rootsair

Switzerland,best Country For Tourism In The World!

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:01 am

The World Economic Forum has launched the first-ever Travel and Tourism Index covering 124 countries around the world.

In many countries, travel and tourism is a critical sector impacting national prosperity and economic growth. A cross-country analysis of the drivers of competitiveness in travel and tourism will provide useful comparative information for making business decisions and provide additional value to governments wishing to improve their travel and tourism environments.

“The index is not a ‘beauty contest’, or a statement about the attractiveness of a country. On the contrary, the index measures the factors that make it attractive to develop the travel and tourism industry of individual countries,” said Jennifer Blanke, Senior Economist of the World Economic Forum.

Switzerland was well ranked thanks to its great transport, hotel infrastructure, safety, amongst many other criteria!
Its good too see them well renaked.
Not some surprises,
Spain, the country with most tourists is only 15th and Italy only 33rd !
As for Costa rica I'm happy to see they are amongst the top ranked in Latin america!

http://www.weforum.org/en/initiative...ort/CompetitivenessIndex/index.htm

http://forummaps.maplecroft.com/loadmap?template=min&issueID=350

[Edited 2007-03-01 20:07:55]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

AirCop

RE: Switzerland,best Country For Tourism In The World!

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:31 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):

I thought that France was the most visited country. Must have old information, but I love both Spain and Switzerland for different reasons.

Arrow

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:10 am

I love Switzerland; was there for a few days last summer. It's number one on my list.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Mir

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:26 am

Switzerland was well ranked thanks to its great transport, hotel infrastructure, safety, amongst many other criteria!

Such as these criteria?

http://www.bigfoto.com/europe/switzerland/swiss-alps-snow-9u.jpg

I love going to Switzerland - too bad that on one of my last two trips I was miserable due to pollen allergies. But I very much enjoyed the week I spent there last summer, and I'm looking forward to when I can go back.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

QANTAS077

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:09 am

lovely place but it's to bloody expensive!

DC10extender

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:32 am

Well, at least they won at something.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:48 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 4):
bloody expensive

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

kiwiinoz

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:09 am

I like Switzerland. Have visted twice. Pleasant.....not overly exciting though.....

I would say that it looks a like like a list complied by a bunch of economists, which is I guess correct!

BA

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:34 am

Switzerland is one of my favorite countries in the world. I regularly visit it every 1-2 years.

My last visit was in August for two weeks and I had a fantastic time. I would love to go again this summer, but unfortunately I may not be able to.  Sad
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

sandrozrh

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:40 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 5):
Well, at least they won at something.

What is that supposed to mean?

NoUFO

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 6):

Social housing in Geneva. So what?  Confused
I support the right to arm bears

DC10extender

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 9):
What is that supposed to mean?

Well, Switzerland isn't noted for much except banks, chocolate, and cuckoo clocks. And neutrality. Big grin  duck 
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

Bizjetslover

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 11):
and cuckoo clocks.

Not even for that, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckoo_clocks

Mike
TMFNAI (the member formely known as IwantaBBJ)

NoUFO

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:33 pm

Quoting Bizjetslover (Reply 12):
and cuckoo clocks.

Not even for that, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckoo_clocks

"The first cuckoo clocks

In 1629, many decades before clockmaking was established in the Black Forest, (...)"

grumpy  Another dark part of our history..
I support the right to arm bears

sebolino

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):

I thought that France was the most visited country. Must have old information, but I love both Spain and Switzerland for different reasons.

No, your information is correct.
It's still France in 2006 with 78 millions tourists.

The only problem with Switzerland is the lack of sea. Nobody noticed ??  Smile

alphafloor

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Well, Switzerland isn't noted for much except banks, chocolate, and cuckoo clocks. And neutrality.

Don't forget, Alinghi won the America's Cup !  Smile Not too bad for a small country with out sea, haha  Wink and Roger Federer is Swiss  Smile
Whatever

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:01 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Such as these criteria?

actual statistics in Switzerland show that it also is THESE criteria :

http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/san_salvatore.jpg

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

cuckoo clocks

most cuckoo clocks are produced in Baden-Wuerttemberg which is in Germany, but most SALES of these clocks indeed take place in Switzerland, at a good margin, to gullible tourists from overseas !  laughing 

ME AVN FAN

RE: Switzerland,best Country For Tourism In The Wo

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting Sebolino (Reply 14):
The only problem with Switzerland is the lack of sea. Nobody noticed ??

true, but lots of lakes :

RobertNL070

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 17):
most cuckoo clocks are produced in Baden-Wuerttemberg which is in Germany,

Not everything is made in China then  biggrin 

When I was a kid we used to go to Lucerne for the Easter break. I believe Keanu Reeves was there last month.

My brother caught his very first fish in Lake Lucerne. Since then he's won some respectable prizes as a coarse fisherman.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

David L

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:29 pm

I'll be back there next month. Woohoo!

The only problem with Switzerland is the lack of sea. Nobody noticed ??

But I have heard a rumour of a submarine in Lake Geneva (sorry, but that's what it's called in English).  biggrin 

ME AVN FAN

RE: Switzerland,best Country For Tourism In The Wo

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 20):
a submarine in Lake Geneva (sorry, but that's what it's called in English)

that lake also in German is the Genfersee, but in French Lac de Geneve only means the last section of the Lac Leman. Just as there is no "Lake of Constance" in German language but the Bodensee. What you refer to is the small submarine of Mr Piccard which was in service off Lausanne during the National Exposition of 1964 (Expo64) and now is in the Traffic Museum in Lucerne .

[Edited 2007-03-02 13:09:40]

Marquis

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:37 pm

Congratulations to Switzerland. This country really deserves the award.

Anybody else noticed that 3 German-speaking countries and also neighbouring countries are among the top 3?
Riding the radials...

sandrozrh

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 15):

Actually, Switzerland does well in a lot of different sports which is quite remarkable for such a small country.

alphafloor

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 23):
Switzerland does well in a lot of different sports which is quite remarkable for such a small country

yes  absolutely, and Switzerland don't even need sea to win the America's Cup  Wink
Whatever

rootsair

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:47 am

Well, Switzerland isn't noted for much except banks, chocolate, and cuckoo clocks. And neutrality.

I think its already that! And the name Swissis a sign of quality itself. For example, SWISS made has always rhymed with excellence

No, your information is correct.
It's still France in 2006 with 78 millions tourists.

that's counting all the French territories that it has overseas. I think that metropolitan France and spain are just about the same.

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 15):
Not too bad for a small country with out sea, haha Wink and Roger Federer is Swiss Smile

checkmark 

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Such as these criteria?

no the criteria were not esthetic ones , but more infrastructure, roads, transports, security, connection to the rest of the world(not many countries the size of Switzerland have 3 international airports out of which 2 of them attract more than 10million passengers a yra, look at Austria, Netherland, Belgium etc)
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

DC10extender

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:48 am

Don't forget Swiss army knife. Oh wait, thats a oxymoron. Big grin  Wink

alphafloor

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 21):
but in French Lac de Geneve only means the last section of the Lac Leman

Also known as "Petit Lac"
Whatever

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:18 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 26):
Swiss army knife. Oh wait, thats a oxymoron.

Why ??  scratchchin   scratchchin   scratchchin 

alphafloor

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:20 am

I'm surprised nobody in this thread mentioned something about watches yet, cuckoo clocks taken aside, they are german stuff  Wink Which Swiss watches do you know ?
Whatever

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting Alphafloor (Reply 29):
Swiss watches

watches like THIS one here last for decades. Received in 1966 and still going strong !

-

-
THIS here is the largest tower clock in Europe, St. Peter in Zuerich
-

RobertNL070

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 30):

Or even ...

1950-ish and still going strong.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:19 am

Swiss army knife. Oh wait, thats a oxymoron.

is the idea that Switzerland has no army ? what a strange notion. Here some details
-
Military of Switzerland

Military age 18-32 years of age obligatorily
36 for subaltern officers, 52 for staff officers and higher
Availability males age 15-49: 1,855,808 (2000 est.)
Fit for military service males age 15-49: 1,579,921 (2000 est.)
Reaching military age annually males: 42,169 (2000 est.)
Military expenditures
Dollar figure $3.1 billion (FY98)
Percent of GDP 1.2% (FY98)

The military of Switzerland, officially known as the Swiss Armed Forces, is a unique institution somewhere between a militia and a regular army. It is equipped with mostly modern, sophisticated, and well-maintained weapons systems and equipment.

The Swiss army originated from the cantonal troops of the Old Swiss Confederacy, called upon in cases of external threats by the Tagsatzung or by the canton in distress. In the federal treaty of 1815, the Tagsatzung prescribed cantonal troops to put a contingent of 2% of the population of each canton at the federation's disposition, amounting to a force of some 33,000 men. The cantonal armies were converted into the federal army (Bundesheer) with the constitution of 1848. From this time, it was illegal for the individual cantons to declare war or to sign capitulations or peace agreements. Paragraph 13 explicitly prohibited the federation from sustaining a standing army, and the cantons were allowed a maximum standing force of 300 each (not including the Landj�ger corps, a kind of police force). Paragraph 18 declared the obligation of every Swiss citizen to serve in the federal army if conscripted (Wehrpflicht), setting its size at 3% of the population plus a reserve of one and one half that number, amounting to a total force of some 80,000.

The first complete mobilization, under the command of Hans Herzog, was triggered by the Franco-Prussian War in 1871.

Paragraph 19 of the revised constitution of 1874 extended the definition of the federal army to every able-bodied citizen, swelling the size of the army at least in theory from below 150,000 to more than 700,000, with population growth during the 20th century rising further to some 1.5 million, the second largest armed force per capita after the Israeli Defence Forces.

A major maneuver commanded in 1912 by Ulrich Wille, a reputed germanophile, convinced visiting European heads of state, in particular Kaiser Wilhelm II, of the efficacy and determination of the Swiss defense. Wille subsequently was put in command of the second complete mobilization, and Switzerland escaped invasion in the course of World War I. Wille also ordered the suppression of the general strike (Landesstreik) of 1918 with military force. Three workers were killed, and a rather larger number of soldiers died of the Spanish flu during mobilization. In 1932, the army was called to suppress an anti-fascist demonstration in Geneva. The troops shot 13 unarmed demonstrators, wounding another 65. This incident permanently damaged the army's reputation, leading to persisting calls for its abolition among left wing politicians. In both the 1918 and the 1932 incidents, the troops deployed were consciously selected from rural regions such as the Berner Oberland, fanning the enmity between the traditionally conservative rural population and the urban working class. The third complete mobilization of the army took place during World War II under the command of Henri Guisan (see also Switzerland during the World Wars).

In 1989, the status of the army as a national icon was shaken by a popular initiative aiming at its complete dissolution (GSoA) receiving 35.6% support. This triggered a series of reforms, and in 1995, the number of troops was reduced to 400,000 ("Armee 95"). Article 58.1 of the 1999 constitution repeats that the army is "in principle" organized as a militia, implicitly allowing a small number of professional soldiers. A second initiative aimed at the army's dissolution in 2001 received a mere 21.9% support. Nevertheless, the army was shrunk again in 2004, to 220,000 men ("Armee XXI"), excluding the reserves.

On May 18, 2003, Swiss voters approved the military reform project "Army XXI" to drastically reduce the size of the Swiss Army. Starting in January 2004, the 524,000-strong militia was pared down to 220,000 conscripts, including 80,000 reservists. The defence budget of SFr 4.3 billion ($3.1 billion) was trimmed by SFr 300 million and some 2,000 jobs are expected to be shed between 2004 and 2011.

The armed forces consist of a small nucleus of about 3,600 professional staff, half of whom are either instructors or staff officers, with the rest being conscripts or volunteers. All able-bodied Swiss males aged between 18 and 30 (in some cases longer) must serve, and although entry to recruit school may be delayed for highschool and equivalent education, it is no longer possible to delay it for university studies. About one third of them are excluded for various reasons, and these either serve in Civil Protection or Civil Service.

For women, military service is voluntary, but they now can serve in all the armed forces and can join all units, including combat units. About 2,000 women already serve in the army but, until the "Armee XXI" reform, were not allowed to use weapons for purposes other than self-defence. Since the reform, women can take on any position within the armed forces.

Due to the small size of the Swiss Air Force, competition to become a jet or helicopter pilot is extremely high. Candidate pilots and parachutists have to start training on their own free time from the age of 16, well before recruitment. However, if candidates appear at recruitment with a certificate showing completion of preliminary training, they are practically guaranteed that duty, if they pass the following selection during service. Aspiring pilots must however first complete basic training in a regular unit and then make officer before entering into a unit of only aspiring pilots.

The army has established a new category of soldiers, called "single-term conscripts," who volunteer to serve a single term of 300 days of active duty. The total number of single-term conscripts cannot exceed 15% of a year's draft, and these volunteers can only serve in certain branches of the military. The rest continue to follow the traditional Swiss models of serving from four to five months at first and then doing three weeks (four for officers) per year until they serve the required number of days or reach the age of 34.

Soldiers can be required to advance at least one step in rank, either to corporal or lieutenant. This is often required of Italian-speaking soldiers, because they make up a minority in the population and the armed forces, and there is a need for Italian-speaking officers. Some wish to avoid promotion, since it entails longer service time, however it also means a much higher salary as well as the benefit of several important skills such as personnel management.

With the new reform, if a soldier is promoted to corporal, he can no longer advance to lieutenant and onwards, as they are now follow two separate branches of development. However, many soldiers still prefer this, not simply because of a shorter service time (compared to lieutenants) but also because they have a more active, up-close role with the other troops as regular soldiers, instead of managing from a distance as officers.

Being landlocked, Switzerland does not have a navy, but it does maintain a fleet of military patrol boats, numbering 10 in 2006. They patrol the Swiss lakes: Lake Geneva, Lake Lucerne and Lake Constance. These boats are sometimes humorously referred to as the "Swiss Navy".

Defence ministers

Member of the Federal Council heading the "Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sports", (formerly "Federal Military Department"):

* 1848-1854: Ulrich Ochsenbein
* 1855-1859: Friedrich Frey-Heros�
* 1860-1861: Jakob St�mpfli
* 1862 only: Constant Fornerod
* 1863 only: Jakob St�mpfli
* 1864-1866: Constant Fornerod
* 1867-1868: Emil Welti
* 1869 only: Victor Ruffy
* 1870-1871: Emil Welti
* 1872 only: Paul C�r�sole
* 1873-1875: Emil Welti
* 1876-1878: Johann Jakob Scherer
* 1879-1888: Wilhelm Hertenstein
* 1889-1890: Walter Hauser
* 1891-1897: Emil Frey
* 1897-1898: Eduard M�ller
* 1899 only: Eug�ne Ruffy
* 1900-1906: Eduard M�ller
* 1907 only: Ludwig Forrer
* 1908-1911: Eduard M�ller
* 1912-1913: Arthur Hoffmann
* 1914-1919: Camille Decoppet
* 1920-1929: Karl Scheurer
* 1930-1940: Rudolf Minger
* 1940-1954: Karl Kobelt
* 1955-1966: Paul Chaudet
* 1967-1968: Nello Celio
* 1968-1979: Rudolf Gn�gi
* 1980-1983: Georges-Andr� Chevallaz
* 1984-1986: Jean-Pascal Delamuraz
* 1987-1989: Arnold Koller
* 1989-1995: Kaspar Villiger
* 1996-2000: Adolf Ogi
* Since 2001: Samuel Schmid

[

Rank designations in German, French and Italian with abbreviations and corresponding NATO codes:

Enlisted:

* Rekrut (Rekr) / recrue (recr) / recluta (recl)
* Soldat (Sdt) / soldat (sdt) / soldato (sdt)
* Gefreiter (Gfr) / appoint� (app) / appuntato (app)
* Obergefreiter (Obgfr) / appoint�-chef (app chef) / appuntato capo

Non-commissioned officers:

* Korporal (Kpl) / caporal (cpl) / caporale (cpl)
* Wachtmeister (Wm) / sergent (sgt) / sergente (sgt)
* Oberwachtmeister (Obwm) / sergent-chef (sgt chef) / sergente capo
* Feldweibel (Fw) / sergent-major (sgtm) / sergente maggiore
* Fourier (Four) / fourrier (four) / furiere
* Hauptfeldweibel (Hptfw) / sergent-major chef (sgtm chef) / sergente maggiore capo
* Adjutant Unteroffizier (Adj Uof) / adjudant sous-officier (adj sof) / aiutante sottoufficiale
* Stabsadjutant (Stabsadj) / adjudant d��tat-major (adj EM) / aiutante di stato maggiore
* Hauptadjutant (Hptadj) / adjudant-major (adj maj) / aiutante maggiore
* Chefadjutant (Chefadj) / adjudant-chef (adj chef) / aiutante capo

Subaltern officers:

* OF-1 Leutnant (Lt) / lieutenant (lt) / tenente (ten)
* OF-1 Oberleutnant (Oblt) / premier-lieutenant (plt) / primo tenente (Iten)

Captain:

* OF-2 Hauptmann (Hptm) / capitaine (cap) / capitano (cap)

Staff officers:

* OF-3 Major (Maj) / major (maj) / maggiore (magg)
* OF-4 Oberstleutnant (Oberstlt) / lieutenant-colonel (lt col) / tenente colonnello
* OF-5 Oberst / colonel (col) / colonnello

Higher staff officers:

* OF-6 Brigadier (Br) / brigadier / brigadiere
* OF-7 Division�r (Div) / divisionnaire / divisionario
* OF-8 Korpskommandant (KKdt) / commandant de corps / comandante di corpo
* OF-9 General / g�n�ral / generale (There are technically no Generals. In time of war, the Parliament will elect a General)

High Command

In peacetime, the armed forces are led by the Chief of the Armed Forces (Chef der Armee), who reports to the head of the Department of Defence and to the Federal Council as a whole. The current Chief of the Armed Forces is Korpskommandant Christophe Keckeis.

In times of crisis or war, the Federal Assembly elects a General (OF-9) as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces (Oberbefehlshaber der Armee). There have been four Generals in Swiss history:

* Henri Dufour (1847-1848, Sonderbundskrieg; and 1856-57, Neuch�tel Crisis)
* Hans Herzog (1871-1872, Franco-Prussian War)
* Ulrich Wille (1914-1918, WW I)
* Henri Guisan (1939-1945, WW II)

Officers which would have the title of general in other armies do not bear the title general (OF-8: Commandant de corps, OF-7 Divisionnaire and OF-6 Brigadier), as this title is strictly a wartime designation. The distinctive feature of their rank insignia are traditionally stylized edelweiss (image). However, when Swiss Officers are involved in peacekeeping missions abroad, they often receive temporary ranks that do not exist in the Swiss Army, to put them on an equal footing with foreign officers. For example, the head of the Swiss delegation at the NNSC in Korea (see below) had a rank of major general.

[edit] Intelligence community

The Swiss military department maintains the Onyx intelligence gathering system, similar in concept to the UKUSA's ECHELON system, but at a much smaller scale.

The Onyx system was launched in 2000 in order to monitor both civil and military communications, such as telephone, fax or Internet traffic, carried by satellite. It was completed in late 2005 and currently consists in three interception sites, all based in Switzerland. In a way similar to ECHELON, Onyx uses lists of keywords to filter the intercepted content for information of interest.

On 8 January 2006, the Swiss newspaper Sonntagsblick (Sunday edition of the Blick newspaper) published a secret report produced by the Swiss government using data intercepted by Onyx. The report described a fax sent by the Egyptian department of Foreign Affairs to the Egyptian Embassy in London, and described the existence of secret detention facilities (black sites) run by the CIA in Central and Eastern Europe. The Swiss government did not officially confirm the existence of the report, but started a judiciary procedure for leakage of secret documents against the newspaper on 9 January 2006.

Peacekeeping missions

Switzerland being a neutral country, its army does not take part in armed conflicts in other countries. However, over the years, the Swiss army has been part of several peacekeeping missions around the world.

Mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina (SHQSU)

From 1996 to 2001, The Swiss Army was present in Bosnia and Herzegovina with headquarters in Sarajevo. Its mission, part of the Swiss Peacekeeping Missions, was to provide logistic and medical support to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, OSCE. The mission was named SHQSU standing for Swiss Headquarters Support Unit to BiH. It was composed of 50 to 55 elite Swiss soldiers under contract for 6 to 12 months. None of the active soldiers were armed during the duration of the mission. The Swiss soldiers were recognized among the other armies present on the field by their distinctive yellow beret. The SHQSU is not the same as the more publicized SWISSCOY, which is the Swiss Army Mission to Kosovo.

Mission in Korea (NNSC)

Switzerland is part of the Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission (NNSC) which was created to monitor the armistice between North and South Korea. Since the responsibilities of the NNSC have been much reduced over the past few years, only 5 people are still part of the Swiss delegation, located near the Korean DMZ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BA

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:40 am

Don't forget Swiss army knife. Oh wait, thats a oxymoron.

You seem to be critical of Switzerland for the fact that they are neutral and are a very peaceful nation. Please tell me why you consider this to be a bad thing?

The Swiss army knife was not really designed as a weapon. It was designed as a versatile utility knife with multiple other functions.

By the way, the only real Swiss army knives are those made by Victorinox and Wenger. Wenger was acquired by Victorinox in 2005, so they are the same company now, but they still produce Swiss army knives under the Wenger brand.

The Swiss Armed Forces, which by the way is quite advanced and modern, is very unique in the world in that it is inbetween a militia and a regular military.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

ME AVN FAN

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 32):
the second largest armed force per capita after the Israeli Defence Forces.

if you combine this with the point that 3 out of 7 Federal Councillers (3 of the 5 men in the government !) are high-ranking defence-officers, then it becomes obious that Switzerland may be peaceful, but rather "militarized" in a way. With up to 5 high-ranking defence officers in the Federal Government, that government at times looked like a DEMOCRATICALLY elected military junta, with civilian participation !  rotfl   rotfl 

DC10extender

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting BA (Reply 33):
You seem to be critical of Switzerland for the fact that they are neutral and are a very peaceful nation. Please tell me why you consider this to be a bad thing?

Ok, maybe I was making a bad attempt at humor. I just feel that neutrality during such times as WW2 wasn't the best thing. Then again, hindsight is 20/20. I will say that I have in fact heard that the Swiss have a highly trained army and they used to produce the best mercenaries in the world.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 35):
I just feel that neutrality during such times as WW2 wasn't the best thing.

Neutrality in case of the USA between 1937 and 7th/8th December 1941 was a freely chosen position, neutrality in case of Switzerland (and Turkey and Ireland plus Portugal and Spain) was the only way to survive. Neutrality is a political decision, it may not be "honourable" and it may not be "glorious", it simply is useful.

DC10extender

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 36):

I guess we can't forget the Monroe Doctrine either now can we.

L-188

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 32):
is the idea that Switzerland has no army ? what a strange notion. Here some details

Yeah, and mean too, they just over-ran Lichtenstein with only 170 troops.

Quoting BA (Reply 33):
By the way, the only real Swiss army knives are those made by Victorinox and Wenger

Mine's real.

It wasn't until the Leatherman came out that a better knife was created.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

David L

Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 21):
What you refer to is the small submarine of Mr Piccard which was in service off Lausanne during the National Exposition of 1964 (Expo64) and now is in the Traffic Museum in Lucerne .

No, that one clearly isn't a rumour. I don't think the "real" rumour is supposed to be taken too seriously - I'm sorry I mentioned it now.  Smile

FlyONT

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:14 pm

I love Switzerland! There is so much to do in my opinion, from shopping, hiking, or just relaxing along a lake. Wouldn't mind moving there but I don't the language, that could be a problem I think. On a side note, my grandparents were born there, moved to the U.S. and then moved back in the mid-80's. I also have dual-citizenship with Switzerland. For those of you that know Switzerland, my grandparents lived in Gersau, about 30 minutes from Luzern, one of my favorite cities. I love eating at the restaurants along the river. Another awesome little town is Brunnen. I go every summer and I'm looking forward for my next trip there!