TedTAce
Topic Author

Fred Thompson.. A Conservative I Can Vote For?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:50 am

I haven't done the research yet, but from what little I know he's an ok guy. Granted I'd prefer Christopher Walken if we are going to elect an actor turned president again, but hey, this could be ok.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17576578/
[quote]Actor Fred Thompson considers 2008 run
Former GOP senator and star of 'Law and Order' to decide in coming months[quote]
This space intentionally left blank

IFEMaster

RE: Fred Thompson.. A Conservative I Can Vote For?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting TedTAce (Thread starter):
Granted I'd prefer Christopher Walken if we are going to elect an actor turned president again, but hey, this could be ok.

In need of more cowbell in your neck of the wood, Ted?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

TedTAce
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):

I got a fever.

allstarflyer

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 am

Granted I'd prefer Christopher Walken if we are going to elect an actor turned president again, but hey, this could be ok.

rotfl 

Fred Thompson does look good so far, to me.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 2):
Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):

I got a fever.

And the prescription is?

-R
Living the American Dream

IFEMaster

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 3):
And the prescription is?

[Edited 2007-03-12 18:04:20]
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

andessmf

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 2):
I got a fever.

Answers this:

this could be ok.

Mir

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:18 am

I haven't done the research yet, but from what little I know he's an ok guy.

His stance on the issues, on the other hand.....  no 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

deltagator

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
His stance on the issues, on the other hand.....

Such as? What concerns you?

I haven't done the math yet on him versus the others. So far he's ok in my book for his classic line in The Hunt for Red October..."Son, a Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan." Seriously though I think he's a pretty straight talker when compared to other politicians of any party.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

CastleIsland

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):

Quoting from the cited article:

"Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science.

Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Thompson is a fundraiser for Libby's defense."

For starters...
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

UALPHLCS

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:37 am

I know Fred Thopson on his positions. He is certainly someone I could vote for. If he gets in the race I could see my support swing from Rudy to Fred. Of course, the first primary is so far away none of this means anything yet.

So far he's ok in my book for his classic line in The Hunt for Red October..."Son, a Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan."

Yes I have to say that's probably my favorite Fred Thopson line as well.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

deltagator

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:44 am

Ok, for starters...

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 8):
"Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science.

While I'm pro-life (are you ever really pro-death?) I think Roe v. Wade should be overturned due to a crazy little thing we don't seem to get a shit about anymore...the 10th Amendment to the Constitution. There is no reason why it should have ever been handled at a Federal level.

Opposes gay marriage, but would let states decide whether to allow civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

I'm really getting tired of the whole gay marriage thing and the stance from the GOP. I'm conservative and I don't give a damn if some gay guys or lesbians get hitched. Whether I'm pro-gay or anti-gay doesn't matter since them getting married doesn't affect my life, liberty, or property rights. When it does affect those thn I'll get concerned. Until then I say let them get married and join us straight folks in misery.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

CastleIsland

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 10):
are you ever really pro-death?

Well, the argument of how to reconcile one's position on the death penalty and abortion does cloud the issue at times. Mainly if one is pro-choice and anti-death penalty. Curious to see where he stands on the death penalty, but I think I can guess.

I'm really getting tired of the whole gay marriage thing and the stance from the GOP. I'm conservative and I don't give a damn if some gay guys or lesbians get hitched. Whether I'm pro-gay or anti-gay doesn't matter since them getting married doesn't affect my life, liberty, or property rights. When it does affect those thn I'll get concerned. Until then I say let them get married and join us straight folks in misery.

Well stated.

To be fair, Thompson seems like an up-front enough guy, and I respect that, but there are enough platform issues that I disagree with for me to consider him at this point. Maybe he'll flip-flop.  Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

dl021

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):

He's actually a lawyer turned actor. He was one of the attorneys in the Watergate hearings, and he has been heavily involved in politics since way before he ever got an acting gig.

It's not like he gained note first as an actor. That lends some credibility towards him,

The left will have plenty of ammo against him, which will give him good conservative credentials (since the far left will attack him pretty strongly) but he'll have some good appeal to the middle.

I like him, and saw from some of his Senate career that he's fairly moderate compared to some.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

UALPHLCS

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:02 am

While I'm pro-life (are you ever really pro-death?) I think Roe v. Wade should be overturned due to a crazy little thing we don't seem to get a shit about anymore...the 10th Amendment to the Constitution. There is no reason why it should have ever been handled at a Federal level.

That's the best summation of my stance as well.

But don't you know DeltaGator if you're against Roe v. Wade you're a religious extremist, no matter what your reasons.

LOL. But I have to disagree with you there.

I'm libertarian enough to agree with Fred Thompson about Civil Unions. I think it is wrong for judges and courts to decide take legislative duties unto themselves. If gays and lesbians want hospital visitation rights, inheritance and the like, the legal contract that is recognized by states can be modified. But Marriage is a specific anthropological, legal and religious institution. The anthropological definition of marriage which BTW is the broadest definition, encompassing, Polygamy and Polyandry where it is practiced in the world, still shows that no culture defines a relationship between two people of the same sex as marriage. All other criteria are based on the laws and customs of the culture, but no culture has same sex marriage.

From the little synopsis of Fred Thompson's views on the issues I'd say I like his positions. I can't wait to see what he does.

CastleIsland

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 13):
I think it is wrong for judges and courts to decide take legislative duties unto themselves.

A fair Libertarian view, but:

If gays and lesbians want hospital visitation rights, inheritance and the like, the legal contract that is recognized by states can be modified.

And will be challenged in courts with Judges present.

But Marriage is a specific anthropological, legal and religious institution.

If it's legal, then that means Judges and courts will become involved at some point.

Why in this case? Because someone forgot about the separation of church and state and made a legal representation of marriage that considered religion.

Pope

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:08 am

I'll accept the argument that educated people can disagree on the Constitutionality of Roe v. Wade but is there any doubt that the fetus is alive at some point between conception and viability (viability being arbitrarily defined by the third trimester in the Roe logic)?

If alive, then why doesn't the fetus deserve the very same constitutional protections the mother seeks to enforce?

Religion, morality and I think . . . have no place in this debate. The abortion matter as it appears before the judiciary should be argued purely on the constitutional arguments. The pro-choice position's problem in doing this is that they can't get past the first issue - they can't ever conceed, however absurd their position is, that a fetus is alive while still in the womb.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

stlgph

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
His stance on the issues, on the other hand..... no

Sam Brownback Light with a splash with Mike Huckabee.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

deltagator

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:42 am

But don't you know DeltaGator if you're against Roe v. Wade you're a religious extremist, no matter what your reasons.

It does seem that way doesn't it some times? Quite sad that rational thought from someone in the middle of the road elicits such a response. The reverse goes for folks wanting to keep Roe v. Wade and how they just have to be commie, pinko, baby-killers.

I'm libertarian enough to agree with Fred Thompson about Civil Unions. I think it is wrong for judges and courts to decide take legislative duties unto themselves. If gays and lesbians want hospital visitation rights, inheritance and the like, the legal contract that is recognized by states can be modified. But Marriage is a specific anthropological, legal and religious institution. The anthropological definition of marriage which BTW is the broadest definition, encompassing, Polygamy and Polyandry where it is practiced in the world, still shows that no culture defines a relationship between two people of the same sex as marriage. All other criteria are based on the laws and customs of the culture, but no culture has same sex marriage.

Ok, I see your point but I look at it this way.

Marriage is two things. One religious and one secular and they are both binding contracts. IMO you should only be required to have the secular one to have the "benefits" that gay folks claim (and in lots of cases they do have a point) they are lacking.

1. The religious side is a contract between you, your partner, and the church that you attend. If you are an atheist, agnostic, or just don't give a damn if whatever you consider God, Allah, etc. cares or doesn't care about your life then don't get this contract. If you're gay and Catholic (as an example) and don't like that your church won't accept you an your partner then by all means feel free to find another church that does. At some point you have to pick which is more important to you...your partner or a church dogma you are in direct disagreement with.

And for the folks that start down the "slippery slope" of what next...do we let the queers marry their well hung Great Dane or GKirk marry his wonderfully sexy ewe?...I say read on...

2. The secular side of the house is a legal contract between two parties that have the ability to enter into a contract. This should be the only damn thing our government cares about. Whether you be male or female, FF, or MM as long as you meet the requirements to enter into a legally binding contract that should be the only thing that matters.

Since only folks that can enter into a contract would be allowed you then get rid of the 12 year olds getting married off to a pervert leader of a cult, guys marrying sheep, and women marrying the mule down the street.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong.

UALPHLCS

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 14):
Why in this case? Because someone forgot about the separation of church and state and made a legal representation of marriage that considered religion.

Marriage has always been a quasi-legal and religious institution. i.e. dowries, arranged marriages and the like. It is an institution that in every culture has had one foot in each realm. It only became a problem when OUR legal system separated church and state. (Not that I think separation of Church and State is a bad thing but it did have unintended consequences.)

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 17):
One religious and one secular and they are both binding contracts. IMO you should only be required to have the secular one to have the "benefits" that gay folks claim (and in lots of cases they do have a point) they are lacking.

Which as far as I can tell is exactly what Civil Unions are. Which is what Fred Thopmson is for. However, because Civil Unions don't have the word marriage in them gay activists still aren't satisfied. You can't have everthing in this society, some just don't get that.

Frankly if we want to solve this issue to everyone's satisfaction marriage ought to be done the way the French do it. (Shocker coming from me who thinks the only thing the French so well is Whine and Cheese...oh and wine.)

Anyway in France you have to have a civil ceremony and you can also have a religious ceremony on top of that. If a couple want to have the legal rights of marriage they go for the Civil Union Homo or Hetero alike, but only Hetero couples can go on and have the religious certificate as well.

Solves the legal problem, and maintains the anthropological institution of marriage.

jaysit

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:44 am

Clearly this jackass is trying to present himself as the "TRUE" social conservative, given that Rudy is the kind of Republican most Dems would be happy to vote for, Mitt is a Mormon (thus, disliked by the usual cast of characters), and John McCain has flip flopped on the Cro-magnon stances beloved by the Christian right so often that he's become political poison to them.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Superfly

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 19):
John McCain has flip flopped on the Cro-magnon stances beloved by the Christian right so often that he's become political poison to them.

What ever happend to the 'straight talk express'? Big grin

If Fred Thompson can keep Rudy from winning the nomination, then I am all for it.
Bring back the Concorde

UALPHLCS

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:05 am

Clearly this jackass is trying to present himself as the "TRUE" social conservative

Cro-magnon stances beloved by the Christian right so often that he's become political poison to them.

Ah... the open mindedness of the intellectually free, on display for all to see.

Those who don't believe in something will believe in anything.

itsonlyme

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:08 am

Well Chuck Hagel had his little press conference today, 'Im here to announance I will make an announcement . . .' sort of thing. Basically says he is undecided over what to do, but didnt rule out running as an independant, which could make things very interesting. Hes a very conservative guy, but of course is a sharp critic of the Iraq war, which could suck for the primaries. Straight talkin kinda guy, Vietnam vet, almost like where McCain was in 2000. Along with Thompson, certain groups on the right are trying to convince SC Gov. Mark Sanford to run.

deltagator

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:12 am

Clearly this jackass is trying to present himself as the "TRUE" social conservative

Thanks for playing Jaysit but try again without being an ass. I'm sorry you're panties are in a bunch because you are a self-loathing gay man but give it a rest once in a while. When you state things in this manner people just look past your opinion as a joke.

jaysit

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 21):
Ah... the open mindedness of the intellectually free, on display for all to see.

Indeed.

Intolerance of the intolerant rid the earth of the flat earth society.

Of course die-hard 21st century Luddite bastions still exist, as this lovely forum reminds us on a daily basis. Indeed, "intellectual" and "free," let alone "intellectually free" are alien concepts to the rancid conservatives Mr. Thompson plans on pandering to.

UALPHLCS

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 24):

No, actually it was intolerance of ignorance.

There is a difference.

however, I'm willing to bet you can't see the difference nor do you care. Which puts you right amongst those you love to hate.

jaysit

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 25):
however, I'm willing to bet you can't see the difference nor do you care. Which puts you right amongst those you love to hate.

Uh huh.

Keep going.

Those tired and trite lines have been tried condeming those who have a less than adoring view of the intolerance and ignorance of the Christian right are old hat.

Maybe we should just call it igtolerance. Or intolignorance. Either way, spending one's time deep in thought ananlyzing the varied and fantastic mind patterns of the ignorant, intolerant or igtolerant is pointless. Hating them is even more so. History has, and will, take care of them. The dustbins of history are littered with the emptiness of their beliefs.

jaysit

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):
If Fred Thompson can keep Rudy from winning the nomination, then I am all for it.

I hear you.

Although I like Rudy and if the choice was between an unelectable Democrat and Rudy Guiliani, I'd vote for Rudy any day. I don't buy into all the bluster of the "Hero of 9-11" P.R. schtick, but I think he's a good man and can unite the country with his moderate stance.

Superfly

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 27):
Although I like Rudy and if the choice was between an unelectable Democrat and Rudy Guiliani, I'd vote for Rudy any day. I don't buy into all the bluster of the "Hero of 9-11" P.R. schtick, but I think he's a good man and can unite the country with his moderate stance.

Rudy can kiss the bottom of my shoe. He wasn't all that "uniting" was mayor.
Bring back the Concorde

stlgph

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:51 am

the sad truth is, Giuliani has more support from the die-hard Democrats now than he does die-hard Republicans.

McCain is almost the same way.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

BCAInfoSys

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:51 am

See what I want to know is Thompson's position on the 2nd Amendment. Every single candidate out there, including Guilianni are a bunch of freakin' gun nazi's. Rudy, Obama, Hillary, Romney *shudder*... every single of one them would like to see every gun destroyed and the 2nd amendment overturned. Maybe in an ideal world, but not practical at all in reality. The 2nd Amendment is going to be the deciding factor for me in this issue, along with Gay Marriage (it should absolutely be allowed, it's no one's business who you sleep with or who you marry).

Only time will tell if a decent moderate candidate emerges. So far, I'm not impressed. I have yet to find a SINGLE candidate I could vote for in good conscience.
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

Mir

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:23 am

Along the same lines as CastleIsland:

Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision as "bad law and bad medical science."

The "bad medical science" part sounds to me like he would like the government to have a hand in determining what is good science and what is not - something I do not believe is the government's job.

This line about marriage being between only a man and a woman is getting really old.

Supports President Bush's decision to increase troops in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify things. I think we're doing that now," he said. "Why would we not take any chance, even though there's certainly no guarantees, to not be run out of that place? I mean, we've got to take that opportunity and give it a chance to work."

This isn't an automatic cause for alarm, but it sounds to me like he supports staying in Iraq for the sake of staying in Iraq, on the off chance that something good might come out of it. If we're going to stay in Iraq, it should be for a better reason than the fact that we didn't want to have pulled out.

Would pardon former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby's conviction for perjury and obstruction of justice now, rather than waiting until all his appeals are exhausted. Thompson is a fundraiser for Libby's defense.

I would consider that to be interfering with the judicial system. Yes, I know presidents make some unpopular pardons, but at least let the appeals system do its thing.

Most of all, there was nothing on his plans to deal with outsourcing, education, healthcare, and the host of other domestic issues that need addressing. The country needs to be run based on something other than Iraq or what goes on in people's bedrooms. I realize that he may not have been asked about those issues (which is a media problem), but it still gives me pause.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 12):
He's actually a lawyer turned actor. He was one of the attorneys in the Watergate hearings, and he has been heavily involved in politics since way before he ever got an acting gig.

It's not like he gained note first as an actor. That lends some credibility towards him,

I never said he didn't have credibility because he was an actor. In fact, I never said he didn't have credibility. I just don't agree with his positions on a few things. Simple as that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BCAInfoSys

Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:30 am

So I did some more checking and it seems I may have a decent candidate after all. Fred Thompson has come down pretty solidly as an advocate for the 2nd Amendment. If you Google "Fred Thompson Gun Control" you'll find some decent information on his voting record.

I'm liking this guy more and more as time goes by...

GuitrThree

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:49 am

Fred Thompson ROCKS!

I called this WAYYYYYY long ago..

From Thread #950896 Dated 9/26/2005

GuitrThree From United States, joined Oct 2004, 1058 posts, RR: 15
Reply 21, posted Mon Sep 26 2005 23:51:04 your local time (1 year 5 months 2 weeks 2 days 17 hours ago) and read 183 times:

In Answering Falcons question
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 12):
Maybe the GOP, if it gets rid of the likes of Frist and Santorum, could actually nominate someone decent in '08. Although I doubt it.

To which I answered:

Two Words:

Fred Thompson

Fred Thompson is the candidate we (conservatives) need.

He is conservative but can reach across the aisle to the moderates, yes, the blue-blood democrats recently elected. While he would reach out to those that still have a brain in the democratic party, he'd tell Nancy Pelosi where to fly the damn jet, and tell Harry Reid to spend his time in the casinos where he'd have better luck winning the slots before getting any bills passed.
He's waiting to get in, letting the mud sling now, and entering when its settled down. Besides that, if Fred wins, how many times would I get to see Air Force 1 up close and personal!!!

What I find interesting is that Al Gore could still enter late also...

An ALL NASHVILLE TENNESSEE Al Gore -vs- Fred Thompson race???

What the crap?? How the heck fun would that be living here in middle TN!!!
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

Falcon84

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:57 am

He's pro gun, he's pro-life, he's anti gay-marriage, he would pardon Scooter Libby, and, probably, if it came to it, Dick Cheney.

A mixed bag from my view. But he's a smart guy, and I don't see him as a zelot on anything. He would fall more under the lines of a strict constitutionalist than anything, and I have problems with that.

He could be a very interesting candidate, that's for sure, and could steal some thunder from both Giuliani and McCain.
Work Right, Fly Hard

TedTAce
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:15 am

But Marriage is a specific anthropological, legal and religious institution.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 34):
could steal some thunder from both Giuliani

He would RAPE Giuliani. McCain would be a handful but a Thompson/McCain ticket would be tough to beat especially with the invariable mud slinging that's bound to continue to occur between Clinton and Obama..

deltagator

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:21 am

He would fall more under the lines of a strict constitutionalist than anything, and I have problems with that.

Interesting take on it. Since when did being a strict constitutionalist becomea bad thing?

OPNLguy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:26 am

I haven't done the math yet on him versus the others. So far he's ok in my book for his classic line in The Hunt for Red October..."Son, a Russian doesn't take a dump without a plan."

Funny, but another article I just read on this was subtitled "The Hunt for a Red October (as in "red" states); pretty clever on someone's part.

As for the THFRO quote, it was indeed a good one, but it was sadly counteracted by that "Stack 'em, pack 'em, and rack'em" BS from that stinker "Die Hard-2".

Besides, do we really need/want another actor as POTUS? We'd really never know when we were being lied to and/or having sunshine being blown up our backsides.

FWIW, right or wrong, I still tend to think the election will boil down to a battle between a Giuliani/Romney ticket and a Clinton/Obama one. Many (most?) folks like Rudy (having been the "face" of a post-9/11 NYC); Some folks like Ronmey for his salvaging the SLC Olympics and inherent conservatism emanating from his LDS background (...and I would hope that his Mormon faith isn't any more an issue than for any other candidate, be they Baptist, Methodist, or anything else. The "JFK is a Catholic" issue in the 1960 election was 47 years ago--haven't people evolved and progressed beyond that kind of nonsense?). On the Dem side, we have Clinton/Obama appealing to their traditional blocks, and in 2008, especially the women and minorities. Who will win? I have no earthly idea...

The most excruciating things that the populace are going to have to endure between now and November 2008 are all the disgusting TV commercials and the mud-slinging, including "Swiftboating" tactics, and from both sides. Donald Segretti would be proud...

[Edited 2007-03-13 01:29:23]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BCAInfoSys

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 37):
.and I would hope that his Mormon faith isn't any more an issue than for any other candidate, be they Baptist, Methodist, or anything else.

Good luck on that one. A.) People are just as religiously biased today as they ever were. B.) Romney doesn't even have the homecrowd that comes with the Mormon political machine. Many leaders of the LDS church as well as a good portion of their followers are not happy with Romney for being a "flip flopper" on the gay marriage debate. The fact that he was governor while gay marriage was legal in Mass. does not sit well with the Mormon community. And his opponents will use this fact as a hit against him for coming down on both sides of the issue.

Romney will NEVER get the Republican nomination, and he'd be a hell of a hard sell as even a VP. I know I would vote for Hillary before I voted for that son of a bitch Mit, and that's saying a lot.

I like the idea of a Thompson/McCain ticket. I think they're both moderate enough to bridge part of the huge gap that's dividing our country right now.

Falcon84

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 36):
Interesting take on it. Since when did being a strict constitutionalist becomea bad thing?

Because I don't buy that it cannot be interpreted, because 1. none of us know what the Founding Fathers were thinking when they created it, and 2. The Founding Fathers couldn't have forseen the future, and how the Constitution would fit into an unknown future. I do believe that it is a living document, and can be subject to interpretation.

I didn't say it was bad, I just don't agree with such a reading of the Constitution.
Work Right, Fly Hard

deltagator

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 39):
I do believe that it is a living document, and can be subject to interpretation.

Fair enough. I'm just a big proponent of the 10th Amendment and think we have gotten away from that one.

OPNLguy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:53 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 38):
A.) People are just as religiously biased today as they ever were. B.) Romney doesn't even have the homecrowd that comes with the Mormon political machine. Many leaders of the LDS church as well as a good portion of their followers are not happy with Romney for being a "flip flopper" on the gay marriage debate.

That would have to be supposition or anecdotal in nature, since that Church clearly appears to eschew involvement in politics:

http://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/ind...M1000004e94610aRCRD&vgnextfmt=tab1

[Edited 2007-03-13 01:54:13]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

BCAInfoSys

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 40):
I do believe that it is a living document, and can be subject to interpretation.

Fair enough. I'm just a big proponent of the 10th Amendment and think we have gotten away from that one.

I'd agree with you there, but there also needs to be some sort of consistency/harmony between the states and among the country as a whole.. I'm all for local governing and the right of groups to self-govern, but there has to be a balance; otherwise chaos will surely ensue.

n229nw

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:18 am

no culture has same sex marriage.

redflag  Thanks for playing.

Canada does, Belgium does, Netherlands does, Spain does, South Africa does. etc. I suppose you only count the "cultures" you want to count?

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
The abortion matter as it appears before the judiciary should be argued purely on the constitutional arguments. The pro-choice position's problem in doing this is that they can't get past the first issue - they can't ever conceed, however absurd their position is, that a fetus is alive while still in the womb.

It's FAR from that simple. The obvious problem is that it is arbitrary to pick a single moment when a human becomes a "human" (not a bunch of living cells, or a living extension of a woman's body, but a human in its own right). Saying this happens exactly at the moment of birth is arbitrary and problematic, and so to is saying this happens at the moment of cenception. Unfortunately, there is a GIANT gray area in between, and lots of room for debate over when the woman's body and soul is more important than the foetus's and vice versa. The problem is that while every case may be different, laws can't take into account all the subtleties and individualities...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

airtran737

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:20 am

Fred Thompson is a hell of a narrator as well.

Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

dl021

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 16):
Sam Brownback Light with a splash with Mike Huckabee.

I'd actually agree with that.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 20):

Why?

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 23):
I'm sorry you're panties are in a bunch because you are a self-loathing gay man but give it a rest once in a while

Stop the personal stuff. Jaysit is a standup guy when it counts, and you really can't prove he's self-loathing just because you disagree with him. Unless he freaks out and starts personal shit with you, which he may if he's drunk-posting. There's enough solid stuff with which to disagree with him on without debasing your position with personal shit.

I actually think the dude is in love with himself if anything.

Other than that I pretty much agree with most of your points.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 24):

No...they all died or started their Martian landing hoax societies.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 26):
The dustbins of history are littered with the emptiness of their beliefs.

Wow...that's poetic....you didn't crib that from someplace, did you?

I think he's a good man and can unite the country with his moderate stance.

Probably, and I'd vote for him if we ran as things stand now. I do like Thompson, though and could see the two of them as an excellent ticket.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
Rudy can kiss the bottom of my shoe. He wasn't all that "uniting" was mayor.

Oh...I get it. He is not racist and not a facsist. The loony lefties who cried about his gestapo tactics did so safely on streets he cleaned up in order to make NYC a safer and cleaner tourist destination. The whiners who did not like being told they could not run amok in the streets and cry "fascist" every time someone says they can't smoke pot matter less when they advocate a return to a city no one wants to return to.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 29):
the sad truth is, Giuliani has more support from the die-hard Democrats now than he does die-hard Republicans.

McCain is almost the same way.

This is somewhat true, but I believe that democrats think that a guy like Giuliani will split the GOP......or hope. What I think is that if we all like the dude, let's all vote for him.

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 30):
See what I want to know is Thompson's position on the 2nd Amendment.

He's ok with that.

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 30):
every single of one them would like to see every gun destroyed and the 2nd amendment overturned

I think you're overreacting

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
I never said he didn't have credibility because he was an actor. In fact, I never said he didn't have credibility. I just don't agree with his positions on a few things. Simple as that.

OK....I was simply pointing out that he was a lawyer first, actor second....different than the other actor-politicians we know.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 35):
He would RAPE Giuliani.

Stop it. Poor imagery.

CastleIsland

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Reply 38):
I like the idea of a Thompson/McCain ticket. I think they're both moderate enough to bridge part of the huge gap that's dividing our country right now.

So a far right-winger as President, and a flip-flopper as VP. Moderate? How about inconclusive? How about you let gun control rest a bit and think about what might do the most things good for the most people?

Just a concept.

dl021

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 46):
think about what might do the most things good for the most people?

what...you think government is going to do good for most people? other than in maintaing the common defence or a justice system?

Seriously.....stop being a socialist!  Wink

TedTAce
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 45):
Stop it. Poor imagery.

The fact you are reffering to that statment as Imagery tells me one thing beyond a reasonable doubt.

You have spent too much time with Westy  Wink

allstarflyer

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):

look pretty good.

"Is "pro-life," and believes federal judges should overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision

Two  thumbsup   thumbsup 

That almost makes me want to change from a registered independent to libertarian.

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
The abortion matter as it appears before the judiciary should be argued purely on the constitutional arguments.

Quoting Pope (Reply 15):
The pro-choice position's problem in doing this is that they can't get past the first issue - they can't ever conceed, however absurd their position is, that a fetus is alive while still in the womb.

checkmark 

Quoting Itsonlyme (Reply 22):
Along with Thompson, certain groups on the right are trying to convince SC Gov. Mark Sanford to run.

He's a decent family guy.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 26):
History has, and will, take care of them. The dustbins of history are littered with the emptiness of their beliefs.

sarcastic 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
He wasn't all that "uniting" was mayor.

I'm not a Rudy-guy, but I'll take efficient over uniting.

He would fall more under the lines of a strict constitutionalist than anything, and I have problems with that.

Opposite of a strict interpretation allows for plenty of relativism.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 36):

Because I don't buy that it cannot be interpreted, because 1. none of us know what the Founding Fathers were thinking when they created it

But we can extrapolate, and it's not that difficult.

The Founding Fathers couldn't have forseen the future, and how the Constitution would fit into an unknown future. I do believe that it is a living document, and can be subject to interpretation.

Very relativistic.

-R
Living the American Dream