emrecan

F1: 2007 Malaysia GP

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:43 pm

After 2 weeks we are on a new F1 week.

As usual I vote for Ferrari and I am expecting a double from Kimi and Felipe (no matter which one wins)

Also I guess Hamilton will be ahead of Balonso.. Hamilton is a much better driver than Balonso.

I hope this weekend we will watch a great and excited GP in Kuala Lumpur....

cornish

RE: F1: 2007 Malaysia GP

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting Emrecan (Thread starter):
Also I guess Hamilton will be ahead of Balonso.. Hamilton is a much better driver than Balonso.

Well I'm a big Hamilton fan from his performances in GP2 last year, but even he wouldn't think he was a better driver than Alonso.

And currently Alonso is the best driver in F1 - no contest.

But I'm thinking perhaps a Massa win on Sunday. I'm also thinking Renault will perform better too.

Malaysia is a much better guide of the season ahead than Australia. Malaysia has characteristics much more like the majority of F1 circuits than Melbourne. Whoever goes well this weekend should be in good shape for the rest of the year.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

jamesbuk

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Traction control axed for 08 season

Well there we go. TC has been axed for next year. Could be interesting  silly 

I think quali will be:

Massa
Alonso
Raikkonen
Hamilton
Heidfeld
Fisichella

And the race will be:

Massa
Raikkonen
Alonso
Hamilton

This is basically all off of gut feeling right now.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

cornish

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 2):
Well there we go. TC has been axed for next year. Could be interesting

Yes I'm pleased about that. Put's more skill emphasis on the driver as more mistakes will be punished. Could be more tricky for the new drivers though, as they won't be ble to overdrive and get away with it a la Kubica and Rosberg last year in future.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

emrecan

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:36 pm

Cornish:

Balonso is the best driver?????? Come on, he is the most lucky driver, that's all.....

cornish

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 4):
Balonso is the best driver?????? Come on, he is the most lucky driver, that's all.....

Two World Championships suggests otherwise - thats two more than the rest of the field put together (and while Schumacher was still around).

I suspect your view would be a little different if he was a Ferrari driver wouldn't it ?  Wink

jamesbuk

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 3):
Yes I'm pleased about that. Put's more skill emphasis on the driver

Same and button will have the biggest advantage as he reportedly uses the lowest TC setting.

And I have to agree, Alonso is the best driver on the grid, for now. I dont think he has the raw pace to last though.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

cornish

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 6):
Alonso is the best driver on the grid, for now. I dont think he has the raw pace to last though.

Ah but raw pace alone isn't enough. What Alonso has is quite incredible consistency. In that respect he is very like Schuey in his ability to nail quick lap after quick lap from the start to finish of the race. No one else has shown the ability to do that race after race.

How often do you see him make a mistake either? And his smoothness keeps the car from breaking down too.

In other words, like it or not - he is the complete package.

But I do think Hamilton could prove to show similar ability in time - I do hope so  Smile

bill142

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:04 pm

It will be another McLaren Ferrari fight. BMW and Renault might stir the pot a little, but I doubt it.

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 4):

How was it luck? You don't win two world championships by luck alone. Just face facts, Ferrari and Schumacher were outclassed by Renault and Alonso.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 3):
Yes I'm pleased about that. Put's more skill emphasis on the driver as more mistakes will be punished. Could be more tricky for the new drivers though, as they won't be ble to overdrive and get away with it a la Kubica and Rosberg last year in future.

This will be good as it will separate the men from the boys. This is only possible due to the FIA introducing the common ECU which will have limited parameters for the teams to adjust.

I dont think he has the raw pace to last though.

You don't need just raw pace. Raw pace the whole distance breaks the car. You've gotta think. Know when to push, when to ease off.

kaddyuk

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Same and button will have the biggest advantage as he reportedly uses the lowest TC setting.

I've heard this as well... But i still dont think it will help jenson as Honda are turning out to be a real let down as always. I had high hopes for them this season but i dont think they'll ever manage to even challenge the front runners...

The season so far looks like the teams are listed as follows for speed...

1. Ferrari
2. Mclaren-Mercedes
3. BMW
4. Williams
5. Renault

I was surprised by how well Super Aguri did in Australia and I hope their performance continues. I like anthony davidson and i'd love to see the B team out perform their A team...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

emrecan

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:18 pm

Bill142:

I think you haven't followed last 2 season and you are asking about his luck !

Cornish:

It is not because Balonso is not a Ferrari driver; if he was in Ferrari I would also not support him. I don't like the way he acts. By the way I want to add I never told him that he is a bad driver. I don't know if there is a possibility but if you check my last year's posts you can see I've also congragulated him .

Anyway I hope this year we will witness a great season  Smile Without the races the weekends were boring

bill142

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 10):

I think you haven't followed last 2 season and you are asking about his luck !

You're just trying to yank my chain right? Ferrari weren't even in the picture in 2005, if I remember correctly McLaren and Raikkonen were challenging for the title. In 2006, Renault clearly had the faster car at the beginning of the season. Ferrari caught up. If you call Schumacher's engine failure in Japan luck for Alonso, let me remind you of Alonso's engine failure in Italy which was lucky for Schumacher. Oh and what about in 2006 when Schumacher was lucky to collect a point in Hungary, despite not finishing the race, courtesy of Kubicas disqualification.

Here are some stats for you

2005:
Alonso:
Wins 7
Podiums 15
Retirements 1
DNS 1
Worst Result 11th
Total Points 133

Raikkonen:
Wins 7
Podiums 12
Retirements 2
DNS 1
Worst Result 11th
Total Points 112

Daylight

Schumacher:
Wins 1
Podiums 5
Retirements 6
Worst result 10th
Total Points 62

2006:
Alonso:
Wins 7
Podiums 14
Retirements 2
Worst Result 5th
Total Points 134

Schumacher:
Wins 7
Podiums 12
Retirements 2 (3 failed to finish Hungarian GP but still scored points)
Worst Result 8th (classified as a points scorer courtesy of Kubicas disqualification)
Total Points 121

Now, if you think that was just "luck" you're kidding yourself.

emrecan

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Bill142:

Really I don't want to argue about this. I just told what I think and it is true. In 2006 Schumi made stupid mistakes in Monaco and Hungary. In 2005 Balonso got the title because Kimi had stupid failures. You cannot reject this, check what has happened to Kimi in 2005.

We will see at the end of this season, what Balonso will do. Hamilton is 10 times better than Balonso. Just wait, in next 4-5 races it will be clear

bill142

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 12):

Really I don't want to argue about this. I just told what I think and it is true. In 2006 Schumi made stupid mistakes in Monaco and Hungary. In 2005 Balonso got the title because Kimi had stupid failures. You cannot reject this, check what has happened to Kimi in 2005.

That dosn't mean he was lucky. Renault had their act togeather, McLaren didn't. That's clear, even to blind Freddy.

emrecan

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Bill142:

It is not bad to be lucky, why are u pushing yourself?

bill142

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Emrecan (Reply 14):

It is not bad to be lucky, why are u pushing yourself?

Because I'm constipated.

emrecan

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:16 pm

Bill142:

:D great answer

[Edited 2007-04-02 14:24:12]

cornish

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 9):
I was surprised by how well Super Aguri did in Australia and I hope their performance continues.

Not as surprising as it may first appear. As Button pointed out (rather embarassingly for Honda thanks to the claims it was a different car) when asked about their performance relative to his, that he wasn't surprised because he put that car on Pole Position in Melbourne last year.......

And it went very well in the latter part of last season.

and i'd love to see the B team out perform their A team...

on a similar note it will be interesting to see how Williams performs against Toyota in Malaysia. Rosberg actually had one of the drives of the race in Oz - but wasn't noticed by everybody. If he goes well again it will be a big embarassment for Toyota.

I don't like the way he acts.

As opposed to Schuey's questionable driving ethics, his deliberate stop in Monaco Qualifying last year, or Kimi's monosyballic utterings to TV. Alonso isn't that bad.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 11):
let me remind you of Alonso's engine failure in Italy which was lucky for Schumacher.

And that follwed the laughable disqualification in qualifying when he was alleged to have blocked Massa even though he was miles in front.

Or mass dampers banned purely after Ferrari and McLaren protested after they couldn't make theirs work so well......such a fundamental change to have to make to the car midseason.

bill142

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 17):

And that follwed the laughable disqualification in qualifying when he was alleged to have blocked Massa even though he was miles in front.

Or mass dampers banned purely after Ferrari and McLaren protested after they couldn't make theirs work so well......such a fundamental change to have to make to the car midseason.

Forgot about those.

legoguy

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:30 pm

It is not because Balonso is not a Ferrari driver; if he was in Ferrari I would also not support him. I don't like the way he acts.

The same could be said about Schumacher. His antics caused up roar at most races. Alonso is a great driver and has rarely ever made mistakes over the past 2 grandprix season's. He has earned his two championship titles. He won last year despite all that crap Ferrari threw at him such as 'holding' Massa up during Monza Qualifying. There is no way Alonso is just lucky.

in 2006 Schumi made stupid mistakes in Monaco and Hungary.

Exactly   To me this suggests Schumacher acted WORSE than Alonso   We are all entitled to our opinions however.

I was surprised by how well Super Aguri did in Australia and I hope their performance continues. I like anthony davidson and i'd love to see the B team out perform their A team...

Me too, I think Super Aguri will be beating Honda for the next few races.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 8):
It will be another McLaren Ferrari fight. BMW and Renault might stir the pot a little, but I doubt it.

My thoughts as well but I still sadily see Ferrari winning  

[Edited 2007-04-02 14:42:56]
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

EMA747

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:50 am

Looking forward to the race but LET'S HAVE SOME RAIN. Then we can really see who is who and how the rookies handle it.
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

ba757

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:02 am

Oh it is nice to see Emrecan again with the Balonso is lucky argument - it seems a while since I had this argument all last season with you.

Nobody was worse than Schumacher for dirty tactics, nobody. Alonso has skill and he doesn't particularly play dirty.

As for the race, I don't know - the result could be anything. I still think a lot of the teams true performance is an unknown quantity, so, I'll just sit back and enjoy the race on Sunday morning.

Adam

bill142

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting EMA747 (Reply 20):
Looking forward to the race but LET'S HAVE SOME RAIN. Then we can really see who is who and how the rookies handle it.

Rain has been forecast.

Stealthz

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:41 pm

Wonder how fast the Ferraris will be now they have to have rigid floors like (most) other teams!!

Interesting weekend coming up

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

sudden

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Although I would prefer dry conditions to actually have something to compare with from last race. Just to see if things are to follow a pattern in regards to the pace of the cars/drivers.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:46 pm

Raikkonen admits to Engine troubles

Source: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38823

Quote:
Kimi Raikkonen has admitted Ferrari still has concerns about his engine going in to this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix.

it emerged after the race that his Ferrari V8 developed a small water leak in the closing stages.

Raikkonen says an engine change and the resulting 10-place grid penalty are not totally out of the question – a scenario he concedes would heavily compromise his weekend.

Seems that Raikkonen might be driving his car too hard again...

sudden

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 25):
Seems that Raikkonen might be driving his car too hard again...

Again?
Last race he didn't go faster then he needed, so that would not be the case.
The story about Mclaren we have already discussed so not much more to add to that, really.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 26):
Last race he didn't go faster then he needed

How do you know that he didnt go faster than needed?

The story about Mclaren we have already discussed so not much more to add to that, really.

But the items that do matter:-
1. Ferarris are known to be rock solid cars with fantastic reliability!!
2. Kimi is known to have little mechanical sympathy for his cars...

Who knows... Perhaps the ferrari's aren't as reliable as they used to be which would be a disaster to their title chances!!

sudden

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 27):
How do you know that he didnt go faster than needed?

Honestly I don't personally know, but that's what we have been able to read at least. How much of it that is actually true is another story though.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

EMA747

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:11 am

I hope poor old Button has a better race this time.

I also wonder how the BMWs will go as they looked quite good in Oz. It would be nice to see a McLaren, Renault, BMW fight for best of the rest if Ferrari is going to win again. (which I hope they don't  Big grin).
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

ba757

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:30 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 27):
Who knows... Perhaps the ferrari's aren't as reliable as they used to be which would be a disaster to their title chances!!

On the flip side, it would be great for F1...

Adam

bill142

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:55 am

Again?
Last race he didn't go faster then he needed, so that would not be the case.

The car had a water leak. His engine was running hot towards the end of the race, so the potential that it was damaged is quite high. The heat in Malaysia certainly won't work in Ferrari's favour.

Quoting EMA747 (Reply 29):
I also wonder how the BMWs will go as they looked quite good in Oz.

They looked good all pre-season, but their strategy in Melbourne gave it all away that the car is not as quick as it was portrayed to be. They certainly have the potential to win a race later in the the season, so long as they continue to develop the car the right way.

Quoting BA757 (Reply 30):

And for McLaren  wink 

ba757

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 31):
And for McLaren

Of course, that would be what I was getting at!  Wink

Adam

nosedive

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:48 pm

In 2005 Balonso got the title because Kimi had stupid failures. You cannot reject this, check what has happened to Kimi in 2005.

Bias for 1,000, Alex.

Darkhorse, Williams?

Interesting comments from the Toyota Camp:
"That's because in winter testing we run in lower temperatures than the tyres are designed for.

"Melbourne is also a place where, historically, the tyre warm-up is difficult because it's never that hot and the surface is quite smooth.

"Sepang is therefore the first race that really tells you how the car behaves without warming up issues.
-Pascal Vasselon Tech Director

My predictions:

Qualy
1. Massa
2. Alonso
3. Heidfeld
Kimi's engine concerns put him outside the top 5.

Race
1. Massa
2. Alonso
3. Kimi
4. Heidfeld
5. Hamilton

waterpolodan

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:15 am

I can't wait for this weekend, especially if it rains. I can't remember the last time there was a boring wet race, probably because I'm a Schumacher fan and the only wet races in recent memory where one driver has run away with it have been with him in the lead  Smile. I'm really happy to see Williams back towards the front, I'm a fan of Rosberg and I've always had a soft spot for Williams as a team, so it's good to see them with an engine that won't drag them further down the grid each weekend like the Cosworth did last year, and even better to see them beating Toyota with maybe a quarter or less of the funds that Toyota have...

legoguy

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 am

If it does rain this weekend, it will bring mayhem and great entertainment Big grin

Remember 2001 when it rained. The race was turned upside down with mistakes everywhere. Ferrari were on another planet that day.

kaddyuk

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 34):
I'm really happy to see Williams back towards the front,

Me too... they're one of the last of a rare breed of constructors (Not car manufacturer backed). I personally hope they can win a championship in the next few years.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 31):
The heat in Malaysia certainly won't work in Ferrari's favour.

Of all the tracks you DONT want a problem with the cooling system...

Quoting BA757 (Reply 30):

Not a life-long member of the Tifiosi are you?

bill142

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:11 am

Spyker have lodged a protest against STR. I assume it is about the car essentially being the same as the RBR car. However I thought the FIA originally dismissed Spykers claims as the problem lies in the Concorde agreement and not the FIA regulations.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070405160312.shtml

waterpolodan

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:21 pm

I'm following the live timing on the formula 1 website, there are 15 minutes left in the first practice session, and there are already some obvious trends... Ferrari and Mclaren are at the top again this weekend, they're currently in the top 4 spots with Massa a good deal faster than anyone (fantastic, I can't stand Kimi's lack of personality), Renault seems fairly slow but it is just 1st practice, and Honda is an absolute disaster! Currently Button and Barrichello are 17th and 20th, behind the Torro Rossos, last year's Hondas, and, well, everyone except the Spykers. I can't believe this team won a race last year! They seem to be an even bigger waste of money than Toyota, as at least Toyota are consistently in the top 10...

bill142

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Alonso finished two tenths behind Massa, so the gap wasn't that big. Currently in session 2 Massa is still fastest with Rosberg 2nd and Raikkonen 3rd. Alonso and Hamilton are down in 8th and 9th respectively. However there is still about 40 minutes to go.

legoguy

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Felipe Massa predictably set the pace in his dominant Ferrari, but hitting a whopping 84.
2kph in the speed-limited pit lane cost the Brazilian 4,800 euro, payable to the Stewards.

Massa's inconsistancy is starting to show again this season.

Both Renault drivers finish 2nd and 3rd behind Massa at the end of the 2nd practise session.

Button over a second quicker than Barichello but only made 14th.

Hamilton and Alonso finish 8th and 11th respectively.

Rosberg and Wurz finish 5th and 6th respectively.

http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/results/live_flash/index.html

sudden

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 39):
Alonso finished two tenths behind Massa, so the gap wasn't that big. Currently in session 2 Massa is still fastest with Rosberg 2nd and Raikkonen 3rd. Alonso and Hamilton are down in 8th and 9th respectively. However there is still about 40 minutes to go.

Nothing to say about these times as they are pretty useless when trying to determine who is fast or not.

I hope that SA will keep on going strong this race as well. Not one of my top rated teams, but seeing what they started with last year, and where it has gotten them so far, I hope they will score some opints this season.
I feel they deserve it.

Bill,
any photos from last race to share with us?

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

jamesbuk

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:11 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 40):
Massa's inconsistancy is starting to show again this season.

How?

Last race he had to start at the back because of a gear box failure.

Rgds --James--

[Edited 2007-04-06 13:12:36]

legoguy

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 42):
How?

Felipe Massa predictably set the pace in his dominant Ferrari, but hitting a whopping 84.
2kph in the speed-limited pit lane

84km is an extremely high speed to be driving at in the pitlane!! (speed limit is 60 kph) Thats quite a large mistake to make!

sudden

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 43):
Thats quite a large mistake to make!

I bet he did press the speedlimiter, but that it was incorrectly adjusted. Why would any driver go through the pitlane without using the limiter anyway!?

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

legoguy

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 44):
I bet he did press the speedlimiter, but that it was incorrectly adjusted.

If thats the case then it's Ferrari's slip up. Another scenario could be that Massa just pressed the button slightly too late and was already within the pitline entrance before slowing down to the speed limit.

Either way, it's still a huge mistake to make, especially during practise when theres no real hurry like during qualifying or during the race.

sudden

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:45 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 45):
Either way, it's still a huge mistake to make, especially during practise when theres no real hurry like during qualifying or during the race.

True, but they were maybe simulating a race pitstop.
But ok, it happened, and even if it was due to Massa, I dont think his wallet felt very empty after he paid the fine. Big grin

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Duff44

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 35):
Remember 2001 when it rained. The race was turned upside down with mistakes everywhere. Ferrari were on another planet that day.

Every season has one race that is a complete clusterf*ck due to weather or some other factor. That race in 2001 was one of the stranger ones... yeah lets hold a race in Malaysia during Monsoon season! Smart... Big grin
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

jamesbuk

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 45):

But then I saw Coulthard do a smiliar thing at silverstone 3 years back, went flying in, almost hit the wall and locked a tyre to try and slow down almost hitting the back of someone.  silly 

Quoting Sudden (Reply 46):

Haha true! where does the money go when given to the stewards?

rgds --James--

kaddyuk

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:43 am

cost the Brazilian 4,800 euro, payable to the Stewards.

Sucks to be Massa, but can I become a steward...!! They're going to be partying this weekend!! Haha!

Quoting Sudden (Reply 46):
But ok, it happened, and even if it was due to Massa, I dont think his wallet felt very empty after he paid the fine.

He's lucky they affected his wallet and not his race. I think this could be massa's race, if he was careful with his engine in Australia, he's probably got the most reliable engine of the two ferraris this weekend. I'd be a happy camper to see massa win this race...

I dont know why but i just DONT want Hamilton to be successful this season. No matter how much I try, he just still has to prove himself first. Sure he can make a fast car go fast but i'm waiting for him to really shine before he gets my vote...