BowflexBrennan
Topic Author

Getting A Motorcycle

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:52 am

I am just about to get my motorcycle licence, and I am enrolled in a rider's safety/learner course. I intend to buy a bike within a month or so, and that's where I would appreciate some help. I'm looking for something lower powered, 500cc's at the max, nothing really big and bulky, something easier to handle, just a nice learners bike. My budget is at the most $5,000 cdn. Idealy I would like a sport/racing bike, but due to their price, my inexperience, and the cost of insurance, I can't see that happening for a number of years. I like some of the cruisers and standard bikes, even some of the classics, especially some of the new Triumphs.

So basically, I'd like a nice learners bike, that isn't going to break the bank, is going to be low or relativley low on insurance, and is somewhat asthetically pleasing.

itsjustme

RE: Getting A Motorcycle

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:16 am

Take a look at a Honda Shadow Spirit. Only thing is, the smallest engine they make is 750 but if you're anything like I was when I bought my first bike way back when (Honda 400) it won't be long before you'll be longing for something with more power. The Spirit has a slightly larger seat than usual and the pegs are slightly forward rather than straight down like other bikes so that your legs are slightly extended while riding. It makes for a nice, comfortable ride. I have the 1100 (1999). Of the 6 bikes I've owned, this one is by far the best. I added a windshield (a must for long trips), a back rest, and some removable bags. It's my primary mode of transportation (mainly due to it's excellent gas mileage and being able to use the carpool lanes).

Also, you might be able to save some $$$ if you buy a model that is a year older (like buying an 06 model rather than an 07). Not a used bike, just one that didn't sell last year that the dealer still has. Good luck and ride safely.

AC320

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:25 am

I have a Shadow 750. Fantastic bike for the first time rider: You have the engine size to keep up with road and highway traffic while carrying a passenger or bags, and its relatively lightweight which will help as you get used to handling and make dropping it (you will) a more forgiving mistake. It's my only vehicle and let me say it's the best way to get around. I have bags that hold a full order of groceries, and I did my first road trip this past Christmas: 300 miles down to Miami and back.

Get good quality clothing with weatherproofing: You'll need it.

I bought a brand-new previous year model from the dealer who cut me a good deal. Go for that if you can find one.

The Shadow VLX has a 580cc engine, and is about $5,700USD new. That might be a good option to go.
fuddle duddle

AirCop

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:27 am

Quoting BowflexBrennan (Thread starter):
my inexperience,

Motorcycle riders come in two categories, those that have been down and those that will go down. Itsjustme advice is very sound, I don't know if I would start with a 400, in this day and age more power would be helpful. (In Ontario, good bike riding weather 2 months a year  mischievous  ). Pay attention in class, drive carefully..

mham001

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 am

Oh bullsh*t on the big bikes to start. You know, this big cc thing is ridiculous. I own bikes from 100-1200cc. Reality is, you can do just fine with 250 in most every situation besides long distance cruising and even then, many still do it.

Brennan, the ultimate beginners bike is a Kawasaki EX250 Ninja. It is in the sport bike configuration that you desire, enough torque to zip you around in city riding, just enough top end for short highway stints, but not enough power to get you in serious trouble.

By learning to ride on a smaller bike, you will learn skills instead of depending on the throttle. You will become a better rider and you will learn how to brake and use your throttle properly. The bikes are cheap, they are proven reliable, the model has been around for many years, parts are plentiful, and they are nimble and FUN. Did I mention 70mpg? They can be had all day long for $1500-2000US used or $3000US new. If you do outgrow it, you won't lose anything on a used bike, they hold their value very well. There is also a 500cc model.

Kawasaki did introduce an upgraded model of that bike in Canada about two years ago that looks very desirable. I'm not sure what they call them there, but here is everything you need to know about the venerable Ninja 250. http://ninja250.kingston.net/board/

I've been riding 30+ years and have had many bikes of all sizes but in the end, I ended up gravitating to the smaller bikes. They are simply more practical and more fun.

ShyFlyer

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:46 am

For what its worth, I started out riding a 50cc two stroke scooter (I had no previous two-wheel experice save for my mountain bike). Roughly 2600 miles later, it still runs good. Top speed in good conditions (zero wind, level ground) was about 40mph. Not a long distance machine by any stretch of the imagination, but perfect for local riding in my area.

But after two years, I wanted more power. I purchased a 250cc 4-stroke scoot several months ago for $5200 brand new. Even though it was significantly more powerful than my previous ride, I quickly adapted to it, which says more about the bike's engineering than my abilities as a rider. The only non-scheduled maintenance I've had on this bike was a tire repair due to a nail. I've had it up to 70 mph and found it very stable, but I prefer cruising at 55mph. Not sure if I'd recommend something like this for a first time rider though, but it is doable.

My current ride: Kymco XCiting 250:

The mirrors on mine differ from the picture, though it is the same color.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably be looking at a new/used scoot in the 125cc range.
I lift things up and put them down.

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 4):
but not enough power to get you in serious trouble.

Careful with what you say here. Lots of people die every year on bikes and mopeds, so you can certainly get in trouble without lots of power.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MCOflyer

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 6):
Lots of people die every year on bikes and mopeds, so you can certainly get in trouble without lots of power.

We just had a guy die from crashing into a car.

Be careful and start with a bike that has less power. Mham001 has a good suggestion.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

lowrider

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:04 pm

I think the suzuki GS500 is a good starter bike. Yes it is a 500, but the power output is only about 35hp. They are cheap to buy and insure, get good mileage, have good handling, and are light enough to be picked up by one person when you drop it. You can get a decent used one for $1000USD. I agree that you don't want to start out on too big a bike, but you want something that is enough to be interesting. I think the Ninja 250/500 also fit this bill. If you can find a Honda CB550, that is another good one to start out with. Above all else, get good gear. Not only a helmet, but gloves, jacket, boots, the works.
Proud OOTSK member

CO7e7

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:44 pm

I'm looking for something lower powered, 500cc's at the max, nothing really big and bulky

just a nice learners bike. My budget is at the most $5,000 cdn

Idealy I would like a sport/racing bike,

Here ya go brother: Suzuki GS500F

Check out the Suzuki Website: http://www.suzukicycles.com/products/GS500FK7/Default.aspx

This bike is $5149 Brand new. You can buy a used 2005 GS500F for around $4G

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I'm a biker myself. I ride an 06 GSXR 600

Good Luck and be safe

Zaki

andz

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:56 am

I have the ultimate beginners' bike that can still satisfy you when you have a couple of years experience. Yamaha FZ6 Fazer is a fabulous bike to ride as it performs, handles, gives good fuel economy and after 3 years I still have a big grin every time I ride it. The only problem might be the price... it is $ 9,299 Canadian.

And don't take any notice of those who say a big bike is dangerous, a 125 will get you killed if you ride it irresponsibly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/andzz/fazer.jpg

Oh and one more thing.... buy a Shoei helmet and Dainese leathers.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 10):
And don't take any notice of those who say a big bike is dangerous, a 125 will get you killed if you ride it irresponsibly

Exactly. Most motorcycle deaths are car vs motorcycle and then it doesn't matter how big of an engine you have. The car is just as hard when you hit it.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

andz

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 11):
Most motorcycle deaths are car vs motorcycle and then it doesn't matter how big of an engine you have. The car is just as hard when you hit it.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. It is the disconnect between brain and right wrist that makes a powerful bike dangerous.

lowrider

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 10):
And don't take any notice of those who say a big bike is dangerous, a 125 will get you killed if you ride it irresponsibly.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 11):
Exactly. Most motorcycle deaths are car vs motorcycle and then it doesn't matter how big of an engine you have. The car is just as hard when you hit it.

I think these statements are somewhat reckless. I can draw a direct corelation between motorcycle deaths and speed at impact. Larger engines tend to encourage higher speeds. Higher speeds take a higher level of skill to manage successfully. A new rider probably has not developed these skills. There is a reason most insurance companies won't write a policy for a new rider on a GSXR 1000, but would write one on a GS500.
Proud OOTSK member

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 13):
Larger engines tend to encourage higher speeds. Higher speeds take a higher level of skill to manage successfully. A new rider probably has not developed these skills.

I fully agree, but it also stands true that it's easy to kill yourself on a smaller bike as well. People just gotta drive within their experience either way.

andz

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:07 am

I can draw a direct corelation between motorcycle deaths and speed at impact.

Most studies (real ones) will show that the vast majority of impacts occur at town traffic speeds and are a result of four wheelers. Anyway we are not here to dissuade Mr Bowflex from the fun of biking. If you ride within your limits (and this applies to most things in life) you should have lots of safe fun.

lowrider

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 15):
Anyway we are not here to dissuade Mr Bowflex from the fun of biking.

Agreed. I just don't want him to get into something over his head so he can enjoy a long riding career.
Proud OOTSK member

HAWK21M

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:32 am

The Bajaj Pulsar Oil cooled 200cc DTSi.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Coz

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:36 am

I had riding exprience previously, but the first bike I bought (in highschool) was a Ninja 600R. It was faster than a raped ape and I have the stack of speeding/exhibition of speed tickets to prove it.  Silly

On a serious note, I got hit by a truck two years later. I was doing about 50 mph, the truck was oncoming at about 15 mph. The bastard pulled out right in front of me, and then took off down the street. I was OK, the bike was totalled.

Just last year my cousin was killed instantly when a car made an illegal turn in front of him, sending him into oncoming traffic where he collided with a van coming the opposite direction.

I used to LOVE motorcycles, and can understand those who do as well, but after said experiences, you come to realize that no matter how good you are in riding/driving, there's always that idiot who will ruin your day -- or your life.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 3):
Motorcycle riders come in two categories, those that have been down and those that will go down.

checkmark 

Yep, that sums it up perfectly

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 4):
Brennan, the ultimate beginners bike is a Kawasaki EX250 Ninja. It is in the sport bike configuration that you desire, enough torque to zip you around in city riding, just enough top end for short highway stints, but not enough power to get you in serious trouble.

A buddy of mine had one of those. They're great fun to ride, but a little too light for my taste -- it was a bit twitchy, and you'd feel every gust of side wind.

itsjustme

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:42 am

Larger engines tend to encourage higher speeds.

I strongly disagree. Here's a scenario for you: Two bikers are tooling down the open freeway. One guy is on a Honda Gold Wing which has an engine size of 1830c's. The other guy is on a Ninja ZX with a 900cc engine. Which rider is more apt to be riding like an asshole?

mham001

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:09 am

How many new young riders you see on a Gold Wing? Kawi doesn't make a 900 but a 1000 will just about match that GW in horsepower-with half the weight.

I've seen too many new riders scraped up off the pavement because they were in way over their head riding bikes that are nothing more than race bikes with lights. Even that Fazer with "only" 600ccs has a motor from a race bike, just slightly detuned.

Anyway, its not worth the silly bickering. The OP has laid out his criteria. He's proven himself to be quite sensible and he's gotten a couple of good suggestions that meet his criteria. You people pushing him to to larger faster bikes are simply feeding your own small penis issues. He will become a better rider by listening to his own gut. Once he learns skills, he'll know exactly what kind of bike fits his needs and there will be more bikes to choose from than he knows what to do with.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:16 am

Get a nice Honda Reflex scooter.

http://rideld.smugmug.com/photos/68578403-L.jpg

They're available as a Buckeye powered parachute, too.

http://www.ulflyingmag.com/oct.web/flite.html

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

itsjustme

Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:45 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 20):
How many new young riders you see on a Gold Wing?

Very few but the statement made was, "Larger engines tend to encourage higher speeds" which is not an accurate assessment.

Kawi doesn't make a 900 but a 1000 will just about match that GW in horsepower-with half the weight.

Well, I am sorry but you are wrong. The Ninja ZX-9R has an 899cc engine.

You people pushing him to to larger faster bikes are simply feeding your own small penis issues.

Back the truck up their Freud. Just because you might have issues with the size (or lack of) of your penis, doesn't mean the rest of us do. The OP asked for suggestions and he was given suggestions - period. No one is "pushing him" into anything. The bike I suggested, a Honda Shadow with a 750cc engine is hardly a "larger, faster bike".

Maybe you should refrain from posting here until (A) you know a little more about the topic being discussed and (B) you learn to play nice with others.

RJdxer

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:00 am

You people pushing him to to larger faster bikes are simply feeding your own small penis issues.

Well I was going to keep quiet since he said he only wanted to spend 5k but that statement is way out of line. I ride a Hyabusa almost every day to and from work. That's 1300cc's of pretty raw power. Have for the past year and half. Before that it was a Honda CBR1000. Before that it was a Honda 900CBR. Before that it was a Yamaha 400 which I had to for two weeks before I took it back. Before that, and my first bike, it was a Kawasaki KZ1000. Get that? I started on a 1000cc bike. I've had one accident in 30 years riding. That was due to a miscommunication between the other driver and I, and no I didn't go down so I guess I'm still waiting. Just because a bike has a large engine or is geared to race specs does not mean a novice cannot handle it. It just means they are going to have to use an inordinate amount of caution when operating it. My Hyabusa starts at 0mph just like the smaller bikes portrayed above. The only difference is that it can get to highway speed and beyond a lot more quickly than a 500cc bike. But it is also true that it doesn't have too either. The only thing that keeps it from doing so is discipline. The bike manufacturer does not supply that, you have to provide that on your own. I don't care if you are riding a rebel 250 or my Busa, if you cannot control yourself and give your full attention to situational awareness you are going to get injured or killed in fairly short order. I enjoy the challenge of the Busa. Even after all the other rockets I've ridden and owned, this one still has a new trick to teach me every so often. Let him get what he wants but don't dissuade him against a big bike by tossing out insulting statements like that one. If you can't handle a high horse powered bike then just do us all a favor and keep it to yourself.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

lowrider

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 19):
I strongly disagree. Here's a scenario for you: Two bikers are tooling down the open freeway. One guy is on a Honda Gold Wing which has an engine size of 1830c's. The other guy is on a Ninja ZX with a 900cc engine. Which rider is more apt to be riding like an asshole?

Ok, but if you want to compare apples to apples, make it a Kawi ZX6 with a 636 engine and the ZX9. Or you could compare a GL1200 to the 1800. Now back to the point, I think the OP is right for looking at some of the smaller bikes. I would encourage him to buy a used bike for his first ride as well, for the first time you forget to put the sidestand down.
Proud OOTSK member

2H4

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 22):
Very few but the statement made was, "Larger engines tend to encourage higher speeds" which is not an accurate assessment.

I agree 100%. Poor judgment doesn't care how large the engine is. A more powerful motorcycle will do exactly what the rider asks of it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll take it a step further and point out that a larger engine may in fact be safer than a smaller engine. A 500 or 600cc engine with an erratic power curve and peaky horsepower requires more finesse and skill to ride safely and smoothly than a 900cc twin with smooth, progressive torque and hp curves. In this example, the larger engine allows a new rider to minimize shifting and remain in a given gear for a longer period of time. This means less time spent fiddling with the transmission and more time paying attention to traffic, lane positioning, road hazards, etc.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 24):
I would encourage him to buy a used bike for his first ride as well

checkmark   checkmark  Excellent advice.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 23):
My Hyabusa starts at 0mph just like the smaller bikes portrayed above. The only difference is that it can get to highway speed and beyond a lot more quickly than a 500cc bike. But it is also true that it doesn't have too either. The only thing that keeps it from doing so is discipline. The bike manufacturer does not supply that, you have to provide that on your own. I don't care if you are riding a rebel 250 or my Busa, if you cannot control yourself and give your full attention to situational awareness you are going to get injured or killed in fairly short order.

More excellent advice. I'd share a lane with RJdxer any day.  yes 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AsstChiefMark

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:42 am

I ride a Hyabusa almost every day to and from work.

In the EMS field, we call them "Hey ya, bursa." That's due to the tendency for their riders to suffer bilateral open ankle dislocations when the land feet first after getting thrown off.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

RJdxer

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 26):
That's due to the tendency for their riders to suffer bilateral open ankle dislocations when the land feet first after getting thrown

Well, when I get thrown off, which will be the first time I've ever been thrown off, I'll let you know how I land. Once again, discipline rules. If you want to go out and act crazy like a lot of the vids you see on the internet, your day will come no matter what bike you are riding. If you act responsibly, obey the rules of the road, and assume the worst from every other driver on the road, especially cheese head storm chasers who don't watch the road to begin with,  wink  perhaps you will only have one accident in 30 years and that was both the other drivers and mines fault. I wear a helmet, jacket with hard armor, and usually some good stiff boots. On top of that I've got enough deuce and a half jumps from my service days at all sorts of insane speeds under my belt to have a pretty good idea how to land on hard pavement without serious injury.  wink  I would encourage this young rider to get the lessons, buy a decent helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots as well as ride with responsible riders whenever possible and pick up tips from them.

As to the statement above about accidents, in recent years it has become more and more apparent that the people quickly becoming the highest risk riders are not the teenagers but the wild hoggs type. Men who are approaching middle age with high disposable incomes going out and buying big heavy cruisers that handle like the Queen Mary and have high tip points. That is to say, don't have to be leaned too far before they become unrecoverable. Mrs. RJdxer and I witnessed this in Vegas. A guy not to far from my age basically just let the bike fall over on the street trying to take a corner way to slowly. Good thing for him he had the sense to A. realize the bike was going over and he couldn't save it, B. was going slowly enough he could just jump off and run away from the bike, and C. he had the engine guards that took the brunt of the impact althought the hard cover saddle bag on the left side is no longer pristine. Had he been going just a touch faster there is no way he could have jumped and not injured himself.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

2H4

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 27):
in recent years it has become more and more apparent that the people quickly becoming the highest risk riders are not the teenagers but the wild hoggs type.

I've noticed this, as well. For some reason, Harley/Hog riders seem to have a tendency to lock up the rear brake, get sideways, release it, then suffer from a high-side.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Going home in 78 deg yesterday with non-working AC, I really wanted to buy a motorcycle. Went to the dealer and saw a 1996 Honda CBR 600 with 22,000 miles on it for $3,600. Got some minor scratches on the mirror, so it appears to have been laid down softly once. Good price?

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 21):
They're available as a Buckeye powered parachute, too.

rotfl 

especially cheese head storm chasers who don't watch the road to begin with

rotfl 

If you want to go out and act crazy like a lot of the vids you see on the internet, your day will come no matter what bike you are riding

I see this every day on my college campus. Dumbass frat brats showing off to the hot chicks on the sidewalk.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 28):
Harley/Hog riders

I hate Harleys with a passion. I don't care if they think their exhaust system sounds cool. To me it sounds like:

Quoting MS 169.69:

169.69 MUFFLER.
Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order which blends the exhaust noise into the overall vehicle noise and is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a street or highway. The exhaust system shall not emit or produce a sharp popping or crackling sound. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with such parts and equipment so arranged and kept in such state of repair as to prevent carbon monoxide gas from entering the interior of the vehicle.

No person shall have for sale, sell or offer for sale or use on any motor vehicle any muffler
that fails to comply with the specifications as required by the commissioner of public safety.

That's exactly what Harleys sound like...sharp popping or crackling sounds.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:56 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 29):
Went to the dealer and saw a 1996 Honda CBR 600 with 22,000 miles on it for $3,600.

Buy one of these on eBay:

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 30):
Buy one of these on eBay:

Haha, no  Smile

JFKspotter

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:00 am

Whatever you get, get LoJack with it- my friend had his 3 week old bike stolen. He called to activiate the LoJack and it was found 12 hours later, 4 hours away.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting Jfkspotter (Reply 32):
Whatever you get

At least if it is of value. Anything I can afford wouldn't get LoJack  Wink

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 31):
Haha, no

Fine. One of these, then. I understand Kawasaki isn't the best police bike.

N1120A

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 19):

How many new young riders you see on a Gold Wing?

No, they are usually old and have bad taste  Wink . I agree with Itsjustme, it is about experience and riding within your limitations, not about the size of the bike. If you ride like a moron, zooming in and out of traffic on a 500cc crotch rocket, you are far more likely to eat pavement than you are if you are cruising around on a 1200cc cruiser that you ride responsibly.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 34):
Fine. One of these, then. I understand Kawasaki isn't the best police bike.

As long as it has a real muffler  Smile

N1120A

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:16 am

After a rash of motorcycle fatalities linked to increasing regulation of their noise emission, California lifted most regulation on noise.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BR076

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:18 am

This is the ultimate starters bike, with 185pk at 172 kg , it will give you just enough power to go along with the highway traffic Big grin , but it's not in your budget range i'm afraid.

http://www.suzuki.nl/nmg/gx/ZiexkhnHmeD.jpeg
ú

2H4

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:29 am

I hate Harleys with a passion. I don't care if they think their exhaust system sounds cool. To me it sounds like:

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 36):
As long as it has a real muffler

Kai, your comments regarding motorcycle noise seem contradictory. On one hand, you dislike the "Harley" sound, but on the other hand, you suggest that the Kawasaki should have a "real" muffler. What is your definition of a "real" muffler?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

airfoilsguy

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:40 am

Bikes I have owned with the last one being the current one

Katana 600
CBR 600
CBR 929
SV 1000S

The Katana was a great learner bike for me. Not under powered but will still beat most cars. I wouldn't buy the Ninja 250 just because you will probably want bigger real soon. The bike I have now I got because I wanted a sport bike with torque and without that high pitch rice rocket screech. Just remember that when you are buying a sport bike that 600 cc's is a lot of engine for a small bike. Most 600s will leave a Viper in the dust.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 39):
Kai, your comments regarding motorcycle noise seem contradictory. On one hand, you dislike the "Harley" sound, but on the other hand, you suggest that the Kawasaki should have a "real" muffler. What is your definition of a "real" muffler?

I don't know what either of Mark's police bikes have, but I just know that when a Harley drives by and rattles my car, that's too loud. Especially because most Harley drivers also rev the engine any chance they get and make even more noise.

A muffler should do exactly that...muffle  Smile I think you and I agree from posts a long time ago (we misunderstood each other, then agreed later on)  Smile

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:51 am

If cars were as loud as most Harleys, the car drivers would be cited for noise and exhaust violations.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 42):
If cars were as loud as most Harleys, the car drivers would be cited for noise and exhaust violations

Exactly, which is why I won't discriminate once I become a cop  Smile You make my car rattle, you get a coupon  Smile

2H4

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 41):
I think you and I agree from posts a long time ago (we misunderstood each other, then agreed later on)

Ah, right...I forgot about that.  Smile If I remember correctly, we agreed that a nice, deep sound is one thing, but that it can be taken too far.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

mham001

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 22):
Well, I am sorry but you are wrong. The Ninja ZX-9R has an 899cc engine.

I'm sorry but that bike is no longer sold in the US. My statement was they don't make a 900. They don't (at least not for this market)

If you can't handle a high horse powered bike then just do us all a favor and keep it to yourself.

I also have a 1200cc and 1000cc sport tourers in the garage. Have ridden a liter class for over 15 years. I love speed, I am a speed freak and have been ever since I got on my first Jawa 175. My others now include a 600cc track bike and 2 smaller street bikes. Does not negate the fact that the first timers buying an R1 are buying penis extenders-generally. Not much different than the typical first time Harley rider. I have nothing against experienced riders buying whatever they want. I have seen many instances that the rider who works his way up the ranks will be a better rider in the end, for plenty of reasons, just like after 30 years, I will never match the skills of a rider who learned on a dirt bike. The new riders who learn to rely on their throttle to stay/get out of trouble will never develop many of the situational skills you speak of. They won't learn the importance of weight distribution and how that changes with how you brake and accerlerate for example. The Europeans seem to agree with that and have strict rules to enforce that learning curve. The better we can make our riders, the better we will all be with less bad PR.
We may have some difference of opinions based on geography as well. I understand many live in areas who consider a freeway cloverleaf the biggest thrill around. I am blessed with mountain roads where large bikes are a liability. Wringing out a little bike on 25 mph corners is far safer than wringing out a race-bike-with-lights on the same corner. Lets admit that most who ride do like to lean it over, that is part of the thrill. Learning to do that with less horses IS a good thing and IS safer.
Anyway, my 650 single cylinder super motard is still way more fun than any litre bike or just about anything out there.

Halcyon

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 26):
In the EMS field, we call them "Hey ya, bursa." That's due to the tendency for their riders to suffer bilateral open ankle dislocations when the land feet first after getting thrown off.

Summertime soon! I'll get to see all sorts of motorcycles in strange and various positions. Oh those poor riders! A lot of my friends like them, but there just is not enough protection for me.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:04 am

Here you go, Kai. You can use it for work AND pleasure!

2H4

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 47):
Here you go, Kai. You can use it for work AND pleasure!

There we go...that's better.  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

mham001

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
After a rash of motorcycle fatalities linked to increasing regulation of their noise emission, California lifted most regulation on noise.

That was a joke?