FriendlySkies
Topic Author

European Clothing Styles - Planning Long Trip

Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Hey,

I'm going to be studying abroad this summer in Metz, France, and was curious what the average 19-20 yr old university student wears these days in Europe. I don't want to stick out as an American tourist.  Wink

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...I'm not looking to be with the latest and greatest fashions, just want to fit in with the norm.

Thanks! BTW I'm a straight guy.

Twistedwhisper

RE: European Clothing Styles - Planning Long Trip

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Thread starter):
I don't want to stick out as an American tourist.

American tourists are usually not recognised by their clothes, but rather THE VOLUME OF THEIR SPEECH...

Shirt and plain trousers would work... leave the hawaii-shirts at home though, toghether with everything that has the American flag on it. Heck, wear what ever you usually wear...

Also, baseball hats are not AS common here... and Europeans don't wear them to make a statement.

You'll do fine  Smile Enjoy your stay, Metz is a nice place.
Read between the lines.

aloges

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:17 pm

I consider T-shirts to be underwear (on men), and I'll never be caught at uni with shorts.  Wink Together with my dislike for printed shirts and prominent brand logos, that's all.

European universities are highly diverse as far as clothing is concerned, you'll get the law students with their popped collars, white slippers, fake bakes, pink shirts and sunglasses as well as the art & English students pursuing their teaching certifications in knitted scarves, cord trousers and Dr. Martens boots. You'll quickly find a lot of things to pick from if you look at people.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Thom@s

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:21 pm

My policy is "wear what you like, and what feels comfortable, because who cares what other think of what you wear,,,?"

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Kieron747

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 pm

I don't want to stick out as an American tourist.

I don't want to cause offence to anyone, but I see plenty of Americans here in London, and the dead giveaway apart from the (sometimes) loudness is the fact they all seem to wear an opened check shirt with a plain colour T-shirt underneath and jeans.

I rarely see Hawiian shirts! Try jeans, some plain coloured jumpers and some light coloured plain shirts and some pumps, and you can look relatively smart and won't be uncomfortable.

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

FriendlySkies
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 3):
My policy is "wear what you like, and what feels comfortable, because who cares what other think of what you wear,,,?"

I completely agree! I just want to make sure there isn't anything distinctly American I should stay away from (other than the obvious I LOVE AMERICA t-shirt).

Thanks for the advice so far...

nosedive

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:24 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 2):
I consider T-shirts to be underwear (on men), and I'll never be caught at uni with shorts.  

Good thing you're not immigration control.  Silly

Quoting TWISTEDWHISPER (Reply 1):
American tourists are usually not recognised by their clothes, but rather THE VOLUME OF THEIR SPEECH...

checkmark  Hell, at 1st glance people think I'm Swedish.

yooyoo

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:28 pm

This is all the rage with the young folk over there.

I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

LHMark

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:35 pm

I'd pick up one of these. You'll blend right in.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Kieron747

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 7):

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

You could always try Coz's fashion style whilst at university....

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

sebolino

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:45 pm

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...I'm not looking to be with the latest and greatest fashions, just want to fit in with the norm.

Like it was already said, avoid caps, nationalist T-shirts, Coca-Cola Sweat shirts. I would add, don't wear tennis or basket shoes with a suit ... in fact just avoid the suit.

I insist on caps. I know it's common in the states, but very uncommon in France, except for kids in holidays at the beach.

Edit: What the hell are you going to do in Metz ??? Why not an even more uninteresting city while you're at it ?  Smile

[Edited 2007-03-13 15:51:31]

NoUFO

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:53 pm

(Seen in Berlin)
I support the right to arm bears

FriendlySkies
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting Sebolino (Reply 10):
Edit: What the hell are you going to do in Metz ??? Why not an even more uninteresting city while you're at it ?

For some reason unknown to me, my uni here in the states decided to open a satellite campus in Metz. Of all the cities in Europe...

sebolino

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 12):
For some reason unknown to me, my uni here in the states decided to open a satellite campus in Metz. Of all the cities in Europe...

Ok, it's not so serious.

You have Paris at 2h45 by train, and after June it will be at 1h25 by TGV.
Strasbourg is at 1h40, Luxembourg at 50 mins, Frankfurt at 3h20

nosedive

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 11):
(Seen in Berlin)

Why Berlin just flat out kicks ass

rammstein

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting Sebolino (Reply 10):
I insist on caps.

Expecially this version:

Wink
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

N1120A

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:11 am

Quick and dirty.

Wear jeans, not shorts
Wear sneakers or any other closed shoe, not flip-flops
T-shirts are ok, but don't wear things from T-Shirt Hell
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

eric

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:20 am

You can get away with baseball caps, but only once in a while as part of a scruffy look. I'd say the French student body splits (roughly) into two styles:

1. The very laid-back style with scarf, loose trousers, etc...
2. The preppier style; soft-toned clothes - for a guy if you have the body for it, tighter business shirts. Cotton-type V-necks, jeans or cordoy trousers.

It roughly outlines it - best way to figure it out - go there, then go shopping.
n

EWRCabincrew

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting TWISTEDWHISPER (Reply 1):

A lot of other countries denizens are characterised in this manner, too.

White socks and sneakers (trainers/tennis shoes) are a dead give away. Anything USA clothing is another. Oh, no cowboy hats. Ever.

I can spot an American a mile away. Every time (and not based on volume of speech). Clothes for me, are the dead give away.
You can't cure stupid

ME AVN FAN

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:35 am

-
here some photos of young people in Europe, neither a fashion analysis nor representative, just some pictures around on some WEBs

RobertNL070

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:35 am

Footwear: Converse All Stars basketball sneakers are big in Europe this summer. Especially with the young 'uns (< 30 y.o.) and, I've read, especially in France.

Have a gay old time  Wink

Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

metroliner

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:54 am

mate, just go to h&m and spend €200. you'll be FINE.

toni  Smile
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

aloges

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 21):
mate, just go to h&m and spend €200. you'll be FINE.

rotfl  Good one!

SJCRRPAX

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 5):
I completely agree! I just want to make sure there isn't anything distinctly American I should stay away from (other than the obvious I LOVE AMERICA t-shirt).

I've seen quite a few Europeans wearing sweat shirts with the American Flag, Yankee Hats, 49'er jackets etc.Europeans don't seem to be afraid to wear American stuff.

I can usually spot the Europeans in America, and the Americans in Europe. I wouldn't even try to hide the fact that I'm an American. OK, here are the give-aways: Americans at every age group tend to be slightly heavier than Europeans. Fanny packs and backpacks are a dead give away so If you really want to hide the fact that you are an American you need to take a suitcase and stash it in a Hotel. Hauling a sleeping bags around is totally American. Placing Canadian flags on your person or things (I think almost everyone in Europe know that a person with a Canadian flag is an American trying to pretend they are Canadian) The European Men of all ages seem to have better, shorter haircuts. The clothes are different, maybe some of the clothes are the same, but you will never get an entire outfit that doesn't have something that looks American. Europeans will sometimes button a shirt all the way to the top without a tie, Americans never do that. Europeans almost never have a white-t shirt that can be seen under a shirt. Sometimes you can see through a european shirt, and you normally will notice they are either not wearing a t-shirt, or it has no sleeves.

How is that for generalizations? I don't think you can hide the fact that you are American, just like the Europeans on Fishermans wharf can't hide the fact they are from Europe from me. Maybe I am naive, but I have felt no ill will towards myself because I was American. In fact I would say while most Europeans dislike GWB (I actually found some Europeans that liked GWB, so that should be a shocker) they do not dislike Americans if you are polite. So I wouldn't bother trying to hide who I was, just be polite and be yourself. Some of my best times in Europe have been when Europeans talked to me because I was American.

VonRichtofen

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:40 am

I'm going to be studying abroad this summer in Metz, France

Are you a Georgia Tech student by anychance?

Anywho, many Americans do stand out in Europe I'm afraid. They tend to dress sloppy (baggier jeans, runners, loose baggy shirts). Or they go around complaining that things aren't in english, and say "well in the US it's done this way!!"  Yeah sure Thankfully, I think this is more of a minority these days. But it's still out there.

You'll have a hard time finding the stylish clothes you see in Europe anywhere in the US. I suggest you go shopping as soon as you arrive in Europe.

Kris

aloges

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 23):
How is that for generalizations?

Quite good! Together with this

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 24):
You'll have a hard time finding the stylish clothes you see in Europe anywhere in the US. I suggest you go shopping as soon as you arrive in Europe.

quote you both seem to agree that Europeans are, on average, more stylish than Americans. I don't really agree with that as track suits, white fine rib vests and all sorts of sockily abominations are endemic in various parts of my beloved home continent.

In fact I would say while most Europeans dislike GWB (...) they do not dislike Americans if you are polite. So I wouldn't bother trying to hide who I was, just be polite and be yourself.

Correct, no one likes a visitor trying to lecture oneself on how to live one's life, or raving about how much better the visitor's home country is. That's certainly the same in the US.
One thing that's probably a huge difference between the US and Europe is this whole "if you've got it, flaunt it" theme; i.e. we certainly don't mind someone else's financial success but they should always be tactful towards the less fortunate. "Newly rich" certainly is pejorative over here. Also, you'd probably get scolded (minimum) if you told a beggar in a German city that he "deserves" his poverty which, judging from the talking coming from some US a.netters, is acceptable elsewhere.

Some of my best times in Europe have been when Europeans talked to me because I was American.

Ah yes, intercultural exchange! Big grin Good thing, that, if you get past the "duas cervezas grandes" level.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:03 am

(baggier jeans

whenever this of course is a generalisation in a way, I think that Americans tend to have "wider" clothes, while Europeans have rather "tighter" clothing.

NoUFO

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:14 am

If you really want to hide the fact that you are an American you need to take a suitcase and stash it in a Hotel.

A twenty-something with a suitcase?

Hauling a sleeping bags around is totally American.

Is it?

(I think almost everyone in Europe know that a person with a Canadian flag is an American trying to pretend they are Canadian)

Ok, this one I'll sign.

Seriously, I meant it with the picture. Of course I can only speak for the cities I frequently visit, but you'll have a hard time standing out, no matter how your outfit looks like. Heck, I didn't even know that some colours exists as hair dye. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable.

[Edited 2007-03-13 22:16:21]
I support the right to arm bears

SJCRRPAX

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 27):
A twenty-something with a suitcase?

Well, sometimes I forget how old I am. When I see a group of about 50 young people all with backpacks at a train station in Europe, normally they are Americans.

So how about this picture, Americans or Europeans?

Big version: Width: 220 Height: 168 File size: 19kb

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:36 am

Here are two things that can be usedto identify Americans:

I wear this kind of footwear 98% of the time. Leather shoes, even if they're broken-in, hurt my feet. I have a pair of leather dress shoes, but I only wear them with a suit.

I even have a pair of black Reebok Classic Black 116's that I prefer to wear to semi-formal events:

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

aloges

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 28):

I think the skirt should make her a European, an American girl would be wearing shorts. Oh stereotypes! Big grin

SJCRRPAX

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 30):
Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 28):

I think the skirt should make her a European, an American girl would be wearing shorts. Oh stereotypes!

You mean like this
Big version: Width: 200 Height: 285 File size: 17kb

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 26):
I think that Americans tend to have "wider" clothes, while Europeans have rather "tighter" clothing.

And when European wear non-underwear t-shirts, they always seem to tuck them into their trousers, jeans, or shorts.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

aloges

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 31):
You mean like this

Exactly - the space for the Canadian flag on the backpack would of course have to be examined for a final decision! This way, they could be Europeans trying to go unnoticed in the US! Big grin

SJCRRPAX

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 33):
This way, they could be Europeans trying to go unnoticed in the US!

LOL  rotfl 

ME AVN FAN

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 29):
Here are two things that can be usedto identify Americans:

-
THIS here is very widespread among Europeans as well.
-

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 32):
I think that Americans tend to have "wider" clothes, while Europeans have rather "tighter" clothing.
--
And when European wear non-underwear t-shirts, they always seem to tuck them into their trousers, jeans, or shorts.

-
NO, rather to the contrary. If you look up on the pictures I inserted above you can see that the majority did NOT tuck the T-Shirts into their jeans .
-

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:59 am

I like wearing wide T-shirts and sneakers, and I'm European ... though sometimes it happens that I'm told I look like an American.

That's why I keep wearing them  Smile ... besides, wearing collar shirts or leather shoes (like everyone around here lately) just isn't my type of dressing.

Regarding the original question, I can't give you a useful answer. There are quite some differences among different European countries - you can't generalize. And I don't know France well enough.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

aloges

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 35):
THIS here (shoes) is very widespread among Europeans as well.

I don't quite think so, maybe it's a Swiss thing. True sports shoes aren't that widespread, there are more people wearing this sort of shoe

in their daily routine. Those have less foam in them and keep your feet less warm.

IFEMaster

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:14 am

Something with lots of pockets for all your marree-jewwaaaana
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

metroliner

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:22 am

also, if you're going to france, the following are must-have items of clothing:

1 black and white stripy vest
1 pair of mid-calf length cutoff jeans
1 beret, black
1 bicycle
1 baguette, in basket of said bicycle.

add skis, bottles of wine, olives or chestnuts to basket for seasonal flavour.

enjoyez!

Wink

SJCRRPAX

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 39):
also, if you're going to france, the following are must-have items of clothing:

1 beret, black
1 bicycle

add skis, bottles of wine, olives or chestnuts to basket for seasonal flavour

OF Course, and don't forget the Lederhose if you are going to Germany, or the Kilts if you plan any travel to Scotland. And don't forget to practice Yodeling if you go to Switzerland.

IFEMaster

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 39):
1 beret, black
1 bicycle

add skis, bottles of wine, olives or chestnuts to basket for seasonal flavour.

And the reem of garlic around your neck
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

FriendlySkies
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:40 am

Are you a Georgia Tech student by anychance?

As a matter of fact I am.  Wink

Thanks for all the advice (or non-advice), I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm American, just didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb haha.

aloges

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 40):
OF Course, and don't forget the Lederhose if you are going to Germany, or the Kilts if you plan any travel to Scotland. And don't forget to practice Yodeling if you go to Switzerland.

Burberry attire would be the thing to have if you're going to Manchester...

metroliner

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am

dirndls and hunting caps for austria...

ME AVN FAN

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 43):
Burberry attire

and THIS here the one for a visit to the Stock Exchange or to Lloyds of London

Rara

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:08 am

FriendlySkies, I think it's very sensible of you to ask that question. Certainly it's not about hiding that you're from America (that's not possible anyway, and why would you), but it shows an open attitude that's really helpful when going to a foreign country.

When I lived in America, I initially thought that I could get by with continuing my European dressing style. I had to learn the hard way that I couldn't. The kids would simply not accept me unless I dressed like them, and then all was fine.

In Europe, ways to dress are not as codified as they're in America, and, say, at a German high school you'd get a much higher variety of styles than at an American one. But still, there are dos and don'ts, and it's good to know about them.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

waterpolodan

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:45 am

This may be more of a latin american thing as it's very prevalent in Miami, but you might want to get a pair of "racing inspired" shoes, like those pumas that so many people have these days... I actually like them, they're a hell of a lot cooler looking than the average white running shoes all american tourists seem to wear. Also, maybe you'll consider one of the super-trendy hairstyles I noticed in Spain last time I was there... the mullet/rat tail! Believe it or not, I saw tons of these on guys as well as the occasional girl when I was in Barcelona a couple years back...

YWG

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:03 am

Don't forget about huge sunglasses!
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

JRadier

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 48):
Don't forget about huge sunglasses!

=welding glasses
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther