falstaff

Dumbest Fashion Trend You Have Seen.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:55 pm

I have seen some dumb fashion trends. I have even participated in a few, remember MC hammer style pants?. Yesterday I may have seen the dumbest of them all. One of my students came into class yesterday wearing glasses. He had not worn glasses previously. I asked him : "Tremaine I didn't know you had bad eyesight" He told me he didn't. He showed me his glasses and they were a fine pair of Cartiers, but the lenses were plastic. I ask him why : " Becasue they look cool and everyone does it" I didn't belive him. Who would do such a thing. It turns out that a lot of kids at my school wear glasses with no prescription because the designer frames look cool. This may be the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Most people, including me, that wear eye glasses don't really want to wear them. We have to in order to see. When I was in Jr High school some kids wore their pants backwards. I thought that was dumb, but hey, you still have to wear pants. I don't get wearing glasses to look cool.

Does anyone else know of some dumb fashion trends? I am sure that different parts countries and different parts of the world have some wildly different trends. Did anyone here participate in some trends that they are not too proud of?
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

kmh1956

RE: Dumbest Fashion Trend You Have Seen.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 pm

That's easy....oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back, and the crotch hanging down somewhere between the calves. DUMB!!!! Not to mention unattractive...give me a man in a well-fitted pair of jeans any day. YUM
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

IAH777

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 1):
That's easy....oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back, and the crotch hanging down somewhere between the calves. DUMB!!!!

Amen, Sister! Although, it does make it easier for those of us in law enforcement to catch 'em when they're running while holding their britches up.  Smile

Other moronic fashion faux pas...

- baseball caps on any way but forward (backward is OK if you're shooting pictures or rifles)
- fur-trimmed snow boots
- neckties tied too short
- sunglasses after dusk

HeavyMX1

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:37 pm

When I was younger I can remeber kids would wear jumpers and only hook one strap over their shoulder and leave the other one hanging. I confess I did this my self too, and look back on it as pretty silly now.
I am better than you because I live on an Island

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:40 pm

That's easy....oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back, and the crotch hanging down somewhere between the calves. DUMB!!!! Not to mention unattractive...give me a man in a well-fitted pair of jeans any day.

The worst . . . . I can't even call it a "fashion" trend. Just ignorance run amok.

Like IAH777 says, it does make catchin' the bad guy easier when his drawers are falling down round his ankles . . .

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 2):
- baseball caps on any way but forward

checkmark 

- fur-trimmed snow boots

irked 
I'm keeping mine. They're seal and I ain't getting rid of 'em.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

JAGflyer

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Tight pants on any girl who is overweight by at least 20lbs+. Guy to Girl: Your not sexy or hot when you've got a rolls royce hanging over the sides of your pants. :eek:

Shorts down to mid-calf. Kinda defeats the purpose. Once again back to the "crotch down low" look.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

767Lover

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Capri pants have been sticking in my craw for the past couple of years. Women wear them all the time in warm weather, yet they only look good on about 1% of the population. I can't believe women actually want to wear something that makes their legs look stubby and their hips look wide.

Why do I care if I don't wear them? Because capri pants are practically all you find in stores in the spring, so I have limited options.

andz

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:43 pm

sunglasses after dusk

Or people driving with them on top of their head, WTF??

That's easy....oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back, and the crotch hanging down somewhere between the calves. DUMB!!!!

First thing I thought of too.

Others... torn jeans, string vests, leg warmers......
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Daleaholic

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 pm

I'd say those f*cking 'Poncho' things. They were retarded!

WTF!?!?
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

aloges

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 pm

rotfl  I agree with all the above!

I'll add shirts, especially polo shirts, with the collars up. ARGH!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

flyingbronco05

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:55 pm

Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 9):

How 'bout guys that wear hoods???  duck 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

IAH777

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
I'm keeping mine. They're seal and I ain't getting rid of 'em.

If they're practical, I don't have a problem. But in Houston? In June? Methinks its just obnoxious.

Doona

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

I hate this one too, but it's not really a trend, I think. It's probably people not being able to tie their ties properly, and not knowing that the tip is supposed to just reach one's belt buckle! Either one is a gentleman, or one is not.  duck 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

GQfluffy

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 pm

- baseball caps on any way but forward (backward is OK if you're shooting pictures or rifles)

What if I'm standing in propwash waiting to unplug a GPU???
This isn't where I parked my car...

IAH777

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 13):
the tip is supposed to just reach one's belt buckle

thumbsup 

Also, a suit coat is to be fully-buttoned, wheras a sportcoat should be buttoned with the top button only, IIRC. One's shirt cuffs should extend beyond the coat by 1/2 inch. Trousers should reach just far enough to slightly break over the top of the foot. A coat fits correctly if there is approx. 1 inch off the shoulder. These should all be correct, unless fashion has changed (deteriorated) over the past 5 years.

IAH777

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:16 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 14):

Penicillin should clear that right up.

vikkyvik

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:19 pm

I pretty much hate any trend that ran through the sororities at USC.

The worst offenders were:

- wearing Uggs (those trendy winter boots with fur tops), especially when worn with skirts or miniskirts. WE'RE IN LOS ANGELES FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!! It's 80 goddamn degrees, and it's never gonna freakin snow! There is very little in my life that has pissed me off more than that trend.

- those giant sunglasses they all started wearing. Seriously, they look like the sunglasses you see 80-year-old women wearing.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

nosedive

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 7):
Or people driving with them on top of their head, WTF??

Eh, sometimes you have no where to put them.

I'd like to also add Von Dutch hats, stained denim jeans, logos on the outside. Team/college stuff can slide here and there. Case in point:

hot chick, ugly clothes.

oh, and crocs. eff crocs.

aloges

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
How 'bout guys that wear hoods???

White ones?  mischievous 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

falstaff

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 7):
torn jeans

I have a bunch of worn out jeans that I actually wore out and for some reason that is not stylish.

Quoting HeavyMx1 (Reply 3):
When I was younger I can remeber kids would wear jumpers and only hook one strap over their shoulder and leave the other one hanging. I confess I did this my self too, and look back on it as pretty silly now.

I remember that being cool in 1989-1990. A lot of kids at my Jr. high wore stuff like that.

sunglasses after dusk

How about inside? There is a custodian at my work who does that. Everyone, including students, make fun of him.

I'll add shirts, especially polo shirts, with the collars up.

I haven't seen that in a while. For some reason I see a guy in his 1986 BMW 325i and is Bolle' sunglasses when I think of that trend.

- baseball caps on any way but forward

Sometimes when they are cocked to the side or barley on the head it can mean gang affiliation. I know some of the different gang members at my work all wear their hat the same way. Different gang members wear their hats different.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 5):
Tight pants on any girl who is overweight by at least 20lbs+. Guy to Girl: Your not sexy or hot when you've got a rolls royce hanging over the sides of your pants. :eek:

Could agree more. I not a big fan of women who have writing on their butts. Noting like seeing a plumper who has "sexy" or cutie written on their sweat pants.  vomit  If they are not fat they are usually not the friendliest people.

oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back

I always tell my students. "If I wanted to see mens underwear I would stay at home and look in my underwear drawer"
 Silly

Any guys or girls here who pegged their pants in the 1980s? It was so cool. The tighter you rolled your jeans the cooler you were. Once some kids made fun of me because I had my pants cuffed at the bottom, in 1987. From that day out, up to about 1991, pegging of the pants was a must do at school.

NoUFO

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:49 pm

That's easy....oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back, and the crotch hanging down somewhere between the calves. DUMB!!!! Not to mention unattractive

Ahem, yes, yes and yes. Definitely.

But some adults cling on some weird fashion ideas that should have gone the way of the magnificent Archaeopteryx, too:

- Overweight women wearing leggins  yuck 

- Business men wearing trousers short enough to expose some pair of hairy ankles when sitting down.  no 

- Fine rib tank with golden necklace  scared 
I support the right to arm bears

dsmflyer

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:54 pm

Popped collars just scream "douchebag."

halls120

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 5):

Actually, tight pants on an overweight male are just as bad.

Quoting Doona (Reply 13):

I hate this one too, but it's not really a trend, I think. It's probably people not being able to tie their ties properly, and not knowing that the tip is supposed to just reach one's belt buckle! Either one is a gentleman, or one is not

checkmark 

And gents, if you are going to invest in a quality suit, shoes, and ties, don't buy your dress shirts in the bargain bin at Walmart. Nothing more tacky than a cheap white shirt and a business suit.

Almost as bad as 100% polyester trousers.

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 15):
Also, a suit coat is to be fully-buttoned, wheras a sportcoat should be buttoned with the top button only, IIRC.

Not in the US. Top button of a two button suit, top two buttons of a three button suit.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

falstaff

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 18):
I'd like to also add Von Dutch hats, stained denim jeans, logos on the outside. Team/college stuff can slide here and there. Case in point:

What is the deal with "stylish" people wearing big belt buckles. Those should be reserved for good ol' boys like me.

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 22):
Popped collars just scream "douchebag."

What are popped collars?

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 14):

That would be fine. Work clothes should never be considered in fashion. A lot of my students wear Dickies work clothes, but only for the fashion. They refuse to get them dirty.

Superfly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:56 am

Why so many fashion cops?
Why should anyone care what someone else wears?
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):

I don't care what people wear I just wonder why they wear it. How do trends get started? What makes something "cool"?

I like wrangler jeans because they fit good and they are cheap.

I had a mullet in high school because I thought it made me look cool. Now in my high school photos I look like a idiot.
I had MC Hammer pants because they were what all the kids had. They were comfortable, but they were a pin in the ass because I was always pulling them up. They would also drag on the ground and get dirty.
You are right We really should not care what people wear. If everyone looked alike we would all look like those 1950s future movies.

Superfly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:12 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 26):
Now in my high school photos I look like a idiot.

But at that time, you probably didn't look like an idiot. By 2007 standards, yes.

Come to think of it, a mullet with the MC Hameer pants?......YIKES!  Silly

I agree with most. I don't like the baggy pants look at all.  no 

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 6):
I can't believe women actually want to wear something that makes their legs look stubby and their hips look wide.

Hey I like that look.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

halls120

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:14 am

If you are talking about your time away from work, I could care less what you wear. But when you come to work, don't plan on expressing your individuality to the point where you stand out.

Like it or not, there are expectations in all forms of work. Show up at an auto plant assembly line in sandals and shorts, and you'll be sent home.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Yellowstone

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 24):
What are popped collars?

A popped collar is when you flip your collar up, as in the picture in Reply 10. Generally worn by preppy California kids.

My vote for the worst fashion trend: bling. Especially grilles. Those things just look stupid.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Superfly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 am

Halls120:
I work in an very corporate environment.  Sad
Everyone has to dress in suits and business attire.
I am sick of these dry cleaning bills and wearing ties. Of course I don't complain about it at work.

I used to work at a bank when I was in college in a customer service center. This was during the dotcom bom so companies were desperate for employees.
We had many 'individuals' in out office. Occasionally my supervisor (who was a man at the time) would wear his spaghetti strap sundress to work. He was a terrible looking drag queen because he would go the extra mile to actually 'look' like a woman. He was 6', 7", very skinny, hairy legs, with a large Adam's apple.
Bring back the Concorde

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:28 am

I can tolerate baseball hats worn incorrectly, but sagging is by far the most idiotic thing da boyz in da hood ever came up with with.  yuck 

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Yellowstone

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:30 am

With the sagging pants thing, I remember the rule my church youth group leader once laid down before we went on a church service project. "Place your arms straight down at your sides. Girls, your shorts can't stop above your fingertips. Boys, your shorts can't start below your fingertips."
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

AirTranTUS

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 17):
- those giant sunglasses they all started wearing. Seriously, they look like the sunglasses you see 80-year-old women wearing.

Definitely that and the jeans that come from the store with holes and dirt markings. Why would someone pay money for clothes that look dirty and have holes?
I love ASO!

Superfly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:35 am

As far as the sunglasses at night trend goes, that's ALL Corey Hart's fault.

Bring back the Concorde

solnabo

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:38 am

Anyone remember Kriss Kross look with the jeans backwards!!!

Jump.....Jump....

Micke//  yuck 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

falstaff

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
But at that time, you probably didn't look like an idiot. By 2007 standards, yes.

Come to think of it, a mullet with the MC Hameer pants?......YIKES!

No wonder my parents didn't want to take me places.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 31):
can tolerate baseball hats worn incorrectly, but sagging is by far the most idiotic thing da boyz in da hood ever came up with with.

Never seen it with Tighty-Whities... I am speechless

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 29):
My vote for the worst fashion trend: bling. Especially grilles. Those things just look stupid.

I guess the ones the kids can pop out are ok, but I would think that making it permanant would be a pain in the ass.

Superfly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 35):

Jump.....Jump....

Damn, why did you have to remind us?  yuck 
Bring back the Concorde

columba

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:44 am

I'll add shirts, especially polo shirts, with the collars up. ARGH!

That is the look at every law faculty in Germany and is refered to as the "Juristen-Look" by students from othe faculties.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

nosedive

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
Quoting Falstaff (Reply 26):Now in my high school photos I look like a idiot.

Come to think of it, a mullet with the MC Hameer pants?......YIKES!  

I agree with most. I don't like the baggy pants look at all.   

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 6): I can't believe women actually want to wear something that makes their legs look stubby and their hips look wide.
Hey I like that look.  

I'd knew you'd crack superfly  Wink

Superfly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 39):
I'd knew you'd crack superfly

Acutally I think it would be cool if Falstaff grew a mullet and sported the MC Hammer look today.
I'd praise him for being a non-conformist individual.
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
The worst . . . . I can't even call it a "fashion" trend. Just ignorance run amok.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 23):
Actually, tight pants on an overweight male are just as bad.

checkmark  checkmark 

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 26):
I like wrangler jeans because they fit good and they are cheap.

Same here. Dress code is pretty casual at work, and though I stick to Dockers & button down shirts most days, on Fridays I can occasionally be found in my Wranglers, Ropers & rugby shirt (collar down thank you  Wink ). Even then though I tend to be one of the more conservatively dressed. Long way from the coat & tie days of my early 20s!
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:00 am

Kriss Kross

I can't understand why Guidos WANT to look like Guidos. Do they love being classified one notch above trailer trash?

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

mdsh00

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 17):
- wearing Uggs (those trendy winter boots with fur tops), especially when worn with skirts or miniskirts. WE'RE IN LOS ANGELES FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!! It's 80 goddamn degrees, and it's never gonna freakin snow! There is very little in my life that has pissed me off more than that trend.

YES!! I hated that trend and I'm glad my gf never took part in it. The only time she bought UGG's were when she got into school in New York.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

falstaff

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):

Jump.....Jump....

Damn, why did you have to remind us?

While were at it remember ABC "Another Bad Creation" circa 1990.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 40):
Acutally I think it would be cool if Falstaff grew a mullet and sported the MC Hammer look today.
I'd praise him for being a non-conformist individual.

I went from being a non conformist to being a conformist. I listen to AM radio too. Scary isn't it.

Can one even buy MC Hammer pants now?

duke

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:37 am

That's easy....oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back, and the crotch hanging down somewhere between the calves. DUMB!!!! Not to mention unattractive...give me a man in a well-fitted pair of jeans any day.

I second that Kmh, but particularly for girls! Maybe the situation is a little different in some places, but here in Prague, it is very hard to find a teenage girl or younger woman without either 1. a shirt that cannot be properly tucked in 2. jeans or other pants (and in some cases, even skirts) that are too low. And so, if you do not see midriff when they are walking down the street, you will see it when they lean over. I am SO tired of seeing flashes of midriff or even b*** cracks (is there a polite term for this) and what underwear you have or do not have under there. The really stupid thing IMO is how many girls follow this and are settling for such poor quality (at prices which are shameful for this part of the world). Even in the middle of winter. Give me a nice girl with a nice pair of jeans that is not skin tight and actually has a waist, and a shirt that can actually be tucked in or pulled over. I ask for nothing more!!!

In general, I dislike the concept of following fashion for its own sake, because that way, differences among people are undermined, everyone looks the same, and some people form prejudices against those who are different. I could not care less if I know someone who has had the same hairstyle since 1974. It is their look, who am I or some hairdresser to tell them they are "outdated?" I may like a particular fashion, someone else may not. People should feel comfortable being what they want to be.

Some people need to be reminded that THERE IS NO FASHION POLICE. Big grin

Other looks I do not fancy, past and present, mostly relating to the body:

-piercings

-frizzy or poodle hair, esp. perms. One of the dumbest fashion ideas from the 20th century is to weld the hair into a shape with corrosive chemicals, likely damaging it in the process and making it difficult or almost impossible to reverse.

-Femullets. A man with a mullet, now that is kinda funny and can be easily fixed. But when a girl chops her hair up like this, that is a horror! In that case there is really nothing better to do than to chop it all off and start again!

-crewcuts, flattops and high-and-tights. "A real man´s haircut." Umm, why?

-Deliberately grubby, acid washed, artificially coarsened jeans.

Big disclaimer: these are my personal aesthetic opinions, not any standards I would force on someone. If anyone wants to look this way and they are consenting for themselves, that is their business. Not mine.

Toulouse

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 am

That's easy....oversized trousers with underwear sticking out of the back, and the crotch hanging down somewhere between the calves. DUMB!!!! Not to mention unattractive

Exactly what came to mind as I saw the thread title. I can't stand that.

give me a man in a well-fitted pair of jeans any day. YUM

I fully agree with you but with a change of sex from man to woman for me... give me a woman in a nice tight-fitting pair of jeans any day... YUMMY! Just to look at of course, as I remember the wife! lol
Am currently watching planes landing at Basel Mulhouse from my hotel in Saint-Louis (France). Just took a quick trip into visit Basel, a Swiss city I didn't know, and must say there was a GREAT selection of fine looking young women in tight-fitting jeans... ok I think I better leave this thread and get back to work or I'm going to get myself totally distracted!
Long live Aer Lingus!

kmh1956

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
that's ALL Corey Hart's fault.

Yeah...and can you see what he's doing to his collar?

Quoting Duke (Reply 45):
b*** cracks (is there a polite term for this)

That IS the polite term!!! I do agree, however. We had our annual audit a few weeks ago, and the girl who came in to do the audit looked to be a really well-groomed, well-dressed person.....until she bent over to get something out of her briefcase. Then it was all thong and backside....truly tacky. She looked like trailer park trash.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Superfly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting Duke (Reply 45):
I am SO tired of seeing flashes of midriff or even b*** cracks (is there a polite term for this) and what underwear you have or do not have under there.

I disagree. I LOVE this trend!  yes 
Bring back the Concorde

andz

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 18):
Eh, sometimes you have no where to put them.

It's daytime, the sun is shining, put them on your f'ing nose!!  Smile
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...