helvknight

George Carlin On Airport Security (NSFW)

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:55 pm

I did do a search.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

SpencerII

RE: George Carlin On Airport Security (NSFW)

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:33 pm

isn't this the same guy who finds suicide "funny" hmm

HPLASOps

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:43 pm

I believe this is from the special "You Are All Diseased," circa 2002. I personally prefer his rant on airline language from "Jammin in New York" - much better.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

md80fanatic

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:51 pm

That's classic Carlin, very good. I haven't heard him in years, thanks for posting this clip.

How can anyone really disagree with what he said? Airport security IS an illusion.

SPREE34

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting MD80fanatic (Reply 3):
Airport security IS an illusion.

An exspensive illusion the way we are doing it, and NOT just in dollars.

We could be doing a much better job. Profiling needs to be implemeted. I didn't say "Racial Profiling", I said "Profiling". For some reason or another every time Profiling is discussed in the US, someone starts prefacing it with the word racial. I am as white as most other Irish folks, and I HAVE been profiled in an airport. (obviously not in the US) I don't have a problem with it.
If the hightened threat of the week comes from a group with green skin wearing yellow striped coats, then pull them aside and chat a bit.
Profiling also involves much more than a persons look, that seems to be overlooked in discussions as well.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

kalvado

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:49 pm

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 4):

We could be doing a much better job. Profiling needs to be implemented.

One problem of profiling is that it can be reverse engineered. It may take time, but a bad guy could get into a "harmless" profile group. It may take time and money; but it can always be done - until profiling flags 99.9% of people as dangerous.
Now think about political aspect of the issue, try wearing TSA management hat: you're a high rank politician/manager, assigned a task you know you will fail, sooner or later, no matter what you do. You may be lucky and nothing would happen until you retire, or things can go out of control right now.
What can you do to keep your job? Possibly you would try to demonstrate everyone that you're taking the job more than seriously, and try doing more than your best?

fridgmus

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:13 am

Damn, He's too funny. George Carlin never fails to crack me up!  bigthumbsup 

Thanks Helvknight, I needed that!

Marc
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

JBo

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:24 am

Just for the Record, "You Are All Diseased" - where this piece comes from - dates from 1999...well before the attacks in 2001.

Nonetheless, a great bit and classic Carlin.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 1):
isn't this the same guy who finds suicide "funny" hmm

Nope. He does "Thomas the Tank Engine."

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

aloges

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 2):
I personally prefer his rant on airline language from "Jammin in New York" - much better.

There is one major inconsistency in it though, "Let Evil Knevil get ON the plane!" and yet he says "it's just a bunch of people getting on an airplane" to describe the "boarding process" - I know, I can be a perfectionist at times. Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

HPLASOps

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 9):
There is one major inconsistency in it though, "Let Evil Knevil get ON the plane!" and yet he says "it's just a bunch of people getting on an airplane" to describe the "boarding process" - I know, I can be a perfectionist at times.

Nice catch, didn't even cross my mind as many times as I heard it. My favorite line from that bit is this: "Sometimes the pilot will say 'We'll be on the ground in 15 minutes.' Well that's a little vague, isn't it?"
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

aloges

Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:24 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 10):
"Sometimes the pilot will say 'We'll be on the ground in 15 minutes.' Well that's a little vague, isn't it?"

Lol, just as nice as "it's those sudden unscheduled corn field and housing development stops that seem to interrupt the flow of my day"!  Silly
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

texan

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 11):
Lol, just as nice as "it's those sudden unscheduled corn field and housing development stops that seem to interrupt the flow of my day"!

Did I sleep through some kind of military swearing in ceremony? Captain? He's a f*****g pilot and he better be happy with that! If those sightseeing tours are any sign of his intellect, he's lucky to be working at all. "Tell the 'captain' that Air Marshal Carlin says Go f*** yourself!"

"For any personal belongings." Well what other kinds of belongings are there beside personal? Public belongings? Do these people honestly think I'm going to be traveling with a fountain I stole from the park?

That bit always has me on the floor  Silly

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."