jafa39

XP/Vista Compatibility Issues?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:14 am

My Laptop is dying, the DVD drive is poked and the USB Bus is having regular fits and seizures.

Buying a new Laptop means it will come with Vista on it and the rest of my organisation has only just caught up with me by installing XP.

They upgraded because powerpoint shows written by me wouldn't play correctly on pre-XP OS's.

So, question is, should I get a new laptop and get shot of Vista in favour of XP to reduce compatbility issues or is Vista fully Ok with earlier systems?

Does Vistas's version of word work OK on Win 95 and 98 machines too?
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

N231YE

RE: XP/Vista Compatibility Issues?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:42 am

Why buy Vista when you can buy a Mac?

Signed,
Klaus

----------------------------

Quoting Jafa39 (Thread starter):
So, question is, should I get a new laptop and get shot of Vista in favour of XP to reduce compatbility issues or is Vista fully Ok with earlier systems?

Unless your 'earlier system' is not more than 2 years old (I believe), you'd probably be better off buying a new system, since Vista is pretty hard on the graphics, etc.

As far as the new MS Office 2007, that is not included with Vista, you must purchase that separately (unless of course, you buy a new Vista-PC with Office 2007 pre-installed).

Word 2007 only works on Vista and XP (may be 2000, but I am not sure).

Go3Team

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:44 am

I bought a laptop just prior to the official launch of Vista. It had the Media Center Edition on it. I assume it may still be possible to find one that still has XP on it. If all else fails, back it up, format, and install XP on it. Keep the back up for when they get it right 5 years from now.
Yay Pudding!

jafa39

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting N231YE (Reply 1):
Word 2007 only works on Vista and XP (may be 2000, but I am not sure).

But can I write word docs and they will be readable on win95/98 machine?

N231YE

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:11 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 3):

As long as you save the document in Word 95-2003 format (.doc), and not in Word 2007 (.docx).

RichPhitzwell

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am

The biggest issue you are going to find is if you decide to run 64b and have nothing but 32b programs.

Funny how 64 has been around for a few years yet few programs are capable of it yet.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

jafa39

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 4):
As long as you save the document in Word 95-2003 format (.doc), and not in Word 2007 (.docx).

I am very glad you told me that.....will save me a lot of angst if i have to have Vista

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 5):
The biggest issue you are going to find is if you decide to run 64b and have nothing but 32b programs.

Funny how 64 has been around for a few years yet few programs are capable of it yet.

Now that went WAAAAYYYYY over my head...dammit man...speak English!!!  Wink

RichPhitzwell

Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 6):
Now that went WAAAAYYYYY over my head...dammit man...speak English!!!

By the smile, I realised your just a smart arse, otherwise i would have had to gone all gates on you.
Big version: Width: 48 Height: 30 File size: 11kb

jafa39

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 7):
I realised your just a smart arse,

Not that smart mate.... I really didn't have a clue what you were talking about.....any chance of a translation? doesn't have to be English, you can explain it in American if you like......

deltagator

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:25 pm

dammit man...speak English!!!

You're one to talk Jafa.  Wink

32bit programs vs. 64bit programs. Don't worry about this one. Stick with the 32bit version of Vista if you go with it. I would tend to think that the 32bit version will be installed on mew laptops even if they provide 64bit hardware. The 64bit stuff should really be reserved for servers or high-end engineering workstations. There have been too many issues and lack of driver support for 64bit things in Vista to make it usable for most folsk. Any applications you by will almost always be 32bit applications to the point I don't believe they offer a 64bit version of Office 2007.

Also, if you can stick with Office2003 or OfficeXP do it. Microsoft has continued the dumbing down of their software and Office2007 menus are horrible. If someone has never used Office before they will like it but for those of us who have a clue about it we scream in anger every time we go to create a new file.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

StarAC17

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:27 am

I am very glad you told me that.....will save me a lot of angst if i have to have Vista

Just because you are getting a computer with Vista doesn't mean you need to use Office 2007. I just upgraded my computer to Vista and I just re-installed Office 2003 and it works perfectly fine. I won't update to Office 2007 until my school computers do because it isn't necessary right now.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

jafa39

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 9):
Also, if you can stick with Office2003 or OfficeXP do it.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 10):
Just because you are getting a computer with Vista doesn't mean you need to use Office 2007

Good advice, thanks heaps, I have an Office XP disc and will use that.

FlyKev
Crew

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:17 am

This link is the most helpful thing going for XP to Vista switchers.
http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph..._Vista_Software_Compatibility_List
The site also does hardware.
If its listed as working, your in luck.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

Tom12

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:20 am

Had the same problem. So i installed office 2003 onto my laptop (Running Vista) and it all works fine.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

StarAC17

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Also note that there is a compatibility Pack that you can download to read Office 2007 files on 2003 but in an Office still running XP but it is unlikely that your IT dept has it installed on the systems.

civjetfan

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:11 am

I can't get Cobol 85 to work with vista for class AAAGGGHHH someone help me. I am a computer wiz but i can't figure it out. getting a dynamic link library error for no reason. any thoughts.

rammstein

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:16 am

Quoting Civjetfan (Reply 15):
Cobol 85 ... any thoughts

Yes.  eek   ill   vomit 
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

David L

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 11):
I have an Office XP disc and will use that.

I'm using Office XP on Vista - no problems.

bhmbaglock

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:30 am

Buying a new Laptop means it will come with Vista on it and the rest of my organisation has only just caught up with me by installing XP.

No, XP is still available. We're still selling ~ 95% XP in our business with HP PCs and laptops. The word is that it could be tough to get starting around September though.

There is no "Vista" version of Word/Office. Office 2007 works equally well on Vista or XP.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 3):

As long as you use the old format rather than the new .xml based format, yes. If you get really fancy with what you do, you may lose some features but it's not an issue for many.

The biggest issue you are going to find is if you decide to run 64b and have nothing but 32b programs. Funny how 64 has been around for a few years yet few programs are capable of it yet.

It's very good for highly compute intensive applications like simulations and 3D drafting. 32 bit programs will run fine, the major issues we've run into with 64 bit are mostly driver related.

Vista problems also revolve around drivers but include the 32 bit version. It's really not a Vista problem so much as Vista making the warts of poor software development practices very apparent by enforcing a much more rigorous set of requirements regarding what an application and/or driver may access and how it can do it. It's pretty painful now but in the long run will be a good thing.
Where are all of my respected members going?

Klaus

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 18):
It's really not a Vista problem so much as Vista making the warts of poor software development practices very apparent by enforcing a much more rigorous set of requirements regarding what an application and/or driver may access and how it can do it. It's pretty painful now but in the long run will be a good thing.

It is a Vista problem. Microsoft simply can't get their self-made messes under control. Hard to believe, but some train wrecks actually come in sequential iterations...!

For comparison, check out the upcoming MacOS X 10.5 Leopard: The same system will run on either 32 or 64 bit machines on both PowerPC and Intel, you can continue to use existing 32 bit drivers and applications and new applications and drivers can be universal as well as the system itself: They simply run in the best available mode without the user noticing (except speed and RAM utilization beyond 4GB). And of course it's still safer than Windows is. (You still can run Windows under MacOS if you absolutely want, of course.)

Some people actually can do it properly, but not Microsoft - despite all their resources and experience.

There is nothing fundamental about the Vista 32/64 bit mess, it's just sheer incompetence at work.

And things like that make me furious as a developer.  yuck   gnasher 

David L

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 18):
The biggest issue you are going to find is if you decide to run 64b and have nothing but 32b programs. Funny how 64 has been around for a few years yet few programs are capable of it yet.

It's very good for highly compute intensive applications like simulations and 3D drafting. 32 bit programs will run fine

I think the issue is that the 64-bit version won't run 16-bit applications. As there are still some around, that's one of the reasons the average home user should stick to the 32-bit version.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):
It is a Vista problem. Microsoft simply can't get their self-made messes under control.

No, BHMBAGLOCK is right - he was talking about 3rd party drivers. Vista is stricter about drivers, meaning the quality of the drivers from 3rd parties has to be better and not break the rules. Dodgy drivers apparently cause a large percentage of PC problems.

StarAC17

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):
Some people actually can do it properly, but not Microsoft - despite all their resources and experience.

They must be doing something right because if OSX is a better system and there is several reasons justifying that it is then why are most of the software manufacturers making their products for Windows and not for the Mac. Windows must be doing something right if nearly all the computers in the world run it.

Also a smart Windows user can make it run just as well and stable as OSX any day of the week. Sure there are programs that crashe every now and then but it is a minor inconvenience compared to getting the BSOD every time there was and error in Windows 95/98/ME. Also usually when there is a forced shut down of an application its usually the fault of the software and not the OS.

jafa39

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting David L (Reply 20):
Dodgy drivers apparently cause a large percentage of PC problems.

Not to mention traffic accidents!  Wink

David L

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 22):
Not to mention traffic accidents!

I can't believe I set myself up for that one. I'm useless!

BigOrange

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:20 am

You can still get some laptops with XP.

Dell have some, and Overstock.com have a few.

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting David L (Reply 20):
No, BHMBAGLOCK is right - he was talking about 3rd party drivers. Vista is stricter about drivers, meaning the quality of the drivers from 3rd parties has to be better and not break the rules. Dodgy drivers apparently cause a large percentage of PC problems.

I was talking about the fact that Microsoft is incapable of producing a single, consistent and functional operating system for both 32 and 64 bit operation - which is merely another symptom of the much deeper malaise MS has worked themselves and their customers into.

The well-known driver mess under Windows is at least partially a consequence of negligent and messy structural design in Windows from day one. And their apparent incapability of moving to an updated platform (while Apple has just done its third complete platform upgrade with very little fallout) speaks volumes.

So much money - so few ideas!

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 21):
They must be doing something right because if OSX is a better system and there is several reasons justifying that it is then why are most of the software manufacturers making their products for Windows and not for the Mac.

Easy: Because MS was massively pushed into the corporate domain by a then-dominant IBM with the "IBM PC" while Apple more or less neglected that same area.

Millions of people readily believed that that made PCs the best there was and saddled themselves with them for their personal use as well. And the rest is history.

Fortunately, history doesn't always repeat itself, and as much as IBM has fallen deep and hard when MS supplanted them as a seemingly unassailable monopoly, the same is possible for Microsoft - even likely given the paralyzed and stagnating state they're in.

Since Apple's 2001 switch to MacOS X, MacOS tool and application development is at an all-time high and still accelerating - together with hardware sales. I wouldn't lose sleep over that.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 21):
Windows must be doing something right if nearly all the computers in the world run it.

Once you subtract office terminals, cash registers and other similar uses for Windows PCs, you'll find that the Windows dominance is far less pronounced than you may believe. When people are spending their own money for something they'll have to use themselves, many become much more discerning...

StarAC17

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 25):

Once you subtract office terminals, cash registers and other similar uses for Windows PCs, you'll find that the Windows dominance is far less pronounced than you may believe. When people are spending their own money for something they'll have to use themselves, many become much more discerning...

Very Well and I'm all for competition and will force Microsoft to further improve Vista (which runs very well on my PC) through Service Packs, additional releases or in their next release which is Vienna. Also the common uses for Windows PCs as you mentioned is where MS gets most of its revenue from so that value is very relevant and they cator more to the business, retail aspect than they do for the personal user.

I do not blame MS for this because its good business for them.

A good quote I read comparing the two systems is as follows:

A mac is like a BMW, very flash and a good product but can't really be changed and A PC is a handyman's car where they are able to make adjustments and customize it however they feel and are subsequently learn more how the system works.

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 26):
A mac is like a BMW, very flash and a good product but can't really be changed and A PC is a handyman's car where they are able to make adjustments and customize it however they feel and are subsequently learn more how the system works.

That was true to some extent in earlier times, but that's been long ago. Nowadays MacOS X is at least as customizable as Windows is - the kernel of the operating system is even available in source code. Try looking for the Windows sources if you want. Together with literally thousands of tweaks and extensions you could spend years on exploring the possibilities. In many ways MacOS X is much more "tweak-friendly" than Windows is.

As for the hardware side, there really is less and less point in building computers from scratch. Pretty much the sole remaining niche is building a cheap computer and spending everything saved on the graphics card for games.

Besides that there is very little advantage to it any more today over what you can buy complete (and with good support if you're choosing the right manufacturer).

RichPhitzwell

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:29 am

So Klaus, what you are saying then is:

Am I understanding you correctly?

jafa39

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 26):
A PC is a handyman's car where they are able to make adjustments and customize it however they feel and are subsequently learn more how the system works.

Which is the same arguement people use to praise Firefox over IE.....fickle bunch you geeks, like a bunch of Hormonal girls.....either you're "IN" or you're Chopped liver  Wink

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 28):
Am I understanding you correctly?

For most people who actually tried, that does indeed seem to be the tenor...

David L

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:14 am

The well-known driver mess under Windows is at least partially a consequence of negligent and messy structural design in Windows from day one.

Maybe but it's largely due to poor driver design - they'll work with the current version of the OS but the guidelines are ignored so they won't necessarily work with the next version.

Easy: Because MS was massively pushed into the corporate domain by a then-dominant IBM with the "IBM PC" while Apple more or less neglected that same area.

I don't disagree with that. I was an Amiga fan when they still existed and its OS had even more advantages than Apple at the time. The point I've been making is that, for the average user, Windows isn't as bad as you make it out to be.  Smile

Klaus

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting David L (Reply 31):
Maybe but it's largely due to poor driver design - they'll work with the current version of the OS but the guidelines are ignored so they won't necessarily work with the next version.

That still would not justify a completely separate 64 bit version of the OS which is widely incompatible with the 32 bit variant while others manage to make the same step unified and much smoother.

I don't disagree with that. I was an Amiga fan when they still existed and its OS had even more advantages than Apple at the time.

"Even more"?

Debatable - preemptive multitasking and for the time relatively advanced colour graphics hardware are about the only advantages I remember... the user interface was simply horrid.

The point I've been making is that, for the average user, Windows isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

It isn't?

Just re-check what I've actually said - and compare that to the statements by the vast majority of people who have actually used both systems for any serious amount of time...

I myself have used Windows 3.1, 98 and XP over the years, just not primarily. But there's no need for you to take my word for it. There are many others as well.

David L

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 32):
preemptive multitasking and for the time relatively advanced colour graphics hardware are about the only advantages I remember...

Pretty big advantages for many users, e.g. NASA's real-time telemetry. They used them for years while nothing else could compete. Programming the OS was a breeze in C (which was all the rage at the time) and there were independent statistics (the details of which I can't remember) of how much more productive developers could be, on average, compared to Apple and IBM.

the user interface was simply horrid.

By default, yes, but highly customisable. The main reason was that the native video was interlaced PAL/NTSC, which meant video productions, e.g. Babylon 5, could be developed much more cheaply than with any contemporary gear. The downside was that it was quite low resolution for other applications. That changed soon afterwards with the advent of highly expandable tower Amigas and graphics cards of VGA/SVGA capability.

However, it went the way of Philips 2000 and Betamax for similar reasons - people didn't want quality, they wanted quantity. There's also the fact that Commodore managment seemed to be holding the R & D people back because they thought the A500 would keep selling forever.  Sad

dan2002

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:48 am

Just re-check what I've actually said - and compare that to the statements by the vast majority of people who have actually used both systems for any serious amount of time...

I used an OSX machine almost every day for 2 years, and came home to my XP machine, and in the end, I remember having more problems with things on OSX than on my home XP machine. And I know I wasn't the only one to feel that way.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Klaus

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:06 am

Quoting David L (Reply 33):
Pretty big advantages for many users, e.g. NASA's real-time telemetry.

There's no doubt that the Amiga had a good run on its special advantages, but it did little for the overall development of computers as we know them today.

There were quite a few different systems with such special advantages back in the days, but Microsoft and Apple were the only ones who had a lasting impact - the former on sheer forced corporate momentum, the latter by pioneering most of what we take for granted when using a computer today. Much of the infrastructure below the surface was introduced conceptually by earlier mainframe systems, primarily Unix-based ones.

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 34):
I used an OSX machine almost every day for 2 years, and came home to my XP machine, and in the end, I remember having more problems with things on OSX than on my home XP machine.

Such as?

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 34):
And I know I wasn't the only one to feel that way.

The majority of the experiences are the other way around. Few people who know both willingly choose Windows - except for games thus far.

David L

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 35):
but Microsoft and Apple were the only ones who had a lasting impact - the former on sheer forced corporate momentum, the latter by pioneering most of what we take for granted when using a computer today.

Helped largely by Commodore's managment restraining their R & D people. It wasn't the OS or technical philosophy that held the Amiga back.

Klaus

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting David L (Reply 36):
Helped largely by Commodore's managment restraining their R & D people.

Indeed - a tragic management failure if there ever was one.

Quoting David L (Reply 36):
It wasn't the OS or technical philosophy that held the Amiga back.

I think that one is still up for debate - especially regarding the operating system as far as I can tell. It takes more than a few individual standout features to keep a system alive.

dan2002

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:50 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 35):
Such as?

A plethora of USB power failures (more than one machine), random shutdowns, keyboards and mice that didn't work worth a damn, and a program crash here and there (usually iTunes or iChat).
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Klaus

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 38):
A plethora of USB power failures (more than one machine), random shutdowns, keyboards and mice that didn't work worth a damn,

What in the world were you plugging into the Macs to short them out? All these symptoms are entirely consistent with that. You can damage any computer with a sufficient amount of abuse.

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 38):
and a program crash here and there (usually iTunes or iChat).

Under the circumstances, I'm not surprised about that either. Of course Windows applications never ever crash, as we all know.  eyebrow 

AC773

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 39):
Of course Windows applications never ever crash, as we all know.

Actually, the only Windows program that's ever crashed on me has been iTunes.  crazy 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

tmatt95

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 40):
Actually, the only Windows program that's ever crashed on me has been iTunes. crazy

Not really the best advert for a Mac

To try and keep the thread on topic, I have found all the programs I have tried, work well under Vista but then again I have only tried a few in PC World.

and Steve Jobs said unto his followers, of course windows applications always crash and everyone who uses Windows sees the blue screen of death every time they boot up their computer and they believed him and he was pleased - (Mac owners manual, page 15 chapter 5.)

Wink Wow!

Matt

[Edited 2007-04-09 14:33:07]

Klaus

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:41 pm

yawn 

dan2002

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:49 pm

What in the world were you plugging into the Macs to short them out? All these symptoms are entirely consistent with that. You can damage any computer with a sufficient amount of abuse.

We never plugged anything into the USB ports except for the occasional thumb drive or camera. Alot of times we would boot up the computers and just have no power to the USB ports at all.

StarAC17

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:02 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 27):
As for the hardware side, there really is less and less point in building computers from scratch. Pretty much the sole remaining niche is building a cheap computer and spending everything saved on the graphics card for games.

I disagree, I customize my systems so I can select the hardwarer that goes in it. I can choose the Motherboard, HDD size and brand, RAM, the case and Video card etc. Also with a PC if a component fails such as the HD I can replace just that component and continue on my way. With most Mac's you would have to send it in and wait several weeks to get the system back because it is all one integrated unit similar to a laptop but not one.

This may be fine for the average person (a majority of computer users) who do not care to know about the inner workings of the system and are fine with sending the system in but for a lot of techheads like myself I would rather be able to change the components myself.

Klaus

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 43):
We never plugged anything into the USB ports except for the occasional thumb drive or camera. Alot of times we would boot up the computers and just have no power to the USB ports at all.

Since Macs generally work just fine with USB (and I've seen no such failures among the Mac users I know), I'd take a closer look at both what you were plugging in and the environment and habits of the users (especially regarding static discharges - few people are aware of how they originate and how to deal with them).

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 44):
I disagree, I customize my systems so I can select the hardwarer that goes in it. I can choose the Motherboard, HDD size and brand, RAM, the case and Video card etc. Also with a PC if a component fails such as the HD I can replace just that component and continue on my way. With most Mac's you would have to send it in and wait several weeks to get the system back because it is all one integrated unit similar to a laptop but not one.

Sure, if configuring your computer reaches the level of a separate hobby on its own you'll probably want to install, configure and maintain Linux as well, just for the heck of it.

But as far as normal configuration needs are concerned you wouldn't really be much constrained with a Mac outside of hardcore gaming (and not at all with the Mac Pro). You can of course swap/extend harddisks, memory, even CPUs (except in the MacBooks) if you want.

People are actually doing quite a bit of tinkering on the Mac side as well, just in somewhat different ways.

Individual people have different interests, but in this case it's more a matter of preferences than about actual advantages.

tmatt95

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:36 am

How has a topic with the title "XP/Vista Compatibility Issues?" turned into a Mac thread?  weeping 

jafa39

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 46):
How has a topic with the title "XP/Vista Compatibility Issues?" turned into a Mac thread?

Because Klaus is here........

Klaus

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 47):
Because Klaus is here........

Nonsense. I've primarily dealt with topical or related points above, popular expectations notwithstanding.  Yeah sure

dan2002

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 45):
Since Macs generally work just fine with USB (and I've seen no such failures among the Mac users I know), I'd take a closer look at both what you were plugging in and the environment and habits of the users (especially regarding static discharges - few people are aware of how they originate and how to deal with them).

Well the room did have carpet, but I dont think that was an issue.