TransWorldSTL
Topic Author

Toll Roads Everywhere In Florida.. What Gives?

Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:08 pm

While planning my next college visit down in Miami at the end of this month, I came to realize that Florida has A LOT of toll roads..
The SunPass website says it usually costs $15.70 to get from Ft.Lauderdale to Disney World, just in tolls? That seems outrageous, though I live in an area where the only toll we pay, is to use a bridge that has been closed for years, and won't open again until 2009.

Why are FL's interstates mostly all tolls? The only thing I can find by Googling, is that the DOT doesn't make enough money to cover the costs otherwise, but couldn't that be solved by a different kind of tax? Surely the tolls are a cash-cow in the Orlando area with the tourists, so why are the (seemingly) so high?

I have a feeling that constant trips from Homestead to Miami are going to take quite a chunk from my gas funds.

TedTAce

RE: Toll Roads Everywhere In Florida.. What Gives?

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Thread starter):
Why are FL's interstates mostly all tolls?

no 
Grasshopper, you have much to learn.

All of Florida's INTERSTATES are free (ok there might be a COUPLE of exceptions) But the route you are talking about is taking the "Ronald Regan Turnpike" It's a toll road. If you want to be a cheap bastard, take I-95 to SR-50 and that will take you to downtown Orlando for Free.
This space intentionally left blank

miamiair

Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:37 pm

Wait until you get to the Orlando area...

That is the toll road capital.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

DAL767400ER

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Orlando also only has one interstate that is absolutely substandard for the demands. Thankfully, alot is being done to improve it, like rebuilding interchanges and adding lanes from Polk County all the way to I-95, but all that costs quite a bit money that FLDOT doesn't have, hence Toll Roads are found everywhere. And believe me, I have been stuck in rushhour traffic on I-4 more than once, and the last thing I need while on vacation is wasting hours in a traffic jam, and as such, I'd happily pay a few bucks to use FL-417 around Orlando and avoid that clusterf*ck on I-4 in downtown.

It should also be noted that the Orlando area is growing massively, 2 largest growth area in the US after Vegas, IIRC, and that certainly factors in for the DOT's lack of fundings to stay on top of the growth.

kbfispotter

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:22 pm

I lived in Central Florida for 9 years, and had no problem paying tolls... I figured that if I was using the roads, I might as well pay my share to use them...Granted, there are some major toll roads, such as the East-West Expressway, SR-417, SR-528, and the Florida Turnpike, but this is minor compared to the number of major roads that have no tolls. Granted, it has been four years since I moved, so things might have changed...

I agree with TedTAce, go I-95 to highway 50 if you want to go to Orlando. If you want to go to Disney, though, and want to go the quickest route, be prepared to pay. Going all the way to Titusville, cutting across, and then back down will add over an hour each way...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

767Lover

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:34 pm

Okay, since your question hasn't been answered, the reason for so many toll roads is that there is NO state income tax, and taxes paid on vehicle registration are comparatively low (compared to Georgia anyway).

deltagator

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 5):
Okay, since your question hasn't been answered, the reason for so many toll roads is that there is NO state income tax, and taxes paid on vehicle registration are comparatively low (compared to Georgia anyway).

Another underlying issue was a weak or uninterested Congressman during the massive growth of the Orlando area during the 1970s through the 1980s and onward. Without federal funding for interstate highways the area turned to state roads and put tolls on them to pay for them. Of course the massive growth that the Orlando area experienced during that time was something nobody was ready for and the area is still catching up with transportation.

The Turnpike has always been a toll road though I do believe it is cheaper to travel along it now that they redid the toll structure a few years back.

Interesting note on the tolls is with SR528 (the Bee Line) running from Brevard County over to Orlando. When that road was built the government forces that be promised when the road was paid for they would remove the tolls. That road was supposedly paid for after its first year in existence but yet the tolls remain. Brevard County finally pulled the tolls off the road in the late 80s or early 90s (I forget exactly when) but they remain in Orange County and are more costly than before.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ORFflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):
All of Florida's INTERSTATES are free

Unless something has changed over the years, under federal mandate, states cannot put a toll on an interstate.

"Ronald Regan Turnpike"

Ted - I am assuming this is the "Florida Turnpike" renamed??

Lastly, US Route 27 is a good drive. North/south artery through the middle of the state. Skirts right past Orlando on the west side, and heads east in the southern portion of the state over to the Miami area.

miamiair

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 7):
Lastly, US Route 27 is a good drive.

Just make sure you obey the posted speed limits when going thru the podunk towns...
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Unless something has changed over the years, under federal mandate, states cannot put a toll on an interstate.

I90 has plenty of tolls on it from Chicago eastwards. Same with I70 through Pennsylvania.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ORFflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 9):
I90 has plenty of tolls on it from Chicago eastwards. Same with I70 through Pennsylvania.

Yes, but don't they also carry the "turnpike" name as well. This is the loophole that some states jumped into to add the tolls way back when. I-95 from Richmond to Petersburg used to have tolls, and was called the "Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike" as well as carrying the I-95 designation. Once the turnpike name was dropped, and it was only I-95, the tolls went away.

ltbewr

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:42 pm

Toll roads are politcian's way to making sure the people have the roads they need, but not tax them for it. To many taxpayers, why should they have to pay for a fancy road few of them will ever drive on (especially if in other parts of the state). Then you have the need to employ or appoint people at high salaries to run the toll road authorities, and you have a politicans dream.

TedTAce

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 2):
That is the toll road capital.

Only if you stray off of SR-400 (I-4)

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 6):
The Turnpike has always been a toll road though I do believe it is cheaper to travel along it now that they redid the toll structure a few years back.

no  unless you are talking about adjusting for inflation, then yeah it's a little cheaper, but not using whole dollar ammounts.

Tell that to New Jersey... Plus now that I recall I-75 (Aligator Alley) has tolls on both sides of the state.

Ted - I am assuming this is the "Florida Turnpike" renamed??

vomit   yes   vomit 

Lastly, US Route 27 is a good drive.

yes   yes   yes   yes 

BUT it is slower then Methusalah!!! Lots of lights, lots of slow 'back country' town folks who are not in a rush. I would equate it to taking route 66. You take it because you want to enjoy the trip, not getting there in a timely fashion, and it gets you a lot closer to Mickeyworld then my previous suggestion, but my previous suggestion is still 'faster'... Oh, and no small town cops with chips on their shoulder on I-95. Sure you get county mounties, but no small town 'we are making our money off of visitors' attitude.
This space intentionally left blank

DAL767400ER

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:44 pm

Not only those. Others that come to mind are:
I-44 throughout Oklahoma
I-35 parts of it in Kansas
I-70 parts in Kansas as well
I-88 parts in Illinois
I-95 parts in Maine
I-87 parts in New York/New Jersey
I-77 parts in W. Virginia
I-80 where it overlays I-90
I-76 throughout Pennsylvania. Matter of fact, I-76 aka Pennsylvania Turnpike is the first major tollroad in the US.

luisde8cd

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 pm

I remember paying tolls in Delaware while driving on I-95 from Baltimore to NYC...

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

KROC

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:06 pm

I-90 in NYS starting atteh PA boarder is a toll road. Its called the NYS Thruway. Not sure if thats the same kind of loophole a Turnpike evidentally is, but they do charge for its use.

StarAC17

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:26 pm

The SunPass website says it usually costs $15.70 to get from Ft.Lauderdale to Disney World, just in tolls? That seems outrageous, though I live in an area where the only toll we pay, is to use a bridge that has been closed for years, and won't open again until 2009.

Be thankful, the 407 here in Toronto will cost that to drive one way across the entire city and thats with a transponder, at least you are talking about a 4-5 hour drive and not a 45 minute one.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

ORFflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:27 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 13):

Have they always been a toll road? Do they also carry another designation other than interstate?

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 14):
I remember paying tolls in Delaware while driving on I-95

I don't think I-95 goes through Delaware, unless it's a very short distance up near the New Jersey/Pennsylvannia/Deleware borders.

Quoting KROC (Reply 15):
Its called the NYS Thruway

checkmark  There's that loophole.

I'll add that what I posted originally about no tolls on interstates is very old information, but I'm pretty damn sure it WAS a federal mandate back in the day. Times change......

desertjets

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:28 pm

RE: toll roads as interstates.

Highways like the NYS Thruway, Pennsylvania Turnpike, Mass Pike, etc were constructed/planned before the passage of of the National Defense Highway Act of 1956. These roads were then integrated into the Interstate Highway system.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

DAL767400ER

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 17):
I don't think I-95 goes through Delaware, unless it's a very short distance up near the New Jersey/Pennsylvannia/Deleware borders.

It does go through Deleware, the entire massive 11 miles  Wow! , of which 5 are tolled.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:32 pm

Yeah, I only knew for sure about the ones I avoided when I drove to DC in November. Didn't feel like looking it up  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

KROC

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 17):

It does.

http://www.aaroads.com/delaware/i-095.htm

ORFflyer

Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 19):
It does go through Deleware, the entire massive 11 miles   , of which 5 are tolled.

Quoting KROC (Reply 21):
It does.

http://www.aaroads.com/delaware/i-095.htm

And the part that is tolled is called the Delaware Turnpike.

From the link: "Entering the Delaware Turnpike Toll Plaza on Interstate 95 south"

The loophole effect.....  Smile

TransWorldSTL
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 5):
NO state income tax,

This I did not know!

I can remember back in 1997, driving down to Disney World, and having to use Toll Roads. Granted, they were probably the smoothest and most upkept roads I had ever been on (compared to MO/IL roads), but I remember A LOT of tolls.

j_hallgren

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 22):
And the part that is tolled is called the Delaware Turnpike.

And on some online mapping sites, it shows only a ONE mile or so stretch that is colored/marked as toll...just another little irritation on the way to/from FL...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

deltagator

Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 12):
unless you are talking about adjusting for inflation, then yeah it's a little cheaper, but not using whole dollar ammounts.

It's been a while since I'e taken the Turnpike all the way South to Miami but I swear from Wildwood to Orlando it was a bit cheaper when they redid the toll setup. Not by much but perhaps a dollar or so.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

PHLBOS

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 19):
It does go through Deleware, the entire massive 11 miles, of which 5 are tolled.

While the roadmaps may show 5 miles of I-95 (Delaware Turnpike) as a toll road; the truth of the matter is there is only ONE toll barrier located at the DE-MD state line ($3 each way... NO EZ-Pass discount) between the Route 896 interchange (Exits 1A-B) in Delaware and the Route 279 interchange (Exits 109A-B) in Elkton, Maryland. One can easily bypass the toll by getting off at the above exits, use local roads (either 896-4-2-279 (north bypass) or 896-40-279 (south bypass).

IIRC, that mandate applies to a state erecting a toll on an existing Interstate freeway.

I-44 throughout Oklahoma
I-35 parts of it in Kansas
I-70 parts in Kansas as well
I-88 parts in Illinois
I-95 parts in Maine
I-87 parts in New York/New Jersey
I-77 parts in W. Virginia
I-80 where it overlays I-90
I-76 throughout Pennsylvania. Matter of fact, I-76 aka Pennsylvania Turnpike is the first major tollroad in the US.

Most of I-90 from Chicago eastward is on a toll facility.
I-95 also has tolls in New Hampshire (NH Turnpike), New York (New England Thruway), New Jersey (northern part of the New Jersey Turnpike), the fore-mentioned Delaware Turnpike, and in Maryland (JFK Memorial Highway from Baltimore to the DE state line).
Part of I-93 in NH (F.E. Everett Turnpike) is a toll road.
All of I-276 and I-476 north of Plymouth meeting are also part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike system.

I came to realize that Florida has A LOT of toll roads..

Try driving in the northeastern part of the country.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Delta767300ER

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:35 am

Quote:
Just make sure you obey the posted speed limits when going thru the podunk towns...

South Bay, Clewiston, Moore Haven, Sebring, Avon Park, LAKE WALES, Dundee, Clermont/Minneola.......I could go on forever.

Regarding toll roads, I have no complaints on them. Most of them are kept up better than municipal highways or interstates, their is usually less traffic, and not as many cops.

-Delta767300ER

PHLBOS

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 27):
Regarding toll roads, I have no complaints on them. Most of them are kept up better than municipal highways or interstates, their is usually less traffic, and not as many cops.

Again, try driving in the northeastern part of the country; there's plenty of traffic and cops along those roads. Some state police forces even have separate units/troops designated to patrol toll roads.

As far as upkeep is concerned; two of the deadliest bridge/overpass collapses during the 1980s occurred on toll roads.
1983: Mianus River bridge collapse in Connecticut (along the then-toll road known as the Connecticut Turnpike)
1987 (or 1988): Section of an overpass along the NY Thruway (I-90 portion) collapses.

Many toll road facilities have their own offices, agencies and so forth. As a result, the old saying of absolute power corrupts absolutely comes into play and these agencies turn into political patronage (or hack) havens. When that happens; tolls originally intended for roadway upkeep and maintenance sadly goes elsewhere... but that's another topic for another day.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

DAL767400ER

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:27 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 26):
While the roadmaps may show 5 miles of I-95 (Delaware Turnpike) as a toll road; the truth of the matter is there is only ONE toll barrier located at the DE-MD state line ($3 each way... NO EZ-Pass discount) between the Route 896 interchange (Exits 1A-B) in Delaware and the Route 279 interchange (Exits 109A-B) in Elkton, Maryland. One can easily bypass the toll by getting off at the above exits, use local roads (either 896-4-2-279 (north bypass) or 896-40-279 (south bypass).

Wow, that's pretty ridiculous. I suppose the tolled part used to be longer? IIRC, there's also a service area like you only find it on toll roads on the untolled part of I-95 in DE.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 28):

Shows how different roads can be dependant on region. FL-417 around Orlando was probably one of the best up-kept 4-lane divided limited access road in the US I have ever driven.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 28):
Mianus River bridge

Sad incident, but please, who came up with THAT name for a river?

USAFHummer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 29):

Its the name of a town in Connecticut as well...and was featured in a "Jackass" segment...

Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

MaidensGator

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 18):
RE: toll roads as interstates.

Highways like the NYS Thruway, Pennsylvania Turnpike, Mass Pike, etc were constructed/planned before the passage of of the National Defense Highway Act of 1956. These roads were then integrated into the Interstate Highway system.

When the Interstate system was designed, it incorporated certain existing toll roads, such as the Pennsylvania Turnpike and NY Thruway. To repay the states, the feds allowed the tolls to remain where they already existed.

I90 has plenty of tolls on it from Chicago eastwards.

That stretch is nuts; wait in line to pay ten cents. It's only a dime, but I'd rather just pay a buck and not have to stop every two miles.

It's also cheaper with the Sunpass transponder. I live north of the turnpike and use it to go to MCO or Orlando. If you pay cash it's $2.50, transponder $2.00
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

FlyVirgin744

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:03 am

Take it from an industry insider, with the costs of construction and the ever rising congestion in most areas, don't be surprised if by the end of your lifetimes every interstate road and main intrastate roads will have a toll.

They are getting ready to design Florida's next major east-west road, I forget the project's name, but you bet it'll be a toll.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

MaidensGator

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:05 am

That's nothing, in Florida we have, among others:

Econlockhatchee River
Ocklawaha River
Loxahatchee River
Apalachicola River
Caloosahatchee River
Choctawhatchee River
Withlacoochee River
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

j_hallgren

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:03 am

LAKE WALES, Dundee, Clermont/Minneola.......I could go on forever

Never thought I'd see the little town where I grew up mentioned on a post here! I spent much of my early years in Dundee! It's a lot bigger now but back then, we had (AFAIR) one traffic light...maybe a second at most...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

ORFflyer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:17 am

Clewiston

Stayed in Clewiston for a week every year back in mid to late 80's. My Father-n-law and I fished Lake Okeechobee for five or six years in a row back then. Great bass fishing, and shellcracker too!!

The only thing in Clewiston then was the sugar plant. Is that still around?

N1120A

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:02 pm

Why are FL's interstates mostly all tolls?

Their interstates don't have tolls, it is the other highways

But the route you are talking about is taking the "Ronald Regan Turnpike"

I don't think you ever clarified if that is Florida's Turnpike renamed.

Interesting note on the tolls is with SR528 (the Bee Line) running from Brevard County over to Orlando. When that road was built the government forces that be promised when the road was paid for they would remove the tolls. That road was supposedly paid for after its first year in existence but yet the tolls remain.

Yeah, welcome to the world of toll road political bullsh!t. The New York Thruway had that same famous promise, but when all the bonds related to the road were paid off in 1998, the legislature still voted to keep the tolls in place.

Not if that road was an already existing toll road. Of course, that creates an interesting issue when one considers the newest idiot in the Texas state house's plans.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 16):
Be thankful, the 407 here in Toronto will cost that to drive one way across the entire city and thats with a transponder, at least you are talking about a 4-5 hour drive and not a 45 minute one.

The 407 ETR has been an issue of contention for years. Then again, it is one of very few toll roads at all in Canada and is easily bypassed for most people.

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 31):
That stretch is nuts; wait in line to pay ten cents. It's only a dime, but I'd rather just pay a buck and not have to stop every two miles.

Seems strange that they don't have ticket/off ramp based payment yet.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ORFflyer

Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Quoting TedTAce (Reply 1):But the route you are talking about is taking the "Ronald Regan Turnpike"
I don't think you ever clarified if that is Florida's Turnpike renamed.

checkmark  Reply 12....

kbfispotter

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:42 pm

Here is a question for those of you in C. Fla: When did 528 change from the Beeline to the Beachline? It just does not sound right to me... It must be because I spent so many years calling it the Beeline...I know that they tried to change the name in the late 90's, but that went no where, as it only lasted a few months...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

PHLBOS

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
The New York Thruway had that same famous promise, but when all the bonds related to the road were paid off in 1998, the legislature still voted to keep the tolls in place.

More closer to your neck of the woods; the toll booths along original stretch of the Mass Pike (NY State line to Weston (I-95/Route 128)) were supposed to come down when the original bonds were paid off back in 1984 . During the '90s, the tolls west of Exit 6 (I-291) were the rates eliminated (and I believed the toll booths were later torn down) and the Exit 16 (coincidentally Route 16) ramp toll booths were also eliminated.

Towards the end of the Romney Administration, a proposal to eliminate the remaining tolls from Springfield to Weston was brought forth. Unfortunately, the Turnpike Authority officials passed up the chance to vote on that proposal last November (after the elections). Somehow, I don't believe that the current Governor (Duval Patrick) will act on that proposal where Romney left off.

N1120A

Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:17 am

I completely disagree. The government of Ontario has been embroiled in a battle to revoke the lease of the company that privately runs and maintains the 407ETR because of the excessive tolls they charge as well as the woefully inadequate and less safe construction they have employeed since taking the road over. Also, roads like the Mass Pike and New York TW don't see less traffic because they really are the only real choice in many respects, especially during the winter where other routes will recieve less attention.

IIRC, there's also a service area like you only find it on toll roads on the untolled part of I-95 in DE.

Many toll-free roads also have service areas. Highway 401 in Ontario is a good example as is Route 3 in MA.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 39):
More closer to your neck of the woods; the toll booths along original stretch of the Mass Pike (NY State line to Weston (I-95/Route 128)) were supposed to come down when the original bonds were paid off back in 1984 . During the '90s, the tolls west of Exit 6 (I-291) were the rates eliminated (and I believed the toll booths were later torn down) and the Exit 16 (coincidentally Route 16) ramp toll booths were also eliminated.

I am actually not in Boston anymore, but I do know about the Pike's similarity to the Thruway. The main reason the western tolls were removed is because local opposition to paying tolls that would help support the Big Dig, a Boston-only project.

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 39):
Towards the end of the Romney Administration, a proposal to eliminate the remaining tolls from Springfield to Weston was brought forth. Unfortunately, the Turnpike Authority officials passed up the chance to vote on that proposal last November (after the elections). Somehow, I don't believe that the current Governor (Duval Patrick) will act on that proposal where Romney left off.

Yeah, Romney knew he would never be successful with the Springfield-Weston toll removal. He also wanted to take direct control of the TA.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss