ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Media Sucks; Tel Aviv/Beirut Safe And Worth It?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:22 am

Having witnessed first-hand how horrifically the general media sensationalizes, mangles, misrepresents, and distorts the (admittedly existent) violence and overall situation here in New Orleans... I wonder, could the same be true of touristy sections of Israel and Lebanon?

I've always had an interest in visiting Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, several other locales in and near Israel, and Beirut. They have a natural allure that I truly want to experience myself someday.

http://travelers.israel.net/middle-east/image/lebanon24.jpg

From what I've been able to see through my own individual research; as well as hear through the experiences of those who've been there.... the violence is over-exaggerated, and typically confined to regions well-known by locals and often avoided by touirsts.

What say you non-native Westerners who've been there? Was it anywhere near what it's so often depicted to be? Did you ever run into any safety/security concerns and how did you handle them?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

EWRCabincrew

RE: Media Sucks; Tel Aviv/Beirut Safe And Worth It?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:36 am

CB, I go to TLV constantly. Every month. I feel perfectly safe there. I have my fave restaurants, fave hang-outs, go out walking, go touring, you name it.

The people are phenomenal, food fantastic an overall great place. I have a feeling Lebanon and Beirut will provide the same. You should go to either place. Hell, take CO and you may see me.

Don't let CNN (all the news we want you to see) and reports from other media outlets deter you. They are overstated and greatly overplayed, probably for ratings.

Cheers
You can't cure stupid

stlgph

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Thread starter):
Having witnessed first-hand how horrifically the general media sensationalizes, mangles, misrepresents, and distorts the (admittedly existent) violence and overall situation here in New Orleans.

yeah, 9 murders in the first couple weeks of the year is a big distortion.

I wonder, could the same be true of touristy sections of Israel and Lebanon?

i dunno ... something about a ton of firebombings caught on tape speak a 1,000 words
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

aloges

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
Don't let CNN (all the news we want you to see) and reports from other media outlets deter you. They are overstated and greatly overplayed, probably for ratings.

I don't know what news you folks watch, but I haven't heard really bad news from Israel and Lebanon in a long time. The last was that bit about some walkway near the Dome of the Rock, I think. Of course, it is true that bad news sells best so when there is news that I hear, it usually is about some form of violence.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 3):
I don't know what news you folks watch,

It's not all the time. Just when CNN feels necessary to stir things up a bit.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 2):
i dunno ... something about a ton of firebombings caught on tape speak a 1,000 words

That was during the conflict (or whatever it was/is called). Now is fine, it was actually fine in TLV/Jerusalem then, too (just a tad more on edge).
You can't cure stupid

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:48 am

Hell, take CO and you may see me.

*note to self, avoid CO*
Nah, just kidding.  Wink
Considering my lifelong membership in the Order of the Widget, I'll probably take their 772ER nonstop from ATL should I ever go.

Yeah, have become fairly acquainted with how that works, hence my incentive to post this thread... Anderson Cooper manages to do that to us about every 6weeks or so as of late.

yeah, 9 murders in the first couple weeks of the year is a big distortion.

...only for one who shares your difficulty in comprehending a concept so simple as isolated low-income drug crime.
Anyone who'd find themselves on the 3rdWard in the pre-dawn hours (which excludes 99.999% of tourists/visitors/businesspeople, who'd have absolutely no reason to be anywhere near there) is more or less asking for trouble.

Thanks for being impressionable enough to display my case here.

Cadet985

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 am

visiting Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, several other locales in and near Israel

I was in Israel for 10 days, and before I went, I was scared to death. But you know what? Walking around Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and the other cities I visited, I felt safer there then I do when I go into New York. Terrorism is more common there then it is here, but the police and military do the best they can to prevent it from happening. But here in the US, anyone can walk into a shopping mall, and start shooting. Yeah, if there's an off-duty cop, he/she might have their weapon with them. In Israel, I was in one of the largest malls in the country. Before we could go into the mall, we had to go through a metal detector and our bags were inspected, and the mall security there doesn't just carry handcuffs; they carry Uzis!!!

From what I've been able to see through my own individual research; as well as hear through the experiences of those who've been there.... the violence is over-exaggerated, and typically confined to regions well-known by locals and often avoided by tourists.

What say you non-native Westerners who've been there? Was it anywhere near what it's so often depicted to be? Did you ever run into any safety/security concerns and how did you handle them?

I went on an organized trip, and we had a security briefing upon arrival. Pretty much, if you stay near the tourist areas, you will be fine. While I was in Jerusalem, the IDF made some attacks on known terrorist strongholds just inside the West Bank. My father called me all panicky telling me how the news in the US was saying that its a major offensive, and he asked me if I was alright. After talking to our Israeli guide, I found out that we were about 5 miles from where the strikes were going on, and we heard NOTHING!!!

If you have any other questions, you can message me.

Marc

JJJ

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:31 pm

Both Beirut and Tel-Aviv are perfectly safe for the most part. Plus, in the current situation, luxury hotels in Beirut are a steal right now.

Bear in mind you will have plenty of hassle if you enter TLV with a Lebanese visa/stamp in your passport, get a second passport if you plan to do so.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:59 pm

safety/security concerns

-
I in 1994 on an invitation visited Tel Aviv on a mixed business/holiday trip. Hired a car, and also visited Akko in the North, the Red Sea and Eilat. There is NO real security problem. I for many years on the phone discussed such matters with people in Tel Aviv, and always got assured that normal people could proceed normally. Bomb-attacks by some crazies were considered a minor threat in comparison to the heavy street traffic.
-
When being in places like Cairo, Alexandria, Beirut, Damascus etc it was always very much the same. Grave things like the war of last year between Israel and Lebanon are the tragic exceptions of course.
-

soups

Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:59 pm

i am off to beirut on saturday for 4 days.... everytime i am there i feel safe
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:02 pm

a ton of firebombings

where ?
-

airxliban

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Beirut is simply amazing. I can't say enough about how much I love it - and I won't bother because it won't be particularly useful to you. In short I think its worth going to Beirut to experience what a unique place Lebanon really is. From a safety point of view, I wouldn't worry either. Just about the biggest risk you will run there is the risk of being ripped off by merchants.

I don't necessarily think that my thoughts on Tel Aviv are going to be particularly useful next to the words of A.net Israelis, but I have been to Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. I thought that the atmosphere in Tel Aviv was really cool and met some people there who I was quite impressed by. Jerusalem is a must-see place though and not just for the religious significance (which may or may not have any impact on you). However I felt as though the attitudes of some of the people I met in Jerusalem, particularly American Jews who had recently decided to exercise their right of return, were somewhat arrogant and disrespectful. I encountered these people more in Jerusalem than I had in Tel Aviv. At the same time however I ran into a lot of Arabs in Jerusalem who rubbed me the wrong way for the same reasons. I suppose its only natural to find such things in a city whose significance is so strong and so fundamental to so many people.

I guess my bottom line is that if you make it to Israel be sure to check out Jerusalem too. If you go to Lebanon (highly recommended) be sure to let us know so that we can recommend things to do.

By the way, it might not be possible to go to Lebanon and Israel in one trip. I remember at the time that it was possible to get an Israeli visa on a piece of paper separate from the passport. Might want to check it that is still possible.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

PlymSpotter

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:56 pm

I was supposed to be in Beirut a month or so ago, but I fell ill before I got there and had to come back early. I was in Syria at the time, and that felt incredibly safe, but, I was warned several times not to go to Lebanon as trouble was starting again. This did coincide with the general strikes over there, so hopefully things have calmed down, because I would love to make it there soon!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 11):
not be possible to go to Lebanon and Israel in one trip.

it depends on whether you happen to live in a country where you can, either permanently or temporarily, have two passports. You then can do it with a routing ----LCA-BEY-LCA/LCA-TLV-LCA ----- .
-

JJJ

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 13):
it depends on whether you happen to live in a country where you can, either permanently or temporarily, have two passports. You then can do it with a routing ----LCA-BEY-LCA/LCA-TLV-LCA ----- .

What I did was simply asking for a replacement passport (while still keeping the old one, saying you've lost it). Use the old one to enter Arab countries, then the brand new for Israel. I don't know how much a replacement passport costs in your place but here it's quite cheap (17 euros).

ManuCH
Crew

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 14):
What I did was simply asking for a replacement passport (while still keeping the old one, saying you've lost it).

If you use the "lost" passport, you're travelling using an invalid piece of ID - being marked as lost. Most countries allow you to have 2 passports if you explain why. But I would never travel with a passport carrying the serial # of a lost one!
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

EWRCabincrew

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:30 pm

As for the Israeli stamp in the passport, ask for a separate sheet for it. This way you will not get a stamp and have no need for a replacement passport.
You can't cure stupid

stlgph

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 5):
Thanks for being impressionable enough to display my case here.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 10):
where ?

did you both miss CNN last year?

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:01 am

-

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 15):
you to have 2 passports if you explain why. But I would never travel with a passport carrying the serial # of a lost one!

the passport office in Zurich insisted on retaining one of the two. So that JJ's "solution" is the practical one. And I did use 2 different ones for many years, even with VISA things, without problems.
-

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
where ?
--

--

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):
Grave things like the war of last year between Israel and Lebanon are the tragic exceptions of course.

-
I clearly mentioned the "tragic exceptions" in reply-nr.8 ! And that also applied to Haifa. But fortunately rather an exception.
-

EWRCabincrew

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):

STPLGph, that is my point. I was in Israel for a lot of it. Aside from the crowds from the evacuees from the north, it was business as usual. You would never know what was happening.
You can't cure stupid

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 19):
in Israel

Had you been in Haifa, your impressions would have been different. B U T to repeat it, that war-campaign of last year is NOT what was referred to in this thread. The topic here is travelling to these countries in general, in spite of terrorist actions which DID happen. But, and this again as well, the danger to get hit by a traffic accident is the one you have to care about !

EWRCabincrew

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:19 am

I should have said TLV, you are right ME AN FAN.
You can't cure stupid

JJJ

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 18):
the passport office in Zurich insisted on retaining one of the two. So that JJ's "solution" is the practical one. And I did use 2 different ones for many years, even with VISA things, without problems

I know many people who do that. I don't think any country can access another sovereign country passport database looking for this kind of data.

When I had to change my passport to the new format, they simply put the old one on a machine that tore half of the page with the relevant data before giving it back to me. I don't think think they would bother if the passport was automatically marked as 'invalid'.

stlgph

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 19):
STPLGph, that is my point. I was in Israel for a lot of it. Aside from the crowds from the evacuees from the north, it was business as usual. You would never know what was happening.

and it was business as usual for a couple of Starbucks' over in Queens on September 11, 2001.

EWRCabincrew

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 23):
and it was business as usual for a couple of Starbucks' over in Queens on September 11, 2001.

You miss my point. The US isn't used to it, Israel is (no where should be used to it).
You can't cure stupid

stlgph

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 24):
You miss my point. The US isn't used to it, Israel is (no where should be used to it).

and i thought we were talking about out of town tourists?

MEA310

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:20 am

The media is definitely a negative player when it comes to broadcasting the image of one particular country, especially Middle Eastern countries, to the world. A few years back I used to watch CNN for my daily intake of international news but soon was bothered by the nature of the news and the way it is passed on to viewers. Lebanon, and particularly Beirut, are on the news whenever a bombing occurs or when some kind of instability arises. This is absolutely insane. All that CNN did was give Lebanon a negative exposure around the world, which is very different from reality. Beirut is a city that is amazing to visit. The city has so much to offer for all its visitors in a very friendly environment.Whether driving or walking around its streets, you will be amazed by the staggering different scenery around each corner.The famous corniche walk on the Ain El Mraisseh or Rawché area is not to miss. I'm not advertising for Beirut or Lebanon, but it just happens to be where I live and I personally love it. Yes, the Lebanese complain about their country probably more than any other people on earth, but they at the end of the day they realise that they have a unique country.
The bottom line is that Beirut is a safe place to visit, keeping away the potential terrorism risk that is spanning the entire world..

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

aloges

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:31 am

Speaking of TLV, I recently got my hands on a copy of "Bauhaus Tel Aviv" and was really impressed with what I saw, is the Bauhaus history of the city alone worth a visit? If so, I might finally put it on my horizon of upcoming travel.

http://www.white-city.co.il/english/index.htm

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 27):
alone worth a visit?

-
to admit it, when getting there in November 94, I had a rather strange feeling about that visit, but I loved that city within the first few hours. Amazing is that there are quarters of the various "ethnic" groups, like quarters which look like Sana'a, beside that you have a mix of Zurich and Stuttgart, and 50 meters further you are in a suburb of London. A very nice ambiance overall, and quite excellent restaurants. Well, whether they like the comparison or not, the city of Tel Aviv has many similarities with places like Beirut, Athens, Alexandria and Tunis, similarities in lifestyle and ambiance most of all. In short, YES, a visit can be recommended.

TheCol

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:29 am

Israel, especially in cities like Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, is very safe. Most of the West Bank is fairly safe too. Even during the summer conflict, I traveled to and from the West Bank with no difficulty. Of course, I always recommend that first time tourists of the West Bank go with a guide.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

airxliban

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 11):
By the way, it might not be possible to go to Lebanon and Israel in one trip. I remember at the time that it was possible to get an Israeli visa on a piece of paper separate from the passport. Might want to check it that is still possible.

Oops...I meant to say it might be possible, not it might not be possible. The idea was that if you can get an israeli visa on a piece of paper as I mentioned above then you could travel to Lebanon without worry.

Alternatively, can you travel to Israel with stamps from Arab countries on your passport? If so, and you are happy to be interrogated, then you could just go to Lebanon first.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:04 am

k, so since it's agreed that several sites are much safer than typically depicted in media....

....what are some of the areas of both Israel and Lebanon that tourists should NOT be anywhere near? Just curious.

EWRCabincrew

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 31):
....what are some of the areas of both Israel and Lebanon that tourists should NOT be anywhere near?

Depends who you are with (by that, I mean a local as opposed to someone who doesn't know squat). Say if you were alone and went to Gaza, that might not be a great idea. Especially if you didn't know the area.

Common sense should always prevail. No matter where you do. That includes in the US.

For the most part, travel all over Israel is safe. Listen to what others say here and take advice from the US State Department and British/Canadian/Australian (and so on) equivalents as well.

Go! See! Do!. It's a great area to visit. The Middle East is a phenomenal place. Also, ask your crew on the way there. Crew always know where to go, where to shop, where to eat, etc..
You can't cure stupid

ME AVN FAN

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:12 pm

....what are some of the areas of both Israel and Lebanon that tourists should NOT be anywhere near? Just curious.

--
in case of Lebanon, you ought NOT to go to the immediate border-zone towards Israel, as neither the U.N. troops nor the Lebanese army there wish to have tourists around, but all in all no problem at all.
-

Thomson735

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:35 am

the Media are loosers and idiots, we would be better with out them

aloges

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Thomson735 (Reply 34):

I suppose you haven't noticed where exactly it is that political scandals are uncovered?  Wink

NoUFO

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:49 am

I have always wanted to visit both countries, Israel and Lebanon, but I'm afraid I'd scare my not-so-young-anymore father to dead. When I told him that I was considering visiting Israel, he said I could simply commit suicide instead, both would boil dowwn to the same thing. He's a bit pig-headed, and I hate arguing with him for many reasons, but I felt he was actually afraid I could go to Israel, so I dropped the idea. But both countries will remain to be high on my agenda.
I support the right to arm bears

ME AVN FAN

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Quoting Thomson735 (Reply 34):

you generalize. Much of the media reported in quite a balanced way. Many articles in detail always mentioned that life also before, during and after particular incidents went on, that people in wide parts are not affected. You of course have to read decent newspapers and not boulevard-papers, and you have to look INTO the articles and NOT only on the headlines. The job of headline-makers (different from journalists + editors) is to get attention.
-

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 36):
have always wanted to visit both countries, Israel and Lebanon, but I'm afraid I'd scare my not-so-young-anymore father to dead. When I told him that I was considering visiting Israel, he said I could simply commit suicide instead, both would boil dowwn to the same thing. He's a bit pig-headed, and I hate arguing with him for many reasons, but I felt he was actually afraid I could go to Israel, so I dropped the idea. But both countries will remain to be high on my agenda.

I in 2004 took my (then) 86years old mother with me to Beirut and she enjoyed the stay there tremendously. You simply should tell your father that were to go at that date and that he might consider .... . WHAT does he like ? Think THIS over and then check what Lebanon / Israel have to offer in HIS line.

cairo

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:42 pm

I go to Israel and Lebanon about every 2 weeks or so. Of coarse the threats or fears inspired by the media are well overblown.

Both have amazing historical-arachealogical sites. If you are religious, or just interested in religion, Jerusalem is obviously essential. There are numerous ancient Roman sites around as well, especially old ports on the ocean.

As for the media reports: they are mostly accurate for what they show, but they show only bad things, as we know - they don't spend their time covering the 90% of the area and events that are good.

If you want to avoid terrorism or getting involved in the Israeli-Palestinian/Israeli-Hezbollah/Israeli-Lebanon conflicts, you can avoid obvious terrorist targets and obvious Israeli military targets. I, personally, do not take public transportation in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem or really anywhere in Israel.

Cabs are good and reasonably priced. Israeli government offices, a big shopping mall, and large meeting places (big hotels, sporting events, concerts, etc...) are all potential targets, but I wouldn't necessarily avoid them entirely if I had a need or desire to be there - just be alert.

Gaza and southern Lebanon are probably too much for the casual tourist - but visiting the Palestinian territories is essential for understanding the middle east conflict. You'll need to talk to both Israelis and Palestinians if you are interested in politics, and there are plenty of Arabs and Arab neighborhoods in Israel that are interesting to visit.

Beirut is almost entirely safe for the tourist, assuming Israel doesn't start another defensive war while you're there. Unfriendlies can be found in Lebanon, if you go looking for them, but why would you? The cab drivers and tour companies keep you well clear of any place that might be hostile to Americans.

Overall, to me, the seashore is especially interesting and a bit overlooked by the tourist, and fascinating ancient ruins abound in places like Caesarea and Baalbek that have nothing to do with politics.

Cairo