Rara
Topic Author

Americans Are NOT Stupid

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:32 am

Has this been posted before? If so, please delete it..

It's pretty entertaining.

And before someone feels the need to point it out, yes, we all know this movie could have been made in any country on this earth. Well, a similar movie anyway.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

AsstChiefMark

RE: Americans Are NOT Stupid

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:35 am

Why are there English subtitles? They're speaking English, for God's sake!

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Rara
Topic Author

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:42 am

Yeah... I find them helpful though. I always appreciate English subtitles on English movies, just as a back-up, but I can see that a native speaker could find them annoying.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

CastleIsland

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 1):
Why are there English subtitles? They're speaking English, for God's sake!

Not to mention the subtitler spelled New Zeland and Budhist like a numb-fuck butt-monkey. Speaking of which, I'm sure Jafa39 will be all over my shite for noting this. tongue 

Jay Leno plays this stuff every week, it's kinda spent, beat, hackneyed, played, and tired, but let's just keep perpetuating the myth that all Americans are dumb as paint. Sure. Debate me. I'm ready to go.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

AsstChiefMark

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:50 am

It doesn't help that the quizmaster labelled Australia incorrectly (and differently) each time. I'm not sure about the labelling of the other countries. I couldn't see them well.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Dougloid

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:53 am

If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

EWRCabincrew

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:00 pm

They are no dumber than anyone else. I think this was discussed before with even more video as fodder.
You can't cure stupid

AeroWesty

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:01 pm

I am shocked and dismayed that anyone would take such a reputable news organization to task.  Wink

http://www.cnnnn.com/

"CNNNN is a news and current affairs channel owned and operated by ChaserCorp. It was founded by ChaserCorp CEO David Stewart in 1983 to counteract liberal bias in the media and remains the cornerstone of a television network that now contains over 40 different channels, spans 294 countries and reaches a potential cumulative audience of 100 billion people per week (source: Roy Morgan)."
International Homo of Mystery

KPDX

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 pm

As funny as it is, it is pretty damn obvious they took the people that answered the questions right, out of the video, and left only the wrongs ones...  bomb  I just hate how they give us a bad reputation....  Wink

KPDX  Smile
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

CastleIsland

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 9):
I just hate how they give us a bad reputation....

They don't really. Rest assured. There are stupid people everywhere. There are just more viddys of us saying dumb things.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

kiwiinoz

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:21 pm

I love these sorts of clips

Americans are not stupid, compared to the rest of the world. Of course they have only shown the dumbasses in this video.

There is a difference in America though. Being such a developed country in terms of media and entertainment, the dumb end of the spectrum would rarely receive anything but American media and entertainment, therefore tend to be more self absorbed, and less knowledgable about the outside world, compared with dumb people in other countries.

The smarter people in America tend to be more discerning and well read, seeking out alternative theory and media, (a-net is a real melting pot of genius, for example....).

So rest assured, America will have some smart people at the helm for their upcoming war with Italy.....and France, with the assistance of "New Zeland" apparently!! I wonder if I will get drafted??

L-188

Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 9):
As funny as it is, it is pretty damn obvious they took the people that answered the questions right, out of the video, and left only the wrongs ones...

Just remember that these things are usually filmed in California.

So in reality they are giving Californians a bad rep.

Quoting KPDX (Reply 9):
left only the wrongs ones...

I don't know, I think the guy in the green shirt who talked about turning the mid-east into a glass crater was right.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Thom@s

Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:49 pm

That was simply brilliant. Big grin

And kinda scary too...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

bwest

Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 12):
I don't know, I think the guy in the green shirt who talked about turning the mid-east into a glass crater was right.

But where would you get your oil then?  Wink

Although I could answer all those questions, as I'm conviced the large part of people here on this forum can (even the Americans  Wink ) I'm sure if I went out on the street here in Belgium, it probably wouldn't take me too long to find a large number of people who would give equal stupid answers...

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I can't help but finding it kinda sad that people with such an obvious lack of basic knowledge about what's going on in the world or in their own country, are allowed to vote...
I love my Airport Job! :)

L-188

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Quoting Bwest (Reply 14):
But where would you get your oil then?

ANWR???

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I can't help but finding it kinda sad that people with such an obvious lack of basic knowledge about what's going on in the world or in their own country, are allowed to vote...

Some states used to test to vote, but that was gotten rid of in the 1960's as democrats in the south where using those tests to prevent blacks from voting. There is a famous case where a consitutional law professor from Harvard (I think) failed one of these voting tests.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LYRFlyer

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:20 pm

But where would you get your oil then?

Not just Americans.. all of us... we all need the oil, don't we?  Smile
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

FlyingColours

Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Hahahahaha, Gotta love that.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
and reaches a potential cumulative audience of 100 billion people per week (source: Roy Morgan)

Wow so they must be counting ET in those figures since the population of Earth is less than 7 Billion (using the UK's figure for counting - thats not a stab at the US by the way its just you guys have 1 less number or so to make a million - I forget).

German Tourists  Smile I love the Germans but watch out because they will steal your sun loungers  Wink

The UK isn't that much better, we kept B-Liar in office when we could have given him the big boot....

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

ConcordeMach2

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:01 pm

As an American living in Britain, I am personally quite offended when I see things like this. The fact that the rest of the world takes so much pleasure in trying to make americans look like they have less brain cells than a slug is extremely difficult to laugh about when you have to put up with people who think this is obviously the truth every day.

Jeremy Clarkson did this on a recent DVD of his as well where he toured america. One of my friends who was watching it as well was certain that it was true because "Jeremy Clarkson would never lie".

I personally think that either they have filtered out the people who got the questions right or they have told each person what to answer with before the camera starts filming.

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting ConcordeMach2 (Reply 18):
I personally think that either they have filtered out the people who got the questions right or they have told each person what to answer with before the camera starts filming.

You should watch the current Italian edition of Big Brother. There are girls in there who actually think Chirac is the capital of Cuba, that most people in Israel are Muslims, and that Baghdad is the capital of Afghanistan. There are mentally challenged people everywhere

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Timology

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:30 pm

As an American living in Britain, I am personally quite offended when I see things like this. The fact that the rest of the world takes so much pleasure in trying to make americans look like they have less brain cells than a slug is extremely difficult to laugh about when you have to put up with people who think this is obviously the truth every day.

And what about you guys offending the rest of the world?
I truly hate this kind of arrogance from the Americans you see and hear every day.
The movie Eurotrip says it all, really...
"Arm in arm we are the harmless sociopaths"

ConcordeMach2

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:03 pm

I dont support any countries taking the piss out of other countries and I get just as pissed off when I hear Americans talking about British people all living in Mansions and eating cream teas at the Inn before the big hunt. The only thing is, a lot of the American views of different countries are not as patronising as the views of America (leaving the middle east out for now - I am totally against the war btw). Yes they might be small minded views but they are not nearly as offensive. Take Eurotrip for example, I think it was an incredibly annoying and stereotypical film but I didnt see much in it that really gave a bad image to the countries.
When Jeremy Clarkson did his trip to America to find out if British cars were better made than US cars, they "somehow" always won each test and he didnt have a single nice thing to say about any of the American stuff in there. Talk about small minded. America has a lot wrong with it but I would say no more than any other country.

LHStarAlliance

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:15 pm

Haha this is so good ! The Berlin Wall in Israel haha  spin 

50% of Americans between 18-50 don´t know if New York is a US City or not...( I read this on an Article in a German News Paper)

Well I don´t think all Americans are so stupid , but there are many ignorant people ... The Us government should invest more in Education ....

The War In Iraq Costs
$365,341,004,389

Instead, the US could have hired
6,331,403 (every minute 5+)
additional public school teachers for one year.

http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

baroque

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 2):
Yeah... I find them helpful though. I always appreciate English subtitles on English movies, just as a back-up, but I can see that a native speaker could find them annoying.

Er, where to start. This was done for an Australian audience, and we usually think we speak a da english. It represents what 2 or 3 minutes out of a series that went perhaps 400 minutes or possibly more. The Website is not unlike The Onion.

http://www.chaser.com.au/splash.asp

Their TV which is where the clip comes from is brilliant. You will not find all of it on U-tube alas because they have 3 DVDs of the series to sell.

Before our American friends take too much offense, one of the Chasers tricks is to mix in with the normal press corps and spring OUR (Aus) pollies with pretty outrageous sets of questions. Not many can cope, but some do cope reasonably well, including rather amazingly, Ruddock, the guy who on our side is with Howard responsible for keeping Hicks in Gitmo.

They ran a first series called CNNNN, with a studio much like a CNN studio, but you have to see it to find how funny CNN can be made to seem.

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 10):
I love these sorts of clips

Americans are not stupid, compared to the rest of the world. Of course they have only shown the dumbasses in this video.

http://www.chaser.com.au/index.php?p...6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=184
About $70 and 3 flat stones should see you with 3 DVDs. Had you really been in Oz, you would have seen the series on the ABC - Aunty.

They also have the surprise spruiker, who can be hilarious.

One of them was in court a couple of months ago defending against a charge for standing outside a League football ground "selling" kit for the fans consisting of things such as rubber knuckle dusters. He was acquitted, if not there might have been riots in the streets.

As I wrote above, don't take it personally, the Chaser boys have done far worse with other countries.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 7):
I am shocked and dismayed that anyone would take such a reputable news organization to task.

Well spotted AW. The CNNNN series was extremely good. It was their first, and as usual, probably they will never again reach those heights. But they are still pretty funny. And I will bet, that the CNNNN series has affected the way CNN runs its news, they will have tried to avoid some of the more glaring things that the Chaser boys picked up.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):
It doesn't help that the quizmaster labelled Australia incorrectly (and differently) each time. I'm not sure about the labelling of the other countries. I couldn't see them well.

I think ACM, you will find that not only was that done intentionally, but the spelling mistakes in the subtitles were carefully coordinated too. They might have been having a go there at SBS, who run a subtitling business in Aus, but are prone to spelling errors. Those guys do very little totally by chance.

And the general issue of geography as a matter for humour, well, that can be pretty much entirely attributed to the current PoTUS.
And as for the Assistant PoTUS, from the current Chaser News.
"Cheney to be greeted with weak-ticker-tape parade t
Thursday, 08 February 2007

Cheney - Australia gets his seal of 18% approval
U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney hopes to receive a luke-warm reception when he visits Australia later this month, to thank Australia for the thankless task of participating in the war in Iraq. Mr Cheney's tour will also incorporate Japan, Guam, and a number of "undisclosed locations".

Extraordinarily tight security will be in place to protect civilians in the event of Mr Cheney firing on them. "
"Mr Cheney said he acknowledged that Japan and Australia were drawing their commitment to an end, and hoped other countries would commit resources to Iraq. Unfortunately, Iran and Syria were the only countries to answer his call."  angel   angel 

LHStarAlliance

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:34 pm

Doona

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 23):
Extraordinarily tight security will be in place to protect civilians in the event of Mr Cheney firing on them. "

That would be... unfortunate.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

baroque

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting ConcordeMach2 (Reply 21):
I dont support any countries taking the piss out of other countries and I get just as pissed off when I hear Americans talking about British people all living in Mansions and eating cream teas at the Inn before the big hunt.

A great pity because quite a few Brits think it is very funny. Try watching "Keeping up Appearances".

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 24):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKMtLOKG8k

checkmark 
Oh yes, the "I am Mr Howard" interviews. I wonder which other of their gems are lurking in net space. And before someone tells us this is the new Borat, no it is a newer version of Norman Gunston which dates back to the mid seventies. In 1975, Gunston was on the Parliament Ho steps as Whitlam was sacked asking how the ratings were going on his show. Earlier he had interviewed a certain heavy weight boxer who announced he was the greatest and when Norman said he, Norman thought he was "pretty good too", was nearly assaulted by the great man.

Schoenorama

Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:41 pm

The guy asking who were the ones in the Middle East throwing rocks probably saw this vid:

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

BREmer

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:38 am

Stewpid fawlks can be found anywhere. Here is an example from Germany (German audio only...): Miss East Germany doesn't find East Germany on the map!  Smile

Cheers
Lukas

mdsh00

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting Timology (Reply 20):
The movie Eurotrip says it all, really...

What's funnier in that is that you actually take Eurotrip seriously.  Smile The only thing worthwile in that whole movie were the hot girls.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

L410Turbolet

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting BREmer (Reply 28):
Miss East Germany doesn't find East Germany on the map!

At least she is not confusing east/west with north/south (like the two geniuses that came after her)...

Dougloid

Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Timology (Reply 20):
And what about you guys offending the rest of the world?
I truly hate this kind of arrogance from the Americans you see and hear every day.

And you know all this because of what? Where are you that you see this every day? In school?

Does it occur to you that you, sir, are being arrogant and offensive? It's no different than my opinions of German tourists, but because of some maturity I keep them to myself. This you have yet to learn, being a schoolboy.

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 22):
Haha this is so good ! The Berlin Wall in Israel haha

50% of Americans between 18-50 don´t know if New York is a US City or not...( I read this on an Article in a German News Paper)

Well I don´t think all Americans are so stupid , but there are many ignorant people ... The Us government should invest more in Education ....

The War In Iraq Costs
$365,341,004,389

Instead, the US could have hired
6,331,403 (every minute 5+)
additional public school teachers for one year.

http://nationalpriorities.org/index....d=182

Has it ever occurred to you that education is something you go and get, not something that is poured in your callow ears?

http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/

Glass houses, people. Glass houses. You're living in the biggest one there is.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

yowza

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 4):

That was kind of the point. To demonstrate a total lack of knowledge.

This clip, and others like it, illustrate the ignorance of the American populous not their lack of intelligence. These are two different things. I can say that people in the US are, broadly speaking, the most ignorant in the developed world. Mainly from a lack of education. The map trick in the video demonstrates this, adults mistaking Australia for anything other than Australia is shocking. My 8 year old cousin can find pretty much any country on an unlabeled map and name its capital.

YOWza

LHStarAlliance

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:34 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 31):
Has it ever occurred to you that education is something you go and get, not something that is poured in your callow ears?

That´s completely right but invest in education will never hurt...

pelican

Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting BREmer (Reply 28):
Stewpid fawlks can be found anywhere. Here is an example from Germany (German audio only...): Miss East Germany doesn't find East Germany on the map!

Even worse those people who made the video claim that W. Thierse is East-Germany's most popular politician...  Yeah sure

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 31):
It's no different than my opinions of German tourists, but because of some maturity I keep them to myself.

Yeah sure You seem to have some serious issues. Just relax. maybe it's a comfort to you that most Germans could also not show where Iran is. There are stupid people everywhere.

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 22):

Climb down from your high horse. More than 60 per cent of the German population ( well of the sample) answered that the duty of the opposition is to support the government. That made me wonder whether people should be allowed to vote without knowing what they do  Wink

pelican

LHStarAlliance

Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 35):
Climb down from your high horse. More than 60 per cent of the German population ( well of the sample) answered that the duty of the opposition is to support the government.

Wow that´s much ... What a pity to see people who maybe are intelligent being so ignorant , I see it always at school ... (same for the US and all countries)

solnabo

Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:10 am

Americans are NOT stupid?

Well........I rest my case on that question.

Micke//  Wink
Airbus SAS - Love them both

cedars747

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting Rara (Thread starter):
Americans Are NOT Stupid

Of course not ! It's just they dont care

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

LHStarAlliance

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:27 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 39):
It's just they dont care

If you don´t care about things like the Berlin Wall or a country with U you´re stupid ... Wink

cedars747

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 40):
If you don´t care about things like the Berlin Wall or a country with U you´re stupid ...

Well,NO OIL in Berlin ! so no need to care about Berlin and the wall  Wink

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

pelican

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 41):
Well,NO OIL in Berlin ! so no need to care about Berlin and the wall

But there is oil in Iran  Wink

pelican

cedars747

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 42):
But there is oil in Iran

And Ahmadi Najadi as well  Wink

Alex!!!

cedars747

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 45):
Or about Nort Corea , Howard , The Axis of Evil , and so on

But you must admit that they gave us a new info about the existance of a country named UTAH  Wink

Alex!!!

LYRFlyer

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 42):
But there is oil in Iran

The oil that Germany needs

As a fellow European, I am so sick and tired of hearing how Bush just started the war to get all the oil  Yeah sure

As if the US is the only place on earth that uses oil  Yeah sure come oooon, you can do better than that!

[Edited 2007-02-10 23:36:24]

cedars747

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting LYRFlyer (Reply 47):
The oil that Germany uses every day

Well remember that both are Arians  Wink

Alex!!!

Twistedwhisper

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:43 am

Don't we hear enough about this on the Tonight show.... Yeah, so some people are stupid, I reckon you could find so pretty God damn stupid Germans or Frenchs too... or even Swedes, if you really put your mind to it...
Read between the lines.

LYRFlyer

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 48):
Well remember that both are Arians

and?

cedars747

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting LYRFlyer (Reply 50):
and?

They dont need to invade Iran to get the OIL  Wink

Alex!!!

LYRFlyer

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 51):
They dont need to invade Iran to get the OIL

That's not why the countries have been invaded to start with, so stop the b/s  Smile

cedars747

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting LYRFlyer (Reply 52):
That's not why the countries have been invaded to start with, so stop the b/s

OK,see you in Utopia
 Wink

Alex!!!

LYRFlyer

Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 53):
OK,see you in Utopia

Or in reality...?

[Edited 2007-02-10 23:59:30]