Falcon84
Topic Author

Cheney's Fund Manager Rips U.S. Energy Policy

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:04 am

I wonder how the Vice President is reacting to this one:

http://www.thestreet.com/_tscs/funds/fundmorning/10336832.html

Knowing how Cheney just takes criticism so well, it might be this guy isn't his fund manager much longer, even if I think the man is right.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Klaus

RE: Cheney's Fund Manager Rips U.S. Energy Policy

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:33 am

His conclusion:

Cheney's Fund Manager Attacks ... Cheney

Quote:
Grantham blames three decades of political cowardice for America's backward energy policy. As he dryly notes, "U.S. drivers -- the world's richest and some of the best behaved -- would, it was said, never accept increased taxes, where Italian drivers would! Even tax-neutral policies, such as taxing high mileage cars at purchase and subsidizing efficient cars, were never seriously considered."

The result: the fuel efficiency of U.S. cars has actually gone backward since 1982.

The irony is that this isn't, or shouldn't be, a partisan issue. Grantham singles out the Ford administration for his strongest praise on environmental matters. Everyone since, of both parties, has been a failure, he concludes. "The past 26 years have been such a wasted opportunity," Grantham writes. "This country had previously shown leadership in this field. President Ford got us off to a running start in energy efficiency... With a succession of President Fords, we would have ended up as an environmental leader and a great model."

I would love to know what President Ford's former chief of staff thinks of that.

His name? Richard B. Cheney.