mbj-11

Your Country's Worst Ever Leader?

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:17 am

Just sharing my two cents guys..............For Jamaica, undoubtedly Percival James Patterson (P J Patterson). He's sold everything to foreign investors for far less than the actual value, presided over a crime rate which has come close to civil war figures without doing anything much (didn't want to lose support among his warring supporters and enemies) and has also presided over the greatest devaluation of the currency since independence. Elected with a value of 1 US = $5.50 JM, departed 1 US = $ 65 JM (then) currency now $67.
Definitely a candidate for worst leader ever...........BTW his successor currently Portia Simpson Miller has taken over and in 10 months has lost $2 on the dollar and has broken the murder record under her watch. As according to her she won't do anything until she gets her own mandate........ definitely a close rival in her short tenure.

Who's your country's worst ever?
Jesus is the Christ and he alone saves

QANTASforever

RE: Your Country's Worst Ever Leader?

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 am

The worst was Prime Minister Billy McMahon. No question about that. He was weak, ineffective, and contributed nothing. He believed that the whole point of politics was "...getting voted in!".

The next to worst is the current Prime Minister, John Howard. A man who began life as a hate spitting racist, and went on to encourage a culture of uninspired apathy among the population. He never listens, he is in a race to stay in office despite his complete lack of interest in doing what is really best for the majority of Australians (a majority that never voted for the man). He constantly embarrasses himself and his country on the world stage, and not once in his almost 12 years in office has he ever said anything inspirational or memorable with the obvious exception of a quote extolling the virtues of micromanaged immigration. Bravo, Prime Minister. Your time is running out...

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

connies4ever

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Thread starter):
Who's your country's worst ever?

Nationalists in Canada would likely say Brian Mulroney (PM 1984-1993) as he signed the Free Trade Agreement with the US, then the Canada-US-Mexico free trade agreement. I think history will likely be kinder to him.

I think you have to reach back a little further, either John Deifenbaker (PM 1957-63) or Robert Bennett (PM 1930-35).

Deifenbaker presided over a dysfunctional government that tried to straddle the gap between western progressivism and Quebec nationalists -- kind of like riding two horses. Lots of cabinet scandals as I recall, although I was pretty young at the time. Our dollar weakened from being above par with the US$ to being well below par. Cancelling the Avro Arrow interceptor program is a red herring since the Liberals would have done it in any event.

Borden was present when the Great Depression devastated the country.

All three Conservatives, interestingly.

I'll turn it around: who was the greatest ever leader?

For Canada, I'll vote for either Mackenzie King or Trudeau.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

aloges

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 am

Not really a question here: Adolf Hitler. It's pointless to explain why.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

N1120A

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:58 am

It is pretty close between the current one, George W. Bush and Dwight Eisenhower, to whom most of the problems of today and yesterday (Iran, Israel, Vietnam) can be attributed.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Arniepie

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:33 am

For Belgium I would say without a doubt King Leopold II (end of 19th century) , the shit he pulled in the Congo mainly for his personal wealth is mind-boggling.

People should not only be taught its country's greatest moments but definately also its darkest periods, something that is missing these days in many countries and schools.
[edit post]

stirling

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
It is pretty close between the current one, George W. Bush and Dwight Eisenhower

Dubya is obvious.
Ike however is a bold deviation from convential wisdom.
Unfortunately, Eisenhower is synonomous with that warm and fuzzy decade of the 1950s, where the USA was living under a blanket of self-denial. (Kind of like today) Truth is, if one is to trace the source of what drives Iranian, and Muslim animosity in general towards the USA, look no further than the office of Dwight Eisenhower.

Mossadeq, the freely elected President had a problem with the British stealing the oil wealth of Iran, so he nationalized the industry. Enter Ike on the side of the Brits and the problem is soon gone. Mossadeq is assasinated, the Shah is brought to power. For a quarter century this festered in the minds of the Iranian people, their nation being a puppet to U.S. interests, to the point they could take it no more.
The hostage crisis, as horrible as it was, did not just happen because the Iranians "Hated our freedom". Understanding the events of history goes a long way in understanding why the world is they way it is today.

In his final address to the American people, I think Eisenhower may have been expressing remorse at his actions over the last 8 years in office when he warned "be aware the power of the military-industrial complex..." How could he have had such vision? Because the rise of corporate America determining foreign policy took hold under his presidency.
He couldn't come out and say he screwed up....but at least he could warn the U.S. to the monster he had created.
Delete this User

MaidensGator

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 6):
Mossadeq is assasinated, the Shah is brought to power.

Mossadeq was sentenced to 3 years house arrest for treason and died of natural causes in his home....

But why let the facts get in the way of a good story....
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

aloges

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 7):

Nevertheless, he was ousted during a coup staged mostly by foreign nations.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Boeing744

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:15 am

Note: My flag says Austria, but I am Canadian

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 2):
Deifenbaker presided over a dysfunctional government that tried to straddle the gap between western progressivism and Quebec nationalists -- kind of like riding two horses. Lots of cabinet scandals as I recall, although I was pretty young at the time.

I wasn't alive at the time, so I don't really know much about him, but if I recall correctly, wasn't he the one who got Natives full voting rights? Certainly that must count for some credit...

My vote would be for Mulroney also.

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 2):
All three Conservatives, interestingly.

Hehe... wonder why?  Wink

MaidensGator

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):

I didn't dispute the overall post. I am familiar with the history and the support the Shah received from the US and Britain. However, I'm sure not everyone on this board does know what happened. Why sensationalize the events. I think you'll admit "assassinated" just sounds so much worse than "died at home."

zruda

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:33 am

then for my country it was probably Reinhard Heydrich... thought we had a few red swines as well
there is no coincidence

Queso

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting Mbj-11 (Thread starter):
Your Country's Worst Ever Leader?

Pretty easy question, at least within the time I have been alive.

N1120A

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:58 am

Mossadeq was sentenced to 3 years house arrest for treason and died of natural causes in his home....

"Treason". In reality, he was doing the will of his people, the people who made up Iran. The only one who committed treason was the Shah who came back in the place of a deposed, democratically elected government.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):

That coup was practically orchestrated by the CIA and carried out by the SAS in its entirety. Popular support in Iran was firmly behind Mossadeq, who had no designs on Soviet-style totalitarianism, rather having Iranians in control of their own economy. Most ignore, forget or don't know that one of his first actions was to balance the Iranian budget without the use of Petro-Dollars (or Tomans in this case), maintaining money made from oil for surplus. He was rather conservative economically and would have fit in well with purported US ideology, but greed and allegiance to the UK trumped that. Eisenhower's orders to reinstall the Shah were essentially the direct cause of the 1979 Iranian Revolution and the 28 years of bad relations between two countries with very similar core (read non-religious, and even religious to a point) ideologies.

Mossadeq, the freely elected President

Prime Minister

Mossadeq is assasinated

He was not assasinated. In fact, the coup was almost bloodless.

miamiair

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 12):

I'll Second that one!

Ineffective, hung his "allies/friends" out to dry.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

VHVXB

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 1):
Prime Minister, John Howard.

His time definately coming to an end. He has multiple issues to contend with at the next election which will eventually bring his downfall

N1120A

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 14):
hung his "allies/friends" out to dry.

If anything, Carter should have hung an "ally", namely the Shah of Iran, out to dry and placed his support behind the more leftist factions in Iran (and I don't mean the out and out Sovietists, I mean the vast group of moderates from Tudeh who are some of the biggest capitalists the US has ever seen). It would have kept Khomeini on the margins and allowed Bakhtiar and even Banisadr to govern the country out of its transitional period. Of course, Reagan's support of Saddam Hussein in his little war of aggression didn't help matters.

Cadet985

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 am

It is pretty close between the current one, George W. Bush and Dwight Eisenhower, to whom most of the problems of today and yesterday (Iran, Israel, Vietnam) can be attributed.

Israel is NOT a problem for us. Israel is an ally of the US. The problem is the Palestinian regime, which while Israel is making a concerted effort for peace, the Palestinians are making a concerted effort to increase their suicide bombings, rocket attacks, etc.

Marc

searpqx

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:45 am

I don't know if I'd call Carter the 'worst'. Certainly one of the most ineffective, and some of his actions/inactions may have exacerbated problems, but I don't think he actually caused any long term damage to the country.

I won't say GW, simply because its too early. I think he will be judged harshly, but we won't know that for awhile.

I think Coolidge and/or Harding rank up there 'worst' because of actual damage done to the country. The corruption in their governments set the stage for much of politics as we know it today. In my lifetime, I'd have to say Nixon. Despite some accomplishments in policy, the damage Watergate did to the American psyche can't be underestimated.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:49 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 14):

Quote:
Queso (Reply 12):

I'll Second that one!

Third.

LBJ and James Buchanan have to be up there (or rather, down there) too.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

N1120A

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:08 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 17):
Israel is NOT a problem for us. Israel is an ally of the US.

Switch from the Kool-Aid to Crystal Light man. If the US hadn't pissed away its best and most natural ally in the Middle East, Iran, what has happened in Israel in the last 10 or so years would likely have never come to pass. It is this overreliance on a single ally that was formed under dubious circumstances and the willingness to go along with whatever illegal scheme they cook up next that has fueled the dogma of the opportunistic brainwashers that turn poor people into their own political weapons. Carter was making serious headway with Camp David and would have been able to see that through had he not had to turn his head toward Iran, which should have been a done deal a quarter century before. Meanwhile, the opportunistic political elite in Israel, particularly on the right, took the chance to solidify their political and economic influence. You went from having a secular, strong ally in Iran as the number 1 US ally in the region to a non-secular (anyone who says religion and state are truely seperate in Israel is blind), aggressor nation backed up a number 2 in the form of none other than Saddam.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 19):
LBJ

Why? Because he actually made a difference. While he is inexorably linked to Vietnam, Eisenhower got us into that one too.

solnabo

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:23 am

Olof Palme IMO!

Very pompous and snotty with many political friends and foe.

R.I.P.

Micke//  yuck 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

ajd1992

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:28 am

Maggie Thatcher, definately. I've heard some of the stories from my dad.... Evil bitch  Silly

Or Tony Blair. He basically does what Dubya does when it comes to war.... I said to 808TWA that Blair is Dubya's bitch, he laughed but it's true in a sense.

QANTAS077

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:28 am

The next to worst is the current Prime Minister, John Howard.

he's a disgrace to our nation, he's divided the people of this great country like no other, he's lied to the people who employ him (the public) at every opportunity, he's brought terrorism closer to our doorstep then any other PM, his continued apathy towards David Hicks is a disgrace to the "fair go" way that this country is famous for...and he's about to lead us into a recession we didn't have to have.

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 15):
His time definately coming to an end. He has multiple issues to contend with at the next election which will eventually bring his downfall

if it doesn't then it's fair to say we're living in a country full of idiots...the only thing that can save Howard is a terrorist attack or something of that nature close to home.

connies4ever

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 9):
I wasn't alive at the time, so I don't really know much about him, but if I recall correctly, wasn't he the one who got Natives full voting rights? Certainly that must count for some credit...

That's true and to his government's credit.

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 5):
For Belgium I would say without a doubt King Leopold II (end of 19th century) , the shit he pulled in the Congo mainly for his personal wealth is mind-boggling.

From what I have read, fully agree.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Halcyon

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:45 am

Third.

LBJ and James Buchanan have to be up there (or rather, down there) too

I'd have to say he was a turd too. However, for utter turdery, I might have to say Mr. Warren G. Harding...he did play favorites like no one else.

I also am dislike Clinton and our current president, although I dislike the current one due to the fact that he seems not to care what conservatives think on many issues, and I disliked Clinton for numerous reasons that have been hashed out eleventy billion times.

Lucas  Smile

egmcman

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 22):
Maggie Thatcher, definately. I've heard some of the stories from my dad.... Evil bitch

Ask your old man about Edward (Ted) Heath or Tony Benn they were lousy PM's from what what I have been told.

JAL

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:13 am

It has to be our current Prime Minister, Stephen Harper.
Work Hard But Play Harder

TheSorcerer

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting Zruda (Reply 11):
then for my country it was probably Reinhard Heydrich... thought we had a few red swines as well

I thought he was just head of the Gestapo in the Czech Republic.

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

Braybuddy

Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:33 am

I don't think anyone, apart from a few diehard republicans, would argue that Charles J Haughey was the worst leader we've ever had. He was corrupt, and lined his pockets with millions in "donations" from wealthy businessmen looking for influence and favours. He was arrogant and self-serving in the extreme, and fortunately was exposed in the end by tribunal set-up to examine corrupt payments to politicians.

He came from a very poor background, yet led the life of a wealthy country squire, which was completely financed by "donations" from wealthy individuals. When he was prime minister he once told a bank, to which he was greatly in debt, that he could be a "troublesome adversary". The debts were never pursued.
He died last year with his reputation in tatters.

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:42 am

Dubya is obvious.

I fail to see why Dubya is obvious to someone from Italy?

Spot on. In my adult life, the absolute biggest waste of space in the Oval Office. Of course, credit where due, as a statesman and diplomat after his time in DC, he's been a leader. He just couldn't get it together in the White House. Interestingly, he's a hard core Christian, yet the masses don't proclaim him a Jesus freak as they do Pres. Bush? Hmmm, guess we'll have to live with that democrat double standard . . .

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 17):
Israel is NOT a problem for us

Israel is a problem for us if you're a bleeding heart . . . . therein lies the issue.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
I don't know if I'd call Carter the 'worst'. Certainly one of the most ineffective,

checkmark  OK, I'll go with this. Duane's hit it spot on. Ineffective. . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Thomson735

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 22):
Or Tony Blair

Come on are you serious, maybe you need to think a bit more

AirCop

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:34 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):
Interestingly, he's a hard core Christian, yet the masses don't proclaim him a Jesus freak as they do Pres. Bush? Hmmm, guess we'll have to live with that democrat double standard .

Because he didn't let his religious beliefs dictate his administration policies.

Of course, credit where due, as a statesman and diplomat after his time in DC,

Actually he been a pain in the ass to each administration since he left office, remember Haiti, North Korea, going against official US policy.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
I think Coolidge and/or Harding rank up there 'worst' because of actual damage done to the country.

One other candidate would be Herbert Hoover. Just a bad overall period for the Republicans.

N776AU

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:45 am

One of the reasons I'm enbarassed to be from Georgia. Anyway, here's mine:

Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

Halcyon

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting N776AU (Reply 33):
One of the reasons I'm enbarassed to be from Georgia.

laughing  I have to include Julia Roberts to the list of famous idiots from my home state.  Wink

Falcon84

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:54 am

I'd put Jimmy Carter second in my lifetime, right ahead of Richard Nixon.

Carter is a good man, who was over his head in the presidency. And he came along at a time when the economy was in the tank, which never helps any president.

Nixon wasn't a good man, but he was a brilliant politician. He was probably unequalled in his day in foreign policy and in his knowledge of the U.S.S.R. He also had "that vision thing". But he was a petty, spiteful, paranoid man, who's pettiness ended up disgracing himself and his office, and it ruined his name and his presidency.

I'm not familiar with all the presidents in the 1800's, but since 1900 the worst president was probably Hoover. Yes, he tried a few things to try and stave of the Depression, but some of his policies actually boosted the demise, and he seemd an aloof, uncaring man, who wasn't willing to think outside the box to try and get the nation moving forward.

I think once history looks back, George W. Bush will be up there wth Hoover, Carter and Nixon.

I think if I rank all the presidents in my lifetime, I'd have to do it this way right now. (Best to worst).

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Bill Clinton
3. Gerald Ford
4. John F. Kennedy
5. George H.W. Bush
6. Lyndon Johnson
7. George W. Bush
8. Jimmy Carter
9. Richard Nixon
Work Right, Fly Hard

bagoldex

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:14 am

Definitely George W. Bush, is there even a debate outside of Utah, Mississippi and Texas?

bagoldex

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting N776AU (Reply 33):
One of the reasons I'm enbarassed to be from Georgia.

I would be far more embarrassed of my inability to spell "embarrassed" though in general I would be rather embarrassed if I lived in Georgia also, and for infinitely more reasons than just Carter.

v jet

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:42 am

Paul Keating and his 17% interest rates. Arrogant prick he was!

HPLASOps

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Interestingly, he's a hard core Christian, yet the masses don't proclaim him a Jesus freak as they do Pres. Bush?

Easy one ANC, while Bush subscribes to the "Faith without works" brand of Christianity, Carter was more along the lines of letting his actions do his talking for him. While Carter has spent his free time working for Habitat for humanity and trying to come with environmental solutions for the world, Bush just says "God Bless" as he's order more troops to kill and die in a suspect war, allowed to the rich to get richer (didn't Jesus say "a camel has an easier time passing through the eye of the needle than a rich man has getting into Heaven?"), and shunned all efforts at universal healthcare for everyone. Calling yourself a Christian is nice - but you should act like one too.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

QANTAS077

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting V Jet (Reply 38):
Paul Keating and his 17% interest rates. Arrogant prick he was!

hangon champ, the govt has nothing to do with the RBA, our economy is the way it is now because of Keatings vision...you seem mis-informed, do yourself a huge favour and go learn about what Keating setup before making stupid comments.

oh...back in 1990 when rates were at 17% Keating was NOT PM of Australia, Bob Hawke was, Keating took over in december 91 when the rate was 7.50%, in his term as PM rates went from 7.50% to a record low of 4.75%, in the last 5 years of Howard's government we've had 8 straight interest rate rises..but that doesn't mean shit right? because the government can guarantee that interest rates will remain low..just wait for Glenn Stevens to announce another hike in the coming months.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Why? Because he actually made a difference. While he is inexorably linked to Vietnam, Eisenhower got us into that one too.

Why? Because he sucked. While it is true that he wasn't the President who first got the US involved in Vietnam (and theoretically, one could point past Eisenhower and back to Truman and his policy of Containment, but that's not important right now), but he flat out SUCKED at managing the war. He and McNamara micro-manged the war from Washington rather than letting the military fight the war. The restrictions put on the Rules of Engagement, what targets we could and couldn't hit, when we could hit those targets, etc. were incredibly ridiculous. We lost that war because we refused to fight it.

Quoting BAGoldEx (Reply 36):
Definitely George W. Bush, is there even a debate outside of Utah, Mississippi and Texas?

sarcastic  Nice, factual argument we have here. Then you follow it up with this great comment:

Quoting BAGoldEx (Reply 37):
I would be rather embarrassed if I lived in Georgia also, and for infinitely more reasons than just Carter.

Quoting BAGoldEx (Reply 37):
I would be far more embarrassed of my inability to spell "embarrassed" though in general I would be rather embarrassed if I lived in Georgia also, and for infinitely more reasons than just Carter.

Coming from the guy who couldn't properly link the introduction of the sentence to the second half of this question:

This should most likely read "Definitely George W. Bush. Is there even a debate outside of Utah, Mississippi and Texas?"
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

NASCARAirforce

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Unfortunately, Eisenhower is synonomous with that warm and fuzzy decade of the 1950s, where the USA was living under a blanket of self-denial. (Kind of like today)

How is it like today? People back in the 1950s didn't question their government and everyone was all the same like you were in the movie Pleasantville. People question the government today. They woke up in the 1960s with Vietnam. In the 1950s they accepted everything that the government did. However, in the 1950s they did not have the media like we do now. Faux News didn't exist and people were just starting to get TV sets.

Anyway, at least during my life time the worst president is and will be:

dw9115

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:07 pm

Dubya is obvious.

What Eisenhower you must be mad. Bush is by far better then are WORST PRESIDENT EVER WILLIAM (BILL) JEFFERSON CLINTON!

VHVXB

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:26 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 23):
his continued apathy towards David Hicks is a disgrace to the "fair go" way that this country is famous for

and not mention his ministers Ruddock and Downer who constantly played down that they couldn't bring Hicks back until now

MaidensGator

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 13):

"Treason". In reality, he was doing the will of his people, the people who made up Iran. The only one who committed treason was the Shah who came back in the place of a deposed, democratically elected government.

But justly or not, the only one convicted of treason was Mossadeq...

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
LBJ

Why? Because he actually made a difference.

He did? Oh yeah, I almost forgot he and his Great Society ended poverty....

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 41):

sarcastic Nice, factual argument we have here. Then you follow it up with this great comment:

checkmark 

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 42):
How is it like today? People back in the 1950s didn't question their government and everyone was all the same like you were in the movie Pleasantville. People question the government today.

That's right, nobody in the 50's questioned government.... that's something new.... And how did I miss that everyone was all the same....

melpax

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:43 pm

Bravo, Prime Minister. Your time is running out...

I think you might be right, Rudd will proably be the next PM. Mind you, I thought Latham might have got in last time, but he was pretty much certifiable.....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Confuscius

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:29 pm

Darth Cheney, heck he's running the show and The Decider is taking orders...George, I am your father.
Ain't I a stinker?

MD11Engineer

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 32):
One other candidate would be Herbert Hoover. Just a bad overall period for the Republicans.

During the same period we had Bruening of the Christian Zentrums Partei. He was the last chancellor of the Weimar Republic before Hitler and followed a distinctly conservative policy, even when in 1929 the great recession started and millions in Germany became impoverished unemployed (according to my grandma no unemployment insurance back then, so if you lost your job you lost everything).
Ok, you could argue that at the same time he was facing the dilema of WW1 reparations to France and Britain, so if he wanted to increase government spending to get the unemployed (who were running to support the Nazis and the Communists) off the street, he couldn't at the same time justify the not paying of reparations to France and the UK, who were threatening (especially France, which actually occupied the Ruhr area, the heartland of German heavy industry back then, when Germany failed to pay up in the early 1920s) to invade again.
The biggest mistake, besides his economical lassaiz faire capitalist policies, was that he though that he, together with industrialists and the military leadership, could use and control the Nazis and therefore prepared Hitler's rise. I have to say though that at the same time there was unrest within the Reichswehr, which actually staged a coup in the state of Prussia to oust the Social Democrat prime minister in 1930.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

UAXDXer

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:42 pm

What in the hell is that supposed to mean? If this were the case Dubya would have been history a long time ago.  Yeah sure
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick