rjpieces

Library Database Software--Any Suggestions?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:08 pm

I've decided that I would like to create a database of my all of my family's books (thousands...)...I'd like to make it a long-term project. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good program to buy for this.

I found this one which looks good:
http://www.collectorz.com/book/

But of course any personal recommendations are greatly appreciated!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

TedTAce

RE: Library Database Software--Any Suggestions?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:49 pm

If it's REALLY going to be a long term project, I suggest using MS-Access to get the data into a basic format. From there you can either keep it in access, use front page to make it web accessable, or port the data easily into most other programs. While it's not to easy to learn; you can make your life easier by keying common tables such as year published, Author, Publisher, and anything else that is common. This will cost you time up front to set up 'right' but it will pay off come data entry time when almost all you have to do is type the book title, write the summary, then click on the author/publisher/year. You can also create tables for DD, physical locations of the books, and anything else you can dream of to describe the books in question
This space intentionally left blank

chachu201

RE: Library Database Software--Any Suggestions?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Well, I agree with Ted in that Microsoft Access is a great idea. I actually think that one of the pre-set database templates is a book record, or something very similar that could be adapted for books very easily. Just take a look in the 'templates' section when you choose to create a new database.