WestWing
Topic Author

Kansas Rethinks Adam/Eve/Dinosaurs/Church

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:51 am

So it seems the Kansas Board of Education has *finally* reversed itself on the evolution decision.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2872167

"Today the Kansas Board of Education returned its curriculum standards to mainstream science," said Board Chairman, Dr. Bill Wagnon. "This assures that Kansas children are appropriately educated for the 21st century."

Who says we can't make progress.

*The thread title is a reference to a thread started by Jaysit when the Kansas decision was announced.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

mbmbos

RE: Kansas Rethinks Adam/Eve/Dinosaurs/Church

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:09 am

Good news! It's refreshing to learn that sometimes sane, rational folks prevail.

Klaus

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:26 am

Good to see Kansas has finally reached the 20th century in 2007...!  mischievous 

IFEMaster

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:42 am

I don't see what the big deal is with teaching both 'Evolution' and 'Intelligent Design'. They are both theories and exposing kids to both simply encourages an open-mindedness to explore both and make up their own minds.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

WestWing
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 2):
has finally reached the 20th century

Woudn't that be 19th Century?

By the way, the board vote on this issue was recorded 6 to 4, so there were still four on the board voting in favor of the intelligent designer. The margin is narrow and the decision could be reversed again depending on who comes to power during the 2008 elections.

AirCop

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 1):
Good news! It's refreshing to learn that sometimes sane, rational folks prevail.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 2):
Good to see Kansas has finally reached the 20th century in 2007...! mischievous

Until the next election when the other side will attempt to retake the board again. This thing has flip flopped a couple of times now. Kansas is a strange place..

Klaus

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):
I don't see what the big deal is with teaching both 'Evolution' and 'Intelligent Design'. They are both theories and exposing kids to both simply encourages an open-mindedness to explore both and make up their own minds.

No. One is an intensely verified theory which is supported and confirmed by a huge mountain of evidence, the other is a hypothesis which has been disproved by physical evidence.

And "leaving it to the students to make up their own minds" is the laziest excuse for arbitrary indoctrination with unfounded propaganda that could ever exist!

Why don't we leave the same freedom of "decision" to the students in math tests then?  crazy 

There is absolutely nothing about those two which puts them on the same level.

Quoting WestWing (Reply 4):
Woudn't that be 19th Century?

I was trying to be generous.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 5):
Kansas is a strange place..

Indeed. Looks a bit like the land that time forgot...

IFEMaster

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 6):
No. One is an intensely verified theory which is supported and confirmed by a huge mountain of evidence, the other is a hypothesis which has been disproved by physical evidence.

And "leaving it to the students to make up their own minds" is the laziest excuse for arbitrary indoctrination with unfounded propaganda that could ever exist!

Why don't we leave the same freedom of "decision" to the students in math tests then? crazy

There is absolutely nothing about those two which puts them on the same level.

So we should completely discount the idea of intelligent design? No way, no how, not ever was the world a product of intelligent design?

Klaus

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 7):
So we should completely discount the idea of intelligent design? No way, no how, not ever was the world a product of intelligent design?

There is absolutely no verifiable evidence for it and a substantial amount of evidence against, so it is one among millions of marginal to extremely unlikely hypotheses which are also not taught in any respectable schools. It has proven completely unable to predict any future discoveries.

By contrast, the theory system of evolution fits perfectly with a vast range of evidence, is verifiable to a large extent and has no rival with regard to consistency and predictive quality of future discoveries.

There is simply no way to compare the two, except in the minds of people who have absolutely no idea about how science works or how the theory of evolution actually relates to verifiable evidence.

SaturnVRocket

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:09 am

One of the great ironies I see with "intelligent design" is that the actual concept of creationism has undergone its own form of evolution.

SVR

N231YE

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:12 am

Kansas is a strange place..

Indeed, with witches, lions, tin men, gold paths, Emerald City and the infamous wizard, I can't agree more  wink 

IFEMaster

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
except in the minds of people who have absolutely no idea about how science works or how the theory of evolution actually relates to verifiable evidence.

Off topic, but my curiosity is peaked...how would you address scientists, specifically those involved in the biological field, who believe and support intelligent design?

N666FU

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:23 am

I don't see what the big deal is with teaching both 'Evolution' and 'Intelligent Design'.

Great, so send your kids to a Christian or Catholic school, and keep it out of public school science classes.
KEPT DELTA OUR DELTA! Ask USAirPlatinum about it!

Banco

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 11):
Off topic, but my curiosity is peaked...how would you address scientists, specifically those involved in the biological field, who believe and support intelligent design?

"Produce the evidence" is how you would say it. That's the trouble with Intelligent Design as a concept, it is entirely unverifiable, unprovable (in the specific scientific sense of "proof", i.e. test) and a matter of faith. It cannot be challenged, it is a mere article of faith, because whenever there is a difficult bit, the response is "Well, God did it". It is unscientific in the extreme and cannot be rationally debated.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Halcyon

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:30 am

Klaus, I think this time you're actually attempting to prove a negative.
You still can't PROVE macro evolution, and it's never been witnessed or seen in fossils, and since all matter had to have an origin, I think assuming that it came from something that CREATED it is not all that preposterous. Or you can believe that it all appeared today, or that it is self defining and has been around forever, and, whoop, there we go! Wow!

Lucas

Edit:Rudeness

[Edited 2007-02-14 20:31:04]

AsstChiefMark

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:34 am

I wonder what the creationism textbooks looked like. How was creationism explained?

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:34 am

What's with the push to teach this God thing in public schools? It's ridiculous. I could understand if the United States were a theocracy, but it's not, so its best to keep the Holy Rollers out of the planning dept.'s in public schools.
They reversed it, good for them.
I have a question, if this evolution concept is so hard to accept, then how do you feel about plate tectonics? relativity? continental drift?
All of those are "theories" too.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

Halcyon

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 16):
then how do you feel about plate tectonics?

I've never felt an earthquake, so they must not exist! Sheesh, all you liars.  Wink Just kidding. Yes, I agree that the plates move, and for some odd reason that thought has made me mighty hungry. But I have to go to class, so hasta luego.

Lucas

aloges

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:41 am

You could always teach it in sunday school, or religion classes like we have them in Germany. I was taught the history of creation in school, it was never presented as science but as historic theology.

How many are there? 20, 25? And what are their credentials concerning genetics and the development of species? In other words, does anyone who has a clue and is not involved in some 18th century-loving church actually support creationism?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:43 am

Creationist science class would be among the easiest classes ever. You could just answer "God Did It!" for every answer and get it right.

-Copa

mbmbos

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:43 am

If your curiosity is piqued you might want to read about the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District trial where the school district argued for installing intelligent design as part of the curriculum. Or you can read what the National Academy of Science says officially about intelligent design.

In short, intelligent design is wrapped up in its own circular reasoning and cannot be tested through scientific method. I see no reason to introduce it in school curriculum when it cannot withstand the scrutiny of critical thinking or rational thought.

I have no problem with religion, spirituality, mysticism, etc. But school is a place to hone critical thinking skills, rational thought.

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:46 am

I agree

Until the next election when the other side will attempt to retake the board again. This thing has flip flopped a couple of times now. Kansas is a strange place..

Kansas in the 1800s used to be known as a Progressive State too.

PanAmOldDC8

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting WestWing (Thread starter):
So it seems the Kansas Board of Education has *finally* reversed itself on the evolution decision

Techically both should be taught. Where is the freedom of speech we hear so much about. Why should not both be taught I think that this is discrimination in the highest. I just stated a fact.
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting N666FU (Reply 12):
Great, so send your kids to a Christian or Catholic school, and keep it out of public school science classes.

Even the Catholic Church has acknowledged evolution.

Theory of evolution belongs in a biology class. Intelligent design belongs in a relgion class. Should religion classes be tought at a public school? That's probably for another debate though I would say yes, to go along with your point of teaching both sides to create an open minded environment. However, most public schools don't offer a course in a specific religion. The closest my school district came was in Humanities, we had to do an in-depth group research project on other world religions (Judaism, Sunni Islam, Shi'ite Islam, Hinduism, Sikhs, and Shinto IIRC).

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 14):
I think assuming that it came from something that CREATED it is not all that preposterous

I'm a "middle of the road" myself. Evolution explains how things got from way back to how they are today, but it doesn't really state how they were created in the first place.

[Edited 2007-02-14 21:14:56]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 22):
Techically both should be taught. Where is the freedom of speech we hear so much about. Why should not both be taught I think that this is discrimination in the highest. I just stated a fact.

Why exactly? One is based on rational thought, the other is a thinly-veiled attempt at smuggling religion into school.
I thought our public schools were supposed to be secular?

Why do the holy rollers insist on pushing religion on everyone...why?
If they are unhappy their method of "science" if you can call it that isn't taught in public schools, then send your kid(s) to private schools.
easy enough.

-Copa

WestWing
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 10):
.witches, lions, tin men, gold paths, Emerald City and the infamous wizard

Ah, but the young lady told her canine companion that they were "not in Kansas anymore".  Smile

The theory that an "Intelligent Designer" created life, the universe and everything, is no different from theories that Allah, Brahma, Deus, I-am-that-I-am or Yahweh did. Why should Intelligent Design be elevated to a higher plane of credibility than those other theories.

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting WestWing (Reply 25):
Why should Intelligent Design be elevated to a higher plane of credibility than those other theories.

Because the holy rollers like to impose their will on everyone. If they just stuck to playing with rattlesnakes in their megachurches, and confined their "Jay-zus" and stuff to themselves, I wouldn't have a problem. But being that they have to have their paws in every confine of American life, both public and private, that's what bothers me.
It's also hilarious to hear them call Catholics' "un-Christian". Funny, I think Catholicism was the first christian church wasn't it?

-Copa

Klaus

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 13):
"Produce the evidence" is how you would say it.

Precisely like that. You will note, by the way, that such claims almost always come from people who are scientists in completely different fields - not in biology, not in genetics or in any related field. In other words: They are laymen where it really counts and simply have not had to confront the actual evidence.

In the case of evolution, Charles Darwin's theory (with only slight restrictions) has held up brilliantly right up to our age of molecular genetics - predicting future discoveries that wide (in all of biology and even in cybernetics) and that far in advance (not the precise nature of DNA, but the way it develops over time) is a spectacular case of a successful scientific theory.

Klaus, I know you know everything

Your knowledge is flawed, then...!  mischievous 

but I think this time you're actually attempting to prove a negative.

Nope. I simply report the so far complete absence of verifiable evidence and successful predictions regarding the hypothesis of creationism.

You still can't PROVE macro evolution, and it's never been witnessed or seen in fossils

Wrong. There are hundreds if not thousands of examples, current species included. Creationists just pick and choose specifically those points in the evolutionary tree where the fossil record still has larger gaps. But those are closing progressively with new discoveries. And all those discoveries so far have been consistent with the evolution theory.

Remember "Lucy"? She occupies one of the spots formerly used by creationists to claim that evolution was invalid when she hadn't been discovered yet.

The claim that "macro-evolution" wasn't valid is just a last-ditch fallback position after the overwhelming evidence had forced creationists to abandon their previous claims of evolution being invalid at all. They have had no other choice but to realize that it is very much real, and the comparatively tiny gaps of uncertainty (but not inconsistency!) are their last resort.

and since all matter had to have an origin, I think assuming that it came from something that CREATED it is not all that preposterous.

It is understandable when you know a bit about human psychology, but there is no evidence for it outside of the human mind; Evolution, on the other hand, is verifiable in every living organism on the planet, yourself and the microorganisms in your intestines included.

Physical, repeatable, verifiable evidence and successful prediction of future discoveries. That is what natural science is all about.

And evolution has been a spectacular success in every one of those respects.

While creationism fails every single one of those tests so far. It doesn't even have enough substance to register as a blip on the scientific radar.

Even after you've stripped off the parts of it which are flat out inconsistent with observable reality (and thus disproving it), it's just a redundant hypothesis which isn't verifiable and which makes no useful predictions about future discoveries. Empty. Irrelevant.

If you choose to make it the foundation of your view of the world, go ahead; I'm sure the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus will appreciate the company.

Klaus

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 22):

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 23):
Theory of evolution belongs in a biology class. Intelligent design belongs in a relgion class.

Exactly. One is a scientific theory which helps us reliably interacting with the world (creating medicine, identifying criminals etc.), the other a mythological part of some religions.

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:17 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 24):
Why exactly? One is based on rational thought, the other is a thinly-veiled attempt at smuggling religion into school.
I thought our public schools were supposed to be secular?

Do you agree then if I don't have children that attend public school and if I don't agree with what the school teaches that people in this situation should have their taxes witheld from going to that school system? After all "no taxation without representation"

Quoting WestWing (Reply 25):
The theory that an "Intelligent Designer" created life, the universe and everything, is no different from theories that Allah, Brahma, Deus, I-am-that-I-am or Yahweh did. Why should Intelligent Design be elevated to a higher plane of credibility than those other theories.

I have been one who believes in a combination of evolution and creation. I do not take the Bible literally that the world was created in 6 days, and God rested the 7th. When the Bible was first written, people had no concept on science and it was the easiest way to teach people back then. A day to God, may be a billion years to us. Our time could exist on two different planes. so the "on the First day, God Created the Heavens and the Earth" could have been the Big bang... a billion of our years later we started seeing forms of life etc.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 29):
I have been one who believes in a combination of evolution and creation. I do not take the Bible literally that the world was created in 6 days, and God rested the 7th. When the Bible was first written, people had no concept on science and it was the easiest way to teach people back then. A day to God, may be a billion years to us. Our time could exist on two different planes. so the "on the First day, God Created the Heavens and the Earth" could have been the Big bang... a billion of our years later we started seeing forms of life etc.

Exactly. I'm of the same viewpoint. Some people forget that A) the Bible was not written in English and B) it was written many centuries (or millenniums) ago. Words lose their original meaning over time and many other words don't translate directly. Plus, as you say, one day to God could be many billions of years to us and there's nothing in the Bible (to my knowledge) that argues against evolution.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

OlegShv

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:28 am

Who says we can't make progress.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 2):
Good to see Kansas has finally reached the 20th century in 2007...!

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Although, seriously, it's good to know they finally separated science and religion.

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 29):

Do you agree then if I don't have children that attend public school and if I don't agree with what the school teaches that people in this situation should have their taxes witheld from going to that school system? After all "no taxation without representation"

Go ahead and withhold your taxes. We'll see how far that gets you.

-Copa

Falcon84

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:37 am

The big deal is that Evolution is based on science; Intelligent Design is a new-fangled name for Creationism, in my mind, and belongs in the Church and Sunday school, not a science class.

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 16):
What's with the push to teach this God thing in public schools? It's ridiculous.

It's all about political power, in the end. Those who want Intelligent Design in science classes either get their way, or then claim that their Christian beliefs are being mocked and discriminated against, and tha, in turn, is used as a rallying cry for the white-hot fundamentalists to rally around.

That, in the end, is what it is.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting SaturnVRocket (Reply 9):
One of the great ironies I see with "intelligent design" is that the actual concept of creationism has undergone its own form of evolution.

That, sir, is an excellent point.  biggrin 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 33):

It's all about political power, in the end. Those who want Intelligent Design in science classes either get their way, or then claim that their Christian beliefs are being mocked and discriminated against, and tha, in turn, is used as a rallying cry for the white-hot fundamentalists to rally around.

Bingo!!

I don't understand how these christian bible beaters can claim they are discriminated against or persecuted. Maybe in the Muslim world, or Ancient Rome. but not in Europe or America.
All organized religion is fake to me...but that's for another topic.
-Copa

PanAmOldDC8

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 26):
Because the holy rollers like to impose their will on everyone. If they just stuck to playing with rattlesnakes in their megachurches, and confined their "Jay-zus" and stuff to themselves, I wouldn't have a problem. But being that they have to have their paws in every confine of American life, both public and private, that's what bothers me.
It's also hilarious to hear them call Catholics' "un-Christian". Funny, I think Catholicism was the first christian church wasn't it?

I am not a HOLY ROLLER to start with. But I believe that fair is fair. What are you so scared about having religion taught in schools, why if I don't want my kids to learn about Darwins theory, should that be forced on me. I am just asking a question? I think that we have people who want their side heard but not the other, it is a shame we can't have both sides

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 32):
Go ahead and withhold your taxes. We'll see how far that gets you.

We should be allowed to if we don't have kids in Public school. We should get a tax break of a certain percentage that would have gone to the school system.

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 36):

I am not a HOLY ROLLER to start with. But I believe that fair is fair. What are you so scared about having religion taught in schools, why if I don't want my kids to learn about Darwins theory, should that be forced on me. I am just asking a question? I think that we have people who want their side heard but not the other, it is a shame we can't have both sides

Why should a blatant show of religion be taught in PUBLIC schools? Religion doesn't belong in science class. Why are you so adamant about that? Send your kids to private schools or home school them if you don't want to have them exposed to science or feel that it is some falsehood.
If you want that taught in there, how about teaching the Hindu belief on it? The Muslim one?

-Copa

NASCARAirforce

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:55 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 38):
Send your kids to private schools or home school them if you don't want to have them exposed to science or feel that it is some falsehood.

So if he sends his kids to Private school, shouldn't he have the right to withold a portion of his taxes that would go to his district's school system? He now has to pay to send his kids to Private school, so he should get that tax break.

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:56 am

I thought you said you were leaving after S12PPL abused you in that Dungy thread?

-Copa

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:58 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 39):

So if he sends his kids to Private school, shouldn't he have the right to withold a portion of his taxes that would go to his district's school system? He now has to pay to send his kids to Private school, so he should get that tax break.

Don't taxes fund public education? Why withhold taxes? So others can be punished with decrepit facilities, outdated textbooks, and such because of a belief in a mythical thing that probably doesn't exist?
If punishing others for your beliefs is your idea of a "Christian" ideal, then go for it.

-Copa

N666FU

Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:59 am

What are you so scared about having religion taught in schools,

Seperation of chuch and state.

I think that we have people who want their side heard but not the other, it is a shame we can't have both sides

Because creationism isn't SCIENCE.
KEPT DELTA OUR DELTA! Ask USAirPlatinum about it!

OlegShv

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 39):

Well, the thing about the state is that it will never be fair to everyone. If I were to follow your logic, I should demand back the part of my taxes that went to fund the war in Iraq, which I don't support. Do you really think I'll get that money back?

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting N666FU (Reply 42):
What are you so scared about having religion taught in schools,

Seperation of chuch and state.

I think that we have people who want their side heard but not the other, it is a shame we can't have both sides

Because creationism isn't SCIENCE

The holy rollers don't seem to grasp that. But OldDC8 isn't a holy roller...I forgot.

-Copa

Boeing744

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 10):
Indeed, with witches, lions, tin men, gold paths, Emerald City and the infamous wizard, I can't agree more

So it seems the Kansas Board of Education has *finally* reversed itself on the evolution decision.

"I don't think we're in the dark ages anymore Toto!"

Send your kids to private schools or home school them if you don't want to have them exposed to science or feel that it is some falsehood.

Exactly!!!

If you want that taught in there, how about teaching the Hindu belief on it? The Muslim one?

Bingo!

PanAmOldDC8

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 40):
thought you said you were leaving after S12PPL abused you in that Dungy thread

Thank you for your kind words,in response to several members of this forum I decided to stay and people like you won't drive me out again.I am for the Darwin theory, however I think that fair is fair

[Edited 2007-02-14 22:07:22]

PanAmOldDC8

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 44):
The holy rollers don't seem to grasp that. But OldDC8 isn't a holy roller...I forgot.

I am a Christian, but do not believe in pushing religion down peoples throats. In my feeling it is up to you what you believe. I you want to believe in the devil so be it

copaair737

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 48):

I am a Christian, but do not believe in pushing religion down peoples throats. In my feeling it is up to you what you believe. I you want to believe in the devil so be it

But that is what you are doing by insisting on this religious mumbo jumbo being forced into a public school science classroom.

-Copa

LH423

Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:14 am

I'd really be interested in what these kids are learning. I did not grow up in an atmosphere where Intelligent Design was taught. I'd be really interested in seeing what their textbooks say.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry