident by scientists with lower technology than even a school child has access to with off the shelf chemistry kits

Credit where it's due, Richard. Dr. Alexander Fleming, a British scientist discovered penicillin by chance, while working on staph infections.

Now....although any child could have done the same thing, the fact is that they would have needed Fleming's background in biology and lab practice to understand the significance of what he saw in the dish.

Which is proof once again that fortune favors the prepared mind.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/scientist/profile/fleming.html
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

HAWK21M

Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 13):
This is so ridiculous. If the most technologically advanced nations in the world working together can't find the cure, I'm not sure how a relatively isolated country like Iran could find one, let alone an herbal one.

Out here In India too Research has shows some very positive Breakthroughs.But still a lot more research needed.
Irrespective of the Nation trying to find the solution.Ultimitely it has to Benefit Mankind.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)