rootsair

How Would You Like A Moscow A.meet?

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:18 pm

Yesterday, in our Prague mini meet we discussed about the possibility of organiszing a Moscow meet which would be more of a city meet than spotting meet!
This years seems very tight for us so we'd leave it till 2008. Who of you would be interested in doing such a meet ?

I am ready to organize this however, if someone knows Moscow well that would be great help !

Thank you !

[Edited 2007-02-11 12:20:00]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Avianca

RE: How Would You Like A Moscow A.meet?

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:21 pm

sounds vey intresting.... even it is a little bit far away from CCS, but IB has good fares into Domodedevo....(spelled correct?).... but remember that the Russian Visas could be a problem...... anyway let me know

saludos
Avianca

[Edited 2007-02-11 12:28:47]
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

rootsair

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 1):
sounds vey intresting.... even it is a little bit far away from CCS, but IB has good fares into Domodedevo....(spelled correct).... but remember that the Russian Visas could be a problem...... anyway let me know

That's why I am anticipating so much on an eventual meet overthere! But I'm sure we could find enough people to join us there!

EDIT: http://www.visatorussia.com/russianvisa.nsf/visa_support.html

According to this website ,visas cost 30USD

[Edited 2007-02-11 12:26:04]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

PlymSpotter

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:30 pm

Yes, why not! There was a plan to have a Russian meet later this year, to fly some of the old Soviet airliners, but I'm not sure if that's going ahead still? Anyway, a city visit to Moscow sounds great, perhaps could also take a trip to St Petersburg.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

rootsair

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
Yes, why not! There was a plan to have a Russian meet later this year, to fly some of the old Soviet airliners, but I'm not sure if that's going ahead still? Anyway, a city visit to Moscow sounds great, perhaps could also take a trip to St Petersburg.

Yirina and Zruda have spoken about a Ukraine meet which would include a visit to Tchernobyl! However if that meet isn't going on we could leave it for 2008 so that we can have more than enough time to plan this.

Avianca

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 2):
EDIT: http://www.visatorussia.com/russianv....html

Braulio, thanks for the link.... are the

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 4):
meet which would include a visit to Tchernobyl!

are you sure there would be alot of participants..... I doubt it.... also if its a historic place.... there is still too much radioactiv air (and some more) arround....
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

Airdolomiti

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:38 pm

A Moscow meet would be fantastic, having stayed there for a month recently that city has a special place in my memory. If time allows, count me in!  Cool

Federico

rootsair

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 5):
are you sure there would be alot of participants..... I doubt it.... also if its a historic place.... there is still too much radioactiv air (and some more) arround....

Well i don't know about it. What concerns me I'd never set a foot anywhere close to that place !

PlymSpotter

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:40 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 4):
Yirina and Zruda have spoken about a Ukraine meet which would include a visit to Tchernobyl!

Yes that was to be on of the highlights I seem to remember. I think I started the idea months ago when I decided spontaneously to take a trip there and asked on here if anyone wanted to come along too, not surprisingly at such short notice nobody could, so I decided to leave it too. Would be nice to fly Aeroflot to Moscow yes 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

RJ100

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:52 pm

Moscow is a great place Braulio, and I might join you once the plans are clear and I am in town. Visa are easy to get but cost a fee. However it is worth it!
The bigger problem is to get hotel rooms for a good price.

You should combine it with some flights if possible. Aeroflot flies you to LED and back for around 100 Euros or why not making a trip over to the Volga and Oka rivers, Sibir alias S7.ru flies you to Nizhny Novgorod and back for as low as 40 Euros if booked early.

Cheers,

Thomas
none

QANTAS077

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:55 pm

I'd love to but i can tell you from now Moscow is one hell of an expensive city, summer time would have to be the only option.

rootsair

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 9):
Moscow is a great place Braulio, and I might join you once the plans are clear and I am in town. Visa are easy to get but cost a fee. However it is worth it!
The bigger problem is to get hotel rooms for a good price.

You should combine it with some flights if possible. Aeroflot flies you to LED and back for around 100 Euros

It would be nice to finally meet you up ! I really look forward to goin to Moscow. This meet would either take place in March or End of May/June 2008.

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 9):
Sibir alias S7.ru flies you to Nizhny Novgorod and back for as low as 40 Euros if booked early.

What type of a/c do they fly there ?

nighthawk

Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:38 pm

a few folk have expressed interest in a chernobyl meet, ive got a list of names of those interested, so hopefully in thje summer we can go there Big grin

Chernobyl is perfectly safe, the levels of radiation are well below what is considered dangerous, and tours of the area can easily be arranged. Concrete does not retain radiation, so as long as you stay on the roads you are fine. The grass is still radioactive as are the buildings, so you need to avoid these. Apart from that it is safe.

Oh yea, im up for a Moscow meet, russia is a place I would love to visit, although I may be going there this summer so this year would be better than next year. Save those pennies!

RJ100

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:44 pm

As for now Sibir flies the TU-134 in the morning and the 737 in the evening on that route. Aeroflot has the TU-154 and TU-134 on the SVO-LED-SVO runs.

Regards
none

rootsair

Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 13):
As for now Sibir flies the TU-134 in the morning and the 737 in the evening on that route. Aeroflot has the TU-154 and TU-134 on the SVO-LED-SVO runs.

Regards

wow now that would certainly be something !!!!!!!!!!!

Superfly

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:39 am

RootsAir:
From an aviation standpoint, Russia is amazing. I was in Moscow last year and SVO is a spotters paradise. Just about every aircraft type you could imagine.
I was lucky enough to meet up with Tu204. He was my tour guide, translator and bodyguard.
One of the highlights going to the boneyard across the road from SVO and sitting on the wing of an IL-86 and drinking vodka at the same time.
Although my stay in Moscow was only for two days, there was no down time. We packed a lot in to that short period of time. I wish I had more time to fly the TU-134 to St. Petersburg.
I did watch a TU-134 take off. Those aircraft sound spectacular!
 bigthumbsup 

Getting a hotel can be tricky. I had made reservations and the hotel canceled my reservation a week later because they found someone else wiling to pay a higher price. Yep, that happened twice. Getting your hotel and invitation letter is required to get your visa.

Try to meet up with Tu204 while your in Moscow.
Fun guy to hang out with, knowledgeable of Moscow and aircraft and fluent in English. I had a great time.
I even got a Sheremetyevo ramp rat vest as a souvenir

I flew to Moscow via Aeroflot IL-96, left on a TU-154.
Read more about that on my trip report. Superfly Completes Trip Around The World (by Superfly Jul 10 2006 in Trip Reports)

Being a Latin American, you may want to watch out for these people if you visit Russia.

http://mosnews.com/commentary/2006/02/14/foreignerslive.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2131214.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3250488.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3047420.stm

http://www.rickross.com/reference/skinheads/skinheads49.html

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle...c-d61d-40f5-8599-96e220df54e1.html

Bring back the Concorde

Aeroflot777

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:52 am

Oh Larry, you really seem to like putting people off of coming to Mosow due to these skinhead people.

All I can say is DON'T WORRY!!!

They can be scary, even for locals like me. However when you are traveling in a group, they are highly unlikely to do anything. All in all skinheads are pussies. They are scared of crowds, and are actually quite weak when it comes to battling with them. Just don't walk around weird neighborhoods by yourselves, and you will be fine for SURE.
Places lke downtown and all tourist areas are very safe, millions of people from all over teh world, and police everywhere.

If you have Yirina and Zruda, you should be in ever better hands. If I recall, Yirina also knows a little Russian.
If your trip will be during th summer, which is probably the best time to go, I will most likely be there. If I'm there, you can most definitely count on me taking you around all of Moscow and whereever you want to go.
Nightlife is also quite a sight in Moscow.

But be prepared, Moscow is EXTREMELY expensive city. Even going about and beyond London and Paris.

Aeroflot777

Superfly

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 16):
Oh Larry, you really seem to like putting people off of coming to Mosow due to these skinhead people.

Not true at all. If that were the case, I wouldn't have went myself. I knew about the problem before I visited.
I did mention that I had a great time.
People like to know the pros & cons of every place they visit. Wouldn't you?
This is not an attack on Russia or Russian people.
Bring back the Concorde

rootsair

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):

Not true at all. If that were the case, I wouldn't have went myself. I knew about the problem before I visited.
I did mention that I had a great time.
People like to know the pros & cons of every place they visit. Wouldn't you?
This is not an attack on Russia or Russian people.

Very complete resumé of Russia. anyways an a.net meeting there would jsut be amazing.honestly!

Superfly

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 18):
Very complete resumé of Russia. anyways an a.net meeting there would jsut be amazing.honestly!

Agreed!
The larger the group, the better!
I wish I could have seen Monino. After the 10.5 hour flight from Bangkok and only 3 hours of sleep the night before, I slept too late. Monino closes early.
I'd like to join you all but I don't have the luxury of time like I did last year.
Bring back the Concorde

dba4u

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:34 am

Moscow? Sure, always wanted to visit that place.

BTW, I thought that the idea of a Chernobyl meet was dead, but as it obviously isn't I just want to confirm my interest as long as the dates are fitting.

rootsair

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting Dba4U (Reply 20):

BTW, I thought that the idea of a Chernobyl meet was dead, but as it obviously isn't I just want to confirm my interest as long as the dates are fitting.

contact Yirina77, Zruda or JRadier. They are the ones who I'm sure are going this summer!

By the way David, I hope you're doing well. It would be nice to meet you in moscow after our BCN meet !
CHEERS

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:38 am

Like mentioned,Chernobyl is perfectly safe. I would also love to go there.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

kbfispotter

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:19 am

Count me in for Moscow... I was going to go last year, but it got too expensive. I hope to go next year. So a meet would be perfect!

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

Leezyjet

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:54 am

Count me in, I've always wanted to go to Russia, and I'm sure Captain Ben would be up for it too. He is quite into those noisy old Russian death trap's  Wink

I just have one request well 2 actually, to fly on a Tu-154 whilst I'm there, oh and I'd like to see the Tu-144 if there is one that is near Moscow.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

BMIFlyer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
This years seems very tight for us so we'd leave it till 2008. Who of you would be interested in doing such a meet ?

Certainly I would attend Big grin

however, I find the requirements for a Tourist Visa to Russia very confusing  frown 

I mean, eh??

From http://www.great-britain.mid.ru/www.rusemblon.org/index.htm

To get a Tourist Visa to Russia you should submit the following paperwork to the Russian Consulate (London):

1. A completed visa application form obtainable (free of charge) from the Consulate or from any travel agencies.

2. A valid original 10-year passport with at least one blank page.

3. One recent passport size photo stapled twice to the upper-right corner of the application form.

4. An original Tourist Voucher from a British (Russian) travel agency stamped and signed by an authorized person.

5. A standard Tourist Confirmation (in Russian language) of acceptance from the authorized Russian travel agency or a hotel, registered with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The confirmation must contain the agency’s reference number and registration number.

6. A standard covering letter from your travel agency in the UK (for the tourist agents only).
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

N666FU

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 11):
Quoting RJ100 (Reply 9):
Sibir alias S7.ru flies you to Nizhny Novgorod and back for as low as 40 Euros if booked early.

What type of a/c do they fly there ?

Lots of 134's on that route. Also, right now Volga Dnepr with a Yak40, UTair with an AN24, and Tatarstan with a 134. Can't find them in the summer schedules tho, just S7.

MAKS is also in the summer this year, right?

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 16):
I will most likely be there. If I'm there, you can most definitely count on me taking you around all of Moscow and whereever you want to go.

Your ass better be there THIS summer. You'll have a crazy American (maybe two!) and one retarded Swiss-Argentinian-American-Cuban-Scot to take care of!  Wink
KEPT DELTA OUR DELTA! Ask USAirPlatinum about it!

Aeroflot777

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:01 am

Quoting N666FU (Reply 26):

Your ass better be there THIS summer. You'll have a crazy American (maybe two!) and one retarded Swiss-Argentinian-American-Cuban-Scot to take care of! Wink

If I can figure out some legal crap with the army, then I will most DEFINITELY be there to take care of all of you guys, lmao. No questions asked. Last year was just too good!

Aeroflot777

rootsair

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 25):
Certainly I would attend Big grin

however, I find the requirements for a Tourist Visa to Russia very confusing frown

I mean, eh??

From http://www.great-britain.mid.ru/www.rusemblon.org/index.htm

To get a Tourist Visa to Russia you should submit the following paperwork to the Russian Consulate (London):

1. A completed visa application form obtainable (free of charge) from the Consulate or from any travel agencies.

2. A valid original 10-year passport with at least one blank page.

3. One recent passport size photo stapled twice to the upper-right corner of the application form.

4. An original Tourist Voucher from a British (Russian) travel agency stamped and signed by an authorized person.

5. A standard Tourist Confirmation (in Russian language) of acceptance from the authorized Russian travel agency or a hotel, registered with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The confirmation must contain the agency’s reference number and registration number.

6. A standard covering letter from your travel agency in the UK (for the tourist agents only).

As though a westener would want to stay living in Russia illegally  Sad

BMIFlyer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 28):
As though a westener would want to stay living in Russia illegally

I know, but I mean I really do want to visit, but this sorta puts me off the idea.

I'll visit the consulate when i'm in London in 2 weeks, i'll see what they tell me.

Lee

RJ100

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:59 pm

It isn't as bad as it sounds though. Just go to a local travel agency and they will do the paperwork for you.

What you need is an invitation (that's what you get from the travel agency), fill out the application form (takes 10 minutes) and send it together with your passport to the consulate. Cheapest visa takes approx. two weeks.

Much better than Russians visiting Switzerland I think: They need a Swiss visa (sucks big time to apply for), a visa for the Schengen countries (if visiting some nearby countries) and maybe even a transit visa if flying via FRA, VIE etc.

Regards
none

BMIFlyer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 30):

Thanks Thomas  Smile

rootsair

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 30):

What you need is an invitation (that's what you get from the travel agency), fill out the application form (takes 10 minutes) and send it together with your passport to the consulate. Cheapest visa takes approx. two weeks.

its a shame because this implies paying extra for travel agency service. i have gotten rid of the habit of reserving tickets via a travel agency due to internet bookings for hotels and flights thanks to which I usually save up quite a lot of money (eg: once to go to CR I had to pay 150 Franc fee to the travel agency...too much for me ! )

zruda

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 32):

I also hate the idea of giving money to travel agencies, but I guess I will do it this time, as without it the visa obtaining procedures can be a real PITA.

As for Chernobyl meet, we have already dediced it will be August this year, will found a thread in a moment and we can discuss dates there.
there is no coincidence

dba4u

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 21):

Oh yeah, just took a little break. Are you going to ZRH in June? Still unsure if I should attend

N666FU

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 27):
If I can figure out some legal crap with the army, then I will most DEFINITELY be there to take care of all of you guys, lmao. No questions asked. Last year was just too good!

Repeat after me:

I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America....  Wink

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 28):
As though a westener would want to stay living in Russia illegally

Why not? It's just as free as the US recently. Big grin

however, I find the requirements for a Tourist Visa to Russia very confusing

It's not really, just a bit or work.

Buy an invite from http://www.besthotelsrussia.com
$25 USD last I checked.

Fill out visa application on the Russian Consulate website. (it's a bit like a job application) Apply for a wider range of dates than what you intend to go for. You can arrive later and leave earlier, but you will not be allowed entry before the date on your visa...and you don't wanna deal with staying beyond it.

Take (or mail) the invite, the application, passport, $100 fee (cashiers check or money order) and anything else you need to one of the Russian Consulate.

Give it at LEAST two weeks, but I wouldn't file less than a month to be safe.

Quoting Zruda (Reply 33):
As for Chernobyl meet, we have already dediced it will be August this year, will found a thread in a moment and we can discuss dates there.

That's when a bunch of us were thinking about going, and we were looking at a Kiev side trip...If that all come about, count us in.

JRadier

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Zruda (Reply 33):

Chernobyl/Pripyat Meet - August 2007 (by Zruda Feb 13 2007 in Non Aviation)
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

Superfly

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:31 am

It cost us U.S. citizens $100.00.

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 24):
He is quite into those noisy old Russian death trap's

Russian planes are marvelous machines!  bigthumbsup 
Bring back the Concorde

N666FU

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:43 am

I just have one request well 2 actually, to fly on a Tu-154 whilst I'm there,

That wont be a problem...If you're gonna do it, try for a 154B (pretty rare) Aeroflot-Don still has some.

oh and I'd like to see the Tu-144 if there is one that is near Moscow.

The Concordski? Monino would prolly be your best bet. About 1.30 outside of Moscow by overland train.

rootsair

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:53 am

Quoting Dba4U (Reply 34):
Oh yeah, just took a little break. Are you going to ZRH in June? Still unsure if I should attend

no man, no more meets for 2007, final med school exams! That really sux, so i am looking forward to be free of them to attend meets!

Take care
BM

miamiair

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 22):
Chernobyl is perfectly safe

Not.

But with precautions, it is relatively safe.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

JRadier

Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 40):
But with precautions, it is relatively safe.

safe enough  Wink. Shall we discuss Moscow and Chernobyl in their respective threads?
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

rootsair

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Dba4U (Reply 34):

no man, no more meets for 2007, final med school exams! That really sux, so i am looking forward to be free of them to attend meets!

Take care
BM

rootsair

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 41):
safe enough Wink. Shall we discuss Moscow and Chernobyl in their respective threads?

I heard russia is a great place for Ballet dancing !

Go3Team

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:10 am

I'd like to do a Moscow meet. I looked up some fares from London not too long ago to do a side trip, and the fares were really high. Maybe coming straight from the US would be cheaper. I'd also be interested in a Chernobyl meet, but August is too soon for me. Still busting my ass to save for Vegas, Iceland, and Birmingham.
Yay Pudding!

RJ100

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:31 am

Burke, it might be cheaper to get a good fare to Germany and then taking one of the Germanwings flights over to Vnukovo.

Just an idea though.

Cheers,
Thomas  Smile
none

Go3Team

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 45):
Burke, it might be cheaper to get a good fare to Germany and then taking one of the Germanwings flights over to Vnukovo.

I just did a random search and came up with a decent C fare from RIC via IAD, FRA with UA then to SVO with LH. All I need right now are some dates.  Smile
Yay Pudding!

Superfly

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:39 am

RJ100:
Is Aeroflot sending any Soviet/Russian planes to western Europe?
I saw there TU-154 in Athens and I flew there TU-154 to Istanbul, but I know that's not western Europe.
Bring back the Concorde

RJ100

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:49 am

Yes, but they get rare, some are used on the German routes, but they become more and more rare...UTAir is flying the TU-154 from Munich to Tyumen if someone is interested  Wink

regards
none

Superfly

Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:05 am

I've seen the IL-96 in Salzberg in the database.
I am sure UTAir is cheaper than Aeroflot.

If your flying to Russia, flying on there aircraft is a must.  yes 
Bring back the Concorde