ANother
Topic Author

Brazil Hotel - Question. Is This A Scam?

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:27 pm

I recently sent an e-mail to a Rio hotel seeking a booking for two nights. I am attending a seminar arranged by another organisation and I simply filled out their form. I attached the form to my e-mail, as instructed.

The hotel responded saying they would only guarantee my booking if I faxed them a copy of my credit card (front and back) and my signature.

I am very reluctant to comply, for obvious reasons. Is this a scam or is this SOP for Brazilian hotels.

Appreciate any insight before I respond.

Thanks

DLPMMM

RE: Brazil Hotel - Question. Is This A Scam?

Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:58 am

It is actually pretty standard for Brasil. It is to make sure that you have not merely gotten a CC number surreptitiously. I have had to do this in buying airline tickets from TAM over the telephone in Miami. I also had to do the same for a hotel in Rio last year. I would just verify that the Fax number is the same as is listed for the hotel on the internet.

Have a good time in Brasil, it is a wonderful country. I have been going there 1 or 2 times per year for the last 5 years.

sw733

Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:11 am

Yeah this sounds legit to me...I've had to do it in a couple of places...not Brazil, but I have only been there once, and stayed at a Hilton in both Rio and Sao Paulo...I have had to do it in South Africa, and I forget where else.

AA787823

Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:24 am

I travel to Brazil a few times a year and NEVER had to do this. I use the booking engine www.hotelsbrazil.com
they never ask. I would not do it. I got burned on one trip to Brazil when someone stole my credit card number.
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

Jj

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:36 am

I had to do it two or three times when staying in Brazil... never had a problem!

ANother
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:00 pm

I checked with VISA - and they said don't do it! Apparently name and cc number should be sufficient for any business, particularly 5 weeks in advance, to do all the checks that are necessary.

I told the hotel what Visa said and they replied - no problem, your reservation is confirmed.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 5):
name and cc number should be sufficient for any business, particularly 5 weeks in advance

Yes and no. Our agency has had to do it for hotels and agencies in South Africa and Brazil once in a while. I even had to fax it to Malaysian Airlines in London this week as the client wouldn't of course we travelling with our agency credit card, and Malaysian wanted to see it. It is something that I strongly dislike doing, and where possible we do bank transfers (although these can cost more.) Regardless of what Visa says, it may be company policy. I have asked clients to do it before I have issued air tickets too. As any business does, we want to avoid chargebacks and cc disputes later on.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

ANother
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 6):
Yes and no.

Yes, but let's face it - this is a booking at a hotel. When I arrive, I'll have to give them my cc and they can then block the value of my anticipated stay. Knowing Brazil - I'll have to show them my passport on check-in as well.

Not much chance they will be scammed.

And let's face it, I'm the customer - if they don't want my business, all they have to do is say so. I can stay in the hotel across the street.

BigOrange

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:43 am

It's pretty standard practice.

Even in the US some hotels make you do that, especially if the credit card is in a different name to the name on the reservation and they want to pre-pay the hotel.

TACAA320

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting ANother (Thread starter):
I recently sent an e-mail to a Rio hotel seeking a booking for two nights. I am attending a seminar arranged by another organisation and I simply filled out their form. I attached the form to my e-mail, as instructed.

I a few words, don't do it!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein