OU812
Topic Author

John Edwards: Hurt By Anti-Christian Comments?

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:18 pm

Bill O' Reilly exposes John Edwards Anti-Christain Bloggers!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251693,00.html

John Edwards and His Extreme Team

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

By Bill O'Reilly

Edwards is currently paying Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan, two very far left individuals, to work the Internet for him. And Edwards knows that these two women have attacked Christianity in very irresponsible ways.

For example, and here it comes, ladies and gentlemen, on June 14, 2006, Ms. Marcotte wrote, "What if Mary had taken Plan B (birth control) after the Lord filled her with his hot, white, sticky Holy Spirit."

And on February 21st, 2006, Ms. McEwan attacked religious conservatives, saying, "What don't you lousy motherf---s understand about keeping your noses out of our britches, our beds, and our families?"

On January 21st, Marcotte convicted the Duke lacrosse players on her blog, writing, "Can't a few white boys sexually assault a black woman anymore without people getting all wound up about it?"

There's no question that Internet assassins like Marcotte and McEwan are all over the place these days, but "Talking Points" has never seen people this extreme hired by a major political candidate. This is all about judgment -- or lack thereof.

Finally, I have nothing against John Edwards. He seems intelligent and sincere, but this isn't a difficult issue. These women are Christian haters. And it's hard to believe that Edwards continues to stand by them, but it's true. And you should know it.

And that's "The Memo."

Watch "The Memo"
http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player...king%20Points&-1&Opinion&120&&&exp

[Edited 2007-02-14 14:19:20]

aace24

RE: John Edwards: Hurt By Anti-Christian Comments?

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:27 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2AE847UXu3Q

John Edwards is hurt when the wind blows his hair out of place.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting OU812 (Thread starter):
For example, and here it comes, ladies and gentlemen, on June 14, 2006, Ms. Marcotte wrote, "What if Mary had taken Plan B (birth control) after the Lord filled her with his hot, white, sticky Holy Spirit."

rotfl 

And on February 21st, 2006, Ms. McEwan attacked religious conservatives, saying, "What don't you lousy motherf---s understand about keeping your noses out of our britches, our beds, and our families?"

I fully agree with this statement.

On January 21st, Marcotte convicted the Duke lacrosse players on her blog, writing, "Can't a few white boys sexually assault a black woman anymore without people getting all wound up about it?"

This is just wrong. We're actually talking criminally charging somebody with something they didn't do.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

aloges

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:32 pm

Quote:
"What don't you lousy motherf---s understand about keeping your noses out of our britches, our beds, and our families?"

I wouldn't use the language, but the point is very, very true.  duck 

Quote:
"Can't a few white boys sexually assault a black woman anymore without people getting all wound up about it?"

rotfl  It's disturbingly wrong, yet funny...  flamed 

Quote:
Finally, I have nothing against John Edwards. He seems intelligent and sincere, but this isn't a difficult issue. These women are Christian haters. And it's hard to believe that Edwards continues to stand by them, but it's true. And you should know it.

Yup, definitely. And I'd have nothing against George Bush if I told people the devil works for him. Nice try, Bill O'Reilly, but your history says otherwise. You have a problem with everyone not agreeing with fundamentalist neocon "Christian" values. As a matter of fact, any attack on O'Reilly's abuse of my religion is commendable.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

aace24

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:32 pm

My thoughts exactly.

Signed, MD-90

OU812
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
It's disturbingly wrong, yet funny...

Your reply is utterly disturbing & not in the least bit funny. Have you ever thought how the players & families of the Duke lacrosse players feel? Obviously not! Which is sad! Their sons lives have been tarnished by lies. Yet, you can only laugh & show no concern for these victim & justice. Your parents should be so proud of you!

While these individuals have a right to express their opinions. The way in which they conducted themselves is irresponsible. Their anger & hatred is obvious & upsetting!

http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?idarticle=7887

A list of anti-Catholic posts by Edwards' bloggers

Following is an uncensored selection of the anti-Christian writings of John Edwards' staffers Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan as compiled by the Catholic League. The remarks contained at this link are graphic, vulgar and obscene.

OU812
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Quote:
"What don't you lousy motherf---s understand about keeping your noses out of our britches, our beds, and our families?"

I wouldn't use the language, but the point is very, very true.

Another wonderful reply by Aloges!

Have these two young ladies ever heard of Radical Islam? Christians send their children to College, not to plow themselves up to kill innocent man, women & children in Israel!

Disgraceful!

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 5):

Following is an uncensored selection of the anti-Christian writings of John Edwards' staffers Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan as compiled by the Catholic League. The remarks contained at this link are graphic, vulgar and obscene.

I see nothing offensive on that page. Of course the Catholic League has an agenda they need to follow, and can't take criticism. Do they use excessive language? Possibly, but yet, their points are still valid.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

halls120

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 6):
Quote:

I wouldn't use the language, but the point is very, very true.

I see nothing wrong with Aloges' post. While the Edwards blogger's use of language is reprehensible, their message is spot on. I don't want religion anywhere in my home trying to regulate what I do in bed, what I watch on TV, and how I raise my children.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

NASCARAirforce

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 pm

What is the difference? Karl Rove, Bush's advisor referred to James Dobson and other Christian leaders as "the Religious nuts" on many occassions behind their backs.

Although I disagree with Marcotte and McEwan personally, they have a right to say what they did and it will still do well with the people who would read Edward's blogs anyway.

I don't think Edwards will be hurt by it in the long run, because most of the people that would vote for him agree with those comments. It might just affect the swing voters if he ever made it to the finals, which he won't. He has bigger things to worry about like Hillary and Obama.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 8):
I see nothing wrong with Aloges' post. While the Edwards blogger's use of language is reprehensible, their message is spot on. I don't want religion anywhere in my home trying to regulate what I do in bed, what I watch on TV, and how I raise my children.

Spot on!

co7772wuh

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 2):

I do not see Christians doing anything to warrant such vile attacks. There is nothing wrong with Christians expressing their views. And when they do, they do it civilly. What these to people are saying is: "Shut up, we don't want to hear it." However, both parties need to be heard. But, that's not what these 2 people want. And that's what wrong!

John Edwards hurt his chances hiring these 2 bone headed extremists! I did not hold Edward's in high regard prior this outrage. Now, I see what he's really all about!

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting CO7772WUH (Reply 11):
I do not see Christians doing anything to warrant such vile attacks. There is nothing wrong with Christians expressing their views. And when they do, they do it civilly. What these to people are saying is: "Shut up, we don't want to hear it." However, both parties need to be heard. But, that's not what these 2 people want. And that's what wrong!

Civilly? Burning down abortion clinics, demonstrating at funerals, attacking anybody not agreeing with them...

NASCARAirforce

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 12):
Civilly? Burning down abortion clinics, demonstrating at funerals, attacking anybody not agreeing with them...

There is quite a difference between Christians and Fanatical weirdos though.

first of all, I do NOT know of any Denomination of Christianity that condones burning down abortion clinics. There are your periodic weirdo fanatics like Eric Rudolph who does, he claimed to be catholic. Just like terrorists don't represent all muslims, Abortion bombers do not represent all Christians.

The Demonstrators at the Military Funerals are being done by a Bizarre cult called the "Westboro Baptist Church" or something made up of 50 uneducated members. The Baptist denomination is suing them for putting the word "Baptist" in their name. I have heard these people from the Westboro group try to speak, they definitely sound like some sort of brainwashed cult with fucked up ideas.

Attacking anybody that doesn't agree with them? Who doesn't do it? While we all should be open minded, when hasn't one of us started yelling at someone on here that we don't agree with? I do that to OU812 all the time on this board. Just as we have a right to say a statement, another person does have the first amendement right to disagree... as long as it doesn't become physical.

OU812
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:49 pm

While the Edwards blogger's use of language is reprehensible, their message is spot on. I don't want religion anywhere in my home trying to regulate what I do in bed, what I watch on TV, and how I raise my children.

Where are Christians trying to encroach on you as you are insinuating? I do not see them, seeing you as an Infidel, with the attitude of you are either you are one of us or you die!

redflag DISCRACEFUL COMMENT  redflag 

Shirley you can't be serious?

Not only is your comments untrue, it's completely hypocritical as well on the part of the people you are sticking up for! These people you say are responsible for such outrageous acts do not represent Christians and you know that. What you are suggesting is sickening!

vomit 

aloges

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 5):
Have you ever thought how the players & families of the Duke lacrosse players feel? Obviously not!

How do you know that? Can you read my mind in some, err, disturbing sort of way? Or are you just, dare I say, stereotyping? I actually can distinguish between a twisted sense of humour and the real-world tragedies it parodies.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 5):
Your parents should be so proud of you!

Leave my family out of a.net.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 6):
Have these two young ladies ever heard of Radical Islam?

Again, you're stereotyping. Have the two women said anywhere that they condone "Muslim" extremists? In that case, you'd have a point. Your very own quote shows that they didn't attack Christians in particular, but

Quote:
attacked religious conservatives, saying, "What don't you lousy motherf---s understand about keeping your noses out of our britches, our beds, and our families?"

It just happens that the people who feel upset about it are mostly "Christian" fundamentalists who'd make the Biblical Jesus turn in his grave with their hatred and bigotry.

The inquisition a couple of centuries back wasn't that "civil" either, yet it took the Church hundreds of years to finally ask for forgiveness.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 14):
DISCRACEFUL COMMENT

a) get some spelling lessons
b) look in the mirror

[Edited 2007-02-14 15:54:27]

co7772wuh

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:56 pm

DISCRACEFUL COMMENT

@KaiGywer

You're out of F-ing line!!!

Do you not know the difference between nut, wacko-cults and Christians?  no 

What do your think of Radical Islam?

N666FU

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:57 pm

John Edwards: Hurt By Anti-Christian Comments?

Nope. Remember the Edwards Wal Mart "scandal"? No one else does either.

Funny how "anti-Catholic" becomes "anti-Christian" when there's a Democrat to smear!

She's right.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 5):

Following is an uncensored selection of the anti-Christian writings of John Edwards' staffers Amanda Marcotte and Melissa McEwan as compiled by the Catholic League.

I'm going to ask you, OU812, its it anti Catholic or anti Christian? Because last I checked, the die hard Christian right doesn't think too kindly of Catholics either. It just seems like the right wing noise machine is including Catholics this time because it's convenient.  Yeah sure
KEPT DELTA OUR DELTA! Ask USAirPlatinum about it!

OU812
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am

I'm sad!

ashamed 

OU812
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:05 am

I can't believe all the anti-Christian BS emanating from the left! I may be wrong, but it appears that the left has more anger towards Christians than they do Radical Islam!

Where's the Tylenol?

faint 

Joni

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:16 am

This whole "Mary was a virgin" concept is based on a misunderstanding. The writers of the New Testament wrote that Jesus was born "of virgin" in order to make it look like Jesus was fulfilling an Old Testament prophecy, but in fact the relevant Old Testament passage only says that the person should be born of a "young woman", not a virgin.

Another point, of course, is that virgin birth has never been observed in humans. The Komodo dragons demonstrated it last Christmas, however.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 13):
There is quite a difference between Christians and Fanatical weirdos though.

These people you say are responsible for such outrageous acts do not represent Christians

Quoting CO7772WUH (Reply 16):
Do you not know the difference between nut, wacko-cults and Christians?

So I might have picked on the fundamentalist side of this. However, it still stands true that some people are doing all these things in the name of Christianity. I know perfectly well that not all Christians are like this.

OlegShv

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:19 am

Ahh, it's the OU again.

Well, how about those religios people insulting atheists in very irresponsible ways by mentioning God doing stuff all over the place? Shouldn't they just shut up as O'Reilly suggests?

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 2):

Well, the language is kind of rough, but she's spot on. The point is that you can't legislate family values and high moral based on a single religious doctrine.

What the heck does that have to do religious conservatives? Is O'Reilly out of his mind? If there was a sexual assault - it's wrong no matter what.

aloges

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 19):
I can't believe all the anti-Christian BS emanating from the left!

What? Just because we don't agree with O'Reilly's and your tirades against anyone criticising radical "Christians" we're spewing "bullshit"? I'm a Christian myself, yet a) I don't abuse that as a justification to tell others what to call their deity of choice and b) I have no problem at all with people criticising my church and its ways. I do that myself, actually - there are a few "despites" of which I'm a member of an organised religion.

I may be wrong, but it appears that the left has more anger towards Christians than they do Radical Islam!

Yeah right. At least my anger, and I'd venture to say that of most others, is directed at fundamentalists who abuse religions for their political powerplays. I just don't see much of a point in condemning radical "Muslims" in a thread about radical "Christians" - it would be difficult if the thread was about radicals in general.

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:47 am

Who is Shirley? Is that Kai Gwyer's first name?

Quoting N666FU (Reply 17):
She's right.

Yeah but she could have done it more tactfully. Even though I am Anti Abortion (with exception of rape/incest cases), and she has a right to her opinion, she should have spoke with a little more tact because she probably knew it would come back and bite her in the ass some day.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 18):
I'm sad!

You said it, not me.  Big grin

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 21):
So I might have picked on the fundamentalist side of this. However, it still stands true that some people are doing all these things in the name of Christianity. I know perfectly well that not all Christians are like this.

There are a lot of lunatics out there who claim to be Christians... after all, we do have a president who tells us that "God told him to invade Iraq" and "God told him to face Al Qaida" etc.

There are a lot of Fundamentalist Christians that look down on other Christians for not being as fundamentalist as them. Despite me being a Christian ie believing Jesus died for my sins and all, there are those out there who think I am going to hell just because I don't speak in tongues. There is a lack of unity due to far too many denominations out there, but at least we are not killing each other like Shiites and Sunnis.

I do however believe that WE have a FREEWILL and I believe in the Separation of Church and State, might be unusual coming from a Christian like myself to say that, but it protects both the Church and the State (ie the church should not tell the government what to do, and the government should not tell the church what to do.)

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 24):
Who is Shirley? Is that Kai Gwyer's first name?

He's quoting "Airplane"  Smile

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 24):
I do however believe that WE have a FREEWILL and I believe in the Separation of Church and State, might be unusual coming from a Christian like myself to say that, but it protects both the Church and the State (ie the church should not tell the government what to do, and the government should not tell the church what to do.)

Exactly. I live my life the way I want (straight, not planning on abortions), but I still believe that gays should have equal right, and women should be able to have an abortion if they want to.

halls120

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:54 am

While the Edwards blogger's use of language is reprehensible, their message is spot on. I don't want religion anywhere in my home trying to regulate what I do in bed, what I watch on TV, and how I raise my children.

Where are Christians trying to encroach on you as you are insinuating?

You're kidding, right?

http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=3655
http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=3636
http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=3647
http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=3652

Just for starters.

Before you accuse me of being a left wing secularist, I'm not. I am a passionate defender of the Bill of Rights, which means I am just as uncomfortable with the left's campaign to remove all vestiges of religion from public life as I am of the right's attempts to force right wing Christian doctrine on to all facets of public life.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

kevi747

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 22):
What the heck does that have to do religious conservatives?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to be confused by all of this.

Really, what on Earth does that comment have to do with attacking Christianity? If those guys did it or not, I still don't see the connection. Were they also priests or something?

That's the kind of attack on religious conservatives I can get behind. In fact, if you find that comment offensive (for anything other than the use of foul language) doesn't that prove that you DO want to meddle in other people's private affairs? And that getting called out on it has upset you?

Quoting OU812 (Reply 6):

Have these two young ladies ever heard of Radical Islam? Christians send their children to College, not to plow themselves up to kill innocent man, women & children in Israel!

confused  What?

I can't believe all the anti-Christian BS emanating from the left! I may be wrong, but it appears that the left has more anger towards Christians than they do Radical Islam!

Oh, nevermind. That cleared it up.  sarcastic 
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 26):
Before you accuse me of being a left wing secularist, I'm not. I am a passionate defender of the Bill of Rights, which means I am just as uncomfortable with the left's campaign to remove all vestiges of religion from public life as I am of the right's attempts to force right wing Christian doctrine on to all facets of public life.

Exactly.

I am one who likes to mind my own business when it comes to Religion. I am a Christian - I believe in the basic Jesus died for my sins, my personal savior etc., however I don't think that I should push it on someone who believes differently.

I want the Government to protect my right to be a Christian, but I don't want them to try to force Christian ideals on everyone.

I have a split oppinion on the ACLU:

I applaud the ACLU when they go after Bush for his pissing on the Constitution,

However I condemn the ACLU when they go after a little kid in class at school just for talking about being a Christian

N666FU

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:05 am

I'm Catholic. I don't have a problem with any of this. I don't need you speaking for me.

Quoting OU812 (Reply 18):
I'm sad!

Yes...You are.

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:22 am

Is this the same Bill O'Reilly who repeated claims that one missing and exploited and raped child, Sean Hornbeck, was having fun during his nightmare of captivity?

The same Bill O'Reilly who was invited to be the keynote speaker at a high-priced fundraiser for the Center for Missing and Exploited Children?

Yups, seems so.
International Homo of Mystery

Mir

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:50 am

You know, that's actually a very good point!  Smile

Where are Christians trying to encroach on you as you are insinuating? I do not see them, seeing you as an Infidel, with the attitude of you are either you are one of us or you die!

Gay marriage bans, trying to teach creationism in science classes, trying to ban abortion, protesting (i.e. celebrating) the funerals of slain soldiers, etc. Halls had some other good examples.

Not only is your comments untrue, it's completely hypocritical as well on the part of the people you are sticking up for! These people you say are responsible for such outrageous acts do not represent Christians and you know that. What you are suggesting is sickening!

Just like terrorists do not represent Muslims, right? As long as they wave the Christian banner while they're spewing their shit, they're going to be associated with Christians. Want to have less people angry at Christians? How about going after Focus on the Family, Westboro, and others who are giving them a bad name?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

padraighaz

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:15 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251693,00.html

John Edwards and His Extreme Team

If the bloggers did indeed write that stuff they should be gotten rid of.

However, what's funny here is:

There's no question that Internet assassins like Marcotte and McEwan are all over the place these days, but "Talking Points" has never seen people this extreme hired by a major political candidate. This is all about judgment -- or lack thereof.

which of course is total nonsense since O'Reilly and his bottom feeder audience seem to have no problem with the Swift Boat smear campaigners that now work for McCain.

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 30):
Is this the same Bill O'Reilly who repeated claims that one missing and exploited and raped child, Sean Hornbeck, was having fun during his nightmare of captivity?

Yes and the same Bill O'Reilly who accused Terri Schaivo's husband of abusing Terri Schaivo causing her to end up in the condition that she was, and that he wanted to pull the plugs on her so she didn't speak up if she did ever come to.

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
Gay marriage bans, trying to teach creationism in science classes, trying to ban abortion, protesting (i.e. celebrating) the funerals of slain soldiers, etc. Halls had some other good examples.

Celebrating the funerals of slain soldiers is Westboro Baptist only- they are a cult of about 50 nutjobs. They are not recognized by the Baptists. Every religion has its weirdos that claim to be a part of its religion, just like Osama Bin Ladin tries to say that he is a real Muslim.

I don't think that a teacher should be banned from teaching creationism in his/her class - that is his FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT. However, the teacher should NOT be forced to teach it either.

Gay marriage bans - Now as a Christian, I don't believe that there should be a National ban. I personally don't see how it is doing any harm to a straight family. I don't care if Fat Rosie O'Donell is allowed to adopt kids with her wife. She may be an ultra Liberal and a Lesbian, but you can tell that she really loves her kids and she and her wife are raising them well, which is more than l can say about a lot of heterosexual families.

Abortion - I am against it, I would never allow it if I got my girlfriend pregnant (its half my kid so I believe she doesn't have a choice in that matter). Both sides raise valid points about Pro Life or Pro Choice, and both are convincing. I am NOT for a national ban on abortion though, it should be kept more to local or state levels and by a vote.

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
How about going after Focus on the Family, Westboro, and others who are giving them a bad name?

Again, I will say again I am a Christian, but I cannot stand Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and the like. I don't hate James Dobson, but I disagree with a lot of his ideas. He is for a lot of censorship, which I am strongly against any kind of censorship. However linking Focus on the Family and Westboro is wrong - they cannot be compared. Although I disagree a lot with Focus on many issues, they are just voicing their oppinion on a lot of issues, which they have a right to do. This is a whole lot different than celebrating the funerals of dead soldiers - although the constitution guarantees Westboro that right also, it is very tasteless and it would be nice to see protesters outside their church too.

N666FU

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 33):
Abortion - I am against it, I would never allow it if I got my girlfriend pregnant (its half my kid so I believe she doesn't have a choice in that matter). Both sides raise valid points about Pro Life or Pro Choice, and both are convincing. I am NOT for a national ban on abortion though, it should be kept more to local or state levels and by a vote.

Again, I will say again I am a Christian, but I cannot stand Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and the like. I don't hate James Dobson, but I disagree with a lot of his ideas. He is for a lot of censorship, which I am strongly against any kind of censorship.

Better watch out man, your respect rating is gonna sky rocket w/ that kinda talk.  Wink

It's refreshing to hear these things on this board.

Mir

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:37 am

I don't think that a teacher should be banned from teaching creationism in his/her class - that is his FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT.

The first amendment doesn't apply. If they work for the state, they have to teach the things that the state wants them to teach. If they want to go around out of class spouting creationism, fine (though I'd hope that they wouldn't).

I do appreciate what you said about the other things though.

-Mir

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
The first amendment doesn't apply. If they work for the state, they have to teach the things that the state wants them to teach. If they want to go around out of class spouting creationism, fine (though I'd hope that they wouldn't).

So you have no problem with the state brainwashing our kids and forcing our teachers and students not to have a mind of their own? This to me sounds like "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd.

Why can't a teacher teach both and let the kids decide which way that they want to believe? Kids should be learning about open mindedness at that age anyway.

padraighaz

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:53 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 36):
So you have no problem with the state brainwashing our kids and forcing our teachers and students not to have a mind of their own? This to me sounds like "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd.

Why can't a teacher teach both and let the kids decide which way that they want to believe? Kids should be learning about open mindedness at that age anyway.

There is such a thing as a curriculum. I don't care if they want to teach Creationism in a religion course, but it is not science and has no place in the science classroom. Some religious fundamentalists think Pi should be 22/7 exactly. Should that be allowed in the Math class? I would say absolutely not.

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Padraighaz (Reply 37):
There is such a thing as a curriculum. I don't care if they want to teach Creationism in a religion course, but it is not science and has no place in the science classroom. Some religious fundamentalists think Pi should be 22/7 exactly. Should that be allowed in the Math class? I would say absolutely not.

I actually agree with that point. there really isn't anything scientific about Creationism. I guess they could say "Some people believe that a higher power might behind the Big Bang theory and evolution. Maybe they should make "History of Religion" a required course then - but cover all different religions and their beliefs.

padraighaz

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 38):
Maybe they should make "History of Religion" a required course then - but cover all different religions and their beliefs.

As an atheist, I think this is a great idea.

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:08 am

Quoting Padraighaz (Reply 39):
As an atheist, I think this is a great idea.

Kids at a young age might benefit from learning about different religions and maybe we would all understand each other better. Kids would be encouraged maybe to share their beliefs and not be shot down for them no matter what they are.

allstarflyer

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:29 am

As a matter of fact, any attack on O'Reilly's abuse of my religion is commendable.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 23):
I'm a Christian myself

And I'm a Bible-believing, born-again Christian who adheres to the authority of Scripture - and in light of this, I can't recall an abuse from O'Reilly on my faith.

Quote:
"Can't a few white boys sexually assault a black woman anymore without people getting all wound up about it?"

It's disturbingly wrong, yet funny...

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 7):
Possibly, but yet, their points are still valid.

down 

their message is spot on.

Not every Christian (or so-called) is driven to interrupt your lifestyle.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 9):
Although I disagree with Marcotte and McEwan personally, they have a right to say what they did and it will still do well with the people who would read Edward's blogs anyway.

checkmark 

I don't want religion anywhere in my home trying to regulate what I do in bed, what I watch on TV, and how I raise my children.

And nobody should try to force otherwise.

And when they do, they do it civilly.

I wish that were true.

I do not see Christians doing anything to warrant such vile attacks. There is nothing wrong with Christians expressing their views.

checkmark 

Quoting Aloges (Reply 15):
I actually can distinguish between a twisted sense of humour and the real-world tragedies it parodies.
--------> Yes, but how did you distinguish this facetious remark?
Quoting OU812 (Reply 5):
Your parents should be so proud of you!

Leave my family out of a.net.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 15):
It just happens that the people who feel upset about it are mostly "Christian" fundamentalists who'd make the Biblical Jesus turn in his grave with their hatred and bigotry.

If He was still there, perhaps.

Well, how about those religios people insulting atheists in very irresponsible ways by mentioning God doing stuff all over the place?

Is "mentioning" akin to shoving it down people's throats? Mentioning can mean simply sharing a viewpoint.

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
protesting (i.e. celebrating) the funerals of slain soldiers, etc.

Wrong crowd. Bunch of nutjobs who find it convenient to use the Baptist name (referring, in particular, to Westboro).

-R
Living the American Dream

OU812
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:25 am

NASCARAirforce & Allstarflyer,
Thank you both for engaging this thread in a mature manner and contributing your views most articulately. Unfortunately, I was unable to take part in this thread today since I was busy with the ice storm that hit my area[central & north Jersey]. However, I was not surprised to see many make completely untrue statements, while completing ignoring the topic in an attempt to dodge the fact that John Edwards shot himself in the foot with these 2 extremists.

I will say this again: Christians & Catholics are not trying to shove anything down the throats of anyone. They/we are simply expressing our views & will continue to do so, since that is what we believe. Christians & Catholics do not go out of their way to take people, issues & beliefs to court as does the ACLU. Perhaps, on rare occasions when something or someone is attempting to take something away from us will a court be part of the equation.

The way in which these 2 young lady's expressed their opinions was wrong & counterproductivee. It is obvious they are limited, short sighted & very hateful people. Them expressing their opinion is their right. However, doing it in such a way only hurt them, John Edwards & their cause!

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
Just like terrorists do not represent Muslims, right?

Nonsense!

How in the world can state there is a moral equivalence between Radical Islam & Christians? You can't since Christians do not indoctrinate their youth to hate & kill as does Radical Islam. Amazing you can't see the difference. Sickening too!

checkmark 

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 41):
Well, how about those religios people insulting atheists in very irresponsible ways by mentioning God doing stuff all over the place?

Is "mentioning" akin to shoving it down people's throats? Mentioning can mean simply sharing a viewpoint.

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
protesting (i.e. celebrating) the funerals of slain soldiers, etc.

Wrong crowd. Bunch of nutjobs who find it convenient to use the Baptist name (referring, in particular, to Westboro).

-R

dtwclipper

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 42):
Christians do not indoctrinate their youth to hate & kill

Or really?

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Mir

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:52 pm

I have no problem with public schools teaching children about things that are grounded in scientific research, and have been scrutinized over and over and found to be fundamentally sound. You can call that brainwashing if you like, but I prefer to call it a quality education.

You want open-mindedness? Take it to history, where there is plenty of room for debate on what caused a war or caused a certain figure to take a certain action. Take it to English class, where there is plenty of room for debate on what an author meant. But there are certain subjects that are not open to interpretation. Science is one of them. Either something is validated through evidence or it's not. Darwin's theories have been validated time and time again using the scientific method. Intelligent design has not, and it has no place in science class.

How in the world can state there is a moral equivalence between Radical Islam & Christians?

I'm not comparing Radical Islam and Christians. I'm comparing Radical Islam and Radical Christians - heck, let's just go with the radical wings of any religion in the world. Amazing you can't see the difference.

-Mir

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:58 pm

How in the world can state there is a moral equivalence between Radical Islam & Christians? You can't since Christians do not indoctrinate their youth to hate & kill as does Radical Islam. Amazing you can't see the difference. Sickening too!

Well I hate to bring this up because this will open a whole new can of worms, but the KKK claim to be Protestant Christians. As for hating a man for his race color etc, that is not what Christianity is about, nor can they base anything on what Jesus taught to support that.

There are other groups who have "Bastardized" the name of Christianity. I guess Real Muslims could use the same argument for Radical Islam...

But here is a Wiki article about "The Church of Jesus Christ Christian", which was part of the Aryan Nations movement

The Church of Jesus Christ-Christian is a white supremacist church, which was founded in 1946 by Ku Klux Klan organizer Wesley A. Swift, the son of a Methodist Episcopal Church, South minister, who was considered the single most significant figure in the early years of the Christian Identity movement in the United States. It was originally known as the "White Identity Church of Jesus Christ-Christian," assuming its present name in 1957.

After Wesley Swift's death in 1970, the ministry was continued by his wife Lorraine Swift.

Among the group's teachings is that all non-whites — who are labelled "mud people" — have no souls and hence, no place at all in the afterlife; and since they are not going either to Heaven or Hell after they die, they have no incentive to self-regulate their earthly behavior. Jews are considered to be a race of devils born of Eve and Satan, and placed on Earth to do the bidding of Satan. Also, in recent years the current Pastor of the Church, Jonathan Williams, has begun including polygamy,imprecatory prayer, blood atonement, and sanctification as part of the church's doctrines.

In February, 2001, the name "Church of Jesus Christ-Christian" was sold to Victoria and Jason Keenan along with the name "Aryan Nations" and the Aryan Nations compound when the Keenans won a 6.3 million USD lawsuit against the organizations after being attacked by Aryan Nations guards. In March, 2001, the Keenans sold the compound to the Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Carr Foundation, a human rights organization which plans to build a human rights center on the property. The Church resurfaced in September of 2004 upon the death of Richard Butler, who resumed the Ministry after the death of Swift. It is now headed by a Council of 3 men, including the Senior Pastor Jonathan Williams.

padraighaz

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 pm

The way in which these 2 young lady's expressed their opinions was wrong & counterproductivee. It is obvious they are limited, short sighted & very hateful people. Them expressing their opinion is their right. However, doing it in such a way only hurt them, John Edwards & their cause!

Agreed.

I will say this again: Christians & Catholics are not trying to shove anything down the throats of anyone. They/we are simply expressing our views & will continue to do so, since that is what we believe. Christians & Catholics do not go out of their way to take people, issues & beliefs to court as does the ACLU. Perhaps, on rare occasions when something or someone is attempting to take something away from us will a court be part of the equation.

This is not a fair summary. While there are Christians and Catholics who behave as you describe, there most certainly are ones who want to force prayer in school issues, oppose abortion, attack evolution, reclaim the country for Christ, and tear down separation of church and state. In other words, in areas where reasonable people disagree on profound issues, they are trying to impose their opinions on others.

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:11 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 44):
But there are certain subjects that are not open to interpretation. Science is one of them. Either something is validated through evidence or it's not.

I am getting the two boards mixed up - between this one and the Kansas one.

Why is it that the school systems and even Science books are still referring to Evolution as still a "theory" instead of stating it as an already decided fact? A lot of scientists don't always agree - look at global warming for example, you have one scientist saying that the record amount of hurricanes in 2005 was due to global warming, while another will say it is just a weather cycle. So yes Science is also open to interpretation as theories are STILL being tested and always new evidence is being found to either support or disprove a theory.

I am not saying that I don't believe in Evolution. There is enough evidence out there to convince me that evolution is happening even as we speak. However, is there any evidence that some sort of Higher Power ie. God isn't behind Evolution?

I don't take Genesis of the Bible literally word for word as if the World was created in 6 days and God rested. The Bible was written long before scientists and the people who wrote it wanted something easy for readers to read and not have to explain the whole process of Creation/Evolution because no one back then would have understood the big bang theory.

Also, who is to say that God's time and human time are on the same parallel? We read the bible to say "On the First Day, God created the heaven's and the earth". However, that First day could be a process of 2 billion years right there of gases expanding, contracting and the big Bang. The second day is another 2 billion years... maybe the sun and stars were formed over that time... the 3rd day is the next set of 2 billion years where water was created on earth and probably several similar planets in the Universe (I am not going to go to that topic of life on other planets etc).

If Creation can be taught in a scientific way like I suggested it has a place in science. All that the professor has to say is that there is an alternate view of people believing that there is some higher force behind Evolution.

Leave the Actual Bible story of Creation for the History of Religion Class

Mir

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 47):
Why is it that the school systems and even Science books are still referring to Evolution as still a "theory" instead of stating it as an already decided fact?

Just because it's a theory doesn't mean it isn't very well supported by evidence. The theory of gravity is also just a theory (meaning it cannot be physically proven), but has a lot of evidence that supports it (and precious little if any that doesn't).

A lot of scientists don't always agree - look at global warming for example, you have one scientist saying that the record amount of hurricanes in 2005 was due to global warming, while another will say it is just a weather cycle.

Sure, there's dispute about that - it was only a little over a year ago! Science is not a quick thing, particularly when it comes to building up major theories. Those take a lot of experimentation and observation, and that doesn't happen in a year even in today's world. Darwin's ideas have been around for a long time, and have been scrutinized for a long time, and have been found to be solid. Given a few decades, I bet there'd be a solid explanation for the hurricanes of 2005.

There is enough evidence out there to convince me that evolution is happening even as we speak. However, is there any evidence that some sort of Higher Power ie. God isn't behind Evolution?

No, but by the same token, there's no evidence that says that a higher power is behind evolution. By definition, higher powers work in ways that cannot be measured by humans. Therefore, there can be no evidence either supporting or disproving the claim that a higher power is behind evolution. And thus acceptance or rejection of intelligent design is not based on science, but on religious belief. And thus, it has no place in science classes.

-Mir

OU812
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 43):
Christians do not indoctrinate their youth to hate & kill

Or really?

"Q"  ill 

The YouTube video is of a Bible School! These people go voluntarily & are not taught to hate & kill as mentioned, nor is their any connection with Church and State. Where you came up with that is beyond me. I don't believe it's any different than my Jewish friends going to Hebrew lessons.

More spin from my opposition!  spin 

You people!

boggled