jetjack74

Jury Recommends Death For Child-killer

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:08 am

Jury Recommends John Couey be Executed for Murder of 9-Year-Old Jessica Lunsford
Wednesday, March 14, 2007

By Liza Porteus

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION Story tools
sponsored by

AP

John Couey in court during his sentencing hearing for the rape and murder of Jessica Lunsford.
A jury took just over an hour Wednesday to decide that John Evander Couey should be executed for the kidnapping, rape and murder of 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford.

The jury, on a 10-2 vote, brushed aside pleas for mercy and a life sentence from defense lawyers based on claims that Couey, 48, is mentally retarded and suffers from chronic mental illness.

The final decision on Couey's fate will be made in several weeks by Circuit Judge Richard Howard, who is not bound by the jury's recommendation but is required to give it "great weight."

Hopefully, the judge will carry out this judgement. Jessica Lundsford never had a chance.
Made from jets!

EWRCabincrew

RE: Jury Recommends Death For Child-killer

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 am

Mercy? My ass. Chronic mental illness? Was he supervised? Apparently not, he killed a child. He deserves to die. Sound harsh? Stiff bikkies. Jessica isn't here to enjoy life, why should he be (and spare me the "he won't/doesn't enjoy life rhetoric, please)?
You can't cure stupid

Thom@s

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:19 am

Let him rot in a sound proof, pitch black, small room for the rest of his miserable life. It'll show him there are worse things to fear than death...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

PLANAR

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 2):
Let him rot in a sound proof, pitch black, small room for the rest of his miserable life. It'll show him there are worse things to fear than death...

checkmark 
IF he is indeed the killer and guilty - just don't provide him with an easy death!
Provide him an experience worse than death, such that he begs for death but doesn't get it...
Flim-Flam Balderdash...

jetjack74

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:00 am

I'm sure there's quite a few jail-birds who would love to make him one of their girlfriends.
Made from jets!

Queso

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:22 am

I'll volunteer. And won't lose a wink of sleep.

NeilYYZ

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:03 am

I'll throw the switch on 'Ol Sparky myself.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

aloges

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 6):
I'll throw the switch on 'Ol Sparky myself.

Oh you are so tough...  sarcastic 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:37 am

It'll show him there are worse things to fear than death...

Like the fact that he'll now be rotting in hell 30 to 40 years sooner.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

NeilYYZ

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 7):
Oh you are so tough...

Oh your sarcasm is just so good.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

bagpiper

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:43 am

Oh you are so tough...

Dude... they're just saying they want him dead! Lighten up?

So do I... he killed a little girl.

DL787932ER

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:55 am

It's unfortunate that he'll live longer on death row during his appeals process than Jessica lived in her entire life. It's also too bad that he'll go out through a lethal injection as opposed to the brutal, horrific, sickening way he murdered her. But all in all this is as close to justice as our current legal system allows. Wonder what was on the minds of the two nutjobs on the jury who voted against?
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

CastleIsland

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 10):
So do I... he killed a little girl

Killing is wrong.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

ANCFlyer

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):

checkmark 

Count me in.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

kevi747

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:16 am

I really think death is too easy an escape for monsters like this. I'm sure we could think of something less "knee-jerk" that would be a much more horrible for the people who do such things.

Quoting PLANAR (Reply 3):
IF he is indeed the killer and guilty - just don't provide him with an easy death!
Provide him an experience worse than death, such that he begs for death but doesn't get it...

Exactly! I like the locked in a dark cell for decades idea myself.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

CastleIsland

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 8):

Explain what Hell is please. Tell me what you know about it. I'm waiting.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

CastleIsland

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:36 am

I can't help but think that those who advocate killing this man are motivated by money. Any of you who claim to be religious should be down right ashamed of yourselves. Those motivated by money should just think. I know that his crime was heinous. Killing is wrong.

As Ghandi said: "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."

MaidensGator

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:37 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 16):
I can't help but think that those who advocate killing this man are motivated by money.

Money???? Care to elaborate???
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

bagpiper

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:37 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 15):

Invitation to him? Or to everybody?

GQfluffy

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 12):
Killing is wrong.

Yes, killing is wrong. So this man is getting punished for it. Better yet, he raped her. IMNSHO he deserves to be castrated with a coke bottle in his cell an hour before they process him. He gets no sympathy from me. None.
This isn't where I parked my car...

DL787932ER

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting Kevi747 (Reply 14):
I really think death is too easy an escape for monsters like this.

checkmark 

He deserves a brutal, painful death, like the one he provided his victim. But we do the best we can, and because we're merciful we let him file innumerable appeals to delay his sentence, and when the time comes we lay him down and knock him out peacefully.

I can't help but think that those who advocate killing this man are motivated by money.

confused  Whiskey tango foxtrot are you talking about?? Could you explain 1) who gets money when this scum meets his just fate and 2) why that would be more of a motivation than justice for a 9 year old girl who was kidnapped, repeatedly raped, and buried alive?
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

CastleIsland

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 17):
Money???? Care to elaborate???

The perception that the death penalty costs the general public less than a lifetime internment. Common parlance is that appeals and some such cost more than a lifetime in prison. I'm all for streamlining the process, but I will never advocate the killing of another human being. I'm happy to pay for them to rot in prison. Never will I play God. Feel free to do so, but know that the ice is thin.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 18):
Invitation to him? Or to everybody?

Frankly, I don't understand your post . Lemme know what you mean another way, and I'll respond.

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 19):
Yes, killing is wrong. So this man is getting punished for it. Better yet, he raped her. IMNSHO he deserves to be castrated with a coke bottle in his cell an hour before they process him. He gets no sympathy from me. None.

I'd be fine with him getting his just desserts in prison. I just cannot advocate killing anyone. It's not my place to do so.

ConcordeBoy

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:11 pm

Good riddance to bad rubbish... I'm just surprised that those living with him got off so easily in this.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

bagpiper

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:35 pm

motivated by money

the heck?? I'll third or fourth it or whatever... care to elaborate?

Yeah I don't really trust Ghandi. You know how much he spent in order to live in poverty? How much money he cost others in order for him to be the humble poor.... ok I'll hold my tongue.... person he appeared to be?

Sure, he might have looked good... but IMO he was all smoke and mirrors.

However, I do respect your opinion.

bagpiper

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:37 pm

sorry ignore the above post by me.... our DSL service is going up and down (which sucks big time - I have a server with clients on it), so it got posted late.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 21):
Frankly, I don't understand your post . Lemme know what you mean another way, and I'll respond.

Were you wanting him to respond? Or was the invitation for a description of hell to everybody?

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:05 pm

Yea, but I don't exactly want only the murderers and heinous criminals being able to see.

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 23):

He's refering to the cost of the execution versus cost of keeping a prisoner in a cell for life.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 15):

Being at the Democratic National Convention with Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Michael Moore, and Hillary Clinton as the speakers, or being stuck in the middle seat between two Boston Red Sox fans on a 19 hour flight.  wink 

I'm not going to try to explain it because I know I really can't, and I don't think anyone can. There are many theories. Some people invision burning flames and sulfer. Then there's Dante's Inferno and the 9 Circles of Hell. I just know it's not exactly where I want to end up, okay?

Thom@s

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Yeah, but why can't we let him suffer here for a while first? He'll have plenty of time to go to hell, it's not like they are closing down any time soon...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Mir

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:19 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
I'm not going to try to explain it because I know I really can't, and I don't think anyone can.

If nobody can explain what hell is, why do people say things like this:

which appear to attempt to do just that?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Queso

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Oh you are so tough.

I'm not saying that. I am saying that some people have a hard time dealing with it afterwards but my way of thinking would still allow me to have a clear conscience if I was the one who started the drip, flipped the switch, or pulled the trigger on behalf of "the people".

The perception that the death penalty costs the general public less than a lifetime internment. Common parlance is that appeals and some such cost more than a lifetime in prison. I'm all for streamlining the process, but I will never advocate the killing of another human being. I'm happy to pay for them to rot in prison. Never will I play God. Feel free to do so, but know that the ice is thin.

For my own part, I would do it for free as a service to "the people" if it was the decision of the majority. Much as others volunteer to clean up the trash on the side of the highway, I look at it as helping to clean up the trash in the prisons. Believe me, more than you know, I do respect your opinion though and I know where you are coming from, we just see it differently.

As for savings to taxpayers, we touched on this discussion a few days ago and I'm not sure you saw my reply because you didn't respond to it after I posted in Somebody Warm Up Florida's Electric Chair..... (by Tom in NO Mar 8 2007 in Non Aviation) (Reply45). Money is not my primary reason for supporting the death penalty, but it is still a good reason.

When a person commits an agregious crime against a civilized society's people, it is that society's responsibility to deal with it. If it is a free soceity, that freedom comes with the responsibility of living by the rules that have been established and agreed upon. When one acts outside the boundary of those rules, they forfeit their right to be free. If the act is heinous enough, they forfeit their right to continue to live, usually because they denied another the right to continue to live.

rammstein

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87:

You are talking about Christians' version of hell, right?

Someone said:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say into you, That ye resist not evil . . . .love your enemies, bless them that curse you (Matthew 5:38-39, 44)."

I wonder if also the hangman will go to hell.

Edit: spelling

[Edited 2007-03-15 13:49:39]
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

fumanchewd

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 4):
I'm sure there's quite a few jail-birds who would love to make him one of their girlfriends.

Nah. Its called PC. Protective Custody. He would spend 23.5 hours locked up by himself and the other .5 is in the yard by himself. After Jeffery Dalmer, they really watch what happens to these guys.

Any of you who claim to be religious should be down right ashamed of yourselves.

That may be true relative to Christianity. Buddhism would let him live only because he is alive. Judaism and Islam can find reasons for the death. I agree that the nature of christianity is one of penitence and that a true christian would want him to live and repent. However, this kind of thing understandibly makes people angry and revenge is the order of the day. I don't think they will ever be ashamed though.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

767Lover

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:44 pm

Quoting Kevi747 (Reply 14):
I really think death is too easy an escape for monsters like this. I'm sure we could think of something less "knee-jerk" that would be a much more horrible for the people who do such things.

The problem is that human rights conventions prevent us from treating prisoners horribly.

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 20):
and when the time comes we lay him down and knock him out peacefully.

And a last meal of their favorite foods!

I do not lose sleep when convicted criminals (beyond doubt) are executed, and my feelings have absolutely zero to do with religion or money (well, sort of money, but not because of a perceived cost savings with execution.)

Why do I feel this way? I guess the best way to explain it is that-- in my opinion--if you take an innocent life, you forfeit your right to a life. I also have a problem with people who kill getting a publicly funded warm bed, 3 meals, access to books and regular exercise when so many law abiding, hard working people struggle daily to get those things or find tthe time to sleep/exercise/read.

I also still believe that it is hypocritical to be okay with abortion and not okay with execution. You may not believe a fetus is a person, but aborting a fetus is curtailing what would (most likely be) be a life. A life in progress, if you will.

Just my opinion.

TedTAce

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
Hopefully, the judge will carry out this judgement.

There is no doubt the presiding judge will issue a death sentence, however, the problem is that there is a precedent whereby a mentally challenged individual ducked the death sentence, and he was more intelligent then Couey.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 30):
After Jeffery Dalmer, they really watch what happens to these guys.

This is one of those cases where life in prison is the appropriate sentence. Let GP take his ass out.
This space intentionally left blank

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:45 pm

The Accused needs to suffer for the crime.Slowly & Long.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ltbewr

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:43 pm

Did anybody expect the jury to not recommend the death penalty in this case? The age and innocence of the victim, the apparent horrible last days of her life, that it was a stranger to her that did it, the media attention to it, the debatable questions raised about the murderer's mental fitness, are all factors that could only lead to a death penalty approval.
That a judge has the final say as to the application is important, as it can act as a 'circuit breaker' in highly publicized and disturbing cases like this to offset the emotions of a jury. If the judge decides on the death penalty, then many years of jail and appeal costs will ensue, if he decided on life without parole, then the Defendant immediately starts their long sentence in tough conditions (although he may still pursue an appeal, but a less intense and costly one). With either decision, it will cost the State of Florida possibly over $1 million for the rest of this jerks life.

Pope

Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:51 pm

I absolutely hate this animal. I almost hope that he doesn't get the death penalty and he's thrown into the general prison population instead of the single cell lockup of death row. This POS wouldn't last a week. Child molesters, don't do well in prison. Someone as twisted as Couey should do worse then average.

Let's see how he likes being under someone else's total control. I imagine that the prison guards would have no problem to find something else that demanded their attention when Couey is introduced to his cell mates.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

beefstew25

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 35):
I absolutely hate this animal. I almost hope that he doesn't get the death penalty and he's thrown into the general prison population instead of the single cell lockup of death row. This POS wouldn't last a week. Child molesters, don't do well in prison. Someone as twisted as Couey should do worse then average.

Let's see how he likes being under someone else's total control. I imagine that the prison guards would have no problem to find something else that demanded their attention when Couey is introduced to his cell mates.

And give his cellmate time off for good behavior. Dude should be in the corner begging for mommy. You guys know that POS buried Jessica alive, right?
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

Pope

Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 36):
You guys know that POS buried Jessica alive, right?

More than that, the little girl was found hugging her teddy bear.

I live about 30 miles from where this happened. I have a young daughter. When I first heard the details of this crime I was in the car and had to literally pull over because I got sick. To this day I have to change the radio station when updates about the case come on.

There is nothing that is too cruel for this animal.

I am a person who believes in God and the God I believe in is a merciful one. But I cannot imagine that the fires of hell are hot enough to punish what this animal did to this little girl. As I've said before, I know that I'm being hypocritical on this one but it's just to close to home, both literally and figuratively.

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 36):
And give his cellmate time off for good behavior.

checkmark 

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 27):
If nobody can explain what hell is, why do people say things like this:

which appear to attempt to do just that?

No it doesn't. It's kind of like saying I don't know what I'll personally experience going through a plane crash, but I have no desire to find out, as it's not something I really ever want to experience because I just know it's bad. Sure, the difference is that there are people who have experienced plane crashes, and some have lived to tell, but the overall point remains.

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 26):
Yeah, but why can't we let him suffer here for a while first? He'll have plenty of time to go to hell, it's not like they are closing down any time soon...

Just what exactly will he be "suffering" from. If this guy were to get life in prison, the treatment he would get would be far better than what he deserved. And if he did get the style of treatment he deserved, we'd hear people complaining about how badly he's being treated.

beefstew25

Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 37):
More than that, the little girl was found hugging her teddy bear.

Gawd damn it. What a fuggin waste.
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

Thom@s

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 38):
Just what exactly will he be "suffering" from.

I was referring to my suggestion of punishment

Let him rot in a sound proof, pitch black, small room for the rest of his miserable life.

He'd be suffering if he got sentenced to something like that.

Thom@s

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 40):
I was referring to my suggestion of punishment

I read all of yours. Try reading all of mine:

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 38):
If this guy were to get life in prison, the treatment he would get would be far better than what he deserved. And if he did get the style of treatment he deserved, we'd hear people complaining about how badly he's being treated.

Thom@s

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 41):

He'd be suffering if he got sentenced to something like that.

if

if

Thom@s

allstarflyer

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:55 pm

The jury, on a 10-2 vote, brushed aside pleas for mercy and a life sentence from defense lawyers based on claims that Couey, 48, is mentally retarded and suffers from chronic mental illness.

Good for the jury. Boo hoo for him.  sarcastic 

Hopefully, the judge will carry out this judgement. Jessica Lundsford never had a chance.

checkmark 

Let him rot in a sound proof, pitch black, small room for the rest of his miserable life.

Too merciful.

Oh you are so tough...

Dude... they're just saying they want him dead! Lighten up?

So do I... he killed a little girl.

checkmark 

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 12):
So do I... he killed a little girl

Killing is wrong.

Not in all forms. If someone busts into my house to steal/rape/plunder and he gets killed for it, that's not wrong. If some nation invades ours and we kill them, that's not wrong. It's the same for the state - justice for the criminal's act against the blood of the victim.

Any of you who claim to be religious should be down right ashamed of yourselves.

I'm not, not in the least.

He's refering to the cost of the execution versus cost of keeping a prisoner in a cell for life.

It wouldn't cost much to get a rope and few blades.

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 29):

You are talking about Christians' version of hell, right?

Someone said:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say into you, That ye resist not evil . . . .love your enemies, bless them that curse you (Matthew 5:38-39, 44)."

He also said "Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones" (Matthew 18:10). Sounds despicable against Jessica to give anything but a death sentence to her killer.

-R
Living the American Dream

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 42):

Okay? What point are you trying to make? I'm not saying you would be the one complaining. I'm saying there are those who would. And if the guy is still alive, the government can intervene and end his suffering and give him the 5-star treatment the bleeding-hearts would demand. But if the guy is executed, all their complaints are in vain.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 43):

It wouldn't cost much to get a rope and few blades.

Which is the point I always make. Bullets are pretty cheap too.
I was only trying to clear up the structure and wording of Bagpipers question so others could respond.

Charger

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):

ME too. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Especially for a POS like him.

I am very religious, and have no problem with this. I am not ashamed at all.

The perception that the death penalty costs the general public less than a lifetime internment.

Yeah, we all get it. The death penalty is more expensive than life in prison. So what. This guy doesn't deserve to be alive when his 7 year old victim was raped and buried alive.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 32):
There is no doubt the presiding judge will issue a death sentence,

I sure hope so.

Quoting Pope (Reply 37):
There is nothing that is too cruel for this animal.

I agree 100%.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 43):
Not in all forms. If someone busts into my house to steal/rape/plunder and he gets killed for it, that's not wrong.

If someone bursts into my house to rape/plunder/steal, I gaurantee you the cops would find him with a bullet between his eyes.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:04 am

How come those opposed to the death penalty will bring up the "aren't you religious" argument in threads about the death penalty, but in threads about abortion, those same people will tell us to "keep religion out of this"?

I'm not saying you CastleIsland specifically do this nor am I speculating on your stance on abortion. I am asking this as a general question for all, as I know that often those oppose to the death penalty still support abortion.

Pope

Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:28 pm

I am religious and, as I posted in another thread on this topic, I am ashamed of my visceral hatred for this animal. Hypocritical? Yes. But I recognize that I too am a sinner.

It is precisely for these reasons that the justice system would screen me out as a juror in this sort of matter.

I have a young daughter and live 30 miles from where this took place. I'm sorry but this just hits too close to home.