trav110

FlexCar - Your Experiences?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:24 am

www.flexcar.com is their website...

Basically, it's a membership-based car rental service, where you reserve any of a number of different types of cars in advance. As part of your membership package, you get a special card with an RFID tag (or something like that) that unlocks the doors to your designated car, and the keys are in a special holder so that you can just head off once you're in. The daily rate per-car INCLUDES gas and insurance, so that's a bonus. It's aimed at people who may need a specialized vehicle (I.E. Pickup Truck to haul home some new furniture, Minivan when the relatives are in town) who live in the City and may not have a vehicle otherwise...

It's only available in 8 markets throughout the US, but I think I remember watching a program about something offered in Europe along the same lines.

I'm going to college in the fall in Atlanta, and considering the cost of having a parking spot in the student deck next to my dorms (New Ga. State University Commons, downtown, $400/semester), the price of gasoline, and the price of insurance monthly while I'm in college (+/- $200/mo.), this is beginning to seem like a very attractive option for commutes to/from my parents homes in Athens and the lakehouse in SC. Rates run around 60-80 dollars a day, I believe. There is, however, a mileage limit, but that doesnt seem like it'd be too much of a problem for me.

My question is: have any of you ever signed up for such a service? What was your experience? What kind of condition were the cars in? If not, what do you think? Would it be a service you'd be willing to try out?

Thanks!
Ryan

WellHung

RE: FlexCar - Your Experiences?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:30 am

I doubt you're old enough to use the service. And even if you are, there's probably a hefty surcharge for anyone under 25. Call and find out before you get your hopes up.

AeroWesty

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:38 am

I posed a similar question a few months ago, and the thread got no responses. I'd say it's a fairly good idea, and it has the financial backing of Steve Case (AOL money). Many cars in my area are $5/hour with an 8 hour maximum for 24 hours, and the rates are all-inclusive, insurance, gas, maintenance, the works. I'm very tempted to sign up when they stock more cars near me that aren't a bus ride away. A few apartment complexes nearby me have FlexCars parked in their parking lots, which I think is an excellent marketing strategy, but they've been taken when I wanted to rent one.
International Homo of Mystery

LY744

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 1):
I doubt you're old enough to use the service. And even if you are, there's probably a hefty surcharge for anyone under 25.

See the website. Apparently they have plans for the under 21 college folk.

It's either Flexcar or Uhaul, take a pick.  Wink

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

sccutler

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 pm

I have seen this in high-density urban areas (such as SFO), where the cost of full-time car ownership would be prohibitive for most and most residents do not require a car all the time. It sounds to me like a brilliant construct, and I hope it succeeds. Bet it will, too.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...