aaden

Why Is My Subaru Ranked So Low By Jd Power?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:39 pm

hello all, i bought a new car 2007 subaru impreza 2.5 1 manual tranny. I have always thought that subarus were some of the highest rated vehicles in terms of overall quality and reliability. So my question is does anyone know why They would be ranked at the low end of things?

jd power thinks my car belongs with the rest.

ANCFlyer

RE: Why Is My Subaru Ranked So Low By Jd Power?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:11 pm

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/subaru/impreza/2007/sedan
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/car-com...rivenWheels=4&cabType=&fromModel=1

I can only assume it's an accurate rating . . .

Why the question?

Apparently, JD Power thinks less of your car than you do.

[Edited 2007-03-11 08:14:03]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LOT767-300ER

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:39 pm

1. Why would you buy a new car?
2. Why would you buy a non-STi Impreza?
3. JD Powers is crap.

My 3 thoughts of the day.

bill142

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:18 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 2):
Why would you buy a non-STi Impreza?

Anything less is for boy racers and wannabe boy racers.

monteycarlos

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Perhaps he chose not to buy an STi as there are no STi workshops in the US. Either way, I own a Subaru as well and I think they are often under-rated...
It's a beautiful night to fly like a phoenix...

2H4

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Perhaps because not everyone wants or needs the maximum horsepower available in a given model. You know, LOT.....unlike yourself, not everyone feels the need to prove him/herself to every teenager they encounter at a stoplight.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

thetuna

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Only weird people that have deep seeded issues buy subarus.
He just ate the big one! Hog!...get away from that thing!! Just get away from it!

andz

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:07 pm

Probably ranked as crap cos they get the ring ripped out of them by every boy racer who thinks that light to light performance is the be all and end all of the universe. Personally I think Subarus are garish and ugly and grossly overrated.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

N231YE

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:44 pm

I have read that Subarus have terrible resale values, and if I remember correctly, are one of the worst automobiles is far as holding their value.

sv2008

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Aaden (Thread starter):
I have always thought that subarus were some of the highest rated vehicles in terms of overall quality and reliability.

Check BEFORE you buy.

If you like the car though don't panic. It doesn't mean it will definitely go wrong.

piercey

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:33 pm

I'd comment on Subaru, but I can't fit in one.  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

captaingomes

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 10):
I'd comment on Subaru, but I can't fit in one.

Maybe if you cut down on the twinkies?

1. Why would you buy a new car?
3. JD Powers is crap.

Why would he not buy a new car if he can afford one? Also, from a practical standpoint, the regular WRX is a fantastic car, which I would buy before I'd consider an STi. Things like insurance and maintenance do play a role in many people's decisions for purchasing cars you know.

JD Power has issues, but I wouldn't say they're crap.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

YWG

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

JD Powers is crap.

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 11):
JD Power has issues

JD Power also gives awards to the ever so plastic looking chevy....so that gives you an idea of where they stand in terms of ranking the qaulity of automobiles. It doesn't matter what they think, what do you think!?

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 5):
not everyone feels the need to prove him/herself to every teenager they encounter at a stoplight.

Nothing hurts me more to see a Sunfire or Cavalier coupe at a red light with a fart cannon on the end of the exhaust, rap music blasting and the seat fully reclined as if he's about to go "pop someone". What gets me even more, is when they burn off the line, attempt to pass you and then pull into your lane as if to say something?! What makes my day, is giving them a chance as if they are able to pass, and then speeding up and boxing them in somewhere around the speedlimit with another car; oh my I need to grow up.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

captaingomes

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:54 am

JD Power also decreases the "reliability" ratings of cars if consumers complain about the cup holder design. To me, reliability means that a car is deemed undrivable, or requires a visit to the mechanic to fix something, and not because I feel the cup holder doesn't meet my standards. The Hummer H2 also had a poor reliability rating, much of it due to the fact that it got worse mileage than some of the buyers thought it would get. Sorry ... these things (mileage, cup holders) have nothing to do with reliability, but they do show how stupid some consumers, and JD Power can be.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

EMBQA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting Aaden (Thread starter):
So my question is does anyone know why They would be ranked at the low end of things?

You bought it....Didn't you research it first....?????
I agree with LOT767..... Why in gods name would you buy a new car.....???? The second you signed the papers it dropped in value. You now OWE more then it's WORTH. Last year I bought a 2 year old Volvo S40 'Sport'... fully loaded. I paid $4,000 less the KBB.... after a year it's still worth $6,000 MORE then I owe....!!!!

....and how the heck does a 16-20 year old buy a $20,000 car......???????

[Edited 2007-03-11 18:08:44]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AC773

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 14):
....and how the heck does a 16-20 year old buy a $20,000 car......???????

Daddy buys it for him.  Smile
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

TSS

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:21 am

Unless I'm much mistaken, the JDPower survey measures initial quality of brand-new cars, and the owner's overall satisfaction therewith. It does not measure long-term reliability or overall durability.

If no-one has done so already, it might be very interesting to see if there are any cars that JDPower initially ranked very highly which turned out to be rolling piles of poo a few years down the line.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

dl021

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):

It's not JD Power....it's the people that respond to the surveys.

Don't get mad at the ranking agency when they're surveying actual buyers who are giving their actual opinions.

Do remember that most of the people who actually reply to these surveys are pissed at the product.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

GuitrThree

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 16):
Unless I'm much mistaken, the JDPower survey measures initial quality of brand-new cars, and the owner's overall satisfaction therewith. It does not measure long-term reliability or overall durability

They also do a 3 year dependability study where Subaru is just slightly below average...

results can be found here
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

ThePRGuy

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 5):
You know, LOT.....unlike yourself, not everyone feels the need to prove him/herself to every teenager they encounter at a stoplight.

checkmark 

Although, I side with you on the non-STI imprezas - the STIs arent that much of a pricehike and the midrange grunt is stunning
Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

asuflyer05

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:48 am

Subaru makes a decent vehicle. They are also a great value since they well equipped base models and good gas mileage. And for the OP who lives in Colorado he gets standard AWD without having to buy an SUV.

JD Powers and Associates is one of the benchmarks for judging inital quality and reliability. But so is Consumer Reports.

My Consumer Reports "Cars: Ratings & Pricing" from last year rates the 2006 Impreza as "Recommended."

Reliability: Better (Highest score)
Depreciation: Average
Satisfaction: Average

Matt

NeilYYZ

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 15):
Daddy buys it for him.

Daddy got me a bus pass when I was 16!
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

TSS

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 18):
They also do a 3 year dependability study where Subaru is just slightly below average...

Ah...
Thanks, I was not aware of that.

Because I'd rather spend my money on airline tickets than car payments, I never buy a car with less than 100,000 miles on it or one less than ten years old. While cars in the sub-$2000 bracket don't come with bragging rights, by the time they're depreciated to that point their reliability (or lack of same) is well-documented.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

sv2008

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:09 am

Why in gods name would you buy a new car.....????

sometimes buying a cheaper car new makes sense for some people, especially for younger drivers, who might get free insurance, % finance, discounts, warranty (some still offer only a year).......this offsets a drop in value. On expensive cars it makes less sense though.

A 2 year old car might be cheaper but it's very close to having it's first MOT at that age, which could mean repairs, and it's probably the age for many where things like the exhaust start to wear out and need replacing. Also you can never know a used cars history fully....

captaingomes

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:39 am

Buying a new car makes sense when you plan on keeping the car for a long time. The added few grand it will cost to get the new car is amortized over a long period of time (i.e. 10 years or more), making the price difference quite small in the long run. Finance rates for new cars is often substantially lower as well. New cars don't make financial sense if you plan on getting rid of them after a couple of years though.

piercey

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 11):
Maybe if you cut down on the twinkies?

Being 6'1 and a 36" pant length has nothing to do with twinkies  Wink

Quoting AC773 (Reply 15):
Daddy buys it for him. Smile

[rant] and daddy won't even get me a $900 car, let alone a $20000 car [/rant]

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 24):
New cars don't make financial sense if you plan on getting rid of them after a couple of years though.

checkmark  I have a rant about that one, but I'll save it for another thread.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

fumanchewd

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 25):
Being 6'1 and a 36" pant length has nothing to do with twinkies

Krikey! How does that happen? I'm 6'1" with a 32" pant length.

After devouring a bottle of jager and 13 smores, Piercey showed the co-eds his version of the Cinci swing.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

ACDC8

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:00 am

3. JD Powers is crap.

Doesn't JD provide that little graph you always feel the need to post when trying to prove vehicle reliability?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

captaingomes

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 27):
3. JD Powers is crap.

Doesn't JD provide that little graph you always feel the need to post when trying to prove vehicle reliability?

hehehehehehehehehehe

StarAC17

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting Sv2008 (Reply 23):
who might get free insurance

That settles it, i'm residing in the UK  Smile

But in all seriousness you have to be wrong on this one, here is Canada us young people (anyone under 25) are paying roughly $3000/year for insurance on cars that are over 5 years old because of the few idiots in the Souped up Sunfires racing and causing crashes.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

piercey

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 26):
After devouring a bottle of jager and 13 smores, Piercey showed the co-eds his version of the Cinci swing.

grumpy 

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 29):
Souped up Sunfires

Who the hell soups up a Sunfire?

You need a Focus  yes 

monteycarlos

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 30):
You need a Focus

You can fit in a focus but not a WRX? How does that make sense?

Quoting Thetuna (Reply 6):
Only weird people that have deep seeded issues buy subarus.

Generally Brits see Subarus as toy cars anyway so no surprises there... England is about the only country where Subaru's aren't popular.

Quoting N231YE (Reply 8):
I have read that Subarus have terrible resale values, and if I remember correctly, are one of the worst automobiles is far as holding their value.

Far from true in Australia. Not sure about the US.

N231YE

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting Monteycarlos (Reply 31):
Far from true in Australia. Not sure about the US.

That was according to a last year's issue Consumer Reports or Car & Driver (forgot which one), for the United States.

jafa39

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:38 am

Sorry to be the one to tell y'all but I know several "Scooby" drivers in the UK and NZ...not one of them is 100% reliable, they suffer from a vast array of niggling things that although usually don't stop them from working, do detract from the experience.

JD Power doesn't survey boy racers but the "Gery Import" market from Japan does affect the overall impression of Subaru's as a lot of them have been thrashed and then clocked.

My neighbour's dad's goat-minder is on his 3rd and will never buy another one, all have been dogs.

Compare this to the brick outhouse simplicity of many US built cars and the rankings are no surprise....
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

KevinL1011

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 17):
It's not JD Power....it's the people that respond to the surveys.

Don't get mad at the ranking agency when they're surveying actual buyers who are giving their actual opinions.

Do remember that most of the people who actually reply to these surveys are pissed at the product.

All true except one. Not all surveys are answered by the vehicle owner. Many new car "Sales Consultants" will offer the buyer some kind of freebie if they bring in their survey form and either surrender it or allow them to assist in filling it out. And true that more unhappy owners will report than happy ones.
If you look closely at the Powers survey, you'll see that the vehicle classifications are very specific and sometimes misleading. Model X may be ranked higher than model Y for interior room owner satisfaction in a 4dr, 4cyl, manual trans imported car under $25,000. ( for example.I don't have the exact definitions in front of me) Whereas the same X vs Y model comparison may show model Y rated over model X for interior room in a 4dr, 4cyl, automatic trans imported car. It's the same car! It's all based on owner perception. Ever wonder why a Toyota Matrix ranks better on reliability than the Pontiac Vibe even though they're assembled at the same plant?

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 13):
JD Power also decreases the "reliability" ratings of cars if consumers complain about the cup holder design.

That would be Consumer Reports.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

captaingomes

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 34):
Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 13):
JD Power also decreases the "reliability" ratings of cars if consumers complain about the cup holder design.

That would be Consumer Reports.

In fact it would be JD Power. Not sure if CR does it, but JD does.

monteycarlos

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 32):
That was according to a last year's issue Consumer Reports or Car & Driver (forgot which one), for the United States.

Yeah fair enough, but as I said I wasn't sure about the US. I'm on my second now, and they've both been great. Its the 5th one in the family of which 3 we still own. My next car will be a Subaru... only the most pleasant of experiences with all 5 vehicles.

And the re-sale on them has been very good. My current one has only lost 10% value in 2 years of ownership.

piercey

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26 am

Quoting Monteycarlos (Reply 31):
You can fit in a focus but not a WRX? How does that make sense?

Higher steering wheel and seat can go farther back. Same with the fact that I can fit in a Chevy Aveo.

2H4

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:30 am

Why in gods name would you buy a new car.....???? The second you signed the papers it dropped in value.

Well, following your logic, it's also downright foolish to purchase new computers, furniture, televisions, appliances, etc, etc, etc. After all, a $4000 PC drops in value the second you take it out of the store. So do $8000 large-screen televisions. And in many cases, their used counterparts work equally well.

Not everything should be purchased solely as a monetary investment. In many, many cases, the value is the ownership and use of the new product itself...not just the residual value.

In addition, most people value the peace of mind that comes with a brand-new product with the original warranty. If that piece of mind wasn't valuable in it's own right, people wouldn't be spending billions of dollars worldwide on extended warranty plans for new merchandise.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

sovietjet

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:38 am

I have a WRX, I've had it for 2 years with no problems. I have a 2002 model and although the tranny is kinda weak, as long as you dont drive like an idiot you'll be fine. Also the newer models have better trannies. Either way, dont listen to some stupid website, how can they say a brand new 2007 car is unreliable? Enjoy the car, Subarus are great.

montanaflyer

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:50 am

I'm not an overly big fan of subeys, but my first car ever was an 85 subaru that my daddy bought me for a cool $400 with 230,000 miles on her, the only thing I ever did to her was buy new tires and change the oil-- when I remembered to. But aside from that, I think its funny how popular subarus are out west, in my hometown of Missoula, Outback's are like gold, used ones are overpriced, they fly off car lots and are the unofficial state car of Montana. You can't go three miles down a highway in western montana without seeing an Outback a forester or a legacy. My personal fave would be the B9 Tribeca, which looks kind of weird, but drives amazing! I drove one between MSO and GEG as a rental during a huge blizzard and plowed through drifts way better than my SUV.
not all who wander are lost

galapagapop

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 38):
Well, following your logic, it's also downright foolish to purchase new computers, furniture, televisions, appliances, etc, etc, etc. After all, a $4000 PC drops in value the second you take it out of the store. So do $8000 large-screen televisions. And in many cases, their used counterparts work equally well.

Not everything should be purchased solely as a monetary investment. In many, many cases, the value is the ownership and use of the new product itself...not just the residual value.

In addition, most people value the peace of mind that comes with a brand-new product with the original warranty. If that piece of mind wasn't valuable in it's own right, people wouldn't be spending billions of dollars worldwide on extended warranty plans for new merchandise.

2H4

Exactly

Some of us aren't the average American that will have to sell everything a few years later due to spending money they don't clearly have.

BTW on my clinker of a car (turns 25 next month), it costs $100 to insure monthly with collision included, sometimes driving what is considered a worthless car is worth it (not to mention I got myself the seperate aluminum bumbers that take 10MPH into the frame and only need a tap with a rubber mallet to be repaired, maybe $.02 in paint......)

LOT767-300ER

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:21 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 5):
Perhaps because not everyone wants or needs the maximum horsepower available in a given model. You know, LOT.....unlike yourself, not everyone feels the need to prove him/herself to every teenager they encounter at a stoplight.

We are talking about a stock Subaru Impreza here...where did horsepower get into the picture? I didnt tell him to go trade it in for a 2000 WS6.

Aaden is 16-20 not 45. I dont know many people in this age bracket that buy a new Impreza and decide to gently drive it to morning Trigonometry class...do you?

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 39):
I have a WRX, I've had it for 2 years with no problems. I have a 2002 model and although the tranny is kinda weak, as long as you dont drive like an idiot you'll be fine. Also the newer models have better trannies. Either way, dont listen to some stupid website, how can they say a brand new 2007 car is unreliable? Enjoy the car, Subarus are great.

In all due respect I was under the impression that you drove an STi (and thankfully an older one with a nice looking front not this frontal Kia disgrace of the current Impreza lineup)

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 41):
BTW on my clinker of a car (turns 25 next month), it costs $100 to insure monthly with collision included, sometimes driving what is considered a worthless car is worth it (not to mention I got myself the seperate aluminum bumbers that take 10MPH into the frame and only need a tap with a rubber mallet to be repaired, maybe $.02 in paint......)

Not every American keeps his car for 25 years...or 15 years or 10 years.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 38):

Usually people dont buy computers for $4000. A Car usually costs much more than these. That being said, a PC has warranty for 12 months labor and parts, car at the very least 36 months. With the amount of money you can save buying a 1.5-2 year old car you can buy 4 of those computers and a big screen TV and still have it under warranty.

Hell, why dont we just all build new houses and have peace of mind there also.

EMBQA

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 38):
After all, a $4000 PC drops in value the second you take it out of the store. So do $8000 large-screen televisions. And in many cases, their used counterparts work equally well.

My Dell Laptop was bought from their Discount Store and I saved over $1,000....!! Never used or even open. It was a CX'd order. Came loaded with nearly $1,000 in software alone. The items you used as an example are not the same. Buying a new car is a waste of money.... big time. As I said above, I bout a 2 year old Volvo S-40 Sport. Fully loaded... all the options. The new window sticker was $32,000... I bought it still under warrenty and didn't pay anywhere near that. I let the first owner take the deprissiation.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

KevinL1011

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 pm

And NOW......Back to the THREAD!

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 35):
In fact it would be JD Power

I guess if the cupholder snaps off with a "Big Gulp" in it, (a "Big Gulp" is the large 44oz drink sold at 7-11 stores) I'd be dissatisfied with the reliability.

During the Mini-Van wars of the early 1990's, the Mazda MPV beat the Nissan Quest as Consumers Reports #1 "Best Buy" because it had more cup holders.

Who died and left J.D. Powers in charge anyway?
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 28):
hehehehehehehehehehe

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 27):

The graph that I use to feed the same people who bitch and moan that American cars are unreliable and then found somehow reliable by an organization that they swear by and is biased towards Imports?? Yea I like to call it fighting fire with fire.

galapagapop

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 42):
Not every American keeps his car for 25 years...or 15 years or 10 years.

Na I bought her at 23, for me, I don't require a new vehicle, a 82' Checker cab does me fine, and being that the engine is Chevy, parts are not as much as a problem, for such an old and odd vehicle. Insurance is cheap as the car is worthless in collisions as any other car act's as my "crumple zone" and my truck chassis just takes it's bruises in stride.

ACDC8

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 45):
The graph that I use to feed the same people who bitch and moan that American cars are unreliable and then found somehow reliable by an organization that they swear by and is biased towards Imports??

So then you find the graph (JD) a credible resource?

LOT767-300ER

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 47):
So then you find the graph (JD) a credible resource?

Personally? No. The only lunatics who swear by such studies are the same people that come to me to buy electronics with a CR list in their hand...half of the products already outdated.

ACDC8

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 48):
Personally? No. The only lunatics who swear by such studies are the same people that come to me to buy electronics with a CR list in their hand...half of the products already outdated.

So why is it that when someone says they've had bad experiences with car brand A and had good experiences with car brand B, you pull this graph out to try to disprove them if you yourself, find that that it's not a credible source of information?