piercey

A New Take On The Political Debate...

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:26 am

Alright, for my first thread off my recent ban, let's start with an unusual political debate.

Family Entertainment Protection Act

Truth in Video Games Rating Act

Video Game Decency Act

And those are just the federal ones, there are a bunch of state ones that I don't feel like finding.

So, what is your opinion on video game laws and the like? IMO, the FEPA and VGDA need to burn in hell while the TVGRA I actually agree with, as it does not punish game companies for aftermarket mods and unblocked blocked coding by hackers.

btw, please de-bar Jack Thompson, please?
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

MDorBust

RE: A New Take On The Political Debate...

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:46 am

Quoting Piercey (Thread starter):
btw, please de-bar Jack Thompson, please?

Most certainly.

I'm still trying to figure out just what it is about Final Fantasy that makes it such a deadly game for children to play. It's not like some kid is going to go off his rocker and Retaliation, Double cast, Knights of the Round somebody.

I'm all for a rating system in video games so that parents buying games for their children know what they are getting.... But then again, if it's called Grand Theft Auto, Medal of Honor or Mercenaries you really don't need a label to figure it out do you? I'm not for banning any content or holding any video game company responsible for the actions of idiots that play their games or for any material added to their video games. Games have matured along with the gaming community. People that were young kids when video games first became feasible for the home market are now adults. Their interests have grown correspondingly. It's only natural for the game makers to adapt to their aging clientele. Heck, if Rayne can make it into Playboy I think that should tell us something about the growth of the video game market. Sure, there's still room for Pack-Man, but now there is also room for more "mature" content.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

TedTAce

RE: A New Take On The Political Debate...

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 1):
Grand Theft Auto

no  This one is a no brainer.

Medal of Honor or Mercenaries

yes  My Sister in law brought it for her early/pre-teen boys not knowing how graphic it was.

I'm not for banning any content or holding any video game company responsible for the actions of idiots that play their games or for any material added to their video games.

checkmark 

The problem is that it comes down to parents taking responsibility and ensuring that content that might be beyond their kids is understood. The rating system needs oversight, but that's it. If Mom still lets Johnny 5 year old play rated M games and he goes on a shooting spree it's her own damn fault.

I let my kids play games that a rated a LITTLE older then they are, but I constantly remind them of the disconnect between reality and the game and ensure that they get it.
This space intentionally left blank