lincoln

How Should A Sport Coat Fit?

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:28 am

Hi All,

I realize asking for and advice let alone fashion advice from A.net can be somewhat risky, but anyway...

I have a jacket that I purchased not too long ago for a friend's wedding... it was kind of a panicked purchase so I just bought off the rack from my normal clothing emporium (Express). I've had two lay people tell me that it looks too large, and have since had four clothing professionals (including two tailors) tell me that they wouldn't touch it and that it was a very "flatering" and "classic" fit.

I still personally feel that it is a touch large, but since tailors make money off of making alterations, presumably it is not in their best interest to tell me not to do anything if they were going to lie.

So I ask A.net -- how should a sport coat fit?

To complicate this question, I am quite litterally a boney stick -- right around 6'1", but only 130##.

Here's a picture of me in said jacket:
Me

Lincoln

[Edited 2007-03-17 20:29:03]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

WestJetYQQ

RE: How Should A Sport Coat Fit?

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:47 am

I'd Say to listen to what the professionals tell you. I have found from personal experiences that family does not know fashion. :P

I will though, ask the banned Speedbird747BA for his advice and pass it on for you the next time I talk to him. He is excellent at this!

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

MCOflyer

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:50 am

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 1):
I will though, ask the banned Speedbird747BA for his advice and pass it on for you the next time I talk to him. He is excellent at this!

I agree. Ask him. But it appears you could go 1 size down.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

mika

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:53 am

It's too large, a smaller size of the same jacket would bring out your definitions much better i'm sure.

Try getting a smaller size next time!

AsstChiefMark

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:00 am

Here's properly-fitting coats.

[Edited 2007-03-17 21:01:57]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Queso

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 2):
But it appears you could go 1 size down.

Keep the jacket though. As you get older you'll "fill out" and at some point it will probably be just right. Of course, by that time it might be out of style.

mika

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 5):
Of course, by that time it might be out of style.

I doubt it will be out of style, a classical sport coat is pretty much timeless.

lincoln

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 1):
I'd Say to listen to what the professionals tell you. I have found from personal experiences that family does not know fashion. :P

Yeah...part of me wants to listen to my family's comments--- the other part remembers how they dress  duck 

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile