I have read very little of the thread after my last post, but I have to tell my experiences with Mac OS
X (mostly Tiger) through the past 2 weeks, which have been with 3 Minis, 1 PowerBook, one MacBook, one Cube and a PowerMac G4
. I must say that being a Windows user, its hard to understand, sometimes, how MacOSX manages to do so many things so easily without asking anything. It basically sees printers in a network in a flash. I don't have to tell it where it is, type IP addresses, or anything, it just tells me in a flash which printers are available to be installed. Same for wireless networks. Windows tells too much unrequested info. Macs just works... a bit hard to understand, again.. I really don't know how OS
X does it.
I have been a Windows user for the past 13 years.. since Windows 3.1.. I am an A+ and Network + certified tech (not much, but it tells my involvement in the PC
world).. I became a NT
and Novell Network administrator in 1998.. and now I do basically everything... and yes, for the most part I still find the PC
easier (duh! Obvious).. but I would not recommend a PC
to someone new to computers... AND
if you are a PC
user, it will take some time to get used to it but, if you switch to Mac, you won't be disappointed (other than the fact that there might be one application that you'll want to use that's not available for Mac, such as Flight Sim). Just be patient and try to learn it.
Some nice tips for PC
users: We're used to right clicking. DO
NOT USE the Apple mouse, get a 2 button scroll wheel mouse from Logitech or Microsoft and you'll be feeling better. Right Clicks do work on Macs, but with a 2 button mouse. Try to understand the Mac approach: The OS
actually do more things for you than what Windows do for the computer. A Windows user tells Windows how to do things like 80% of the times. A Mac user (my experience) tells Mac OS
what to do, like 20% of the times it needs to do something. The other 80% OS
X figures out what to do on its own, and it'll do it right!
Apple brought out some stuff that we love and use in Windows before Windows. That is: Icons, the use of the mouse, the recycle bin, integrated search (Spotlight its a Wonder - For example, if I needed the Directory Access connector, I'll just type "Directo..." and Spotlight will show the Directory Access tool as the first result. Same for the Network configuration, or for FileMaker Pro, or Safari.. etc, and all is being shown as you type which is way easier and quicker than browsing through folders or clicking menus- Windows XP
search is nowhere near Spotlight capabilities) the transparency and cool effects now found on Vista, the widgets and many more stuff. If they weren't so good, then Microsoft wouldn't have copied them.
As a conclusion... I have spent 2 weeks working with Macs and Windows, trying to set up a Domain controlled network.. It has taken so long because of the lack of information from the company... they give info drop by drop.. (for example, I've been waiting one whole week for the e-mail users/passwords/servers configuration list)... and probably it wouldn't have been such a success if their would have been PCs.. starting from the fact that most PCs in the price range of a Mac Mini which come bundled with Windows XP
Home do not support Domain Networks, and that would have been a big drawback.
To you PC
users, give Mac a try. You're not only a Windows lover, but also a Linux user wannabe. Maybe you won't feel like switching, but having stated in your Resume that you are avid in Windows, Mac and Linux.. looks pretty good! So even if its not to love it, use it to learn.. for your enrichment.