102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Bill Would Require Bible Classes In TX Schools

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:59 am

I think I'm for this bill.

Kids are Bible retarded nowadays. Prime example last week during the NCAA basketball tournament:
University of Memphis basketball player Joey Dorsey called out Ohio States’ Greg Oden by calling the 7-foot All-American "overrated" and saying that his upcoming meeting with Oden was a modern-day David vs. Goliath, and that Dorsey is Goliath.
LOL…I guess Dorsey was never taught that Goliath lost that bout with David!

Link to the bill.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/pdf/HB01287I.pdf

CastleIsland

RE: Bill Would Require Bible Classes In TX Schools

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Thread starter):

Well, we teach English lit, and that's fiction, so why not?
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:12 am

Thank god this will never pass. If it makes it as a bill, which it won't, then Supreme Court will rip it up.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

DeltaAVL

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:26 am

There have been so many attempts at this bill in various parts of the country. The truth is that it's never going to happen. You can't just exclude other religions like that.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 2):
If it makes it as a bill, which it won't, then Supreme Court will rip it up.

Huh?
How would this bill violate the US Constitution?

AsstChiefMark

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:34 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 4):

If they taught about the history of the Bible, then it might be OK. But, if they teach the content of the Bible, then it would be illegal.

Either way, enough people would see it as teaching religion in public schools to kill it before it took its first steps.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:35 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 4):
Huh?

It might work if it is an elective class only. The problem with that is the school would be obliged to create an elective for other religions and atheism as well. Now, lets get this straight-"the literature and study of the testaments" is the same thing as as class on Christianity. They are just trying to pretend its a humanities class to attempt to find a loophole.

So, offering a course on Christianity cannot be supported by public funds according to the Establishment Clause of The First Amendment of The United States of America (thats alot of capital letters so it must be important). If the kiddies wanted to have bible study after school, its OK according to the Supreme Court.

Things like this have been shot down by the Feds and it will be again.

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:40 am

I think that kids should have to take a religion class, but with all major religions covered and not emphasizing one or the other. Learn the history and geography and cultures that go with each religion.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 6):
Things like this have been shot down by the Feds and it will be again.

Hopefully not by our new court. Separation of Church and State is mentioned nowhere in the Constitution.

AsstChiefMark

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 7):
I think that kids should have to take a religion class, but with all major religions covered and not emphasizing one or the other. Learn the history and geography and cultures that go with each religion.

That's the way I taught my religion lessons in primary school in England. I felt it was more important for the pupils to learn more about the people around them. Lord knows, they get enough Anglican education elsewhere and in former or future classes.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 8):
Separation of Church and State is mentioned nowhere in the Constitution.

You are right, but it does state that no government can support or establish a religion. The Supreme Court has found time and time again that classes on religion in public lower level education is promotion of religion, and I agree. Lets say a moslem in your school is paying for students to study Christianity, is that right? No. Lets say that you move to Utah and the public school has lessons on Mormonism and you do not agree with it. Is that right?

The seperation of church and state first came about as a statement by Jefferson in The Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom . BTW, Jefferson is one of the major contributors to the Constitution and his intent is obvious in this matter.

Whereas Almighty God hath created the mind free; that all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens, or by civil incapacitations, tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and are a departure from the plan of the Holy author of our religion, who being Lord both of body and mind, yet chose not to propagate it by coercions on either, as it was in his Almighty power to do; that the impious presumption of legislators and rulers, civil as well as ecclesiastical, who being themselves but fallible and uninspired men, have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible, and as such endeavouring to impose them on others, hath established and maintained false religions over the greatest part of the world, and through all time; that to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves, is sinful and tyrannical; that even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion, is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor, whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness,

http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrig.../religion/va-religiousfreedom.html

AirTranTUS

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:00 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 7):

Although that is a good idea, they would be able to do every religion but Christianity because someone will say their child is being taught Christianity, and they don't like it.
I love ASO!

diamond

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:02 am

Your title is a little misleading.

The bill would 'require' schools to offer an elective class. It would not 'require' anyone to take the class.
Blank.

102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 10):
BTW, Jefferson is one of the major contributors to the Constitution and his intent is obvious in this matter.

I disagree.
Firstly, during Jefferson’s day the bill of rights only applied to the federal government.

Secondly the first amendment was interpreted for more than a hundred years to mean that Congress is prohibited from establishing a national religious denomination and that Congress can not require that all Americans become Catholics, Anglicans, or members of any other denomination.

LogansGirl

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:10 am

Thank you Fumanchewd!!! Quoting Jefferson is brilliantly appropriate. Apparently rather than teaching the Bible, we should be finding a way to teach more American History & Government.  Wow!
I Love CastleIsland!!!!!!!!!!!!

MDorBust

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:13 am

An elective course, fine. Just offer the same thing for other major religions.

A required course. Not on your life buddy.

Kids are Bible retarded nowadays.

I seriously hope that before you went about disdaining people for being "bible retarded" you knew the legend of Amaterasu and the Kusanagi.

Oh you don't?

Gee, you're retarded then aren't you... by your own standard of lack of knowledge in a religious field.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

futureualpilot

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:19 am

So? What if we dont believe in it, or do not follow any particular religion? I am probably what you consider "bible retarded" and couldn't possibly care less.

I agree with the others, if it were to be an elective class, that is one thing, but making it required is another.
Life is better when you surf.

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 13):
Firstly, during Jefferson’s day the bill of rights only applied to the federal government.

Right, now you're catching on. The federal government secures its citizen's rights to vote, to bear arms, etc, etc.. The constitution is still regulated by the federal government now just as it was back then. That is why the Supreme Court always shoots these things down whenver a red belt town tries to bring it up. I give them my props!

Secondly the first amendment was interpreted for more than a hundred years to mean that Congress is prohibited from establishing a national religious denomination and that Congress can not require that all Americans become Catholics, Anglicans, or members of any other denomination.

Is your source your pastor or church? This is not a fact. Remember, Jefferson wrote, if you had read my post...

that to compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves, is sinful and tyrannical; that even the forcing him to support this or that teacher of his own religious persuasion, is depriving him of the comfortable liberty of giving his contributions to the particular pastor, whose morals he would make his pattern, and whose powers he feels most persuasive to righteousness,

So you would like to qualify it as being dominations of Christianity only and not other religions, but that is immoral. If you read again, you will see that he was very much aware of the dangers of the public being forced to pay for any theological idea. Again, do you think that a Catholic would be happy to pay for a grade school class on Mormonism?

If a parent would like his child to learn a religion, then they should take them to their church, temple, mosque, sweat lodge, whatever.

CastleIsland

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:24 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 15):
An elective course, fine. Just offer the same thing for other major religions.

I completely agree; however:

Can you just imagine Ma and Pa Texan smiling when Junior comes home and proclaims that "we learned about the Koran today!"

A required course. Not on your life buddy.

Ummhmmm. Ummhmmm.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

LogansGirl

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:31 am

FYI... Jefferson was agnostic/atheist for a goodly portion of his life. Second, they weren't intending to not have authority to tell you which Denomination of Christian to be, but that you couldn't be told whether or not to believe in God, gods, goddesses, Hindu, Muslim, Buddha, or Zoroaster. They had lived with TYRRANY. They were determined to establish laws that prevented TYRRANY here. Christians are mostly doing what they think is right, but you guys really don't have to convert the rest of us on the planet. We'll get to the other side the same way you do.

102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:36 am

I seriously hope that before you went about disdaining people for being "bible retarded" you knew the legend of Amaterasu and the Kusanagi.

Oh you don't?

In typical aNet non-av fashion, you’re logic is flawed.
I never brought up nor did I purport to know anything about Amaterasu and the Kusanagi. Dorsey on the other hand tried to call out Greg Oden by comparing thier upcoming meeting with the All-American with the Biblical story of David vs Goliath, but in his stupidity compared himself with Goliath.

MDorBust

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 18):
Can you just imagine Ma and Pa Texan smiling when Junior comes home and proclaims that "we learned about the Koran today!"

Well, if Ma and Pa Texan are my wife and I, we would probably get our copy of the Koran off the shelf and review what little Jr learned.

It's there right next to the Torah, the Bible, the Book of Morman, the Book of Urantia and a couple of others.

Now, if it was my mother in law... she'd have a coronary on the spot.  ghost 
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

MDorBust

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:40 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 20):
I never brought up nor did I purport to know anything about Amaterasu and the Kusanagi.

Hey that's fine if you want to get defensive about not knowing anything about non-christian religions.

But, if you don't want to know about other religions... Then why should I, or Greg Oden, know anything about the bible?

Hey look, I'm happy being a bible retard.

You just have to own up to being a Muslin, Hindu, Judaism, Shinto etc etc etc retard.

CastleIsland

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 21):
Well, if Ma and Pa Texan are my wife and I, we would probably get our copy of the Koran off the shelf and review what little Jr learned.

It's there right next to the Torah, the Bible, the Book of Morman, the Book of Urantia and a couple of others.

I knew that about you (or suspected so), just based on your posts...Thanks for explaining though. It's nice to learn about how conservatives can have non-stereotypical views.

It's also very nice to see people teaching their kids about all faiths. checkmark 

Now, if it was my mother in law... she'd have a coronary on the spot.

LMMFAO.

Falcon84

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 am

Some are that way because, you know, they're like Jewish, or Muslim, or Hindu? Get the picture.

As for the rest, send them to Sunday School to learn the Holy Scriptures, not public schoos.

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 8):
Separation of Church and State is mentioned nowhere in the Constitution.

You are right, but it does state that no government can support or establish a religion.

Exactly, and if the Holy Bible is taught, then it can be interpreted that the government is endorsing and supporting Christianity. That's Unconstitutional, my friend.

Let them try to do this. Even this mostly conservative court will toss this one out.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LogansGirl

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:47 am

True Conservative thinking, Mate. Being a conservative means knowing why seperation of Church and State is the right thing to do. It's a mistaken belief that we're all Christians just because the Christians among us tend to be the louder voices, not to mention that it's politically incorrect to not be Christian in this Country. Conservative thinking allows me, dare I say has blessed all of us with the Freedom of Religion.

102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 22):
Hey that's fine if you want to get defensive about not knowing anything about non-christian religions.

FYI: David vs Goliath is a Jewish story! And actually the Qur'an has an account of the story as well.

Falcon84

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting LogansGirl (Reply 25):
Conservative thinking allows me, dare I say has blessed all of us with the Freedom of Religion.

Or, if one choose, freedom FROM religion.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LogansGirl

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:52 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 26):
FYI: David vs Goliath is a Jewish story! And actually the Qur'an has an account of the story as well.

Matter of fact, it's also a Christian story since your religion was a direct derivative of the Jewish faith. Not all Christian stories are Jewish, but all Jewish stories became Christian in the religion's inception.

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 26):

Since the Bible and the Koran have their roots in the torah, that is not a revelation. That story, however, is not a part of buddhism or any other world religion. You seem to keep forgetting about all of the others. There are alot of Hindu's, Buddhists, and atheists in this country paying taxes.

Mir

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:55 am

Since the bill calls for the class to be an elective, I have no real problem with it, but I can't help but thinking that if a certain group of people put half the effort that they put into providing a quality religious education into providing a quality general education, our schools would be in a lot better shape. I noticed that the Texas curriculum contained nothing about music classes, and puts foreign language as an enrichment class instead of the foundation class that it should be.

Not to be disparaging about the Bible or anything, but kids are also lagging in a number of far more important subjects (such as basic English).

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 20):
Dorsey on the other hand tried to call out Greg Oden by comparing thier upcoming meeting with the All-American with the Biblical story of David vs Goliath, but in his stupidity compared himself with Goliath.

Is it really news to you that athletes can say some really dumb things?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Yellowstone

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 1):

As a matter of fact, for my senior year English class, part of our summer reading was selections from the Bible. The justification was that Western lit is so full of Biblical allusions and themes that you need some knowledge of the Bible to understand the references. We also read Edith Hamilton's Mythology, in case anyone is worried that the teacher was trying to promote religion.
Back on topic, I have no problem with there being a course on world religions at the high school level, including Christianity. Just don't teach it exclusively. And make it an elective.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Go3Team

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:01 am

I think you've changed my mind on this topic based on the following quote:

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):
That's the way I taught my religion lessons in primary school in England.

The founding fathers worded the constitution that the government may not establish a religion. The actual words of seperation of Church and State, are based on a Supreme Court ruling sometime in the 50s or 60s. England has a state religion, known as The Church of England. The Church of England was created by some king so he could divorce his wife, or something to that effect - my history is a little rusty. Seeing as England also teaching religion in schools, I imagine it's based on The Church of England. If kids are forced to hear these lessons, and no lessons from other religions, then that's what the founding fathers wanted to prevent. The people of The United States, have complete freedom to practice any religion they want. They also have the freedom to not to want any part of it, which would include not wanting their kids to be taught it. Hearing lessons about history in biblical times, I think would be ok. It wouldn't be preaching, it's just history.

Having said that, it should be ok, if the class is an elective. No child is forced to take those. The fact that government money is used to pay the teacher or other things isn't really all that bad. Churches use government funds on a frequent basis. Some churches use school buildings as their meeting place as well.
Yay Pudding!

luv2fly

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:02 am

I have to agree! If it is so almighty important then consider a religious school.
You can cut the irony with a knife

102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):
Not to be disparaging about the Bible or anything, but kids are also lagging in a number of far more important subjects (such as basic English).

Well if improving basic English is such an imperative then, I know of no other book in the history of man that has helped to increase literacy and the English language specifically than the Bible.

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 am

The problem with electives is that people of any religion (and atheism) can request a similiar class as an elective and if the school cannot accomodate, there will be lawsuits. Perhaps a class that encompasses all would be the best solution. Then it truely would be a humanities class.

fumanchewd

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 34):
Well if improving basic English is such an imperative then, I know of no other book in the history of man that has helped to increase literacy and the English language specifically than the Bible.

rotfl  Do you read or speak in the manner of the bible?

Go3Team

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 36):
Do you read or speak in the manner of the bible?

I once saw a plain English Bible. And Fred said to his buddies, "Hey man, don't be killing people."
Yay Pudding!

CastleIsland

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 31):
As a matter of fact, for my senior year English class, part of our summer reading was selections from the Bible. The justification was that Western lit is so full of Biblical allusions and themes that you need some knowledge of the Bible to understand the references.

I have no problem with that. I actually salute it. Teach the Bible; also teach Dostoyevsky, plus the Koran, Book of Tao, Book of Morman, Dhammapada. Please just incite the need to study the gist of all things when they have left school.

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 31):
Back on topic, I have no problem with there being a course on world religions at the high school level, including Christianity. Just don't teach it exclusively. And make it an elective.

Well again, how would the average US family respond to: Hey Ma and Dad, we studied Islam today?

Here in BOS, it might not be so bad (then again, WTF do I know? Bias!). I can't comment on other areas of the country, and I can't state how the curriculum may differ from state to state. This would perpetuate a different understanding of religions. That's a mess. Religion should represent only one truth. In good theory, they all represent the one truth. Many pths to the same summit.

MDorBust

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 34):
I know of no other book in the history of man that has helped to increase literacy and the English language specifically than the Bible.

For most of the history of the bible it was taught in Latin... and most of the people couldn't read it at all because they were illiterate.. and happily kept that way by their aristocratic overlords.

Go3Team

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:23 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 38):
Hey Ma and Dad, we studied Islam today?

Perhaps parents should give approval prior to the kid taking the class. Have the parents go over a summary of what the course will include.

In good theory, they all represent the one truth. Many pths to the same summit.

Maybe the course could be about what all religions have in common. I havn't studied religion, so I don't know if all of them share even one basic teaching.
Yay Pudding!

Mir

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:29 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 35):
Perhaps a class that encompasses all would be the best solution. Then it truely would be a humanities class.

checkmark 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LogansGirl

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 40):
Maybe the course could be about what all religions have in common. I havn't studied religion, so I don't know if all of them share even one basic teaching.

It's not about sharing basic concepts.

In good theory, they all represent the one truth. Many pths to the same summit.

It's not the concept of following a route, it's many different routes can still get you where you're going. We're headed for the same destination, we just take different routes (i.e. paths).

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 35):
Perhaps a class that encompasses all would be the best solution. Then it truely would be a humanities class.

checkmark  checkmark 

It boggles my mind that comparative religion isn't a mandatory part of U.S. curriculum.

Yellowstone

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:37 am

Well again, how would the average US family respond to: Hey Ma and Dad, we studied Islam today?

That's (one of) the points of public education - to dispel the sort of ignorance that would lead to "Ma and Dad" getting upset about such things. I also think this class would best be suited to a high school environment where students have developed some degree of independence in their educational choices. If parents are so close-minded that they would deny their child the chance to learn more about the world around him, then in my opinion they are harming their own child.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

scottieprecord

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:05 pm

Hahaha

But ya, the bible, in some form or another, is already taught in many Texas schools. For example, last year (11th grade), we were taught the old testament out of a bible study book.

From what I've experienced, it's mainly the history that's part of curriculum, under the argument that students need to know this information in order to understand biblical allusions in literary works. It's a reasonable argument to me...

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 43):
It boggles my mind that comparative religion isn't a mandatory part of U.S. curriculum.

I have a feeling that might solve many problems in our country. But there are still a decent number of parents, at least where I live, that feel any exposure to religions other than christianity is heathenism. And of course you'd have many teachers throwing in their bias... it'd be tough to do in public schools, where minds are generally more closed than open.

-Mike

NWA742

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:39 pm

I don't see a problem with requiring schools to offer religious studies - especially ones dealing with the Bible, as it refers to the majority of the religious in this country. I wouldn't have a problem with courses offered over a wide range of religious subjects either.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

fxramper

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:48 pm

We teach the fiction of evolution in science, why not use the Bible in schools.

I'm game.

disruptivehair

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about this ever becoming a law; they propose ridiculous laws in Texas all the time. Some other gems include lowering the age of capital criminal responsibility to 12 years...i.e. you can be executed at 18 for something you did as a 12 year-old. That died. Another bill proposed taking children away from homosexuals, even their biological children. That died. This will too.

gunsontheroof

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 46):
But there are still a decent number of parents, at least where I live, that feel any exposure to religions other than christianity is heathenism.

Which can probably be attributed to the aforementioned lack of comparative religion in public schools.