TedTAce
Topic Author

Vista Upgrade Disaster.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:32 am

There are a few expressions related to watching train wrecks as euphimisims for something bad happening or something VERY predictably bad about to happen.

IE: It was "like watching a train wreck'
or
"I could see that train wreck comming from a mile away"

There was an occasion were I told someone watching their relationship was like watching the train engineer get up in the morning it was so predictable from so far away(in advance).

The last euphimisim being VERY approiate for the following article:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2098770,00.asp

I'm sorry but only an idiot does an in place upgrade 'online' from OS version to OS version ESPECIALLY with Microsoft. It's risky enough doing it with an actual DVD, but ONLINE?!?! OMFG how DUMB!!
This space intentionally left blank

bill142

RE: Vista Upgrade Disaster.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:21 am

Have PC Mag got you on a commission based on how many threads you can start linking to a story on their website or something Ted  wink 

rammstein

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:48 pm

I would say...

Owned!

He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

TedTAce
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 1):
how many threads

All two of them?

And if anything you should be suspicious of my support for Dvorak. If I liked him any more then I actually do I'd have a dvorak keyboard, be sending him snow globes, and tracking his flights  Wink

Jetsgo

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:36 pm

And that right there is why I will not pay for and download any type of software via the internet that could be purchased in store. There is no "hardware" so to say after the install. Also, that is extremely shady of Microsoft to not offer a repair cd to people who download the program, considering it is the only way to repair.

Although I just purchased my laptop back in September, I am feeling more and more certain my next one will not run a Microsoft OS.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

lnglive1011yyz

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 4):
Although I just purchased my laptop back in September, I am feeling more and more certain my next one will not run a Microsoft OS.

I work on computers for a living, and I have YET to find a reason as to why I should be hating MS.

If you configure your system properly, and don't buy obscure hardware, and keep yourself up-to-date, you're fine.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

rammstein

Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 5):
work on computers for a living, and I have YET to find a reason as to why I should be hating MS.

Never had to configure networks of computers using different versions of Windows, like NT, 95-98, Windows Server 2003, etc., I guess?

IFEMaster

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:11 am

I work on computers for a living, and I have YET to find a reason as to why I should be hating MS.

If you configure your system properly, and don't buy obscure hardware, and keep yourself up-to-date, you're fine.

If you're happy to configure your network and your systems exactly how Microsoft want you to configure them, rather than how YOU want to configure them, and if you're happy to work with a restrictive, unintuitive, and locked down environment, then you will have no reason to hate Microsoft.

If, however, you want to have some say in how your systems run, you'd do well to look elsewhere.

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
I'm sorry but only an idiot does an in place upgrade 'online' from OS version to OS version ESPECIALLY with Microsoft.

Absolutely, and even more so on Microsoft's part: the article is 100% correct in stating that Microsoft should provide DVDs to download customers if the rescue operation requires the presence of a DVD.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

TedTAce
Topic Author

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:28 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 7):
Absolutely, and even more so on Microsoft's part: the article is 100% correct in stating that Microsoft should provide DVDs to download customers if the rescue operation requires the presence of a DVD.

Which what I don't get is I KNOW for a fact there is an option to download and burn the DVD. Who in their right mind would choose installing their software to the HDD when they can burn a DVD (or 3) for redundancy?

Klaus

Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:58 am

I work on computers for a living

and I have YET to find a reason as to why I should be hating MS.

What would the multi-billion-Dollar industry do which is living purely on the failures and shortcomings of Microsoft if it wasn't for Windows? Looking for real work, maybe?

Better yet, what would the people do with their money who currently pay for this multi-billion-Dollar industry...?

Food for thought.

tmatt95

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:12 am

The sad thing is that Mac has stoped trying to create amazing operating systems and has instead started to make themselves seem great by poking holes in the competition. This is a sad day and age when mac thread turn into bashing opertunities for Mac users  Sad .

Is the grass really as green on the other side as some mac users would have us believe.... I doubt it...

Anyway this is taking the thread way off topic.

Back on topic, I have found Vista to be a very stable OS, when trying it in PC WORLD. I also think that the sidebar is great as you can see it alongside open programs. I must admit to have not upgraded so I do not know what it is like.

Matt

MaidensGator

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:17 am

You should be loving Microsoft.... Every time the clueless crash and burn, they have to call you..... It's called job security....

Quoting Klaus (Reply 9):
What would the multi-billion-Dollar industry do which is living purely on the failures and shortcomings of Microsoft if it wasn't for Windows? Looking for real work, maybe?

Better yet, what would the people do with their money who currently pay for this multi-billion-Dollar industry...?

Food for thought.

checkmark 
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Jetsgo

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:21 am

I am surprised you claim that if you indeed work with computers for a living. It is almost common knowledge that Mac is a superior product to anything Windows. Furthermore, the customer service at MS, along with their new OS, is proven to be shit. And it's only a month old.

Klaus

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 10):
The sad thing is that Mac has stoped trying to create amazing operating systems

Apple, you mean? And no, they haven't stopped, as anybody could attest who's actually using the system. Quite the opposite, in fact - they're still accelerating!

and has instead started to make themselves seem great by poking holes in the competition.

Not really - they're simply pointing at the holes which are already there!  mischievous 

Is the grass really as green on the other side as some mac users would have us believe.... I doubt it...

It doesn't hurt to check for yourself. And most people who did have switched.

Could that be a hint?  innocent 

andessmf

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:25 am

I am both a heavy computer user and administrator. For many years, it has been suggested that I only work on the administrative side of computers.

However, w/o knowing how the end user works, it is hard to figure out what they need. So I keep up with both.

I have found that most programs are done fairly well. BUT, the disconnect between programmer and end user keeps getting worse.

As example I give you AutoCAD. Great program for the most parts. But the examples given by AutoCAD as to how to DO something are way to lengthy. I have had to used the program to then give the users the easier way to get the end result, which is not what is given by AutoCAD.

Similar problems with Microsoft. Most of the offices work in a networked environment, but Microsoft still assumes that all users save their files to the local drive, instead of the network storage. Just plain dumb. Microsoft Office still has difficulties with network files, wher two files with the same name in separate directories are treated as similar files. No other programs give us this problem.

The worse part about this, as Microsoft already knows, is that Vista works very well WHEN INSTALLED IN A CLEAN SYSTEM. Therefore, downloading Vista as an 'upgrade' makes no logical sense.

I have personally found that Vista works good, even with programs that are not Vista compatible.

tmatt95

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:28 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):

Apple, you mean? And no, they haven't stopped, as anybody could attest who's actually using the system. Quite the opposite, in fact - they're still accelerating!

If it is so good, why then not just focus on how good a mac is and not on the faults of the windows computers. The latest ads tell Joe public nothing about Mac osx other than the fact that if it was a human, it would be some arrogant teenage yoof!!!  old 

Not really - they're simply pointing at the holes which are already there! mischievous

Every computer system has holes. You show me a perfect computer that will suit everyone and I will show you a liar  Wink

It doesn't hurt to check for yourself. And most people who did have switched.

Could that be a hint? innocent

I would if I could justify the spending for the hardware return that I would be getting. The lack of compatabuility with software on OSX would also be an isue for me.

Matt

aloges

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 6):
Never had to configure networks of computers using different versions of Windows, like NT, 95-98, Windows Server 2003, etc., I guess?

Oh, don't you start! I'm just glad I finally, somehow, in a weirdly functioning sort of way, I got a small combined Windows 98 + Windows XP Pro network to run and share a common DSL connection through a self-made Linux router. It was a pain in the... well, lower intestine, especially file sharing. I didn't even dare attempt sharing printers before everything ran on XP. So I'd fully expect a combined XP/Vista network to be equally flawed... has anyone tried?

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 15):
Every computer system has holes.

True, but the various implementations of UNIX technology to this date have proven to be much safer than this swiss cheese called Windows. I simply don't agree that, barring pre-installed useful bloatware, the first thing you need to do with a brand new PC is to install firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-whatnot software before you can even dream of (halfway) safely connecting to the M$ website for the latest "critical safety updates" and service packs.  banghead  If I had a Euro for every hour I've spent running these stupid installations and checks, I could go on a very nice holiday.

I would if I could justify the spending for the hardware return that I would be getting. The lack of compatabuility with software on OSX would also be an isue for me.

As Klaus will undoubtedly point out, you can run Parallels Desktop for Mac and, if that fails, install Windows on a Mac. And BTW, software compatibility issues are everything but unknown between the various versions of Windows.

[Edited 2007-03-10 00:41:49]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

andessmf

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 16):
has anyone tried?

Yep! Easy as pie. I have found that most of the problems I have with sharing have to do with user rights. The whole thing can get so confused, it is hard for me to describe it.

Klaus

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:46 am

If it is so good, why then not just focus on how good a mac is and not on the faults of the windows computers. The latest ads tell Joe public nothing about Mac osx other than the fact that if it was a human, it would be some arrogant teenage yoof!!!

The ads primarily tell people that their daily suffering is unnecessary. Have them check out the alternative and leave the decision to themselves.

Every computer system has holes.

Sure. Some have a few, others are basically a sieve.

I would if I could justify the spending for the hardware return that I would be getting.

As mentioned before, outside of cheap gaming PCs you won't have much to worry about.

The lack of compatabuility with software on OSX would also be an isue for me.

What are you talking about? I just used my MacBook Pro to run a fully integrated multi-OS MacOS X server / Windows client presentation without the slightest glitch.

You have more choices on a Mac, including everything a Windows-only PC could do (most of which you won't need any more - there is a large and excellent selection of native tools and applications for nearly every purpose).

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled Windows desperation...

aloges

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 17):
Yep! Easy as pie.

Ah! So maybe Microsoft have indeed made some sort of improvement in that direction... of course, it's probably at the cost of various network safety loopholes.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 17):
user rights

Another issue I've had with Windows - why can't the administration of various user accounts on one PC be easier? So that I could clone user accounts and give only one of them admin rights, configure a user account while logged on as an admin, set rights levels for individual accounts and so on? From what I remember from my last and only attempt at that, little if any of it was possible and it certainly wasn't intuitive. I guess other OSs don't allow for all of it either, but I'd expect the market leader *cough* to be a little ahead in terms of innovation... *COUGH*

andessmf

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 19):
Another issue I've had with Windows

I think this answers both questions. I have had nothing but problems with user rights, as everything has to match for all this to work. You can even give the right to a user to access a machine, but the machine does not accept such user in another section.

It's crazy, and it has only been in the last few months that I have been getting the hang of all these settings. And no, MSFT has not improved this.

WellHung

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:26 am

Here goes

again.

Dude posts an article about MICROSOFT Vista and predictably

comes a-callin.

I've always been wary of people who insist on cramming a product down your throat at any appropriate (and inappropriate) opportunity. Apple users are notorious for this and often feel they are 'superior' because of the computer they use. It's a fucking computer! It's not like Macs are a secret. If they were that great, they would be more popular. As it stands now, it's just a matter of preference.

aloges

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 21):
Here goes Mac fanboy again.

redflag  The first mention of the word "Mac" was in reply 10, to which "Mac fanboy" Klaus simply replied.

So save your breath for the next time he actually does bring it up first.

Apple users are notorious for this and often feel they are 'superior' because of the computer they use.

Yeah right... and how many modding nerds, video game geeks and pimpled teenage Linux "gods" look at their computers like they are their children?

If they were that great, they would be more popular. As it stands now, it's just a matter of preference.

Not quite - it's a matter of not caring and buying what the vendor offers. Microsoft push their own products fiercely, but as you can see with Firefox even that doesn't guarantee success.

Tom12

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:37 am

Agreed. I recently got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium on it and then after a discussion in Non-Av got inspired to go out and buy a mac. So, after ages going on at my mum i got a Macbook Pro.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...1677e1A8ecR12ITnySI2sz5k2CE/2.?p=0

It is a heck of a lot better than any laptop i have ever had. Not getting used to some of the things, like iTunes, hate it, but got media player so that was cool.

The Advent laptop i have is still the thing i am primeraly using but the Macbook is better. (I'm just more of a Windows fan, my mum will probably use the Macbook more)

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

Klaus

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:40 am

I've always been wary of people who insist on cramming a product down your throat at any appropriate (and inappropriate) opportunity. Apple users are notorious for this and often feel they are 'superior' because of the computer they use.

Nope. A PC doesn't make you retarded. It just makes you feel as if you were.

A Mac just works.
Amazing that that's something that deserves to be mentioned!

It's not like Macs are a secret.

No. So why haven't you checked them out?

If they were that great, they would be more popular.

They are. While Windows is just past its peak, Mac sales are rapidly increasing - apparently closer to an exponential curve than to a linear one.

But then, the majority of people were smoking once. Does that make it a good idea?  eyebrow 

As it stands now, it's just a matter of preference.

And the fact that most people who actually know both prefer the Macintosh tells you what?

WellHung

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 22):
The first mention of the word "Mac" was in reply 10, to which "Mac fanboy" Klaus simply replied.

Confused Who cares who brings it up?

Is it in the Mac purchase contract that

has to extoll the virtues every time the name gets mentioned? What happens if he doesn't? Do they take his precious Mac and all its pretty toys away?

Yeah right...

You'd be singing a different tune if you have actually read some of the computer threads on here. I suppose the ability to ignore Apple users' obnoxious behavior comes standard with your iPurchase.

and how many modding nerds, video game geeks and pimpled teenage Linux "gods" look at their computers like they are their children?

I don't know. You don't see them crapping all over this forum telling people to buy their $5000 mega-machine.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):
A PC doesn't make you retarded. It just makes you feel as if you were.

Hmm... so the fact that Apple won't sell Aircards without installing them in the store by a technician - what does that tell you about how they view their customers? I'd say 'retard' is a somewhat derrogatory word - and a little too kind in this instance. This was confirmed as company policy by a co-worker who visited three Apple stores to buy 5 Aircards before giving up.

A Mac just works.

And evidenced by the success I had in posting this message, PC's work, as well.

So why haven't you checked them out?

I have. A roommate of mine had an iMac. Using it felt like I was watching a really bad cartoon. It was useable, but, for me, certainly a step down as far as features, available hardware and general usefulness.

But then, the majority of people were smoking once. Does that make it a good idea?

I guess if it's discovered that PC's give you cancer, I'll make the switch.

And the fact that most people who actually know both prefer the Macintosh tells you what?

Um... that for the most part people who use Macs like them better and people who use PCs like them better. Makes sense. I wouldn't buy something I didn't like.

aloges

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:27 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 25):
You'd be singing a different tune if you have actually read some of the computer threads on here.

Just FYI, I read most of these computer threads... they interest me, plain and simple. They've actually changed my tune from "won't buy a Mac, can't afford it" to "I'll wait a little longer and save up for a Mac" as whenever some sort of alleged threat against Mac OS X is brought up by the Windows fanboys to "set things straight", the myth is quickly dispelled with a few links to articles on the matter.

I suppose the ability to ignore Apple users' obnoxious behavior comes standard with your iPurchase.

The "Apple users' obnoxious behavior" is much less annoying than that of my computer. If I decide I don't want to read any given "my Mac is great" post, I simply scroll over it... so easy - just like Windows isn't!

I don't know. You don't see them crapping all over this forum telling people to buy their $5000 mega-machine.

redflag  "Crapping all over this forum" is what the political and ideological pundits do. The threads that come close to being derailed by pro-Mac posters can easily be counted on the fingers of one hand every month; I don't see how that could be considered "crapping all over this forum".

Hmm... so the fact that Apple won't sell Aircards without installing them in the store by a technician - what does that tell you about how they view their customers?

If you do the same on a factory assembled PC, you most likely end up losing the warranty. If a technician in an Apple store does it (free of charge, presumably), you don't. What does that tell you about Apple customer care?

tmatt95

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:48 am

When posting my reply I was certain that I had read the default "get a Mac"/ Mac is great/ You do not need Windowz/ Microsoft sux coments which I have grown acustomed to in other threads on this subject. I have used a Mac computer and do think it is good but it is not perfect.  banghead 

Matt

Jetsgo

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 23):
Agreed. I recently got a new laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium on it and then after a discussion in Non-Av got inspired to go out and buy a mac. So, after ages going on at my mum i got a Macbook Pro.

Must be nice being 16-20 and being able to drop a grand on a MS laptop, than another couple grand on a MacBook Pro.  Smile

bhmbaglock

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 20):

It's crazy, and it has only been in the last few months that I have been getting the hang of all these settings. And no, MSFT has not improved this.

Are you running in a workgroup environment? If so, you should really consider stepping up to Small Business Server. It will absolutely fix this problem (if you implement a domain) and give you lots of other functionality as a bonus.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 26):
If you do the same on a factory assembled PC, you most likely end up losing the warranty.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 26):
If a technician in an Apple store does it (free of charge, presumably), you don't. What does that tell you about Apple customer care?

That you're SOL if you live hours away from one of their stores as is true for many people. There aren't a whole lot of them here in fly over country.
Where are all of my respected members going?

lnglive1011yyz

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 12):
I am surprised you claim that if you indeed work with computers for a living. It is almost common knowledge that Mac is a superior product to anything Windows. Furthermore, the customer service at MS, along with their new OS, is proven to be shit. And it's only a month old.

I never said that Mac's weren't superior.. as a matter of fact, I DO know that they are superior..

My point was merely stating that *I* have no reason to stop using MS software. Everything that *I* have had to do with their software, has worked out relatively good for me. I'm a satisfied customer.

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 6):

I have.. and I admit, there are issues.. However, having said that, outside of creating networks, I've never had any issues with MS software. That was my point all along!

As for Vista being a shitty offering, I've been using it at full-tilt as a stand-alone system for over a month now, and I have YET to find a problem.

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

AC773

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:29 am

Bang on. As far as I'm concerned, Apple's software division stopped innovating in the mid-90s. OS X is one hell of an operating system, but Apple can hardly take credit for it. It's basically an adaptation of the NeXTstep OS from the NeXT company they bought out in '97. Apple claims to release new operating systems all the time, but if you break down the features, they really just amount to a few tweaks, improvements, and add-ons to the previous "operating system". Microsoft calls that a service pack, and they don't charge you $100 for it.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Mac - they're rightfully great computers and OS X is really nice. It's just that - like the "web designer" who selects a nice template on iWeb and then charges people for his services - I have to dig deep to find any remaining traces of respect I might have for them. Like Tmatt95 said, it's just sad.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

TedTAce
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:47 am

I just love where this thread went. I posted an honest admission that there was a blatant flaw (that EVERYONE should have seen comming) and you mac/PC schills gotta turn it into a Mac V MS thread instead of discussing the issue at hand. You all suck.

AC773

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 32):
I just love where this thread went.

Just adding to Tmatt's assertion, but whatever.

Either Microsoft is just stupid, or they've paid absolutely no attention to the major OEMs over the last few years. Dell had to learn the hard way that not giving people restore CDs for only the most vital piece of software to any machine's healthy operation was a mind-numbingly bad idea. I mean, a partition on the hard drive? What good does that do?

Online delivery works well in today's age of almost ubiquitous broadband coverage and for small apps, it's fine. Just on principle though, I (and probably most people) want some sort of physical media if they're going to spend anything over $30.
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

bagpiper

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 18):
Have them check out the alternative and leave the decision to themselves.

If I got what you were meaning correctly....

Ok, sounds good. So can you stop tooting Mac's horn? Let the product toot its own horn... that usually gives better results. (Please, don't take that personally... I'd say that to anybody tooting a product's horn... I said that to my freind about Linux... then I discovered Linux and how much I like it)

Yeah right... and how many modding nerds, video game geeks and pimpled teenage Linux "gods" look at their computers like they are their children?

So what if I care about computers? I don't go so far as thinking of it as my child (I know there was sarcasm in your statement). I'm 17 years old, and already I'm making, for my age and area, a fairly sizable chunk of pocket change either working on computers, web services, or other computer related stuff. I have modded my computers... does that make me lower than you? No. I do it because I needed to, or just wanted to. So what?

I run Linux on my three clustered servers. Fedora 6. Its a great OS. I'll send you a picture of me... I'll let you count how many pimples I have. However, even though Linux is great (still some quirks), I don't go running around trying to convert everybody I see to Linux.

The two of you remind me of those Christians (for the record, I am a Christian) who run around yelling at people that they'll go to hell if they don't convert to Christianity.... then try to convert everybody they see. I'd much rather make the case, then let them choose. After all, thats how it works.

The few times I have used Macs, I have liked them. But the thing is, you guys scare me away from them by ranting and raving and trying to convert everybody.

I hope I made my point without stepping on too many toes.

aloges

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 34):
So what if I care about computers?

Nothing, I was just trying to counter WellHung's claim that Apple users were noteworthily more obsessed with their computers than others. If PC modding is someone's "cup of tea" and they don't overdo their hobby, there's nothing in the world against it.

I know there was sarcasm in your statement

You got that right.  Wink

I have modded my computers... does that make me lower than you? No.

again: no, not in the least

I do it because I needed to, or just wanted to. So what?

I built the very PC I'm on at the moment and wish I had built the one I use most of the time; heck I even installed a wired LAN with switches and wall outlets at my parents' home, hooked all of that up to a DSL VoIP router and set a new ISDN system to work with that. And I am more than happy to help some of my friends with their computers when things go badly for them. So yes, I too like playing around with computers (and telecom equipment), it's just that I don't want to have to.

I don't go running around trying to convert everybody I see to Linux.

Neither am I running around trying to convert people to Mac OS, I don't even have a Mac (yet)! But all of these threads with people complaining about their Windows woes invariably lead to these suggestions to simply move away from the OS to the only newbie-proof alternative, Mac OS - just like people recommend alternative airlines, cars and whatnot to dissatisfied customers.

The two of you remind me of those Christians who run around yelling at people that they'll go to hell if they don't convert to Christianity.

Pardon me, but with that one you're so far off you'd laugh at yourself if you knew me. I strongly dislike the trouble Microsoft Windows gives me, but I don't hate the people who use it because it's what they got along with their PCs.

I'd much rather make the case, then let them choose.

That's what happens here, Mac users make the point that their computers are less quirky than Windows PCs. They make it in every thread on a Windows problem, granted, but why are there so many threads on Windows problems in the first place and almost literally none on Mac OS troubles?

But the thing is, you guys scare me away from them by ranting and raving and trying to convert everybody.

I rant about Windows and started dreaming of using a Mac after I tried them out. Mac OS X grew on me in fifteen minutes even though I had never even looked at it, that's quite a feat.

I hope I made my point without stepping on too many toes.

See, you didn't call anyone an arrogant asshole, ignorant mother-raper, obsessed idiot or anything alike. That's plain enough to keep things civil.

rammstein

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 31):
OS X is one hell of an operating system, but Apple can hardly take credit for it. It's basically an adaptation of the NeXTstep OS from the NeXT company they bought out in '97

Don't forget the foundations of OSX: the great FreeBSD operating system.

Klaus

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:51 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 31):
As far as I'm concerned, Apple's software division stopped innovating in the mid-90s. OS X is one hell of an operating system, but Apple can hardly take credit for it.

One could surely debate that (even though Steve Jobs was leading that effort as well), but it's actually not the main point. MacOS X is not just its foundation, as important as it is. By the way - MS DOS on which Windows has long been based was actually acquired by Microsoft as QDOS ("Quick and Dirty Operating System"). And as of the rest, well...

The main issue is whether a system is turned into an effective, usable and pleasant tool for whatever you want (or need) to do with a computer.

Microsoft's consistent failure at that and the resulting difficulties of the users unfortunately lead to thread topics like this one far more often than necessary, so failing to point out possible solutions would simply be negligent.

So can you stop tooting Mac's horn? Let the product toot its own horn... that usually gives better results.

The problem is that most people have no idea how Macs really work - in many cases I only jump in when outlandish ideas are presented which are either outdated or which have always been incorrect.

You can check - my point is not to ram Macs down people's throats like Windows has been all those years, it is to dispel myths, to give a bit of perspective which most people caught within the Windows monoculture completely lack, to recommend them to actually check the alternative(s) and finally to answer questions and to support people who may need it (even when it's about problems with other systems).

Quoting Aloges (Reply 35):
So yes, I too like playing around with computers (and telecom equipment), it's just that I don't want to have to.

Bingo. Exactly my point. I could use Linux and/or Windows as my main system, I'm just glad there are better options.

There are worse things than occasionally being reminded of that, aren't there?  eyebrow 

So is the titular disaster resolved? We could continue the other aspects in a proper separate thread...

bagpiper

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
So is the titular disaster resolved?

lol only on A.net can you get a nuclear bomb out of a pop rock. Quite a bit of bang for the buck!  Silly

But I digress...