NAV20
Topic Author

'Tropical Cyclone George'

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:32 pm

You'd have thought that this region had already had its ration of disasters for one week! Until a few hours ago this thing was heading pretty well due west, now it looks as if it has turned due south and means business. Winds of 150mph-plus expected.

I'd be obliged if my friends here on A.net would cross their fingers. As it happens, my son lives in Karratha, Western Australia...

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60281.shtml
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

EWRCabincrew

RE: 'Tropical Cyclone George'

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Aunty Em, Aunty Em....

If they say to evacuate, be advised to. Fingers are crossed here for their and everyone's safety. Hope for the best.
You can't cure stupid

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks, EWR. Evacuation isn't really a practical proposition in that part of the world. There isn't anywhere to evacuate TO - and, since they can't predict the track within 50 miles, you would probably just get yourself caught in the open.

Normal drill is therefore to 'secure all loose items' and stay put. Only thing is, that area has been lucky for a while, no direct hits for ten years past. So they'll probably discover a lot of 'loose items' that hadn't seemed 'loose' before.  Smile
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

NAV20
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:13 pm

Update - looks like the 'eye' has missed my bloke.

But it's now rated at Force Four and is going slap over Pardoe and Port Hedland (which is the regional capital).

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDW60281.shtml