SJCRRPAX
Topic Author

Do You Maintain Stuff?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:06 am

There is a lot of stuff I never maintain, here is my list --- anything else I should be neglecting? My Wife feels neglected too, with all the time I spend on a-net.

1. Water Heater -- I'm suppose to drain off 1 Quart of water every month to remove sediment. Makes the Water heater last longer. I just replace water heater at around 10 years instead of 20?

2. Battery in my car. I think I'm suppose to clean the terminals every couple of months, but I just drive it and every 4 years or so go down to Sears and have them put a new one in for like $70

3. Chain on my garage door opener. It should be lubricated, I think it was once a month. It's 15 years old now, I'll just replace it when it breaks.

4. Emergency Shut off Valves in house. If water fixture breaks I guess I'll just go outside and turn off all the water off. I've been told I should turn those once a month so they don't get stuck if I need to use them.

5. Refrigerator coils -- I clean those once every 5 years, should be monthly.

6. Oil in my car. I go 7,000 miles between oil changes instead of the 3,000 the Jiffy lube place recomends. When car hits 120,000 miles I sell it and leave my poor maintaince problems to an unsuspecting High School Kid.

AeroWesty

RE: Do You Maintain Stuff?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Thread starter):
anything else I should be neglecting?

A urologist told me once, "three times a week is all we ask, alone or with someone else, your choice, keeps the pipes clean." Neglect as you see fit.  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

CaptOveur

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:21 am

1. Water Heater -- I'm suppose to drain off 1 Quart of water every month to remove sediment. Makes the Water heater last longer. I just replace water heater at around 10 years instead of 20?

I never heard this.. wow.. thats actually an easy enough one to do.... honestly water heaters probably should be ripped out and replaced every 5-10 years anyway. The newer models are more efficient than the older ones so its more cost effective to rip the old one out

this would easily take more than an hour considering what is involved in getting to my fridge coils... I am thinking nobody really expects anyone to do some of these maintenance items.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

san747

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:12 pm

6. Oil in my car. I go 7,000 miles between oil changes instead of the 3,000 the Jiffy lube place recomends. When car hits 120,000 miles I sell it and leave my poor maintaince problems to an unsuspecting High School Kid.

I'm just like you... I easily go 6,000+ miles between oil changes.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
A urologist told me once, "three times a week is all we ask, alone or with someone else, your choice, keeps the pipes clean." Neglect as you see fit.

Sounds like good advice! Big grin
Scotty doesn't know...

ShyFlyer

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm trying to maintain my sanity. I think I'm doing fairly well in that regard.

What else?

People are surprised when I tell them I've had my SUV for nearly six years, as it looks brand new, so I suppose I'm doing well maintaining its appearance. Mechanically speaking, I'm on solid ground. I can't remember when the last time I had my tires rotated though.

I haven't been maintaining my currency as far as my flying is concerned. I haven't flown since May of 2006. I intend to return to flying but haven't decided whether to pursue helicopters or stick with fixed wing. Oh woe is me.... Big grin

I haven't been very good at maintaining contact with friends for various reasons.

I have been good at keeping my computer running well. Regular OS and virus scan updates. Delete junk. About every six months I open up the case and blow the dust out.
I lift things up and put them down.

SJCRRPAX
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 4):
What else?

Thanks, You got a couple more for my list of do not maintain,

Tires, I know I should rotate the tires and check air pressure, but I usually just leave'em alone unless the air pressure warning goes off in my car. I guess that's why I only got 40K miles instead of 80K miles on my 80K tires.

Computer --- good idea to dust that out, but I usually let it go till the fan starts going like crazy and the CPU temperature warning message goes off.

I wonder how much money I waste with not maintaining things?

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:28 pm

At Work I maintain those Freighters  Smile

Apart from that I keep a checklist to remind me of the scheduled work at Home.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

NeilYYZ

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:15 pm

What do I maintain?

At work -

1. My Truck
2. My Equipment

At home -

1. My Room
2. My Garage
3. Simple things around the house that I'm qualified to fix
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

jafa39

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:35 pm

Do You Maintain Stuff?

Erections mainly........

I go 7,000 miles between oil changes instead of the 3,000 the Jiffy lube place recomends

Jiffy lube are just after your money, unless its a diesel you can go 10k between changes if its good oil.

I maintain my boat and cars very well but don't look after my fishing tackle, I buy cheap stuff and biff it when it dies, I can get 2-3 years out of a $25NZ reel.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

fxramper

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:46 pm

my teeth - no cavities

my car - oil changes included in service

my bike - brake pads and tires regular

CaptOveur

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:25 pm

can't remember when the last time I had my tires rotated though.

I don't do this either.. Its a pain in the ass to do myself and I hate to pay someone else to do it. I just watch the tire pressures and buy decent tires.. I get pretty good life regardless.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:44 pm

I haven't been very good at maintaining contact with friends for various reasons

Shouldn't that be the easy part  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ShyFlyer

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 11):
Shouldn't that be the easy part

One would think so, but that was why I put in the "various reasons."  Wink
I lift things up and put them down.

YYZflyer

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:23 am

I try to maintain:

My camera- I haven't even had for 3 months and it already has a dust spot on the censor.  irked  I should go into my camera dealer and get it cleaned. Other than that it's fine.

my trumpet- it's supposed to be cleaned every 2 months (I think). I haven't cleaned it in over 2 years. ~January 2005 was the last time.

What I don't maintain:

my room being clean
my organization skills
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

NWOrientDC10

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:49 pm

I have been good at keeping my computer running well. Regular OS and virus scan updates. Delete junk. About every six months I open up the case and blow the dust out.

This is good. I'm glad you mentioned blowing dust from the inside - it needs to be done.

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 13):
What I don't maintain:

my organization skills

checkmark 

I'm also a procrastinator  banghead 

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:15 am

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

disruptivehair

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:17 am

There is a lot of stuff I never maintain, here is my list --- anything else I should be neglecting? My Wife feels neglected too, with all the time I spend on a-net.

2. Battery in my car. I think I'm suppose to clean the terminals every couple of months, but I just drive it and every 4 years or so go down to Sears and have them put a new one in for like $70

3. Chain on my garage door opener. It should be lubricated, I think it was once a month. It's 15 years old now, I'll just replace it when it breaks.

4. Emergency Shut off Valves in house. If water fixture breaks I guess I'll just go outside and turn off all the water off. I've been told I should turn those once a month so they don't get stuck if I need to use them.

I never do any of that stuff. Stuff doesn't break either, or at least hasn't broken yet.

Rara

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
A urologist told me once, "three times a week is all we ask, alone or with someone else, your choice, keeps the pipes clean." Neglect as you see fit. Wink

I can't remember when the last time I had my tires rotated though.

laughing 
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.