EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Halliburton Moves HQ To DXB

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:05 am

Very interesting indeed. Sends some mixed messages.

http://www.halliburton.com/default/m...s_release/2007/corpnws_031107.html
You can't cure stupid

Falcon84

RE: Halliburton Moves HQ To DXB

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:53 am

Yes, the VP's company moves overseas.

Why doesn't that surprise me?

All the Americans who had a part in this should be stripped of their citizenship, and they should have to pay a huge tax penalty for moving outside the U.S.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AsstChiefMark

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 am

Cheney's planning his big escape.   

[Edited 2007-03-12 03:10:12]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Falcon84

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 2):
Cheney's planning his big escape

In the humor of the moment, you could be right, though.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MKEdude

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:10 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Thread starter):
Sends some mixed messages.

Really? They bilked the U.S. government for every dime that they could, and now they're moving overseas so they won't have to pay taxes on any of it.

What's mixed about that?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Blackbird

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 am

Actually, I wouldn't be suprized if Cheney is planning for his escape.

Andrea Kent
(Should I die mysteriously you know who to blame)

EWRCabincrew
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 4):
What's mixed about that?

Mixed in the sense that the move will make them no longer open for scrutiny and make then less liable for any wrong-doing (Cheney, too). Then who do we go after, they are "offshore", now what?
You can't cure stupid

71Zulu

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:53 am

What's the big deal?

Your democrat buddy George Soros apparently has no problem with Haliburton.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54532
Clickable links only please!

IAH777

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:56 am

Hmmm...the UAE must be planning to invade Indonesia....  scratchchin 

COIAHLGW

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:08 am

Just in time for the December start of the direct EK flight from IAH-DXB  Smile

AsstChiefMark

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:14 am

How true is this?

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Pope

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):
All the Americans who had a part in this should be stripped of their citizenship, and they should have to pay a huge tax penalty for moving outside the U.S.

Have you ever read the Constitution or the US tax code?

First of all there is absolutely no mechanism under the US Code or US Constitution to strip a natural born American of their citizenship. Once again your hypocrisy shows. Whenever something you oppose comes up, you seem to have no problem violating the law or the Constitution to achieve the goal you support.

Second, the US tax code has substantial penalties for outbound transfers of assets from the US. However, if you do a little bit of reading on this matter you'll see that the company remains incorporated in the US and therefore subject to US taxation on its worldwide income.

By the way, the US is one of the few countries that has a worldwide basis of taxation, a feature which is commonly discussed as a big impediment for the competitiveness of US companies operating around the world.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

767Lover

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:33 am

Ah, relax everyone. It's not a new phenomenon for executives to want to be close to the action:

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/88345.../c_8834654?f=TodayInFinance_Inside

Given Halliburton's business, the move doesn't seem nonsensical. I think this is a case of trying to sniff out something that isn't there.

ltbewr

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:44 am

Maybe it is to avoid some of the problems under Sorbains-Oxley, they can hide some of their 'business' and documents from the prying eyes of the USA Justice department and SEC.

767Lover

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 14):
Maybe it is to avoid some of the problems under Sorbains-Oxley, they can hide some of their 'business' and documents from the prying eyes of the USA Justice department and SEC.

Nope, not possible if they are listed on a US stock exchange. They still have to comply.

(and it's Sarbanes-Oxley)

FlyingTexan

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Quoting COIAHLGW (Reply 9):
Just in time for the December start of the direct EK flight from IAH-DXB

the same thing I thought upon hearing this on the news ...
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:14 pm

Well, Falcon, I guess this includes the CEOs of every damn company that ever moved manufacturing and other US jobs overseas. How about US, DL, US< sending their Call Centers overseas. Should the folks that dreamed this debacle up have to move, be stripped of their citizenship, and denied their rights as Americans?

sarcastic 

One of your more . . shall I say . . . less than stellar posts my friend. Just a rant. No basis in reality.

Yes, the VP's company moves overseas.

By the By, it's not the VP's company. He doesn't work there any longer.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):
Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 2):
Cheney's planning his big escape

In the humor of the moment, you could be right, though.

sarcastic 

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 5):

sarcastic  Again . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

BHMNONREV

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:36 pm

While the move over here is no surprise, the fact that Dave Lesar is the one making the move IS the surprise. We have been hearing this for several years now, and it looks like it will finally happen.

The timing is a little strange though...  scratchchin 

Falcon84

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 11):
Once again your hypocrisy shows.

I knew I could count on you to defend Halliburton, Pope. Right on schedule.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
By the By, it's not the VP's company. He doesn't work there any longer.

Sure he does, he's just temporarily reassigned.
Work Right, Fly Hard

disruptivehair

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 11):
By the way, the US is one of the few countries that has a worldwide basis of taxation, a feature which is commonly discussed as a big impediment for the competitiveness of US companies operating around the world.

Not to mention inconvenient for US citizens living abroad. I have to file a tax return with the IRS every year even though I have no income from the US and pay taxes on my income FROM the UK...TO the UK. Only the first $80,000 or so of a salary abroad is tax-free; after that, the US tries to get its grabby hands on it and you have to file all sorts of papers to keep it away from them...if you can. I don't have to pay tax in the US on my income here, but I know people here who do. They're investment bankers on 7 figure salaries, but still...how is it fair?

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:53 pm

WHAT exactly does the term " a HQ" mean ? Does Halliburton have several HQs ? In their press-release they write
""" a corporate headquarters office """ which hints to them in future having TWO HQs, one in Houston and one in Dubai.

Pope

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):
I knew I could count on you to defend Halliburton, Pope. Right on schedule.

I'm not defending Halliburton because there is nothing to defend. This move doesn't reduce the US tax base one penny (in fact, if you even took the time to familiarize yourself with the tax code you talk so ignorantly about, you'd realize that this may substantially accelerate the timing of payments to the US Treasury). Second, why shouldn't a company that wants to focus on oil services be headquartered in the Middle East? You rant about the US needing to understand other cultures and then condemn companies when they take specific steps to do that.

Third, your discussion of stripping a US citizens of his rights is a complete double standard. You rant against due process violations committed by the administration against enemy combatants, yet you have no problem advocating a unilateral ex parte divestment of a US citizen's rights when he's broken no law (which stands in direct violation of the US Constitution). That's hypocrisy pure and simple.

You can try to make this about me. You can try to make it about Halliburton. But your hypocritical writings always come back to haunt you.

TedTAce

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 17):
Should the folks that dreamed this debacle up have to move, be stripped of their citizenship, and denied their rights as Americans?

Yes. As someone who has lost 3 jobs and counting to outsourcing I'd love to see the ORIGINAL person who came up with the idea of sending call centers to India Drawn, Quarted, Beheaded and humiliated in every way possible.
This space intentionally left blank

Pope

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 23):
Yes. As someone who has lost 3 jobs and counting to outsourcing I'd love to see the ORIGINAL person who came up with the idea of sending call centers to India Drawn, Quarted, Beheaded and humiliated in every way possible.

That person would be Adam Smith.

There is absolutely no reason why the market shouldn't adjust so that the most rational allocation of resources occurs.

TedTAce

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 24):
rational allocation

The problem is you have accountants doing what they THINK is the best based on pure #'s. They 'can't' factor things in like how much more efficiently an American can work with another American to increase the productivity of BOTH. They only shortsightedly see the savings in labor and forget that someone has to WORK HARDER and LONGER with the person being underpaid on the other end to resolve the problem. Why is Dell and a few other companies moving their operations back?

Pope

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 25):
They only shortsightedly see the savings in labor and forget that someone has to WORK HARDER and LONGER with the person being underpaid on the other end to resolve the problem. Why is Dell and a few other companies moving their operations back?

I don't disagree one single bit. Rational allocation of resources has to incorporate the total costs versus the total benefits. But make no mistake about it, labor intensive activities will eventually move overseas because the cost of labor is so much cheaper. Will there be problems - absolutely; but will those problems get solved - you can bet on it.

Look back 30 years to the mid-'70's and think about what a Honda or a Toyota vehicle represented at that time. Jump forward 30 years and they're about to overtake GM as the leading sellers of vehicles in the US. They've fixed their problems and part of that fix was to bring manufacturing back to the US (albeit with different labor agreements).

Everyone has to adapt and constantly work at acquiring new skills. The rate of technological change is accelerating. 50 years ago you could go through life studying one thing in college and getting through your working career using that knowledge. Now, the stuff you learn in college is obsolete almost by the time you graduate.

When I started working in public accounting, the US Treasury had just issued new entity classification regulations that substantially changed the fundamental basis for international tax planning for US multinationals. Nobody had any idea how to apply these rules, we were literally making it up as we went along. But that meant that me, as a newly minted CPA, had the exact same experience with these rules as a 55 year old tax partner. I busted my ass to learn everything I could about these rules. I wrote white papers that my senior partners presented a firm training. Within 3 months our office had become the lead on using "check-the-box" regulations to create favorable tax planning for our clients. With change comes opportunity. You can either sit back and let change happen or try to get ahead of it and use it to your advantage.

RJdxer

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Perhaps you should get the facts before making ludicrous statements like this.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4621008.html

1. Halliburton will still maintain a corporate office here in Houston which will include the
COO and the CFO.

2. Hallibuton, through its spokesperson, has said that no layoffs are planned for the 4,000 Houston area employees.

3. Dubai is a place where the CEO can get face time with the decision makers from areas of the world where the oil field industry is still growing. Unlike here in the States where any new well or field is treated as some sort of nuclear weapons threat. If you look at what Dubai offers to those decision makers that are Muslim, then maybe you could understand why it has grown to be what it is and why it makes sense for the CEO of Halliburton to be there.

But rather than gather the facts and then make an informed decision, you revert to the usual caveman status, "Halliburton.....baaaaddd". Funny thing is, it was a Halliburton subsidiary KBR, which they are selling off, that was the source of all the Pentagon problems. I also have to agree with several of the posters above. You instantly, and without any evidence, call for the stripping of citizenship. You seem to do that very easily and then jump on the poster that questions your thought process. Yet when someone questions your version of patriotism, oh they are so baaaaddd for doing so. Nice to know that you have a standard that you maintain, even if it is a pretty low one.
 faint 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

767Lover

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 23):

People used to say the same thing about computers and IT taking away manual jobs.

yowza

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:17 pm

This is really not that big a deal. Agreed physically moving headquarters to DXB is something but if you examine Halliburton down to its core you will see that it already owns a plethora of subsidiaries and shell companies that have rendered it a non-US company many years ago.

This ridonculous network of companies has served them well, allowing for tax evasion, bending certain international laws that don't appeal to them and has facilitated Halliburton (KBR) doing business in Iran.

YOWza

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:25 pm

Maybe one of the Maktoums buys Halliburton shares in a decisive way, takes the company as a whole to Dubai, and then hires Cheney as "honorary chairman of the board" in order to secure all the business "captured" in Iraq  scratchchin 

yowza

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 30):
Maybe one of the Maktoums buys Halliburton shares in a decisive way, takes the company as a whole to Dubai, and then hires Cheney as "honorary chairman of the board" in order to secure all the business "captured" in Iraq

Will not happen. The company is too hot a potato for families with such influence to get their hands on. If I'm not mistaken Khalaf Al-Habtoor had some interest in them but after all of the nonsense that has been uncovered about them and after the Dubai Ports World ifasco in the states he pulled out of that and has adamantly stated his opposition to such companies.

YOWza

BHMNONREV

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 27):
Funny thing is, it was a Halliburton subsidiary KBR, which they are selling off, that was the source of all the Pentagon problems.

Trust me, this is one divorce which will completely amicable. We (KBR) are ready to move on, and Halliburton can concentrate on the Middle East Oil and Gas business...

RJdxer

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 32):
Trust me, this is one divorce which will completely amicable.

Agreed, and Halliburton was most generous in allowing the stock swap.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

TedTAce

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 26):
Honda or a Toyota

How many Honda/Toyota engineers were trying to walk an American through building the car they designed?

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 28):
People used to say the same thing about computers and IT taking away manual jobs.

Excuse my xenophobia, but at least the jobs were being lost to other people in country and re-training was a viable option.
Do you know how hard the people at the un-employment office laugh when you say you want to be re-trained after 10+ years of computers? If they don't burst out laughing, they point you out to helldesk jobs that pay worse then Mc Donalds and if you take one you loose it a few months later to 'the overseas project' they REFUSED to tell you about when you got hired.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 31):
Maybe one of the Maktoums buys Halliburton shares in a decisive way, takes the company as a whole to Dubai, and then hires Cheney as "honorary chairman of the board" in order to secure all the business "captured" in Iraq
--------------------------------
Will not happen. The company is too hot a potato for families with such influence to get their hands on. If I'm not mistaken Khalaf Al-Habtoor had some interest in them but after all of the nonsense that has been uncovered about them and after the Dubai Ports World ifasco in the states he pulled out of that and has adamantly stated his opposition to such companies.

-
Maybe. But if so, that so-called "HQ" will be nothing else than a high-level "FIELD-OFFICE" . Unless they actually DO transfer real HQ-functions to Dubai.

yowza

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 35):
Maybe. But if so, that so-called "HQ" will be nothing else than a high-level "FIELD-OFFICE" . Unless they actually DO transfer real HQ-functions to Dubai.

I'm sorry, I didn't follow your point at all... care to elaborate?

Pope

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 34):
How many Honda/Toyota engineers were trying to walk an American through building the car they designed?

Ted, not sure what you're trying to say here.

TedTAce

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 37):
Ted, not sure what you're trying to say here.

You give a GREAT example of countries overcomming adversity to go on to do great things. My counterpoint is that they were able to accomplish because they were not hindered by working with what to them are foreigners in US.

Pope

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 38):
You give a GREAT example of countries overcomming adversity to go on to do great things. My counterpoint is that they were able to accomplish because they were not hindered by working with what to them are foreigners in US.

Ted, have you ever been to Asia? There's definitely a hierarcy amongst Asians. For example, Singaporean look down on Chinese. Hong Kong Chinese look down on mainland Chinese (the also look down at Phillipinos). My point is that meanial work is always exported such that everyone has to work with everyone. While key positions tend to stay within the family, diversity in the work place is the rule not the exception.

The difference is that the rest of the world struggles daily to achieve what the US takes for granted. I recently heard the statistic that India either has in college or graduated (don't remember which) something on the order of 40,000 engineers last year. The US graduated 40,000 sports managment majors.

We are being left behind because of our own inability to compete in a global marketplace where geographical borders mean less and less each day. We can either adapt (which requires us [everyone of us] to constantly learn new skills) or lose.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 36):
. care to elaborate?

simple. An office where the top guns of a company work is not necessarily the HQ, particularily if all major company functions stay in the old place. And the text of their press release clearly says " a corporate headquarters office" which means just one office of the HQ and not THE HQ as such. If you look into their WEBsite it becomes plainly clear that THE HQ still is in Houston/Texas.
-

Quoting Pope (Reply 39):
recently heard the statistic that India either has in college or graduated (don't remember which) something on the order of 40,000 engineers last year. The US graduated 40,000 sports managment majors.
--
We are being left behind because of our own inability to compete in a global marketplace where geographical borders mean less and less each day.

-
well, it possibly is not really an "inability" but the feeling to be in a position to afford it. I remember to have discussed a few years ago with a young man who was right then finalising in college, and I for a while did not really understand his point, until I with shock realized that he was to chose the university NOT on the basis of what they offered in the educational sense but on the basis of what sports they offered as THE major criteria. To be honest, I was speechless and in need of air !  boggled   scratchchin 
-

Aaron747

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:20 am

Halliburton shouldn't be permitted to relocate until they pay up the $2.7 billion in war profiteering overcharges they still owe the government.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

PLANAR

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 39):
The difference is that the rest of the world struggles daily to achieve what the US takes for granted. I recently heard the statistic that India either has in college or graduated (don't remember which) something on the order of 40,000 engineers last year. The US graduated 40,000 sports managment majors.

checkmark 

I remember I used to struggle and work very hard to outrun all competition to get anything, that a person in US takes so much for granted. Citizens of US live a blessed life and thats why, people from across the world aim to settle here because work is rewarded very highly here.

India has 40,000+ engineering graduates passing out every year, 5000 of which pass out from the 7 premier institutes of technologies, the IITs (Indian Institute of Technology), with facilities akin to that of MIT (have a look at: http://www.iitb.ac.in). These 5000 students are some of the best brains in the world and go on to achieve pinnacles in thier lifetimes (alumnis of IITs have been Chief Ministers, head of Sun Microsystems, Head programmers of almost all silicon valley companies). Not to mention the excellent research that goes on in these institutes.
This is apart from the excellent National Institute of Technology network of universities.

In spite of that US has amazing universities and education infrastructure.

About the only thing happening is capitalism finally playing out, businesses will go where they can maximise profit. People look at jobs being outsourced, scarcely understanding that firstly, these jobs are menial and secondly, its the US companies that are maximising profits, ultimately the money is put in US economy only!

Quoting Pope (Reply 39):
We are being left behind because of our own inability to compete in a global marketplace where geographical borders mean less and less each day. We can either adapt (which requires us [everyone of us] to constantly learn new skills) or lose.

Men should always learn new things as a general life funda. Change is the only constant in life and learning the only solace out of it.

By the way,
For sheer objectivity in this thread and for calling a spade - a spade without resorting to emotionally fuddled appeals, Mr. Pope - Welcome to my RU list.
Flim-Flam Balderdash...